• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Terry Mohajir talks APR, UMASS wanting in the SBC & more

Started by LMath, May 16, 2014, 11:23:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

UMASS Makes as much sense in the Sun Belt Geographically...as well the AAU conference does period lol..

wildcat_x-mgr

Adding UMass and keeping Idaho... Yeah, that's a pretty major ouch for travel. Can't those two just start up their own conference, and more or less replace the WAC? Next thing we know, Hawaii will be wanting to join us and make travel suck even more.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on May 28, 2014, 12:53:43 am
Adding UMass and keeping Idaho... Yeah, that's a pretty major ouch for travel. Can't those two just start up their own conference, and more or less replace the WAC? Next thing we know, Hawaii will be wanting to join us and make travel suck even more.

Could become the Western Hemisphere Athletic Conference....Stretching from UMASS to Hawaii...To Texas in the South....wow

Uncle Ivan

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 28, 2014, 03:29:06 pm
Not a smart idea on tight budgets to begin with.

Exactly! Keep new teams for the Sun Belt in the south! And send Idaho somewhere else! Why couldn't we get UTSA and La. Tech instead?

dc24

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on May 29, 2014, 02:15:44 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on May 28, 2014, 03:29:06 pm
Not a smart idea on tight budgets to begin with.

Exactly! Keep new teams for the Sun Belt in the south! And send Idaho somewhere else! Why couldn't we get UTSA and La. Tech instead?

Can't just pick and choose who you want for a conference if they don't want to be there.  Louisiana Tech's ego hold them back.  After they moved out of the Sun Belt in all other sports except football (because the Sun Belt didn't sponsor football) they won't ever be coming back.  Their ego kept an 8-4 team out of a bowl game because they didn't want to play ULM a couple of years ago.  They aren't an option unless something drastic happens.  C-USA wanted UTSA because of potential TV market.

While having Idaho and New Mexico State isn't ideal, it's football only and doesn't kill too much of the budget, would be a whole other story if it was for all sports.  I don't think that will happen anytime soon.  As for UMASS.  Love the idea of them boosting our men's basketball prestige, but that's the ONLY positive.  Surely an invitation won't be extended, but the SBC has done crazier things.

wildcat_x-mgr

I really don't mind NMSU that much, at least they're in the south and actually border Texas, which was good for North Texas and is now good for TSU. Idaho borders Canada!

And I know we can't just pick and choose, sadly. The part about Tech and UTSA was more rhetorical than anything, although both would be much preferable than Idaho and UMass.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas