• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 5A WEST (Canines, Felines, Fowl, OH MY...)

Started by Go Postal, July 16, 2016, 02:20:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

Spring sports are over.  Summer is going fast.  Fall will be here before you know it.

Warriors are gone.  'Dales are back.  Let's get this puppy started once again...

Comment and thoughts are welcome.

Go Postal

I saw where Hootens had listed their top 4 West were Alma, Morriton, Greenbrier and Harrison, but that is Hootens.  What is anyone elses thoughts?

tmycjy

Here mine for 5A west
1 alma
2 Morrilton
3 Vilonia
4 Harrison
5 Greenbrier
6. Farmington
7. Maumelle
8 Clarksville

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on July 16, 2016, 12:34:53 pm
I saw where Hootens had listed their top 4 West were Alma, Morriton, Greenbrier and Harrison, but that is Hootens.  What is anyone elses thoughts?

I think that's a pretty reasonable guess on how the West will shake out.

PA Dad

Quote from: tmycjy on July 16, 2016, 12:39:26 pm
Here mine for 5A west
1 alma
2 Morrilton
3 Vilonia
4 Harrison
5 Greenbrier
6. Farmington
7. Maumelle
8 Clarksville

I think Maumelle will be interesting to watch this year.  Last year was a down year, but I hear they have some good young players moving up this year.  Maybe they can return to their 2014 form.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PA Dad on July 16, 2016, 12:41:34 pm
I think Maumelle will be interesting to watch this year.  Last year was a down year, but I hear they have some good young players moving up this year.  Maybe they can return to their 2014 form.

They were supposed to have a really good group of guys moving up, but many are no longer playing football. Defensively they should be a little stronger but the offense may take a step back after losing Acklin and a few really good receivers. Both lines are a big question mark as well because we lost a lot of starters up front. I'm not making any predictions until I see us play a few games. I honestly don't know what to expect.

Overdahill

July 16, 2016, 03:41:00 pm #6 Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:03:26 pm by Overdahill
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on July 16, 2016, 03:02:20 pm
They were supposed to have a really good group of guys moving up, but many are no longer playing football. Defensively they should be a little stronger but the offense may take a step back after losing Acklin and a few really good receivers. Both lines are a big question mark as well because we lost a lot of starters up front. I'm not making any predictions until I see us play a few games. I honestly don't know what to expect.

week one (NLR) could be a rough

Chief_Osceola™

Go Postal

beach bum

1.Alma 7-0
2.Morrilton 5-2
3.Harrison 4-3
4.Greenbrier 4-3
5.Vilonia 3-4
6.Maumelle 3-4
7.Farmington 2-5
8.Clarksville 0-7

..... That will be the standings at the end of the 2016 season in the 5A West. I would say from the 2 seed through the 7 seed any of those teams are capable of getting a win on a given Friday if one team decides to lay an egg and not show up to play at a high level. It should be really fun especially in the 2 through 5 seed area of the conference to see who gets those last playoff spots.

Go Postal

Quote from: beach bum on July 17, 2016, 04:58:38 pm
1.Alma 7-0
2.Morrilton 5-2
3.Harrison 4-3
4.Greenbrier 4-3
5.Vilonia 3-4
6.Maumelle 3-4
7.Farmington 2-5
8.Clarksville 0-7

..... That will be the standings at the end of the 2016 season in the 5A West. I would say from the 2 seed through the 7 seed any of those teams are capable of getting a win on a given Friday if one team decides to lay an egg and not show up to play at a high level. It should be really fun especially in the 2 through 5 seed area of the conference to see who gets those last playoff spots.
It should be interesting.  Here is a recap of last year's Stats of those teams against each other:

7-4, 5-2
@ Greenbrier (L) 28-30
vs Vilonia (W) 38-17
@ Harrison (W) 42-14

7-5, 5-2
@ Vilonia (W) 47-21

5-8, 3-4
@ Harrison (W) 31-10

4-6, 3-4
@ Greenbrier (W) 35-0

Alma was in the 6A, but they did play Harrison in a non conference game

7-5, 4-3
vs Harrison (W) 45-21

the voice

Here's my prediction,

Morrilton
Alma
Greenbrier
Harrison
Maumelle
Farmington
Vilonia
Clarksville

Go Postal

August 05, 2016, 09:20:54 pm #12 Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:22:37 pm by Go Postal
To any Harrison players and fans,
To any West Conference players and fans,
To any Arkansas high school players that played the Goblins and received "The Burlsworth Award",
To any Arkansas Razorback players and fans...

I believe that the movie of this former Harrison Goblin/Arkansas Razorback and Indianapolis Colts draft pick will finally be aired in August.

A life we'll all remember; a trust we'll never forget.
In THREE weeks, experience the inspiring true story of the greatest walk-on in the history of college football. Greater opens in theaters August 26th! ‪#‎BurlsWorthy‬ ‪#‎DoItTheBurlsWay‬ ‪#‎TheBurlsworthFactor‬ ‪#‎GreaterTheMovie‬

Here is a trailer of the movie from earlier this year...

beach bum

August 15, 2016, 09:52:47 pm #13 Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 09:55:03 pm by beach bum
I read where Coach Adams at Farmington pretty much admitted they will not have a lot of offensive weapons this coming season. I imagine they may struggle this year and go about 3-7 or 4-6 overall with a probably 2-5 like record in the 5A West. They will have an ok defense but I agree they will definitely struggle to put points up on the board. I imagine they will beat Clarksville and Huntsville for 2 wins for sure. Then maybe they sneak a win against Pea Ridge or Prairie Grove. That is a maybe for sure. Then the only other 2 winnable games I see are Vilonia and Maumelle, but I don't see them favored in those by any means.

Go Postal

sevenof400 and pantherblue, has InYoGrill fallen off of the face of the Earth?  I haven't seen anything posted by him lately.

pantherblue

IYG is overseas protecting our freedom for a while. Will miss football season.

Overdahill

Quote from: pantherblue on August 19, 2016, 06:31:17 pm

Thank you Grill. Be safe

Go Postal

Quote from: pantherblue on August 19, 2016, 06:31:17 pm
I pity our enemies.  Smooth sailing you old bird.

AirWarren

Thing I noticed about Maumelle tonight. Good sized skill guys. Not a lot of size in the linemen.

Go Postal

I see Alma and Harrison have their upcoming games posted but there is nothing from the other 6 West towns.  You can use this thread if you don't want to start a new one.

Go Postal

September 02, 2016, 10:45:36 pm #20 Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 10:47:28 pm by Go Postal
Week one is in the books
5A/7A Alma (34) Van Buren (21)
4A/5A Clarksville (24) Lamar (19)
5A Greenbrier (54) Beebe (33)
5A/6A Harrison (21) Mountain Home (13)
5A Vilonia (42) Greene County Tech (14)
5A/6A Russellville (14) Morrilton (11)
4A/5A Prairie Grove (35) Farmington (14)

Can anyone give a break down on tonight's West games?

WPWells

Scorpius

Clarksville came ready to play against Lamar, and pretty much shut them down for 44 minutes. 24-7 with 3:49 left. Lamar attempted a comeback, but clarksville made the plays when they needed. In the end the score was a lot closer than it should have been.

With that being said Clarksville is an improved team, but I don't think they are quite on the same level as the top half of the conference. They are pretty decently sized up front, but not huge. Got some decent rb's and a decent qb. Didn't see a while lot of the passing game, and probably won't with the the new offense. They did come out in some spread but mainly stuck to the bone.

Defensively clarksville looked pretty decent. Interior they are fairly big with some playmakers. On the outside is where they will struggle. Lamar got back into the game on poor db play by clarksville, and overall I don't think the speed is there accross the board in the secondary to hang with spread 4 and 5 wide formations. The defense should get plenty of rest during the game if the offense gets to rolling like it did tonight, which should help some.

Clarksville's biggest down fall will be depth. A lot of players play both ways and there isn't a lot of rotating.

Overall Clarksville could surprise a few teams this season. There game will be very old school and should be fairly low scoring, if the defense can make the plays when needed. Also if some underclassmen can step up and provide depth then they will be better off accross the board.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the year turns out for them. I think that the new coach has lit a fire under them, and the town as a whole. Plus the new field is pretty awesome. Wouldn't be surprised to see them finish the year in the middle of the pack in the conference.

sevenof400

With their OOC schedule, we are not going to learn much about Vilonia this year until the start of conference play.

the voice

The Morrilton/Russellville game lived up to hype between the two towns. It was a defensive struggle between two teams.  Coach Dawson in his second year at the school has Russellville looking very sharp. Lots of speed in the secondary and probably the biggest most athletic defensive line Morrilton may see.

Russellville took a 7-0 nothing lead , Morrilton answers with a fg, 7-3. Late in 2nd qtr the dogs get loose and score a TD and go for two. They take a 11-7 lead into the half. In the third quarter Morrilton throws a pick 6, this was the only score of the second half. Hard fought game between two well coached teams.

Go Postal

Week 2 is in the books.

5A vs 7A Alma (26) Springdale (27)
6A vs 5A Siloam Springs (19) Harrison (39)
5A vs 5A Maumelle (21) Wynne (38)
5A vs 5A Morrilton (60) Little Rock Fair (0)
5A vs 4A Vilonia (21) Pottsville (6)
4A vs 5A Heber Springs (41) Greenbrier (52)
4A vs 5A Huntsville (0) Farmington (43)
4A vs 5A Ozark (35) Clarksville (6)

Can anyone give a break down on tonight's West games?

Go Postal

Week 3 is in the books..

6A vs 5A Benton (58) Greenbrier (21)
6A vs 5A Greenwood (35) Alma (12)
5A vs 6A Morrilton (41) Searcy (13)
5A vs 5A Harrison (28) Little Rock Christian (21)
5A vs 5A Little Rock Mills (18) Maumelle (35)
5A vs 4A Clarksville (0) Dardanelle (38)
5A vs 4A Farmington (7) Pea Ridge (13)
3A vs 5A Booneville (20) Vilonia (24)

Preconference standings

Harrison    3-0
Vilonia     3-0
Greenbrier  2-1
Morrilton   2-1
Alma        1-2
Maumelle    1-2
Farmington  1-2
Clarksville 1-2

Slates are now wiped clean.  West Conference starts next week.

the voice

Morriltons defense attacked and shut down the lions passing game. A tough secondary that's made big play after big play. The offense was balanced and scored keeping the pressure on searcy.  After the searcy batesville game last week I wasn't expecting this lopsided game.

Go Postal

Some 5A West live web streaming links below that I have found...

GobTV for Harrison Golden Goblins

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHnUsCDK3U6nuwV4emoPPA

Alma School District for Alma Airedales

https://www.youtube.com/user/AlmaSchools/feed?activity_view=1

Farmcards Live for Farmington Cardinals

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_PwrLq_PPN0PoUhhCfgv-g

Is there any other live video or radio links available for the 5A West?

;) Surely that in this day and age, Motown, Veagles, 'Briar, Cvlle or Mmelle might be trying to have something better than this...

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Go Postal on October 04, 2016, 10:02:27 pm
;) Surely that in this day and age, Motown, Veagles, 'Briar, Cvlle or Mmelle might be trying to have something better than this...

We could, but the PCSSD would probably rule it an unfair competitive advantage to the other schools in the district.

VHSCoach2

So with the news that Morrilton has had to forfeit their four wins, the 5A West standings have had a makeover.  (Please correct these if they are wrong...)

After a quick glance:

T1: Alma, Harrison (2-0, 26 tie-breaker points)
3: Greenbrier (2-0, 20 tie-breaker points)
4: Vilonia (1-1, 7 tie-breaker points)

5: Farmington (1-1, 2 tie-breaker points)
T6: Clarksville, Maumelle, Morrilton (0-2, 0 tie-breaker points)

Go Postal

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on October 05, 2016, 08:22:52 pm
So with the news that Morrilton has had to forfeit their four wins, the 5A West standings have had a makeover.  (Please correct these if they are wrong...)

After a quick glance:

T1: Alma, Harrison (2-0, 26 tie-breaker points)
3: Greenbrier (2-0, 20 tie-breaker points)
4: Vilonia (1-1, 7 tie-breaker points)

5: Farmington (1-1, 2 tie-breaker points)
T6: Clarksville, Maumelle, Morrilton (0-2, 0 tie-breaker points)
That looks about right.  This situation makes every game to be played even more need for the win with 5 games to go.  Always entertaining in the West conference from year to year.

The Future

Go Postal

Go Postal

Don't forget if you cannot make it tonight click on the links above to watch Alma/Morriton, Greenbrier/Farmington or Harrison/Vilonia games.  Heck watch them even if you're at another game.

VHSCoach2

Updated 5A West Standings after Week 6:

1. Harrison: 6-0 (3-0), 39 tie-breaker points
2. Greenbrier: 5-1 (3-0), 33 tie-breaker points
3. Alma: 3-3 (2-1), 26 tie-breaker points
4. Vilonia: 4-2 (1-2), 7 tie-breaker points (ahead of Maumelle based on head-to-head result)

5. Maumelle: 1-5 (1-2), 13 tie-breaker points (behind Vilonia based on head-to-head result)
T6. Morrilton: 1-5 (1-2), 2 tie-breaker points
T6. Farmington: 2-4 (1-2), 2 tie-breaker points
8. Clarksville: 1-5 (0-3)

Next week's schedule:

#1 Harrison at #2 Greenbrier
#3 Alma vs. #8 Clarksville
#4 Vilonia vs. #T6 Farmington
#5 Maumelle vs. #T6 Morrilton

The Future

Harrison at the top of the West?? Must be the 90s again :)

Go Postal

Future, I don't know if you have seen any of the Goblin games on GOBTV YouTube channel, but what really impressed me about this year's team on defense is though they have been small in stature than the teams that they played, that hasn't stopped them from swarming to the ball.  Like a pack of chihuahuas ganging up and bringing down a charging bull. ;)

VHSCoach2

Tonight's schedule:

In the 1 vs. 2 match up, I think Greenbrier's home-field advantage will be just enough to get the job done tonight.

Alma will handle Clarksville with relative ease, as will Morrilton with Maumelle.

Vilonia and Farmington will be a close one, but I'll give the nod to Vilonia at home.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on October 14, 2016, 10:25:24 am
Tonight's schedule:

In the 1 vs. 2 match up, I think Greenbrier's home-field advantage will be just enough to get the job done tonight.

Alma will handle Clarksville with relative ease, as will Morrilton with Maumelle.

Vilonia and Farmington will be a close one, but I'll give the nod to Vilonia at home.

We'll see. We're getting there.

the voice

Yes we will see. The devil dogs aren't Clarksville or Vilonia. They were only beaten on the field by undefeated Russellville.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: the voice on October 14, 2016, 11:19:03 am
Yes we will see. The devil dogs aren't Clarksville or Vilonia. They were only beaten on the field by undefeated Russellville.

Point being, I don't think it will be the blowout some are expecting. Our SoS is pretty strong too.

the voice

I am not expecting a blow out but I don't see a Vilonia type score either. As you wrote we will see .

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: the voice on October 14, 2016, 11:34:39 am
I am not expecting a blow out but I don't see a Vilonia type score either. As you wrote we will see .

Absolutely. Last year was a shootout, and the year before was a bit of a defensive battle, relatively speaking.

the voice

Last year was the worst first half Morrilton played. The inadvertent whistle play , it was a shootout because we spotted you guys 28 points I think. Glad there's no acklin, and our defense is very much improved. There was some serious skill players for maumelle last year.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: the voice on October 14, 2016, 11:51:23 am
Last year was the worst first half Morrilton played. The inadvertent whistle play , it was a shootout because we spotted you guys 28 points I think. Glad there's no acklin, and our defense is very much improved. There was some serious skill players for maumelle last year.

We'all always have good to great skill position players. It just so happens that most of them are sophomores this year with one or 2 juniors and seniors in the mix. The question mark will be up front for us.

the voice

October 14, 2016, 12:01:12 pm #46 Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:03:10 pm by the voice
We return every skill player from last year.  Our lines are pretty good. Secondary has been exceptional, linebackers have been called the best in conference by Alma head coach. Should be interesting game. I expect to see speed on the field. I know maumelle will have skill players. We usually do as well. Expect the hornets to be ready

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: the voice on October 14, 2016, 12:01:12 pm
We return every skill player from last year.  Our lines are pretty good. Secondary has been exceptional, linebackers have been called the best in conference by Alma head coach. Should be interesting game. I expect to see speed on the field. 😉

There will be plenty of that for sure.

Go Postal

October 14, 2016, 06:37:25 pm #48 Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:39:11 pm by Go Postal

Don't forget to tune in to your favorite West channel listed below if you can't make it to the games...

GobTV for Harrison Golden Goblins

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHnUsCDK3U6nuwV4emoPPA

Alma School District for Alma Airedales

https://www.youtube.com/user/AlmaSchools/feed?activity_view=1

Farmcards Live for Farmington Cardinals

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_PwrLq_PPN0PoUhhCfgv-g

Go Postal

To prepare for their upcoming games,
Alma watches film on GOBS/'BRIAR Game
      and how good both teams are...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas