• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Basketball 2016-2017

Started by WPWells, November 12, 2016, 09:49:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

Opened last night with an ugly win over Fort Wayne (who's projected to win the Summit League). Glad we weren't upset, but we need to be better. Could be a fun year

beach bum

Fort Wayne had a player listed on ESPN as a dark horse to win Player of the Year in all of college basketball....

Romeo

Coach Venny Slocombe

Well...it is still football season. The crowds will get better when Football is over...

WPWells

ricepig

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 15, 2016, 11:34:41 am
Hogs move to 2-0!

They looked pretty good at times last night, hopefully the students and fans will show up.

AirWarren

WPWells

I'll be there on non-Monday/Tuesday games. Monday night is trivia and Tuesday night is college ministry. Otherwise I'm there

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on November 15, 2016, 11:36:55 am
Macon can play.

I remember when he was a SR at PV playing at Jonesboro in the state tournament, he was a skinny kid, haha, but was a player. I had a big PV supporter sitting behind me and I kept asking him where he would play? I don't think he had the grades out of high school and that was the reason he went the JUCO route, it looks like he filled out some.

Romeo

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 15, 2016, 11:26:47 am
Well...it is still football season. The crowds will get better when Football is over...

Thing is, 13,000 tickets were sold for the game and only 4,000 showed up, which was the second smallest crowd at BWA.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Romeo on November 15, 2016, 12:09:22 pm
Thing is, 13,000 tickets were sold for the game and only 4,000 showed up, which was the second smallest crowd at BWA.
Haven't been following BB that close...are we supposed to be bad? Was there a clearance sale at Dillards? That's crazy...

WPWells

We're actually supposed to be really solid...

OB11

Quote from: Romeo on November 15, 2016, 10:55:36 am
My new favorite coach: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/nov/14/southern-illinoiss-barry-hinson-issues-arkansas-fa/

He absolutely blasted the fan base.  I'm honestly not sure what his past connection to Arkansas is, but I found it very odd that an opposing coach would call out a fan base like that. 

Not saying I didn't enjoy it a little bit though.  ;D

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 15, 2016, 12:50:32 pm
We're actually supposed to be really solid...
Where are we picked to finish in the west?

WPWells

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 15, 2016, 01:11:05 pm
Where are we picked to finish in the west?

Basketball doesn't break down by division, but we're picked fifth in the conference. Second among West teams behind A&M

LRRandy

Quote from: OB11 on November 15, 2016, 01:00:05 pm
He absolutely blasted the fan base.  I'm honestly not sure what his past connection to Arkansas is, but I found it very odd that an opposing coach would call out a fan base like that. 

Not saying I didn't enjoy it a little bit though.  ;D
i bet if the game was I little rock more fans would have been there.

BannerMountainMan

This is easily a sweet sixteen team if they can gel together and get some more chemistry together. Macon and Barford are a better combo than madden and bell ever were even though I liked them! Kingsley and Hannahs will most definetly be there and Thomas is much improved 4 guy than Miles was, Thompson Beard and Watkins are reliable off the bench! Jones the freshman look impressive last night! And Bailey and Cook will help! Gonna be a fun year I just now knew about this thread! I love Razorback basketball!! Definetly deserve a better crowd!

Lions84

We been so bad since Nolan left it going to take a SEC title and several good tourney runs to get it back . In the early 1990's you could not get a ticket and after the NC I had friends who took off early on Mondays to go to the hill and would come in late Tuesdays.

But not anymore. Plus more games are TV know than then, Maybe that NWA crowd will get back to going again.

Romeo

I had some concerns about C.J. Jones on whether he could play at this level but in two short games, he's already proven he's no Doobie Jenkins.

ricepig

Quote from: Romeo on November 15, 2016, 03:01:42 pm
I had some concerns about C.J. Jones on whether he could play at this level but in two short games, he's already proven he's no Doobie Jenkins.

Last night was his first action, he had a knee injury for a couple of weeks and they held him out of the opener. What little they showed from Itay proved he wasn't a Doobie, haha.

Redwolves8526

Wonder what kind of record Arkansas will need to get in the tourney? SEC looks weak again this year

beach bum

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on November 16, 2016, 09:10:47 am
Wonder what kind of record Arkansas will need to get in the tourney? SEC looks weak again this year

I think a lot of that has to do with how we fair in our three tough road games in non conferences against Oklahoma State, Texas, and Minnesota. Texas is in Houston so you can pretty much chalk that up as a road game for us. If we only win 1 of those games I think we would have to go minimum 12-6 in the SEC and maybe even 13-5. If we win 2 out of 3 of those road non conference games I think even an 11-7 SEC record may do the trick if you have 2 solid out of conference wins on the road in your pocket. We have to win a game at the SEC tournament too. The way the schedule fell our home schedule is very easy as our tough non conference games are on the road as well as our 1 game against Kentucky in Lexington. For us to have the season we are expecting as Hog fans we have to go undefeated at Bud Walton or no more than 1 loss at home.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on November 15, 2016, 03:01:42 pm

No more Doobie Jenkins. Please.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on November 16, 2016, 09:10:47 am
i believe 22-9 and 12-6 in SEC will get em there, and 1 or 2 wins in the SEC tourney

beach bum

It is not worth a thing because we are only one week into the season but Lunardi  on ESPN came out with his first bracketology and Arkansas is his 2nd team out of the tournament so they think we will be a solid team. It has the SEC with only 3 bids so we definitely need to finish in the top 4 of the SEC to even have a chance at the dance. I couldn't see the SEC having anymore than 5 bids for sure and that would be with a good non conference showing by the SEC as a whole.

ricepig

Way too early to know, we may have some good non-conference wins in the conference, or a bunch of turds.....

BannerMountainMan

Only reason they don't have us in the tourney is because they are not for sure how well the JUCOs are gonna play.

Longfellow

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 18, 2016, 08:20:19 am
Only reason they don't have us in the tourney is because they are not for sure how well the JUCOs are gonna play.
Or maybe it's that this team isn't very good

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Longfellow on November 18, 2016, 08:38:02 am
Or maybe it's that this team isn't very good
Do you even follow razorback basketball? Because if you did you'd know that this is a tourney team man.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on November 18, 2016, 11:47:59 am
Do you even follow razorback basketball? Because if you did you'd know that this is a tourney team man.

That escaped ut-Arlington tonight.....

WPWells

Quote from: HorseFeathers on November 18, 2016, 10:56:47 pm
That escaped ut-Arlington tonight.....

UT-Arlington is picked to win their conference.

bdubyab60

Showed some guts coming back from 17 down, taking the lead and holding on for the win.

BannerMountainMan

3-0 win win win, that was a really really good team, they have all their players back from last year and they had a surprise year last year when it was susposed to be rebuilding, so it's a good win against them! Let's get that W Tuesday @ Minnesota

AirWarren

Coach Venny Slocombe

UT Arlington? hmmmmmmm, is this another rebuilding year for the hogs?

Coach Venny Slocombe

UT Arlington? hmmmmmm, is this another rebuilding year for the hogs?

Romeo

Dustin Thomas isn't an All-American player, but he's a HUGE upgrade from what we've had at the 4 in the past with Michael Sanchez, Devonta Abron (shortest vertical jump ever), JaCorey Williams and Alandise Harris.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 19, 2016, 09:20:34 am
UT Arlington? hmmmmmm, is this another rebuilding year for the hogs?
According to Joe Lunardi UT Arlington is in the tourney, susposed to win their conf. And top 40 team

BannerMountainMan

Kentucky is beatable this year, they are so young and they have gotten out rebounding by 4 or 5 in the first 3 games. Just gotta block out and play with our potential

beach bum

I hope our awful offensive game on Friday gets evened out with some hot shooting on Tuesday.... To win on the road in a tough environment like Minnesota you will have to make some deep balls in numbers.

WPWells

No movement on offense. A whole lot of standing around. Not sure why Mike Anderson doesn't see that a one-on-one style offense where people mostly just stand around doesn't work

bdubyab60

Watkins is a turnover machine. I would prefer him to never shoot. Another horrible first half

beach bum

Make easy lay ups and act like possession of the basketball means something and maybe we might be in this... This is pathetic. I also agree we should be sharing the basketball more but they give it to the other team 1/4 of the time.

WPWells

beach bum

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 22, 2016, 07:53:27 pm
Pathetic.

Do what I did... Changed it to MLS playoffs. Montreal scored right as I turned the channel and it's 2-0 early. The house is rocking in Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 22, 2016, 07:45:14 pm
Watkins is a turnover machine. I would prefer him to never shoot. Another horrible first half

I'm ready for Watkins to go. Been multiple years now of that garbage play.

OB11

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 22, 2016, 07:44:14 pm
No movement on offense. A whole lot of standing around. Not sure why Mike Anderson doesn't see that a one-on-one style offense where people mostly just stand around doesn't work

Might need to get used to seeing that.  With Anderson bringing in 5 guys next year from the same AAU team, don't be surprised if they play AAU style ball.

WPWells

Quote from: beach bum on November 22, 2016, 07:56:22 pm
Do what I did... Changed it to MLS playoffs. Montreal scored right as I turned the channel and it's 2-0 early. The house is rocking in Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

I'm watching Laurie Hernandez slay on Dancing With the Stars

beach bum

Quote from: Fred Bird on November 22, 2016, 08:15:22 pm
I'm watching Laurie Hernandez slay on Dancing With the Stars

Anything right now will do over the Hog basketball game....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas