• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A West Playoffs Standings after week 8

Started by AIREDALE25, October 22, 2016, 12:59:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AIREDALE25

1.Greenbrier
2.Alma
3.Harrison
4.Morrilton
I'm thinking by the end of next week Alma will be one with Greenbrier at 2 because after seeing the game Friday Alma dominated Harrison and Greenbrier will probably be the same.

the voice

Not a greenbrier fan , but don't write them off so easily. Morrilton destroyed Harrison in less than 3qtrs. Played fair against Alma. Could be Harrison was still recovering from tough game the week before. I know it affected the dogs against Alma. Greenbrier has a great coach who will have them prepared, actually the two teams are very similar. QBs that scramble and keep drives alive. Burcham will carry the team if needed. I expect a close game from very similar teams

AT

Alma and Greenbrier really aren't that similar schematically at all.

the voice

October 22, 2016, 01:24:57 pm #3 Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:28:19 pm by the voice
Similar in how they move the ball

Both rely on QB to scramble. That's what I am talking about. Those two get yards when there's nothing else. Those two kept drives alive and hurt us more than anything else. Schemes are different but very similar in talent. I will be surprised if this game isn't close

AT

Alma doesn't rely on the QB scramble really. They have a big emphasis on QB power and read.

the voice

Ok. The QB running the ball is a big part of your offense. Greenbrier will also rely on theirs to move the chains. Different plays and schemes as I said.

AT

Quote from: the voice on October 22, 2016, 01:31:05 pm
Ok. The QB running the ball is a big part of your offense. Greenbrier will also rely on theirs to move the chains. Different plays and schemes as I said.

No doubt both teams have good QBs.

AIREDALE25

I'm just saying that Harrison only lost to Greenbrier by 6 or so. Harrison lost to Alma By 35. So. That's what I'm saying if GB could only be them by 6 to me Greenbrier is going to have a tough game.

the voice

What I am saying is Harrison played a slobber knocker the week before , odds are they were still banged up. Harrison had two tough ones in a row. We had three. With Alma being the last. Definitely takes a toll. I expecting a close game. Greenbrier is at home and it's not easy to win there.

Deuceswild

Alma is a very good team but not nearly as good as these folks keep talking, Greenbrier has a legit chance, I will likely watch it next Saturday just to see how it unfolds

The Future

So the way its looking, some round 1 matchups could be

W1 Alma/Greenbrier hosting E4 Forrest City. Should be a easy 2+ score West win either way.
W2 Alma/Greenbrier hosting E3 Blytheville. More entertaining of a matchup but same as above West should win.
W3 Harrison at E2 Batesville. Very interesting game. Could very well be possible Batesville's streak of 6 consecutive semi appearances ends round 1. Still 2 weeks left til then but I probably will still go Batesville at home.
W4 Morrilton at E1 Wynne. Best matchup of these listed. Devil Dog victory isn't out of the realm of possibilities but I still might have to go Wynne in this one. Darn shame the multi game forfeit had to turn Morrilton from a potential 1 seed to a 4th seed. But hey the silver lining here. Putting a great Morrilton at the 4th seed playing a 1 seed definitely helps the West's chances of going 4-0 the first round.

I'm picking
Alma 6-1
Greenbrier 6-1
Harrison 5-2
Morrilton 5-2

Vilonia 2-5
Maumelle 2-5
Farmington 2-5
Clarksville 0-7

With the triangle of Farmington beating Vilonia, Vilonia beating Maumelle, and Maumelle beating Farmington, the next 2 weeks will help decide who finishes where. Both Farmington and Maumelle most likely will go 0-2 and not gain any more tie breaker points. Vilonia will need to win by 2 scores at least this week because Greenbrier will be week 10. Farmington is at 11 points and Maumelle is at 15. If Vilonia can score enough, they will be ahead. Against Clarksville, they should be able to.
I know its not deciding a playoff seed, but hey finishing 5th is better than 7th.

the voice

I'm going to lay this pick out there. Understand it's possible that I may be biased.  But I can see this happening.
Greenbrier 7-0
Morrilton 5-2
Alma 5-2
Harrison 4-3 (maumelle beats them)

walkingguy72396

Bit hard to tell since the Wynne Yellow Jackets have left a path of destruction so far in the east.

Dispite that.  I believe the 2-4 seeds from east.  Will be similar to playing a really good( 5-2) 3 seed.

Forrest City left at least 21 points off the score board vs Batesville.  Also a has solid win over Nettleton,

Batesville vs Blytheville ,  just Watched it.  Batesville won because they can do it all.  If Blytheville would of just converted 2 more first down via the passing game the Chicks would be in the drivers seat for the 2 seed.

So if the West sweeps the East.  Ill go into severe shock, call me an ambulance.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: the voice on October 23, 2016, 04:11:02 pm
I'm going to lay this pick out there. Understand it's possible that I may be biased.  But I can see this happening.
Greenbrier 7-0
Morrilton 5-2
Alma 5-2

What you really want is Greenbrier to lose out and Alma to lose in week 10....and the dogs to max out their playoff points the next two weeks...

the voice

In that scenario Alma would win and greenbrier gets two seed and we get third or fourth depending on Harrison

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Deuceswild on October 22, 2016, 05:07:54 pm
Alma is a very good team but not nearly as good as these folks keep talking, Greenbrier has a legit chance, I will likely watch it next Saturday just to see how it unfolds

Based on what?     

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 24, 2016, 08:28:54 am
Based on what?     

Gut feeling. Hope. His zodiac sign. Alignment of the stars.

Understand it's possible that I may be biased. 

Ya think.

But I can see this happening.
Greenbrier 7-0
Morrilton 5-2
Alma 5-2

Steve Perry 2.11

On a serious note, and in complete honesty, Alma finally played like we've been expecting to this this season. Games 1-7 Alma just looked flat and unenthused for most of the games.

If Alma's performance Friday night was them turning the corner then look out.

With that being said I'll crawl back into the hotbox for another 2 weeks.

Deuceswild

I based mine on watching film, I thought they looked flat prior to the Harrison game. They were better defensively against Harrison OR did Harrison just not block very well? Time will tell. If they blow out Greenbrier, I will be first to admit I was wrong.

PrivateLesson

October 24, 2016, 02:06:10 pm #19 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:09:07 pm by PrivateLesson
Quote from: Deuceswild on October 24, 2016, 01:44:30 pm
I based mine on watching film, I thought they looked flat prior to the Harrison game. They were better defensively against Harrison OR did Harrison just not block very well? Time will tell. If they blow out Greenbrier, I will be first to admit I was wrong.

I just wondered.  I didn't know if you had seen them play, yet. 

I noticed you seem to have a special interest in just 5A, based on a thread you started asking for Players who have offers to play at the next level.   Can I ask who you are referring to as "us" in your post?   Thanks:)   

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on October 24, 2016, 09:16:27 am

With that being said I'll crawl back into the hotboxfor another 2 weeks.
....but you like it hot :)

Deuceswild

No us, I'm just a dad, prolly gonna watch as many playoff games as possible in the 5A, just not sure which ones yet. My son often makes friends with the other kids from the other teams, so if we get get snubbed, we will likely go watch and compare notes.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Deuceswild on October 24, 2016, 02:25:53 pm
No us, I'm just a dad, prolly gonna watch as many playoff games as possible in the 5A, just not sure which ones yet. My son often makes friends with the other kids from the other teams, so if we get get snubbed, we will likely go watch and compare notes.
I understand.  I think many on here make friends while supporting their kids and schools.  Good luck to your son. 

AT

Even with Alma coming out flat defensively, which I can agree with, their points allowed per game in conference play is the best in 5A.

the voice

Devil dogs have given up 115 pts on the season and that's with jv playing third qtr against Harrison, and second half against maumelle a lot against vilonia.
Alma hasn't played greenbrier yet , conference you have already played vilonia , Clarksville and Farmington, let's see at the end who gives up the least points.

AT

Quote from: the voice on October 24, 2016, 03:02:04 pm
Devil dogs have given up 115 pts on the season and that's with jv playing third qtr against Harrison, and second half against maumelle a lot against vilonia.
Alma hasn't played greenbrier yet , conference you have already played vilonia , Clarksville and Farmington, let's see at the end who gives up the least points.

Yes, let's see.

the voice

Currently on season
115 devil dogs
142 Alma

AT

Quote from: the voice on October 24, 2016, 03:04:45 pm
Currently on season
115 devil dogs
142 Alma

Conference play being the key word.

We can trade Greenwood for Little Rock Fair and see how that works out for Morrilton, though.

the voice

You guys have a good team , not arguing that , just you haven't played greenbrier or maumelle yet. If maumelle hasn't quit, they'll score , they have so players that'll score , I think they will beat Harrison if their players show up.

AT

Quote from: the voice on October 24, 2016, 03:11:10 pm
You guys have a good team , not arguing that , just you haven't played greenbrier or maumelle yet. If maumelle hasn't quit, they'll score , they have so players that'll score , I think they will beat Harrison if their players show up.

I don't doubt they do. I think Alma's defense, especially if the secondary has tightened up like they showed against Harrison (save for two plays), starts to shine. 

Youngsta71701

Quote from: the voice on October 22, 2016, 01:13:21 pm
Not a greenbrier fan , but don't write them off so easily. Morrilton destroyed Harrison in less than 3qtrs. Played fair against Alma. Could be Harrison was still recovering from tough game the week before. I know it affected the dogs against Alma. Greenbrier has a great coach who will have them prepared, actually the two teams are very similar. QBs that scramble and keep drives alive. Burcham will carry the team if needed. I expect a close game from very similar teams
There's another Burcham coming through Greenbrier? I remember Neal Burcham was pretty good.

walkingguy72396

1141 east points - Wynne Points 265 =876
893 west points - Alma Points 173=720
876-720=156
156 more PTS Scored in the  East not including Wynne or Alma scores.
Wynne gave up 81
Alma gave up 59
Alma -Wynne Points Allowed Difference:  22 Advantage Alma
Alma -Wynne Points Scored Difference: 92 Advantage Wynne.
Wynne has pulled the starting D against all 5A East teams.
Can not say for sure but to me looks like Alma had maybe 2 games to rest their defense.
Alma leads the 5A in defense.  But since this is not apples compared to apples its just meaningles to the rest of 5A.
Its all not worth the 1s and 0s it took to post this.

Appoligies to all who read this.

AT

All I was saying is that even though Alma has came out flat on defense, they've still done a pretty good job, objectively and subjectively.

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: the voice on October 24, 2016, 03:04:45 pm
Currently on season
115 devil dogs
142 Alma

You sound like Shiloh posters in the old days bragging about beating 1A schools.

Morrilton played Searcy and JA Fair along with Russ which is good this year. Fair has scored 19 points all season. And Searcy is 6A who barely beat some very average 5A teams. Talk about paddin your stats. We'll trade you guys LR Fair for Greenwood. How'd that be?
Greenwood is only averaging 42.2/game....in the 6A/7A..

So if we're gonna have a p!ssing contest let's disect the facts a little closer.

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 24, 2016, 03:06:54 pm
Conference play being the key word.

We can trade Greenwood for Little Rock Fair and see how that works out for Morrilton, though.

Just read this post. Swear I didn't see it before I posted my  statement above.  Looks like our thinking is  in the same direction.

Steve Perry 2.11

I will say this. I watched some Wynne highlights today, as well as PA highlights. I believe if those 2 played I might just have to flip a coin. Wynne is much better than I gave them credit for. They look really impressive to me.

the voice

I didn't start the discussion, I simply stated a fact. Searcy was no cake walk , they beat batesville and wynne in scrimmage, and Russellville lost to greenwood by 3,  like I said let's see at the end of season , after we've played common opponents. Conference games only is fine.

AT

October 24, 2016, 08:37:58 pm #37 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:23:52 pm by Almatrackster
I've been compiling all 5A team's scoring stats:

Points Scored Per Game - Conference Games Only
1. Wynne - 53 - 5A East
2. Pulaski Academy - 52.4 - 5A Central
3. White Hall - 45.8 - 5A South
4. Little Rock McClellan - 45.6 - 5A Central
5. Hot Springs Lakeside - 42.8 - 5A South
6. Blytheville - 42.6 - 5A East
7. Sylvan Hills - 42.2 - 5A Central
8. Morrilton - 39.8 - 5A West
9. Watson Chapel - 38.8 - 5A South
10. Greenbrier - 38.6 - 5A West
11. Batesville - 37.8 - 5A East
12. Little Rock Christian - 35.8 - 5A Central
13. Camden Fairview - 35.2 - 5A South
14. Alma - 34.6 - 5A West
15. Forrest City - 32 - 5A East
16. Valley View - 28 - 5A East
17. Beebe - 27.8 - 5A Central
18. Harrison - 25.6 - 5A West
19. Nettleton - 24 - 5A East
20. Maumelle - 23.8 - 5A West
21. Little Rock Mills - 22.4 - 5A Central
22. Hot Springs - 20.2 - 5A South
23. Little Rock Parkview - 19.6 - 5A Central
24. De Queen - 19.4 - 5A South
25. Magnolia - 18.4 - 5A South
25. Farmington - 18.4 - 5A West
27. Hope - 15.4 - 5A South
28. Greene County Tech - 10.8 - 5A East
29. Clarksville - 8.6 - 5A West
30. Vilonia - 7.2 - 5A West
31. Paragould - 7 - 5A East
32. Little Rock Fair - 3.8 - 5A Central

AT

October 24, 2016, 08:51:36 pm #38 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:24:08 pm by Almatrackster
Points Allowed Per Game - Conference Games Only
1. Alma - 11.8 - 5A West
2. Forrest City - 14.4 - 5A East
3. Little Rock McClellan - 15.2 - 5A Central
4. Wynne - 16.2 - 5A East
5. Morrilton - 17.6 - 5A West
6. Watson Chapel - 18.4 - 5A South
7. Pulaski Academy - 19.6 - 5A Central
8. Sylvan Hills - 21.6 - 5A Central
9. White Hall - 23.6 - 5A South
10. Vilonia - 24.6 - 5A West
11. Blytheville - 24.8 - 5A East
12. Magnolia - 25 - 5A South
13. Farmington - 26.2 - 5A West
14. Greenbrier - 26.8 - 5A West
15. Hot Springs - 27 - 5A South
16. Maumelle - 27.2 - 5A West
17. Nettleton - 29.4 - 5A East
18. Batesville - 30 - 5A East
19. Harrison - 30.2 - 5A West
20. De Queen - 31 - 5A South
21. Clarksville - 32.2 - 5A West
22. Little Rock Mills - 32.4 - 5A Central
23. Beebe - 33.2 - 5A Central
24. Hot Springs Lakeside - 34.0 - 5A Blue
25. Valley View - 36.2 - 5A East
26. Camden Fairview - 36.4 - 5A South
27. Paragould - 36.8 - 5A East
28. Little Rock Christian - 39.4 - 5A Central
29. Hope - 40.6 - 5A South
30. Little Rock Parkview - 41.4 - 5A Central
31. Little Rock Fair - 46.8 - 5A Central
32. Greene County Tech - 47.4 - 5A East

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on October 24, 2016, 06:06:00 pm
I will say this. I watched some Wynne highlights today, as well as PA highlights. I believe if those 2 played I might just have to flip a coin. Wynne is much better than I gave them credit for. They look really impressive to me.

Do you have the same impression as me - they are very similar to Morrilton.  Big, physical, and some kids who can GO.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 24, 2016, 04:03:42 pm
There's another Burcham coming through Greenbrier? I remember Neal Burcham was pretty good.

Yep, and he's GOOD.  G'brier goes as he goes.  He's really impressed me in the 2 games I've seen him play.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: the voice on October 24, 2016, 03:11:10 pm

We haven't.  Our guys are hungry and know that despite the early season struggles, they can still get to the playoffs.  If they go out and execute Friday, they'll give Harrison fits.  With it being at Harrison, I expect a tough game, and it'll be difficult for us to win up there.  But I'm still optimistic about our last 2 games.

Trackster - we don't throw the ball a lot, but when we do we usually have an RPO so there will be some interesting matchups - the secondary vs. our receivers when our QB scrambles, and your LB's vs. our QB and their ability to contain him.  He's slippery.  But I'm getting ahead of myself - we have to play the Gobs first.

PA Dad

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 24, 2016, 08:51:36 pm
Points Allowed Per Game
1. Alma - 11.8 - 5A West
2. Forrest City - 14.4 - 5A East
3. Little Rock McClellan - 15.2 - 5A Central
4. Wynne - 16.2 - 5A East
5. Morrilton - 17.6 - 5A West
6. Watson Chapel - 18.4 - 5A South
7. Pulaski Academy - 19.6 - 5A Central
8. Sylvan Hills - 21.6 - 5A Central
9. White Hall - 23.6 - 5A South
10. Vilonia - 24.6 - 5A West
11. Blytheville - 24.8 - 5A East
12. Magnolia - 25 - 5A South
13. Farmington - 26.2 - 5A West
14. Greenbrier - 26.8 - 5A West
15. Hot Springs - 27 - 5A South
16. Maumelle - 27.2 - 5A West
17. Nettleton - 29.4 - 5A East
18. Batesville - 30 - 5A East
19. Harrison - 30.2 - 5A West
20. De Queen - 31 - 5A South
21. Clarksville - 32.2 - 5A West
22. Little Rock Mills - 32.4 - 5A Central
23. Beebe - 33.2 - 5A Central
24. Hot Springs Lakeside - 34.0 - 5A Blue
25. Valley View - 36.2 - 5A East
26. Camden Fairview - 36.4 - 5A South
27. Paragould - 36.8 - 5A East
28. Little Rock Christian - 39.4 - 5A Central
29. Hope - 40.6 - 5A South
30. Little Rock Parkview - 41.4 - 5A Central
31. Little Rock Fair - 46.8 - 5A Central
32. Greene County Tech - 47.4 - 5A East

The stats are interesting but they can be misleading.  PA has played the varsity all game only against East and Sylvan Hills.  The stats would look much different if the varsity played four quarters every game.  And I'm sure that's true of other teams as well.

AT

Sorry, I should mention those are only conference games.

AT

Although PA can say it the most, many teams take their foot off the pedal after the mercy rule is put in effect. Of course some teams put the mercy rule on more and earlier than others, but these stats give you a vague idea of how a team is doing in their conference.

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 24, 2016, 08:59:00 pm
Do you have the same impression as me - they are very similar to Morrilton.  Big, physical, and some kids who can GO.

Yes they are very similar. I would just give a tiny slight edge to Wynne.

#1jacketfan

What has to happen for Morrilton to get the 3 seed?

the voice

Lots of scenarios can , not that far fetched, if Alma wins and Harrison loses, if Alma loses and Harrison loses devil dogs go to number two , I figure after this week there will be shuffling

#1jacketfan

Quote from: the voice on October 27, 2016, 06:50:21 am
Lots of scenarios can , not that far fetched, if Alma wins and Harrison loses, if Alma loses and Harrison loses devil dogs go to number two , I figure after this week there will be shuffling
Sounds like a good possibility!

Chief-Chickasaw

I'm staying on the positive side after the Chicks lost to Batesville and chalking it up to a good thing because I think Morrilton will get the 3 seed and play Batesville 1st round.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas