• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morrilton to forfeit wins

Started by MDXPHD, October 05, 2016, 06:13:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MDXPHD

Morrilton will forfeit their four wins this season due to the use of an ineligible player - per school officials.

MoTownDog

Thanks to coach Mac for self reporting and saving the rest of the season.  We always need to do the right things no matter the outcome. 

Brian G

Sorry to hear that news.  Went through a similar deal at my school a few years back.

the voice

Ok let's set this straight, the ineligible player was born in a different country and had he not dressed the games would still have been won. To protect the identity of the young man I'll stop there. No one knew the situation until today. We are the same team and will continue to play as we have minus the player.

ricepig

Quote from: the voice on October 05, 2016, 07:02:09 pm
Ok let's set this straight, the ineligible player was born in a different country and had he not dressed the games would still have been won. To protect the identity of the young man I'll stop there. No one knew the situation until today. We are the same team and will continue to play as we have minus the player.

Age?

the voice

Yes age was the reasoning.

Just have to see how this affects the team mentally

Deuceswild

I think this team will be resilient, the class of the team just got stronger. I bet they come out of this with a chip on their shoulder but facing Alma in 2 days will certainly put this theory to the test.

tmycjy

Quote from: the voice on October 05, 2016, 07:10:02 pm
Yes age was the reasoning.

Just have to see how this affects the team mentally

So that make your team  0-5 0-2 in west play not trying to get u upset just trying fine out what this make u on the season how that effect the other teams

STBruin

Wouldn't he have had to participate in order to have to forfeit?

the voice

Technically no , according to rules they can't dress .

STBruin

That's stupid!!!! If they don't participate then is shouldn't matter...that stinks

the voice

It's an honest mistake, it's sad. But it happens now and we can still make the playoffs.

beach bum

They will still make the playoffs.... even if they were to lose this Friday I still think they get to 4-3 in conference and make the playoffs. That would be a 4 seed I would not want to play.

AT

Quote from: beach bum on October 05, 2016, 07:39:38 pm
They will still make the playoffs.... even if they were to lose this Friday I still think they get to 4-3 in conference and make the playoffs. That would be a 4 seed I would not want to play.

East and West matchup this year right?

Wynne vs Morrilton first round possibility? Best first round game ever?

STBruin

If it's an honest mistake...and I am not saying it is or isn't...I hope they do make the playoffs...would hate it IF a kid who didn't play and only dressed would cost the kids who bust thier tails all summer long...

beach bum

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 05, 2016, 07:41:10 pm
East and West matchup this year right?

Wynne vs Morrilton first round possibility? Best first round game ever?

I was thinking the same thing. I think Morrilton would have to play a near perfect high level game, but I believe they could upset them.

the voice

He played very little. Sorry didn't mean to say he didn't , I meant was wether he played or didn't play had no impact on the wins . I meant if he didn't dress we still win those games.

However the rule says an ineligible player can't dress.

PA Dad

I hate that.  Morrilton just needs to keep their chin up and make the playoffs.  If they're as good as I think they are they still have a good shot at WMS.

MDXPHD

I think Alma wins the conference even with a loss this week. So it changes the playoffs a bit too. If Morrilton got the 2, I believe they would be on the same side as PA.

beach bum

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 05, 2016, 07:50:38 pm
I think Alma wins the conference even with a loss this week. So it changes the playoffs a bit too. If Morrilton got the 2, I believe they would be on the same side as PA.

Even if they win out I don't think they get the 2 seed. Harrison and Greenbrier now have the head to head over Morrilton...

the voice

The two seed is possible if they lose a couple more. I personally think the 3 seed is realistic.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: beach bum on October 05, 2016, 07:54:10 pm
Even if they win out I don't think they get the 2 seed. Harrison and Greenbrier now have the head to head over Morrilton...

Harrison and Greenbrier play each other in 2 weeks, both have to play Alma.

Rampage72501

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on October 05, 2016, 08:04:40 pm
Harrison and Greenbrier play each other in 2 weeks, both have to play Alma.

Okay.  If Morrilton wins out to finish 5-2 in conference, and either Harrison or Greenbrier finishes 5-2, Morrilton would be the lower seed.

I think voice is correct, I would think the 3 seed is most realistic, 4 if the Dogs lose to Alma.  Either way, East 1 or East 2 will have all they want and then some in the first round. 

MDXPHD

The three seed would still put them on PA side, which is unfortunate.

Chief_Osceola™

I can understand the mistake in this situation a lot more than I can ours. A foreign-born student is a whole lot more likely to be an honest mistake than a home-schooled student. I feel bad for the Dogs. I'm angry with the Hornet administration.

Yellowcake

Wow, that just blows. I am sorry to hear this. I bet that school turns it into motivation and is in the thick of things post season.

Really sorry to hear this Dog fans. I will be pulling for you to win out.

sportsguy80

Whoa talk about a shocker...i think it's safe to say no one saw this coming. Makes an already anticipated playoff bracket more interesting. I wonder how big of an impact or advantage was Morrilton's home field advantage going to be?

the voice

I appreciate the comments of support. My son is a senior on this team. I hate this for those guys. They wanted a conference championship, but they've handled it well so far.

MDXPHD

Quote from: the voice on October 05, 2016, 10:16:49 pm
I appreciate the comments of support. My son is a senior on this team. I hate this for those guys. They wanted a conference championship, but they've handled it well so far.

They can just take care of business and go for state! Much better than conference! Good luck. Hope the boys handle it well.

Go Postal

Quote from: the voice on October 05, 2016, 10:16:49 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on October 05, 2016, 10:23:09 pm
They can just take care of business and go for state! Much better than conference! Good luck. Hope the boys handle it well.
My thoughts as well.  It all starts by keep winning starting on Friday.

blue4hire

That's ashame for Morrilton. I don't know the circumstances but I always wonder how mistakes like this get made. Seems like checking ages and gpa's would be a day 1 priority for someone on staff.

AIREDALE25

Wait. So does this mean that Alma had to overall best chance of winning the 5A West?

Go Postal

Quote from: AIREDALE25 on October 06, 2016, 06:48:11 am
Wait. So does this mean that Alma had to overall best chance of winning the 5A West?
Along with Harrison and Greenbrier.  As of right now, Alma and Harrison are tied at 1st seed with 26 tiebreaker points and Greenbrier at 2nd with 20 tiebreaker points.  These 3 teams STILL have to play each other, plus Alma will be playing Morriton this Friday and must get the win.

GuvHog

Realistically the only chance Morrilton has of getting above the 4th seed is beating Alma. If they lose that game, they would lose the tie breaker to Alma, Harrison, and Greenbrier. The tie breaker points wouldn't matter.

MDXPHD

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2016, 08:11:48 am
Realistically the only chance Morrilton has of getting above the 4th seed is beating Alma. If they lose that game, they would lose the tie breaker to Alma, Harrison, and Greenbrier. The tie breaker points wouldn't matter.

The more I think about it, I agree. Even if they do win this Friday, I see Alma only losing to them. With Alma at one loss, and even if Harrison and Greenbrier have 2 losses each, Morrilton still gets the 4 seed right? I guess we don't need to get into all that until later in the season though.

woopork

Well if it's a three way tie it will come down to tiebreakers and tiebreaker points. You still have Har vs GB, GB vs Alma, Har vs Alma, and Alma vs Morrilton that will have big implications. Alma still has to play all 3 of the top teams. If Morrilton beats Alma and runs the table, they could still sneak in at the 2 with a little help. If they lose, It'd be hard for them to get anything but the 4 without some help from the bottom 4. If Harrison or GB can split those games 1-1, or go 2-0 they should win out but look for Maumelle or Vilonia to pick off someone.

GuvHog

Quote from: woopork on October 06, 2016, 08:26:41 am
Well if it's a three way tie it will come down to tiebreakers and tiebreaker points. You still have Har vs GB, GB vs Alma, Har vs Alma, and Alma vs Morrilton that will have big implications. Alma still has to play all 3 of the top teams. If Morrilton beats Alma and runs the table, they could still sneak in at the 2 with a little help. If they lose, It'd be hard for them to get anything but the 4 without some help from the bottom 4. If Harrison or GB can split those games 1-1, or go 2-0 they should win out but look for Maumelle or Vilonia to pick off someone.

For Morrilton to get the 2 seed, both Harrison and Greenbrier would have to finish with 3 conference losses and that's not likely to happen.

GhostofRosswoodCC

The kid was 26 years old????

Seriously  is that what I heard???

Did he have a family and a couple of kids and grandkids???

How in the world did anyone not know???

beach bum

Deuceswild

the voice

You're an idiot if you think he was 26, the kid looks 15, born in another country and was held back a couple years ago due to English being second language. Missed the cut off by days actually, when it was discovered it was reported immediately. Make jokes and say what you will. It's the same play makers that won the games that will play the rest.

Steve Perry 2.11

The kid's counselor ultimately has the first responsibility in checking the kids birth date to see if he will be eligible to participate in athletics his/her Sr year.

If I were a HC, I would have a copy of every kids' birth certificate in my office before any kid came out for the first Fall practice. I wouldn't rely on a counselor to check it for me. Plain and simple.

beach bum

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on October 06, 2016, 09:39:33 am
The kid's counselor ultimately has the first responsibility in checking the kids birth date to see if he will be eligible to participate in athletics his/her Sr year.

If I were a HC, I would have a copy of every kids' birth certificate in my office before any kid came out for the first Fall practice. I wouldn't rely on a counselor to check it for me. Plain and simple.

Every kid has to go to the doctor to get a physical to play. Their date of birth is on the copy of that physical for every kid..... check that if you are a coach.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on October 06, 2016, 09:39:33 am

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe determining eligibility is the responsibility of the head coach and principal, and to a lesser extent the AD.  At least that's what I was told when this happened to us. 

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 06, 2016, 09:56:14 am
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe determining eligibility is the responsibility of the head coach and principal, and to a lesser extent the AD.  At least that's what I was told when this happened to us.

I check the birth certificates at Alma.

Steve Perry 2.11

sportsguy80

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 06, 2016, 09:56:14 am
That is somewhat true. I've seen the counselor, registrar, and the AD determine eligibility at some schools. But I have seen where coaches are very involved and aware of whose eligible or not. Many head football coaches at larger schools don't really have or take the time to do that.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: woopork on October 06, 2016, 08:26:41 am

Tiebreakers only come into play in a perfect triangle.  With the forfeits Morrilton "lost" to Harrison and Greenbrier, no possibility of perfect triangle.

GuvHog

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on October 06, 2016, 12:56:17 pm
Tiebreakers only come into play in a perfect triangle.  With the forfeits Morrilton "lost" to Harrison and Greenbrier, no possibility of perfect triangle.

Yep, if Morrilton loses tomorrow night, they will pretty much have to win out to hold on to the 4th seed and a likely trip to Wynne.

the voice

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2016, 01:37:08 pm
Yep, if Morrilton loses tomorrow night, they will pretty much have to win out to hold on to the 4th seed and a likely trip to Wynne.
If they lose. Yes perhaps they would but they play the last of the hardest three teams in conference tomorrow. And I promise you if they go to win or have to be on the pa side , it's not going to bother these boys. Their reaction was simply we gotta beat em anyway. I'm pretty sure wherever we go it's gonna suck because one good team is going home early.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas