• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why would you hang +20 on a team in the first inning?

Started by Sweet, April 04, 2015, 12:29:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BIG_K

Quote from: GatorBall on April 06, 2015, 03:40:35 pm
Quote from: SBALL on April 06, 2015, 03:08:44 pm
Quote from: BIG_K on April 06, 2015, 02:24:04 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on April 06, 2015, 01:43:02 pm
Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!
This is good stuff ;D ;D ;D Valley. Got em all fired up ;D. LOL

It's about time somebody got us all fired up... It's been too quiet on here!

If that is what he was REALLY trying to do then ok, yeah he got me! I fell for it. But I do think he was being serious about what he was saying...
;D ;D   Valley does know his softball (Example " ASA Nationals ") his DD played in them for several years.  ;D ;D
May I assure you he was involved in softball when they switched from slow pitch to Fastpitch. "Idiot he is Not". Now LOL
;D ;D instigator may be a better choice of words. :)

SBALL

Quote from: BIG_K on April 06, 2015, 04:42:19 pm
Quote from: GatorBall on April 06, 2015, 03:40:35 pm
Quote from: SBALL on April 06, 2015, 03:08:44 pm
Quote from: BIG_K on April 06, 2015, 02:24:04 pm
Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!
This is good stuff ;D ;D ;D Valley. Got em all fired up ;D. LOL

It's about time somebody got us all fired up... It's been too quiet on here!

If that is what he was REALLY trying to do then ok, yeah he got me! I fell for it. But I do think he was being serious about what he was saying...
;D ;D   Valley does know his softball (Example " ASA Nationals ") his DD played in them for several years.  ;D ;D
May I assure you he was involved in softball when they switched from slow pitch to Fastpitch. "Idiot he is Not". Now LOL
;D ;D instigator may be a better choice of words. :)

Someone may want to fill him in on what's going on now. ASA is no longer the highest level of softball. Even the Gold level is a step behind PGF.

Or we could start a new thread "For The Dad's Living in the Past" and let him play there until he is done.  ;)

Valleysports

Mr Big K, hope you're doing well - now we knew how to tear these threads up.  These youngsters will learn to stop and smell the roses like we had too. Ha ha. School ball is for school spirit, play 1A, 7A, or Soccer - it's all about summer ball.  And shut the he'll up about D1 - just pray DD picks the right college for her educational & emotional needs.

SBALL, I can tell you this - if you haven't seen ASA National Gold Teams and their paid coaches flying in from California, Arizona, Florida - don't.  It's like adults playing with children.  Makes no difference if they've changed their affiliation - it's the ones that run rule our part of the country in the first inning - and they don't step off the bases, they step on the gas.

Sweet

When Spring Hill played that same team they scored 5 per inning for 3 innings. T-Fin showing a little class.

GatorBall

Quote from: Sweet on April 06, 2015, 10:27:26 pm
When Spring Hill played that same team they scored 5 per inning for 3 innings. T-Fin showing a little class.

LOL, Yeah Finley has "Class"! The same person that made an inside pact with the other coaches in the conference to make sure that he gets several of his kids voted to All-State honors while Foreman had multiple kids batting over .400 & .500 and breaking state records in stolen bases and hits and can't get but one kid voted to All-State...Yeah that's classy alright!!!

Funny you should say that "Sweet" because I have heard you say some pretty derogatory things about him when your daughter played for him. Is it possible your just trying to start something? Most likely!! And here I am biting hook, line, and sinker again!!

BIG_K

Quote from: GatorBall on April 07, 2015, 07:19:29 am

LOL, Yeah Finley has "Class"! The same person that made an inside pact with the other coaches in the conference to make sure that he gets several of his kids voted to All-State honors while Foreman had multiple kids batting over .400 & .500 and breaking state records in stolen bases and hits and can't get but one kid voted to All-State...Yeah that's classy alright!!!

Funny you should say that "Sweet" because I have heard you say some pretty derogatory things about him when your daughter played for him. Is it possible your just trying to start something? Most likely!! And here I am biting hook, line, and sinker again!!
:o  Breath in, Breath out Gator. Get a hold on that Blood Pressure. Remember "Thick Skin"  ;D

GatorBall

Quote from: BIG_K on April 07, 2015, 10:17:35 am

:o  Breath in, Breath out Gator. Get a hold on that Blood Pressure. Remember "Thick Skin"  ;D

LOL, Yeah I hear ya!!

SportsLover65

I am sure this happens a lot when it comes to awards like that. Does anybody know how neighboring states pick their All-State Players?
I believe in Arkansas it is open nomination so a Coach can nominate anybody regardless and then the coaches vote. Maybe the coaches need to change the open nomination to getting a certain amount according to final rank in the conference. I don't know of any perfect way to be honest because not everybody has an official score keeper that knows the game enough to count what are errors and what are actual hits or stolen bases compared to passed balls......

maxswine

Quote from: unw1red on April 06, 2015, 10:06:39 am
Quote from: maxswine on April 05, 2015, 06:32:19 pm
I watched Vilonia this weekend up 16-0 on an opponent, had the bases loaded and no outs.  They intentionally came off the bases to get the inning over with.  Won the game 16-1.  I thought it was pretty classy by their coach.

The only reason this happened is the other team's #1 pitcher broke her arm the previous week. We beat the same team 10-3 with two home runs. It was simply unfortunate timing for the other team to be in a tournament.

Yeah I think their best pitcher had an injury.  But y'all did not play this team twice.

GatorBall

Quote from: Sweet on April 05, 2015, 01:34:26 pm
Quote from: Snakebite1 on April 05, 2015, 01:07:37 pm
Someone must be confused on Foreman score it was 3-0 after two and 10-0 final Ended 10-0 I don't think anyone was embarrassed most of the innings gators were held scoreless. Congrats to them winning but I'm sure they've had better games.

It was Mineral Springs this year Murfreesboro last year.

AGAIN your wrong Sweet! Your getting BOGUS information then following up with Bogus statements! But that's ok, we've learned to expect that from you!!!

LowerAR

Well I don't like beating up on someone that is really bad, but I can't really say a lot because sometimes circumstances dictate something else. I know we played a team that was awful this year. In the first game we got our 15 and then shut her down. In the second our coach started to sub heavily, kinda just let them play. It got way out of hand, but it may be one of the only times some of these parents will get to cheer and watch there kids play varsity this year. In LA and TX they separate there JV and varsity, so when you play you don't get mixed up on who's who; that includes the coach. I'm not saying it's right, just there are reasons. As long as the system is flawed things like this will happen. If we had played our varsity all the way then it would have been the same as the first game and my DD could have collected 9 more strikeouts for the year, but some how that doesn't seem right ether. I guess my point is don't judge to harshly unless you know the facts and even then do you know all the circumstances. It looks good on the score book to post a 15-0 win, to me that shows a complete domination of the game. Anything else is always suspect, but is that always right?           

Valleysports

Keeping score can really be harsh - for the kids sake, we should not keep score during conference.  To start postseason - play round-robbins to eliminate the "not as strong winners" then go from there.   ;)

GatorBall

Quote from: Valleysports on April 08, 2015, 11:55:53 am
Keeping score can really be harsh - for the kids sake, we should not keep score during conference.  To start postseason - play round-robbins to eliminate the "not as strong winners" then go from there.   ;)

WOW! I keep telling myself that nothing you say will shock me then you go and saying something like that....FUNNY!!!

WPWells

If you couldn't realize that was a joke then I can't help you

LowerAR

I realize that he is pulling our chain, but really, this constant mess about slowpitch really. ;D ;D ;D   

Sweet

Odd that hasn't been an attempt to justify why it happened.

Valleysports

Quote from: LowerAR on April 08, 2015, 01:39:24 pm
I realize that he is pulling our chain, but really, this constant mess about slowpitch really. ;D ;D ;D   

haha I do like softball LowerAR.  Years back a close family friend - college standout - and I got into our typical yaya.  It ended up with me pitching 12 ft arcs to half the Henderson Lady Reddies (this is when they dominated).  The girls got frustrated fast.  Travel Coach finally got nervous we were going to mess with their timing.     

ST

Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!

If they only knew Valley. While I don't agree with your slow pitch, I do know that you are well versed in fast pitch. These newbie parents are funny. Almost reminds me a little of......me. Oh wait, I did call my shot though didn't i?lol.

ST

Everyone gets a trophy right?lol.

Stop the other team. Plain and simple.

Valleysports

No one has or ever will call their shot, and then it become a reality, like you ST!  And because you called it years in advance, you had to endure years of harassment from the doubters.  It reminded me of Noah's Arc!  :D

GatorBall

Quote from: ST on April 09, 2015, 02:22:56 am
Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!

If they only knew Valley. While I don't agree with your slow pitch, I do know that you are well versed in fast pitch. These newbie parents are funny. Almost reminds me a little of......me. Oh wait, I did call my shot though didn't i?lol.

I don't know how much you guys have been around the game, maybe you have been around it a lot longer than I have. I've only been coaching my kids for around 12-13 years but I've been around the game (playing or coaching) for over 30 years. I may be VERY new to this forum and relatively new to high school softball but "newbie parent" I am not.

I do admit that Valley had me going for a little while with his outrageous comments about 2A and 3A softball but just wanted to point out that just because we are new to this forum doesn't necessarily mean we are new to the game.

GatorBall

Quote from: Sweet on April 08, 2015, 04:24:47 pm
Odd that hasn't been an attempt to justify why it happened.

It's also Odd that a person accusing Foreman of not having any class because they put up 20+ on a team has their own team beat another team 17-0!! Yet they say nothing about that!!! Sounds to me like a case of situational ethics...

LowerAR

Well now, I don't know who you guys are calling newbies. I'm probably older than most of ya'll. I have watched this site for years but wouldn't get on because I figured I would say something I would come to regret and still may. ;D At some point, I guess it's over the hill, you don't care anymore. :o When you live, eat and breath softball for several years then you are certified crazy, and you can get on this site or you can be normal and get on this site and not understand, but ether way; it's all junk anyway.         

Nomad1324

Quote from: ST on April 09, 2015, 02:26:26 am

Everyone gets a trophy right?lol.

Stop the other team. Plain and simple.

Here, here.

As a competitor, it feels worse when a team is basically telling you that you're so bad we feel sorry for you. Get better and then you don't have to worry about being embarrassed like that.

Bearcatsofmena00

Quote from: GatorBall on April 09, 2015, 08:00:48 am
Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!

I don't know how much you guys have been around the game, maybe you have been around it a lot longer than I have. I've only been coaching my kids for around 12-13 years but I've been around the game (playing or coaching) for over 30 years. I may be VERY new to this forum and relatively new to high school softball but "newbie parent" I am not.

I do admit that Valley had me going for a little while with his outrageous comments about 2A and 3A softball but just wanted to point out that just because we are new to this forum doesn't necessarily mean we are new to the game.

Just because somebody has been around the game doesn't mean they "know" the game. There are tons of coaches/parents out there that know just enough to be dangerous for a PROGRAM. And as for a team that scores +20 in the first inning shows no class or sportsmanship when it comes to the game of softball. Yes everybody wants to win but at some point you have to realize it is a game and at that time you try to teach young ladies compassion and class not disrespect and embarrassment.

Bismarck_lions

Quote from: Bearcatsofmena00 on April 09, 2015, 08:25:10 am
Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!

Just because somebody has been around the game doesn't mean they "know" the game. There are tons of coaches/parents out there that know just enough to be dangerous for a PROGRAM. And as for a team that scores +20 in the first inning shows no class or sportsmanship when it comes to the game of softball. Yes everybody wants to win but at some point you have to realize it is a game and at that time you try to teach young ladies compassion and class not disrespect and embarrassment.

+1

LowerAR

Quote from: Bismarck_lions on April 09, 2015, 08:32:55 am
Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!

+1
I will agree with what you said, but the issue is not Black or White, but some shade of grey. I'm not going to say that it's right to run up the score, but who is your allegiance to, the school or the opponent, your girls or theirs, your parents or theirs. While some will say it is an easy decision, I tell you if it is, your looking at only a small part of the whole picture. Heck, I just want a coach that can get along with the girls and the parents and knows a little about the game, but doesn't think he knows it all. And as far as knowing the Game goes, how does many post on this site make you a Know-it-All. That sounds like a lot of coaches I know, they have a degree from some school and think they know all about it.     

BIG_K

Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!

:)  Breath in, Breath out remember the BP issue. Your new motto as a "Newbie High School Parent"  needs to be
"No Stroke Before She Graduates" . As for Valley and ST, Played them on several occasions years ago when they coached or helped coach some pretty darn good slow pitch and Fastpitch travel teams(which in the good old days there wasn't any C division tournaments).  ;D

GatorBall

Quote from: BIG_K on April 09, 2015, 09:56:07 am
Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!

:)  Breath in, Breath out remember the BP issue. Your new motto as a "Newbie High School Parent"  needs to be
"No Stroke Before She Graduates" . As for Valley and ST, Played them on several occasions years ago when they coached or helped coach some pretty darn good slow pitch and Fastpitch travel teams(which in the good old days there wasn't any C division tournaments).  ;D

C'mon Big K, that wasn't me hyperventilating. I wasn't even upset when I wrote that. I was just making a point. I'm breathing fine...lol

True Fan

Valleysports

This has been an absolute delight - reading these these newbie post  ;D

ST

Mike Love

Quote from: GatorBall on April 06, 2015, 01:35:53 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on April 06, 2015, 12:58:43 pm
Quote from: GatorBall on April 06, 2015, 09:38:28 am
Quote from: Valleysports on April 06, 2015, 09:14:30 am
Quote from: GatorBall on April 06, 2015, 08:00:04 am
Quote from: Valleysports on April 06, 2015, 03:18:16 am
Quote from: Ctucker on April 05, 2015, 09:51:48 pm
Bald Knob won the TOC. And Midland beat NLR so I would say 2a and 3a are ok and several of the girls are getting scholarships to college, I don't think they give them to slow pitch players.

Ain't no 3A girl getting an athletic scholarship to a legit softball college.

I've read several of your posts about 2A and 3A softball. Do you even have any idea what you are talking about? Let me guess, your kid is going to a 6A or 7A school and you think your something. My kids have been playing select ball all over the tri-state area as well as playing in the World Series in Florida and we go to a 2A school. We have as good of competition in our area (not necessarily in our class) as anyone in the state. Now is it harder for smaller schools to get recognition from D1 schools? Sure it is! But if your a good athlete it doesn't matter what size school you go to, there going to find you. That's why they have scouts genius!! As I said before my kids go to a 2A school and we had a kid from a couple of years ago get a D1 scholarship and was the starting pitcher at the D1 school that played in the SEC and beat the number 2 ranked team in the country. Oh but wait she is only from a 2A school....she's not good enough. What an idiot!!!!

Oh by the way, we (2A school) did play in the TOC and beat a 4A school and a 7A school!!! And do you know who won the TOC? A 3A school!!!!
>

World Series in Florida - they don't play ASA?  Well at least they're playing just for fun, that's what it's all about.  Is the TOC still the tournament, of the teams, who's champions graduated the year before.  Ha ha

Just shows how much you really know about travel ball. There is more than one league, you know that right? There are also different classifications within each league. We played everything from ASA, USSSA, NFSA or any other league that would allow us to play. The kids just wanted to play.

As for the TOC and did all the teams still have the kids that had graduated the previous year, well not necessarily but according to your premise it shouldn't matter!!! Your implying that 2A or 3A schools are not good enough to play fastpitch and so they should play slowpitch instead. Well if they're not good enough then why are some of these small schools beating some of these larger schools if they're not good enough to play fastpitch?

Real ball teams qualify and go to ASA Nationals.  Those that aren't good enough, run around to USSSA World Series picking up Kool Aid awards and posting World Series Champion Photos in their local 2A newspaper.  That's the difference in the leagues and why Arkansas peaked 6-8 yrs ago.  There are definitely large schools who have their bad years as well - you either have a Pitcher or you don't.  Typically (not always) 3A is like a 7A JV and 2A is like JR.

Whatever, like I said, what your saying just shows how much you really know about softball. Jack Squat!! You can't argue with STUPIDTY so I'll quit trying!!!
Can we just shoot amongst them...you know nothing , Jon Snow

Valleysports

;D.  Hey there M Love - it's like hunting in the zoo.   Should we invite Mack, Bird, Earl?

ST

Quote from: Valleysports on April 10, 2015, 06:08:24 am
;D.  Hey there M Love - it's like hunting in the zoo.   Should we invite Mack, Bird, Earl?

Surprised they haven't shown up yet.lol.

ST

Quote from: LowerAR on April 09, 2015, 08:11:48 am
Well now, I don't know who you guys are calling newbies. I'm probably older than most of ya'll. I have watched this site for years but wouldn't get on because I figured I would say something I would come to regret and still may. ;D At some point, I guess it's over the hill, you don't care anymore. :o When you live, eat and breath softball for several years then you are certified crazy, and you can get on this site or you can be normal and get on this site and not understand, but ether way; it's all junk anyway.       

heck i created controversy on here. I mean, who predicts that a bunch of 7th graders would tear up the softball world when they got into high school.lol. Those were some good ole days. Yes Valley, i took a couple of head shots during that time. Well worth it! Would do it over and over and over again.

We need some Big Nasty and some Nanner Puddin.

BLUEBLOOD

Back to the original topic:
I'm a newbie, but I have seen MS play.  There is no reason to score 20+ on any team that isn't capable of stopping you.  If the other team is capable, then I say score all you want.  A coach can easily have his girls leave the base early and keep the score exactly where they want it.  15-0 after 3 innings tells the story that it was total domination.  20+ to 0 tells a story about the coach who allows his team to score 20+.

NEASPORTSFAN

but if you don't want that score run up on you, why don't you do something  about it. Play in the summer, practice. Work to get better.

BLUEBLOOD

I agree totally.....BUT that's a long term solution.  Here & now, a coach has to do what's right for the kids (both teams are kids).  MS doesn't have the youth programs in place to improve in softball for years to come.  They are a typical 2A school with a limited number of athletes.  Emphasis is on basketball for the girls. 
Drive through these small towns and see what the kids are playing in the streets or yards.  That's where your emphasis is in the school programs. 

Just a newbie's opinion. 

True Fan

Been on both ends of it. Sometimes the coach is a jerk. Sometimes it's payback, even a different sport or personal grudge. And sometimes, it just bes that way. You get up 15. I prefer a couple more so a run or two given up by the jv doesn't extend the game. The younger girls are trying to earn a spot and it helps to see them in a game situation.

Just like I don't put a lot of faith into some of the stats people throw around, I'm not gonna judge a game solely on score. We're pretty much agreeing that 15 is okay and 20 is too many. Not much difference. My opinion on this would hinge on when the starters left the game.

GatorBall

Ha ha  ;D  Newbies!

What I notice the most about this forum is that everyone is a critic!!! They rip into everyone, cut everybody down that doesn't think along the same thought pattern as they do and then when someone tries to explain themselves they again just find another way to attack the person and come from a different angle!!! So in attempt to fit in and sink down to the level of some of you guys (not all).  Let me offer a tad bit of criticism myself.

"Bearcatsofmena00", I do agree that just because you have been around the game for years doesn't necessarily mean a single thing. You can be an idiot in the beginning and still be an idiot at the end of it, if you don't listen and learn from anyone else, just stick with your own preconceived ideas of how you believe softball should be played (believe me I have seen a lot of that). However, their are a few that love the game, study it, soak up and learn everything there is about the game, not just because their kids play it but because they enjoy it so much (I played it and coached it looong before I had kids). When my kids are no longer in the game I will still watch it and be apart of it because it's what I like to do. Based on your comments, you have probably only been around the game a few years and in attempt to make yourself sound credible, due to your inexperience, you pass off the argument, "...just because you have been around the game doesn't mean you "know" the game..." crap to make yourself look like you have an idea of what's going on. I'd be willing to bet that I have forgotten more about this game than what you have ever learned about it. Do I know it all, absolutely not!! And I think that anyone that says they do, are lying!! There is always something we can learn from it.

There, I've sunk down to the level of "Sweet" now!! You guys forgive me!!!

BK, I had to double up on my BP medicine....lol!! Bearcats ticked me off calling me out and saying that I was "dangerous for a program", I would really love to see his resume!!!!

What I notice the most about this forum is that everyone is a critic!!! They rip into everyone, cut everybody down that doesn't think along the same thought pattern as they do and then when someone tries to explain themselves they again just find another way to attack the person and come from a different angle!!! So in attempt to fit in and sink down to the level of some of you guys (not all).  Let me offer a tad bit of criticism myself.

"Bearcatsofmena00", I do agree that just because you have been around the game for years doesn't necessarily mean a single thing. You can be an idiot in the beginning and still be an idiot at the end of it, if you don't listen and learn from anyone else, just stick with your own preconceived ideas of how you believe softball should be played (believe me I have seen a lot of that). However, their are a few that love the game, study it, soak up and learn everything there is about the game, not just because their kids play it but because they enjoy it so much (I played it and coached it looong before I had kids). When my kids are no longer in the game I will still watch it and be apart of it because it's what I like to do. Based on your comments, you have probably only been around the game a few years and in attempt to make yourself sound credible, due to your inexperience, you pass off the argument, "...just because you have been around the game doesn't mean you "know" the game..." crap to make yourself look like you have an idea of what's going on. I'd be willing to bet that I have forgotten more about this game than what you have ever learned about it. Do I know it all, absolutely not!! And I think that anyone that says they do, are lying!! There is always something we can learn from it.

There, I've sunk down to the level of "Sweet" now!! You guys forgive me!!!

BK, I had to double up on my BP medicine....lol!! Bearcats ticked me off calling me out and saying that I was "dangerous for a program", I would really love to see his resume!!!!

LowerAR

Ooo! This is getting fun now. My personal opinion is if you think you know this game your probably wrong. A good dose of reality is in order. Only someone who is willing to listen and learn will ever have an understanding of this game. Almost everything in this game is fluid depending on what a team has. I'm a softball dad, sometimes a coach, umpire, critic and always a fan; you can call me what you like, it will not be the worst. 

Valleysports

Oh for god's sake - it's just a Title IX sport!  ::)

GatorBall

Quote from: Valleysports on April 13, 2015, 01:10:10 pm

Curious Valley, do you ever talk to anyone where your not criticizing or making fun?

LowerAR

True Fan

BIG_K

Valleysports

Quote from: GatorBall on April 13, 2015, 01:28:17 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on April 13, 2015, 01:10:10 pm

Curious Valley, do you ever talk to anyone where your not criticizing or making fun?

There are definitely certain personalities who's skin I really get under.  The Drama Queens and their cousin the Overly Serious Softball Dad.  After reading your essay, trying to convince everyone you know your softball, I'm not sure which one you are.  While the Drama Queens always post about how much they hate drama, the Overly Serious Softball Dad is still living sports through his children.  The same guy who had scholarships from 12 different colleges, but the timing just wasn't right.  Grow some confidence, stop worrying about who knows more, and learn to laugh at yourself as much as others.   

Valleysports

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas