• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All High School Softball Gripes and Complaints Post Here

Started by BIG_K, April 20, 2015, 11:23:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG_K

WPWells

April 20, 2015, 11:24:54 am #1 Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:27:01 am by 12th Man CHS
I complain that softball detracts from baseball because the girls who have to play softball games don't get to watch a real sport because they're too busy kicking a ball around and giggling and doing silly chants in the dugout

pruff

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on April 20, 2015, 11:24:54 am
I complain that softball detracts from baseball because the girls who have to play softball games don't get to watch a real sport because they're too busy kicking a ball around and giggling and doing silly chants in the dugout

You my friend, are a complete idiot.

GatorBall

Quote from: pruff on April 20, 2015, 12:12:01 pm

AMEN!!

dbld71

NEASPORTSFAN

I hate that high school softball pitching rules are not the same as the college level. Shouldn't we "raise" them correctly?

True Fan

Quote from: phstiger on April 20, 2015, 12:40:14 pm
I hate that high school softball pitching rules are not the same as the college level. Shouldn't we "raise" them correctly?

No. And, I'll tell you why. The pitchers who will play in college pitch properly in tourneys all fall and summer long. The girl who pitches for her HS team and nothing much else will not pitch in college. The improper mechanics allowed in HS (step back) allows most pitchers to pick up a little speed. It's not a lot and the higher speed / better pitches is a benefit for any batters faced who move on to the next level. Too many times I've seen people fuss about an illegal pitcher when their girls are teeing off on it. I'd rather face that then the rainbow warrior when they try to pitch "right".

WPWells

Guys...that was a joke. I think the whole point of this thread was to make fun of overly aggressive softball dads and y'all fell for it hook, line, and sinker

LowerAR

Quote from: GatorBall on April 20, 2015, 12:36:19 pm
Quote from: pruff on April 20, 2015, 12:12:01 pm

AMEN!!

You guys need to learn that to the public, girls are just toys for boys. A girl should only excel at pleasing her big football & real sport man. Oh, you should know, they are pulling your chain.  ;D ;D ;D

True Fan

Quote from: LowerAR on April 20, 2015, 01:00:51 pm

You guys need to learn that to the public, girls are just toys for boys. A girl should only excel at pleasing her big football & real sport man. Oh, you should know, they are pulling your chain.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheerleading? Sport or Support?

pruff

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on April 20, 2015, 01:00:03 pm
Guys...that was a joke. I think the whole point of this thread was to make fun of overly aggressive softball dads and y'all fell for it hook, line, and sinker
I still stand by my stAtement above

LowerAR

I don't think they should let good teams from out of state play in AR tourneys. Like good TX teams in the D-Mac. Ouch that hurt! Did someone get the name of that truck?  :D 

SouthpawSensation

My only gripe is the placing a runner on second to start extra innings. I just don't care for it.

Proud Buckaroo

This thread is so hot that I could cook an egg on it...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: True Fan on April 20, 2015, 02:18:48 pm
Quote from: LowerAR on April 20, 2015, 01:00:51 pm

Cheerleading? Sport or Support?

Neither...They should be in the Kitchen learning how to cook...Duh....

On a side note...I'm glad my wife doesn't read fearless Friday cause a Cast Iron pan to the head probably wouldn't make for a good way to start the day...

GatorBall

Quote from: LowerAR on April 20, 2015, 02:53:17 pm
I don't think they should let good teams from out of state play in AR tourneys. Like good TX teams in the D-Mac. Ouch that hurt! Did someone get the name of that truck?  :D

That was a VERY good team from Texas that came in and played in the D-Mac tournament but I don't believe you get better by playing teams that are weak. Oh, by the way they were beatable. Foreman beat them! My only gripe is letting their coach have a meltdown on the field on what he thought was a bad call in front of all those kids. He should have been thrown out the minute he was in the face of the umpire yelling and screaming at the top of his lungs. People in the parking lot heard the yelling. Let alone when the coach grabbed the umpire and turned him around when he tried to walk away...

BIG_K

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on April 20, 2015, 01:00:03 pm
Just thought i would throw this subject up here so everyone could blow off a little steam before the playoffs. ;D Good luck to all teams and may everyone make the state finals.  ;D Will be back again in the late fall. :)

LowerAR

ea cat

Ranger

I love all the high school football coaches that get to coach softball.

Lionheart88

My complaint is about when the season is scheduled.  The good kids play all summer anyway, so we should move their seasons to June-August instead of March-May.  That would be great for the small to midsize schools, because those players would no longer have to choose between softball and track or soccer.  Imagine how much better Arkansas Track and Soccer would be if the great athletes we have on the softball field were running track or playing soccer.  It might help softball too, if you had some committed sprinters who could come in and serve as pinch runners once track season was over with, instead of having a conflict.  But no, they have to play in the Spring and ruin things.  Some lame excuse about school not being in session during the summer.   :P

Sweet

I think the only team they beat was y'all.

LowerAR

They told us they had beat someone the night before; I don't know? I will tell you they were good. Their record coming in was 22-1 and the team from Avery said they played them a lot and they were good. I don't know how they played for the rest of the tourney, but the way they played against us they were awesome. The big blond pitcher had a great game. I'm not going to say that everything the ump called was a strike, but he was consistant on calling her curve a strike. We were told by other teams after the game that she had signed with TX A&M. They had great team speed and a solid defence. They could have been the worst team in the state of TX for all I know, but in that game, from what I've seen, they were better than any team we've seen this year. I was just joking about the post, I'm glad that we got a chance to play them.           

GatorBall

Quote from: Sweet on April 22, 2015, 06:20:54 am

If you don't think that team was any good then you don't know ANYTHING about softball! Yes, we beat them but that is one of the best teams we've seen in all year and probably last year too! And they didn't just beat one team Sweet but again, your not really known for getting hung up on facts and statistics. That team beat Genoa Central, in which they only ALLOWED two base runners the entire game. I personally watched them play Malvern and Malvern didn't even get their second base runner on until 10 minutes left in the game. Oh yeah, they also beat a pretty good Eldorado team (6A school) 6-0. Maybe, just maybe, they're better than your untrained eye can tell!!!

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: GatorBall on April 22, 2015, 09:39:19 am

If you don't think that team was any good then you don't know ANYTHING about softball! Yes, we beat them but that is one of the best teams we've seen in all year and probably last year too! And they didn't just beat one team Sweet but again, your not really known for getting hung up on facts and statistics. That team beat Genoa Central, in which they only ALLOWED two base runners the entire game. I personally watched them play Malvern and Malvern didn't even get their second base runner on until 10 minutes left in the game. Oh yeah, they also beat a pretty good Eldorado team (6A school) 6-0. Maybe, just maybe, they're better than your untrained eye can tell!!!

Hey SWEET, if you're looking for a break don't call GATOR!!!

GatorBall

Quote from: BLUEBLOOD on April 22, 2015, 10:23:01 am
Quote from: GatorBall on April 22, 2015, 09:39:19 am

Hey SWEET, if you're looking for a break don't call GATOR!!!

LOL...that's right! I'll never give Sweet a break!

XFalkonz

Quote from: Ranger on April 21, 2015, 09:31:45 pm
I love all the high school football coaches that get to coach softball.

As a football coach, I love that I get the honor and opportunity to coach softball and teach the game to young ladies.

ST

Man, I wish this post was here a few years ago. I could have had fun with this one.

Sweet

Valleysports

April 23, 2015, 07:51:34 am #29 Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:04:30 am by Valleysports
Gator, is puff your girlfriend?  Still got that "you don't know softball thing" going on?   ::).   12th man makes a rookie attempt to play with you pansies (hook didn't even have bait on it) and you call him an idiot Puff?  Ha ha  that is estrogen.   ;D

WPWells

Heck Valley there wasn't even a hook. I was just noodling

LowerAR

If you look in the regs. noodling is illegal! But then I'm not sure anything you and Valley participate in is kosher. ;D

backatyou

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 21, 2015, 10:15:52 pm
My complaint is about when the season is scheduled.  The good kids play all summer anyway, so we should move their seasons to June-August instead of March-May.  That would be great for the small to midsize schools, because those players would no longer have to choose between softball and track or soccer.  Imagine how much better Arkansas Track and Soccer would be if the great athletes we have on the softball field were running track or playing soccer.  It might help softball too, if you had some committed sprinters who could come in and serve as pinch runners once track season was over with, instead of having a conflict.  But no, they have to play in the Spring and ruin things.  Some lame excuse about school not being in session during the summer.   :P
The answer to that is move the season to August to Oct ladies come out of summer ball and are pretty sharp already,doesn't intrude on any real sports as its early in the school season,and the football coaches don't need to know anything about softball the ladies have been playing it all summer they can cover their coaches😜!

Lionheart88

Yeah, but some of them play volleyball, golf, or tennis, run cross country, or cheer/dance.   I'd hate to hurt the competitiveness in those programs.  In June-August there's no other sports to get interfered with. :)

GatorBall

Quote from: backatyou on April 23, 2015, 10:47:59 am
The answer to that is move the season to August to Oct ladies come out of summer ball and are pretty sharp already,doesn't intrude on any real sports as its early in the school season,and the football coaches don't need to know anything about softball the ladies have been playing it all summer they can cover their coaches😜!

I don't see how you guys can even argue that point with a straight face!!! We will ALL win the lottery three times each before what you are suggesting happens... I know guys y'all think their just trying get someone hooked and then let them run (most likely).

The funny part is I think their actually trying to be serious!!

Valleysports

We've talked about switching Volleyball (indoors during spring weather) with Softball for a decade.  Oklahoma Schools still play softball in the fall?

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 23, 2015, 11:05:50 am
Yeah, but some of them play volleyball, golf, or tennis, run cross country, or cheer/dance.   I'd hate to hurt the competitiveness in those programs.  In June-August there's no other sports to get interfered with. :)

Well put.  Nearly our whole softball team also plays volleyball.  Would hate to have two of our best athletes have to choose sports (one is two times All-State in both sports and the other is two times All-Dist in VB and two times All-State in SB).

backatyou

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 23, 2015, 11:05:50 am
you guys don't consider cheer and dance as sport do you?

Lionheart88

April 23, 2015, 10:11:30 pm #38 Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:14:46 pm by Lionheart88
The AAA lists it as one, so I take it we're supposed to.  It is at least as athletic as bowling (another recognized AAA sport), but I kinda figure that if you count cheer/dance, you should at least count Marching Band too.  Me, I'm partial to throwing in Quiz Bowl and Chess. :)

GatorBall

Quote from: Valleysports on April 23, 2015, 06:30:23 pm
We've talked about switching Volleyball (indoors during spring weather) with Softball for a decade.  Oklahoma Schools still play softball in the fall?

Yeah, Oklahoma plays in the fall, Slowpitch! Let's count how many colleges play slowpitch? Oh by the way, they also play in the spring as well, but it's fastpitch in the spring.

True Fan

Quote from: GatorBall on April 24, 2015, 07:50:21 am
Quote from: Valleysports on April 23, 2015, 06:30:23 pm

Yeah, Oklahoma plays in the fall, Slowpitch! Let's count how many colleges play slowpitch? Oh by the way, they also play in the spring as well, but it's fastpitch in the spring.

You got that backwards. Fast pitch is in the fall, they are playing slow pitch now.

LowerAR

The answer to that is move the season to August to Oct ladies come out of summer ball and are pretty sharp already,doesn't intrude on any real sports as its early in the school season,and the football coaches don't need to know anything about softball the ladies have been playing it all summer they can cover their coaches!
Ya'll need to get real, there is one reason and only one reason that softball will not be played in the fall, FOOTBALL! It takes most school resources to make football happen, take it easy on the school work, cheerleaders, undistracted coaches, heck, my daughter is a trainer, undistracted fun raising and the list goes on. Most football coaches know nothing about volleyball so they don't have another way to up their pay in the spring. I'm not going to say that all schools are this way, but enough are that your not going to change the only reason for school.     

Valleysports

April 24, 2015, 02:19:34 pm #42 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:28:56 pm by Valleysports
That's a lot of inconvenience, year after year, playing in the cold, rain, cancelled games, postponed games, pulled hamstrings, sore throwing arms - just so one assistant football coach can make an extra stipend.  VB coach would probably be better with the softball girls anyway.  Wonder how Oklahoma manages to play FASTPITCH IN THE FALL? LOL

LowerAR

Quote from: Valleysports on April 24, 2015, 02:19:34 pm
That's a lot of inconvenience, year after year, playing in the cold, rain, cancelled games, postponed games, pulled hamstrings, sore throwing arms - just so one assistant football coach can make an extra stipend.  VB coach would probably be better with the softball girls anyway.  Wonder how Oklahoma manages to play FASTPITCH IN THE FALL? LOL
I didn't say that it was so one coach could make more money. I said that you don't get anything in the way of Football, whether it is a way to employ a coach that is not full time or if it is fund raising. America loves football, you can act, joke or ignore the facts, but AR schools (which are the AAA) will not let anything detract from that obsession. Some schools do not get that involved in football, but most AD's in this state are there because of football. If it is not that way at your school then look around. How another state operates is not mine to question, but I know that AR school administrators make more than say LA compared to teachers salaries. Tell me how that happens. It is the way it is.

GatorBall

Quote from: LowerAR on April 24, 2015, 08:37:40 am
The answer to that is move the season to August to Oct ladies come out of summer ball and are pretty sharp already,doesn't intrude on any real sports as its early in the school season,and the football coaches don't need to know anything about softball the ladies have been playing it all summer they can cover their coaches!
Ya'll need to get real, there is one reason and only one reason that softball will not be played in the fall, FOOTBALL! It takes most school resources to make football happen, take it easy on the school work, cheerleaders, undistracted coaches, heck, my daughter is a trainer, undistracted fun raising and the list goes on. Most football coaches know nothing about volleyball so they don't have another way to up their pay in the spring. I'm not going to say that all schools are this way, but enough are that your not going to change the only reason for school.   

Absolutely, FOOTBALL Rules!!! Everything else is fighting for second place. Our softball program has dominated for years and yet football is still the priority and they have only made the playoffs a few times in the same time frame. It's because the amount of money that is made at football games versus softball or baseball games. It may be different at other schools but very little proceeds (if any at all) come from our softball and baseball programs so they almost have to be self sufficient or they will foldup. There just isn't enough money generated from the programs to warrant spending the money. If they were to start playing softball in the fall it would detract from football, which is why I don't think it will ever happen.

Valleysports

April 24, 2015, 03:55:52 pm #45 Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:01:32 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: LowerAR on April 24, 2015, 03:22:50 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on April 24, 2015, 02:19:34 pm
I didn't say that it was so one coach could make more money. I said that you don't get anything in the way of Football, whether it is a way to employ a coach that is not full time or if it is fund raising. America loves football, you can act, joke or ignore the facts, but AR schools (which are the AAA) will not let anything detract from that obsession. Some schools do not get that involved in football, but most AD's in this state are there because of football. If it is not that way at your school then look around. How another state operates is not mine to question, but I know that AR school administrators make more than say LA compared to teachers salaries. Tell me how that happens. It is the way it is.

Yes I understand what you are saying and I agree - but the proposal is simply swapping softball with volleyball.  How does softball affect football more than volleyball?  Typically there are a lot more fans at the climate controlled Volleyball Games.  ;)

Valleysports

Quote from: GatorBall on April 24, 2015, 03:23:45 pm
If they were to start playing softball in the fall it would detract from football, which is why I don't think it will ever happen.

Care to explain how softball would detract more, from football, than volleyball?  :D  What nights does your school play softball?

backatyou

I would think the football program would cost more to operate than softball,stadium up keep and all the individual coaches equipment trainers it has to make more!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on April 24, 2015, 04:13:04 pm
Quote from: GatorBall on April 24, 2015, 03:23:45 pm
If they were to start playing softball in the fall it would detract from football, which is why I don't think it will ever happen.

Care to explain how softball would detract more, from football, than volleyball?  :D  What nights does your school play softball?

Small classes are Tuesdays and Fridays.....Like Basketball.

LowerAR

Come on guys, your looking at the small picture. Everything that you see is nothing. The real money comes from sponsors to the booster club. Big donations that would keep a softball program floating for years in cash is used every year. Look at all of these turf football fields, new scoreboards, new jerseys and pads, footballs, braces, they go though more prewrap and tape in a year than you could ever guess, and it is because America loves it's football. Everyone in the community comes to see the game, because it is the social event of the week, and nothing can get in the way of that priority. People do what they like, we as parents of softball players work for the small wins and the love of our daughters. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas