• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is happening at Vilonia

Started by PWDad, October 22, 2016, 08:47:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PWDad

I am interested in hearing from some of the 5A West that has played Vilonia this year. What do you think is going on with this years team? Is it Offense? Defense? Play calling? Lack of athletes? Bad luck? Spcifically, what are your players saying in regards to them?
Please do not bash or name specific players, not interested in any of that. I just want to get a feel from other schools what is causing Vilonia to lose so many games in conference play

Go Postal

Didn't they just have a change in coaching staff?  Probably a rebuilding thing on a new way of thinking.  For instance, look at Harrison after 29 years of Tice's style of football, then 4 years of another coach and now the current coach.  It takes time for players (and fans) to learn new ways of thinking, but we eventually do learn that patience does help make your town's team get back on track. I'm not sure if that is the reason, but it's my 2 cents worth.

AIREDALE25

I think it's Just bad game mangement. They only put up 3 against Alma this year so I'm thinking it's more an offense issue then deffense but they are just working on getting better in think they will be decent next year

the voice

October 22, 2016, 10:13:10 am #3 Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:21:30 am by the voice
What I saw mostly earlier and last night was a lack of playmakers.  I honestly think the coach has a solid game plan . He uses what he has. I think most folks overlook the little things he does to keep the other team out of rhythm. It's ugly football when you play the eagles. On offense he makes up for a lack of blocking by spreading the line, running an option attack prevents most blitzs , and the huge gaps from spreading allow the backs to hit an area versus a gap. He changes the snap count a lot. The guy is a veteran coach who does a lot of little things to help his team. Let's be honest , no disrespect to the eagles but they don't have a lot of speed this year. From what I've seen a lot of young guys play the majority of the game. IMO you can't blame the struggles solely on the coach. I know lots of folks wanted a spread attack, if they'd stayed in spread last night, it would have been way worse. You don't have the players to do it  right now. The offense he runs is basic but it works even when you're out manned.

I think you've won the games you should have won. The coach can rally and fire them up and they respond. But in the end grit and determination alone won't always when out.

Jacketman65

I've seem them play twice this year, not bashing, but they just aren't a very good team!  They have a few playmakers, just not enough.  The kids play hard and don't quit.  They will get better. IMO

walkingguy72396

Does Vilonia have a Junior Football League?

I think Wynne has had one for 6 or so years now.

I think its paying off huge right now.

Mattison

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on October 22, 2016, 11:38:47 am
Does Vilonia have a Junior Football League?

I think Wynne has had one for 6 or so years now.

I think its paying off huge right now.

Yes, Vilonia has a very good Pee Wee program, and we have watched this Sr. class play ball since 4-5th grade.  They were "encouraged" by the "then" Head football coach to run the double wing.  Not a bad offense for Pee Wee I must admit.  This Sr class was even mentioned on FF while still in Pee Wee as the class to watch for Vilonia in high school. 

Now my $.02. Through the years since we have watched talent move off to other sports, which in part is to be expected.  But, because of a big division between coaching philosophies and fighting for talent, and coaches telling kids if they play X they cannot play Y, the Athletic programs and the kids are what suffered. The AD should have stepped in and made that opportunity available for those who wanted it, but I digress.

Bottom line, the last 3 yrs having 3 vastly different programs, will cause results as we are seeing, even tho these boys have played their hearts out, and there is a lot of talent on this team, the timing isn't there of a seasoned team.  The talent placement isn't there of a seasoned team.  The depth isn't there either.  While there are a lot of "seasoned" coaches on the sideline, they are not working together as a well oiled coaching machine either.  All this takes time to gel, and this Sr class and possibly the next will be the ones who take the biggest hit for all the changes. At least there will be a new AD for next year and maybe he will make decisions that will help bring the program(s) back to where it should be. Only time will tell.

4VTOWN

IMO The system they ran last year under the interim coach was a better system and fit the kids well. This year the veer is terrible and it has hurt the offense in a huge way. You have a strong quarterback and a tall athletic group of receivers but his passing plays take to long to develop there are no quick outs or slants to get the receivers in the open. He runs the ball up the middle constantly. The defense has looked good at times but when you run the ball up the middle 3 plays in a row for a yard. Its hard to give the defense a break. The hire of the new coach was ridiculous and they should of kept the interim coach that they had. This coaching staff does not want to listen to the players or even try to get a bond with them on the offense side of the ball. If this coach stays there will be a lot more losing seasons to come because the 5A West is a very good conference and you cant just run it up the middle on them.

Devil Dog 17

I saw some positive things coming off of our victory over Vilonia on Fri night. I thought they were more physical than in the past couple of years.  I thought they ran the ball down hill very well. I wasn't comfortable about the outcome until there was about  7 min to go in the game.  They have had so much change in the past several years.  Give them some stability, and you will see some improvement.

purpleswag

Quote from: 4VTOWN on October 24, 2016, 12:33:07 pm
IMO The system they ran last year under the interim coach was a better system and fit the kids well. This year the veer is terrible and it has hurt the offense in a huge way. You have a strong quarterback and a tall athletic group of receivers but his passing plays take too long to develop there are no quick outs or slants to get the receivers in the open. He runs the ball up the middle constantly. The defense has looked good at times but when you run the ball up the middle 3 plays in a row for a yard. It's hard to give the defense a break. The hire of the new coach was ridiculous and they should have kept the interim coach that they had. This coaching staff does not want to listen to the players or even try to get a bond with them on the offense side of the ball. If this coach stays there will be a lot more losing seasons to come because the 5A West is a very good conference and you can't just run it up the middle on them.

About what?

4VTOWN

In game adjustments in what is open or could work. The receivers run down the field wide open. the slant routes are there and the receivers and qb want to do it but the 70 year old first year head coach at Vilonia wont listen so the kids are shutting down. The defense wants to play hard for the defensive coordinator which was last years head coach. The offensive coordinator would also be a heck of a coach if he could run his offense but once again a 70 year old head coach stuck in the 70s football era with The veer which is a terrible offense and one dimensional will not work in the 5A west.

beach bum

Quote from: 4VTOWN on October 24, 2016, 02:39:04 pm
In game adjustments in what is open or could work. The receivers run down the field wide open. the slant routes are there and the receivers and qb want to do it but the 70 year old first year head coach at Vilonia wont listen so the kids are shutting down. The defense wants to play hard for the defensive coordinator which was last years head coach. The offensive coordinator would also be a heck of a coach if he could run his offense but once again a 70 year old head coach stuck in the 70s football era with The veer which is a terrible offense and one dimensional will not work in the 5A west.

I will say.... You have 2 total posts on fearless so far and they are just so enlightening. You should be the head coach. I am sure they would be 8-0 right now under your leadership.

beach bum

Criticizing someone based upon their age is a joke. Nick Saban at Alabama turns 65 this week and has more energy than 90% of the coaches out there in college football. I am in better physical shape at 30 than I was at 20. If someone takes care of their body age is not as much of a factor as you make it out to be. Sounds like you just have a son on the team and think he deserves a 10-0 record. That isn't how life works.

AirWarren

Quote from: Mattison on October 23, 2016, 11:46:06 am
Yes, Vilonia has a very good Pee Wee program, and we have watched this Sr. class play ball since 4-5th grade.  They were "encouraged" by the "then" Head football coach to run the double wing.  Not a bad offense for Pee Wee I must admit.  This Sr class was even mentioned on FF while still in Pee Wee as the class to watch for Vilonia in high school. 

Now my $.02. Through the years since we have watched talent move off to other sports, which in part is to be expected.  But, because of a big division between coaching philosophies and fighting for talent, and coaches telling kids if they play X they cannot play Y, the Athletic programs and the kids are what suffered. The AD should have stepped in and made that opportunity available for those who wanted it, but I digress.

Bottom line, the last 3 yrs having 3 vastly different programs, will cause results as we are seeing, even tho these boys have played their hearts out, and there is a lot of talent on this team, the timing isn't there of a seasoned team.  The talent placement isn't there of a seasoned team.  The depth isn't there either.  While there are a lot of "seasoned" coaches on the sideline, they are not working together as a well oiled coaching machine either.  All this takes time to gel, and this Sr class and possibly the next will be the ones who take the biggest hit for all the changes. At least there will be a new AD for next year and maybe he will make decisions that will help bring the program(s) back to where it should be. Only time will tell.

I saw the pee wee vilonia team get pavement scraped over the weekend by Maumelle. Not sure that is helping build the program.

4VTOWN

lol if you say bud. I am glad you you notice how much I post. Someone asked and I answered didn't know that was a problem. I have been around football long enough to know how to fix things and no I am not saying they would but 8-0 we would have scored more then 36 points in the last 5 games that's for sure. I guess watching every game and seeing what could work and a quarterback who can throw the football and receivers that can catch. That would help the run up the middle every play

the voice

I understand everyone isn't happy with the coach. I respect that. But the struggles of the team can't be laid all on him. His game plan and little things he does keep opponents in check. Anyone with coaching  knowledge can see the little things he does to offset the talent differences. The offense he runs is a proven offense that will produce when you don't match up talent wise. When they switched to spread formation it was sack after sack , no one open , no where to throw and too much pressure. I understand wanting a change , I'm simply saying maybe he's doing what best fits the players he has. As for last years offense, it was a group of local coaches putting together a playbook over a weekend to run because the job was given last minute. Our defense is much improved this year and I think y'all gained more this year than last year. I know you held the ball more. I have no dog in the fight. I can understand not being happy with a coach. I'm just someone who hates to see a coach unfairly blamed , he stepped into a tough situation. Like him or not he's done a good job with players he has.

4VTOWN

It doesn't matter if I have a son playing ball or not. Its the truth of why they aren't winning. They went 5-5 last year and made playoffs With almost all of there offense returning. You hire a head coach that runs a style of offense that will not work in 5A and they are averaging 7 points a game in conference that's pretty pitiful in my opinion. Most of the community was stunned they didn't hire the interim coach and that's also what the kids wanted. But like I said its just my 2 cents.

4VTOWN

October 24, 2016, 02:59:24 pm #17 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:00:55 pm by 4VTOWN
Like I said when we pass the passes are too long of routes to run. The defenders are giving a cushion and the quick routes are there so no need in sack after sack. And I disagree the talent is there. its pretty much the same from last year.

the voice

Who did you beat in conference play last year compared to this season ?

4VTOWN

Lost to Greenbrier, morrilton, and Little Rock Christian

Beat Farmington, maumelle, Clarksville, and harrison

And it's about points being scored. Vilonia is not built to pound the ball up the middle. 36 points in conference is terrible. The defense under defensive coordinator/ last years coach is playing good but they are on the field way too much during the game and wearing out.

Vteagle

One thing that I have observed.....way too many offensive penalties!  They constantly hold, false start, etc. they are constantly behind the chains. Until they can run ANY play, they need to take care of the little things!  Additionally, I have observed alot of dropped passes when they do throw!  Attention to detail is what I am saying, might be surprised by the results.  My .02 cents

purpleswag

October 24, 2016, 06:38:45 pm #21 Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:42:03 pm by purpleswag
Quote from: 4VTOWN on October 24, 2016, 02:55:24 pm
It doesn't matter if I have a son playing ball or not. Its the truth of why they aren't winning. They went 5-5 last year and made playoffs With almost all of there offense returning. You hire a head coach that runs a style of offense that will not work in 5A and they are averaging 7 points a game in conference that's pretty pitiful in my opinion. Most of the community was stunned they didn't hire the interim coach and that's also what the kids wanted. But like I said its just my 2 cents.

Wynne runs the option...works pretty good for them. There is also this school out of California that runs the veer I hear is pretty good.

I also hear of a school down in Louisiana that runs the veer that seems to be pretty good. But, yeah, your right it won't work in 5a Arkansas football  ::)

Silly me, I forgot the colleges that run the offense you say is terrible and won't work in 5a Arkansas football.

Overdahill

Quote from: purpleswag on October 24, 2016, 06:38:45 pm
Wynne runs the option...works pretty good for them. There is also this school out of California that runs the veer I hear is pretty good.

I also hear of a school down in Louisiana that runs the veer that seems to be pretty good. But, yeah, your right it won't work in 5a Arkansas football  ::)

Silly me, I forgot the colleges that run the offense you say is terrible and won't work in 5a Arkansas football.

the fact that so few do run it nationwide at all levels says a lot

purpleswag

Quote from: Overdahill on October 24, 2016, 06:50:50 pm
the fact that so few do run it nationwide at all levels says a lot

What does it say?

the voice

5-5 last year and no worse than 4-6 this year.

Overdahill

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: purpleswag on October 24, 2016, 06:38:45 pm

I think Booneville invented the veer, and it's been pretty good for them.  ;)

Vtown04

Harding University was #7 in the nation last I checked running the flexbone which is a very similar style of offense. Granted they can recruit the talent to fit their scheme, just saying many different schemes can be successful given a commitment to execution.  While Cabot has made accommodations to talent at times, Jarrod Barnes, they have mostly made a living sticking with the Dead T while many people said needed to run the spread to be successful. 

purpleswag

Overdahill

Quote from: purpleswag on October 25, 2016, 04:49:27 am
So is the spread

Im not an advocate for any particular offensive system, do not have any particular interest in Vilonia and I am not about criticizing any coaches or individuals.  My input comes from playing LB in HS and college and calling the on field defensive adjustments. Balanced (and unpredictable) offenses are the hardest to defend as they have a better chance to exploit a defenses weaknesses. If you simply "do what you do" it may be to your advantage some weeks and no so much other weeks depending on a teams defensive personnel and alignments. If you are balanced and have a fairly deep playbook you can take advantage of mismatches

Oldbadger

Harding has been very successful the last few years.  They run the flexbone very well because they have the best in the state advising (coaching?) them as to how to run it.  However, the main reason Harding has been successful is their very good defense.  Beating HSU and OBU was not a result of the offense, but of their defense creating turnovers and the offense taking advantage of it. 

Jacketman65

Parents just need to let the coaches coach and the players play and stay out of it!

purpleswag

Quote from: Oldbadger on October 25, 2016, 11:22:59 pm
Harding has been very successful the last few years.  They run the flexbone very well because they have the best in the state advising (coaching?) them as to how to run it.  However, the main reason Harding has been successful is their very good defense.  Beating HSU and OBU was not a result of the offense, but of their defense creating turnovers and the offense taking advantage of it.

They're averaging 43 points a game. Seems like a pretty good offense as well

HorseFeathers

The problem with most fans and an option or run first offense...is that it's not a pretty boy offense. These days fans want to see a team throw it 50 times a game, because it's "pretty" to watch...but I've seen just as many bad teams try to throw it all over the place as I have bad teams trying to run the option...

Mattison

This is 5A.  You cannot "hide" sub-par players in 5A like you might be able to get away with in lesser conferences. In spread, you might get away with a receiver that has low percentage for a while, but a good defensive coord will pick up on that, and lean secondary to the higher percentage WR (or a favorite receiver).  You can't hide someone on the O-Line, might get by with it first couple of games, but again, a good defense coach will kill your QB by the time you get into conference games, same for backs in a running game, it's not rocket science, Hudl makes it easy for anybody with a notepad and pencil.  Same goes for the other side of the line, find a weak spot and take advantage of it.  You have to have talent in every position on both sides of the line to be competitive, even if that means you play some players both ways.....if you want to win games.  If everybody gets a participation trophy at the end of the year like in Pee Wee... then have 22 different starters, but plan on being done before Youth Hunt weekend.

mohawk

Do people like flashy offenses, or winning? That's the question...

purpleswag

Quote from: Mattison on October 26, 2016, 09:28:35 am
This is 5A.  You cannot "hide" sub-par players in 5A like you might be able to get away with in lesser conferences. In spread, you might get away with a receiver that has low percentage for a while, but a good defensive coord will pick up on that, and lean secondary to the higher percentage WR (or a favorite receiver).  You can't hide someone on the O-Line, might get by with it first couple of games, but again, a good defense coach will kill your QB by the time you get into conference games, same for backs in a running game, it's not rocket science, Hudl makes it easy for anybody with a notepad and pencil.  Same goes for the other side of the line, find a weak spot and take advantage of it.  You have to have talent in every position on both sides of the line to be competitive, even if that means you play some players both ways.....if you want to win games.  If everybody gets a participation trophy at the end of the year like in Pee Wee... then have 22 different starters, but plan on being done before Youth Hunt weekend.

What are you even talking about? Are you saying that Vilonia doesn't have the talent? And what does the 5a have to do with it? Is it easier to hide bad talent in 2a?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: purpleswag on October 26, 2016, 09:48:02 am
What are you even talking about? Are you saying that Vilonia doesn't have the talent? And what does the 5a have to do with it? Is it easier to hide bad talent in 2a?

Yes....because just about every team had weak spots in 2a

purpleswag

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 26, 2016, 10:09:01 am
Yes....because just about every team had weak spots in 2a

I don't buy it. You telling me there isn't weak spots on every team in the 5a? Come on. Every team has weak spots besides maybe a team like England, JC in the past and probably wynne and pa right now.

Some teams have more weak spots than others and those are bad teams. I will believe that Vilonia has too many weak spots but it doesn't matter what classification you are in it's going to be hard to hide weak spots

HorseFeathers

Quote from: purpleswag on October 26, 2016, 10:49:12 am
I don't buy it. You telling me there isn't weak spots on every team in the 5a? Come on. Every team has weak spots besides maybe a team like England, JC in the past and probably wynne and pa right now.

Some teams have more weak spots than others and those are bad teams. I will believe that Vilonia has too many weak spots but it doesn't matter what classification you are in it's going to be hard to hide weak spots

I don't watch much 5a beyond the occasional morrilton game...but I'd say just based on school size, and # of coaches to give more attention to position groups, that the weak spot at a 5a school probably wouldn't be near as glaringly bad as a 2a school...

purpleswag

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 26, 2016, 11:01:37 am
I don't watch much 5a beyond the occasional morrilton game...but I'd say just based on school size, and # of coaches to give more attention to position groups, that the weak spot at a 5a school probably wouldn't be near as glaringly bad as a 2a school...

All things being equal a weak spot is a weak spot is all I'm saying.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: purpleswag on October 26, 2016, 11:19:14 am
All things being equal a weak spot is a weak spot is all I'm saying.

I follow...all I'm saying is that a 5a schools weak spot should be more than a kid filling a jersey cause his friends talked him into playing so they'd have a team

Oldbadger

October 26, 2016, 07:12:02 pm #42 Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:24:09 pm by Oldbadger
Quote from: purpleswag on October 26, 2016, 07:18:47 am
They're averaging 43 points a game. Seems like a pretty good offense as well
They do have a great offense.  But against HSU and OBU offense wasn't what won the game.  HSU turned the ball over 4 times?, I think, which Harding turned into points.  Wasn't it 35 to 3?  They beat OBU 24 to 20. They capitalized on one OBU turnover.  Coach Wheaton was not proud of the OBU effort when I talked with him after the game. As I said, they have the best person in the state running that offense, so, no wonder they do it so well. 

sevenof400

The better answer to this question is what isn't happening at Vilonia.  Specifically, Vilonia should not be classified as a 5A school.  I'd challenge anyone to find a 5A school with less business presence in their town than Vilonia and while economic (business) support is not the end all (be all) for success at the 5A level, trying to compete without it (or at least, so little of it) isn't wise either.

While every community has its own unique (to some extent) set of challenges, Vilonia's seem particularly acute.  It's interesting that it wasn't all that long ago when Greenbrier and Vilonia were pretty much carbon copies of each other but over the last two decades, the city of Greenbrier has enjoyed growth and prosperity while Vilonia falls further behind (economically). 

Agreed this isn't the only problem at Vilonia, but it's a big one.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas