• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6A-South Conference 2013-14

Started by Blindsided, August 22, 2013, 04:31:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blindsided

I know its early and most are thinking about football right now, but I love basketball and I'd like to know your early predictions about the 6A-South's upcoming season.

In boys, I feel like Pine Bluff, LR Fair, and El Dorado will fight it out for the title.  Benton lost a lot of seniors, but does have maybe the best player in the league in J. Bowling.  Bryant could definitly be in the mix, and Texarkana is always athletic. 

In girls, I saw Lake Hamilton and El Dorado this summer, and both looked much improved, but with Pine Bluff returning all their starters, you'd think they will be hard to beat.  Sheridan returns most of their best players.  Benton lost two good ones to graduation, as did Bryant.

Any thoughts?

zebrafan

PB girls will be very good, I feel confident they will win the conference...as for the boys they'll finish in the top 3...very young squad again, last year 3 of there 5starters were 9th graders.

WMB

Benton may be better than last year. Lost five seniors but have four senior lettermen and a couple of 10th graders that will letter. Depth and size may become an issue but they will challenge for the conference title.

Mike Love

Pine Bluff, El Dorado and Benton on the girls side, Sheridan boys could be a dark-horse.

Hawgnut17

So who does every one have coming back on the girls side of 7A/6A side?

zebrafan

Quote from: Hawgnut17 on August 25, 2013, 09:20:17 am
So who does every one have coming back on the girls side of 7A/6A side?
PB girls lost one starter, Boys lost 3 starters.

Mike Love

At Sheridan, on the girls side, they lost 2 seniors, both 2-time all-conference, a senior to be part-time starter quit, and another junior-to-be player who was to be counted on heavily also quit, and a couple sophs to be as well. They all will be hard to replace.
Boys have everyone back, should be very competitive.

Blindsided

Hawg......I think that most of the girls teams were fairly young last year, so there will be a lot of returnees.  Pine Bluff has all but one back, Lake Hamilton has 4 starters back, including 6'2 K. Bullard.  Sheridan returns one of the better players in the league (Cooper).  El Dorado lost Lockhart, but have most back including their big post player, McCool.  Bryant has Duckworth and Weaver back.  Benton, who won the league last year, has three starters back in Reynolds, Chumley, and #45 (can't remember her name).  Texarkana was young too.  I think it'll be a better league this year, but Greenwood, Parkview, and Marion will be the three best teams in 6A.

1umberjack$

45 for Benton is Landreth...heck of a player.

I can't see Marion being any good any time soon...

Blindsided

Marion was young last year, and they played right with Parkview last year in the state tournament.  That's kinda why I was suggesting that they might be good this year.

1umberjack$

Yes, I understand, but I've seen Marion in 2 team camps this summer and they have a long way to go, and I know they are even younger this year if that makes sense (They actually had 5 seniors on last years team). 
Maxpreps has them as going 9-19 last year and besides Searcy their wins were against 3 and 4A schools.  The good thing about 6A is that everybody makes the playoffs.

Parkview probably toyed with them.

Blindsided

Cool....I hadn't seen them any this summer.  LR Hall can't be as good as last year, but with Collins back they'll have at least one really good player.  Greenwood probably has the most talent returning than any other 6A team.  I would pre-season rank the 6A girls like this: (Just having fun with it.....make changes or comments as you wish!!!!)

1. Greenwood......Williams and Co. win the 6A Title.
2. Parkview.........Lost some key players, but tradition keeps them up there.
3. Pine Bluff........Four starters back.
4. Lake Hamilton..Bullard is healthy, and new coach has them playing faster.
5. Benton....Lost 2 good players, but have enough back to contend for another South title.
6. Searcy....Seniors Broadway and Williams lead the Lady Panthers.
7. Jonesboro...Should have enough to scare the top teams.
8. El Dorado....McCool in the middle makes them difficult to handle.
9. Russellville...Owens is one of the better pt. guards in 6A.
10. Sheridan.....Cooper can score as well as anyone.

SNWA

I agree 100% with your rankings Blindsided. Greenwood will really be good this year. The two returning seniors are both signing early so they can enjoy their sr. year and the other 3 starters , who are all jr.s are all getting offers. Should be loaded. Parkview should still put a scare into them but I think the bulldogs will be too tough for them this year. Plus Gw will have faced NLR 2 times before they meet PV so should be ready. I hope anyways.

suprstr30

September 05, 2013, 08:30:55 pm #13 Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:51:34 pm by suprstr30
For you guys that think El Do girls will be that far down in the 6A be ready to be surprised.  They will be deeper and faster than last two years.  Not as offensively talented as when they won it all but should be tuff on defense like then.   McCool is getting major D1 looks.  Their guards should be much improved! Only lost one player last year and she probably hurt more than she helped.  They were very young (experience wise) last year only having 1 girl that played any decent minutes the previous two years.  Should get some good help from sophmores and from what I understand they have a freshman that could be as good as Whitney Frazier.  I know they have really struggled with key injuries last couple of years so if they can stay healthy they should be pretty solid. 

1. Greenwood
2. El Dorado / Parkview
4. Pine Bluff
5. Benton
6. Lake Hamilton
7. Searcy
8. ??????????

Blindsided

Saw Eldo this summer at UALR team camp.  They're real athletic, but to compare them to a Parkview might be stretching it a little.  And I didn't see anyone there looking like Whitney Fraizer, but I did see the the big girl inside taking it to the competition.  She was scoring at will against Benton in the game I watched.  Should be an interesting season with those two teams, Lake Hamilton, and Pine Bluff all looking to win the South.  My prediction for the South: 1.) Pine Bluff  2.) Lake Hamilton  3.) Benton  4.) El Dorado 5.) Sheridan  6.) Bryant  7.) Texarkana  8.) LR Fair   

zebradynasty

I think you may have LH a little too high.

Blindsided

You may be right, but from what I saw this summer, they looked much improved.  Plus, Condley is a really good coach who will have them playing well by conference.  I think the South will be a close race this year.

1umberjack$

Blindsided and I are watching the same team camps!
As far as 6A South I would only swap and put Benton #2 over Lake Hamilton at #3.  I'm not sure what I saw from El Dorado, I think Sheridan might be a little better than them but not nearly as athletic.  Sheridan has a shooter named Hill who can really compliment Cooper.

Overall in 6A Greenwood is unbelievable at home and they should run away with it.  I wasn't impressed with Parkview last year but they managed to win games.  I don't think that will happen without Johnson.

HorseFeathers

Just curious...Are Fairs girls not very good? Just seen where they are playing in a Holiday Classic at Hector this year...the other 3 schools are 2A schools.

Blindsided

HF, I don't think Fair's girls have won a game in 2 or 3 years. 

No Name

Quote from: Mike Love on August 26, 2013, 08:14:15 am
At Sheridan, on the girls side, they lost 2 seniors, both 2-time all-conference, a senior to be part-time starter quit, and another junior-to-be player who was to be counted on heavily also quit, and a couple sophs to be as well. They all will be hard to replace.

So why are all of these kids quitting?

Mike Love

Quote from: No Name on October 09, 2013, 12:52:28 pm

The senior to be(who was a part-time starter last year)quit because of several reasons, 1 being a work schedule, the other differences with the coach. The junior to be, who was in line to be the point guard, quit to play softball only. I was told the younger girls quit because of the coach, but who knows, its heresay. I was also told they are down to 12 or 13 players(horrible for a 6A school), if it is true. Sheridan girls High School basketball has really fell off since Treadway left in spring of 2011. The interest and support from the community has taken a few steps back, as well. There are a multitude of reasons for this, but i will not put them here. I hope the LadyJackets have a great season, there are still a good bunch left.

No Name

Quote from: Mike Love on October 10, 2013, 09:17:33 am

The senior to be(who was a part-time starter last year)quit because of several reasons, 1 being a work schedule, the other differences with the coach. The junior to be, who was in line to be the point guard, quit to play softball only. I was told the younger girls quit because of the coach, but who knows, its heresay. I was also told they are down to 12 or 13 players(horrible for a 6A school), if it is true. Sheridan girls High School basketball has really fell off since Treadway left in spring of 2011. The interest and support from the community has taken a few steps back, as well. There are a multitude of reasons for this, but i will not put them here. I hope the LadyJackets have a great season, there are still a good bunch left.

I know a very good basketball coach who lives in Sheridan and works for a different district.

BigBobB

I think the Benton Lady Panthers may have a better season than some may think. Coach Chumley has a way of getting the most out of his players and they picked up several Sophomores this year that are pretty good. These girls are young but have played AAU ball all summer at the national level against some very good players. One is a point guard that played for the AR Elite and another is a 6'3" post that played for the Hawks. They've got a lot to learn but I think they'll contribute.

Blindsided

Can they give Greenwood a better game this year?  In the 2nd round last year, GW beat them pretty handily.  Benton was without their best player, but not sure it would have mattered much.  This is probably GW's best team and their conference will get them ready.  Plus, Clay Reeves has won several titles and knows how to prepare them.  What has Chumley done?

BigBobB

I don't know Chumley very well but I've seen him with his players. He seems to be a good motivator and shows great patience. I don't know how Benton will match up with GW. It looks like they'll be the team to beat. It's fun to see a good match up and hope Benton can bring some good competition this season. Coach Chumley has produced a pretty good team the last several years; they've won the south conference the past two years. May be building some momentum. You never know.

Blindsided

We will see.  I think Benton can win the South again, but in no way can the South compete with the Central or even the East for that matter.  Benton has some good returning starters but GW will be too much for them or any other 6A school.  Parkview may be the next best team and then probably Pine Bluff, they have all their starters back.  This is GW's year.........everyone else is playing for 2nd. 

SNWA

wow blindsided I hope your right....we went into the year last year thinking that and we were a year ahead of ourselves. Reeves will not let that enter their minds this year. GWs 1st home game of the year is jan. 3rd believe it or not. Only 7 home games all year. That includes 2 games with NLR on neutral courts. I think they should be ready for Hot Springs.

zebrafan69

Boys:
Benton
Pine Bluff
Sheridan
LR Fair
ELDO
LH
TX
Bryant

Hawgnut17

Any scores from 7A/6A south girls games this week?

Blindsided

Sheridan beat  Bauxite by 4
Bryant lost to Vilonia by 20

Anyone know what happened between El Do and Mt. St. Mary's?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Blindsided on October 09, 2013, 09:11:36 am
HF, I don't think Fair's girls have won a game in 2 or 3 years. 

Well that explains why they are looking for easier competition. Thought maybe their was a coaching connection or soething....

Mike Love

I dont think Fair girls have won a game in 5 or 6 years. How they let that coach keep her job is amazing. Any other coach could take that athleticism and win some games. It is really sad to watch.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Mike Love on November 17, 2013, 05:53:34 pm
I dont think Fair girls have won a game in 5 or 6 years. How they let that coach keep her job is amazing. Any other coach could take that athleticism and win some games. It is really sad to watch.

That makes me sad just hearing that...I've seen some bad teams, but 5 years without a win? WOW...just wow...

Blindsided

With the conference race starting this Friday, here are my new projections for the South girls:

1.  Benton..........Looking for the 3-peat.
  2.  El Dorado......13-1 and believe its their time.
  3.  Pine Bluff.......Have the talent to sweep through the South.
  4.  Lake Hamilton..Will be tough to handle, especially at home.
  5.  Sheridan.......Have stumbled lately, but can shake things up in this conference.
  6.  Texarkana.....No reports on the Lady Backs, but they have to be better than Bryant/Fair.
  7.  Bryant..........Averaging around 30 points per game.
  8.  LR Fair..........Still looking for that first win.

I don't know the records for all these teams, so somebody help me out.

SNWA

here are mine for the 6A East so we can see where they would match up at state with 1 from east playing 8 from south format.

1. Greenwood- Favorite to take title this year. Beat Hall by 10, Pine Bluff by 36 and Mt Home by 30.
2. Hall- will make it very tough on GW. Lost to GW but beat very tough Conway bunch.
3. Parkview- always scary- Beat Marion lost to PB
4. Searcy- scrappy bunch. Beat PA
5. Marion- hung with Parkview
6. Jonesboro- don't know much about them. Loss to Paragould.
7. Mt. Home- scrappy, physical bunch. Plays hard. Big loss to GW.
8. Russellville- Good little point guard but not enough help. Struggled with a very down Van Buren team .

tlb2972

Searcy vs.LR Central girls 52-47 Searcy wins

Mike Love

I watched Benton pound Bryant, PB beat Texarkana, Sheridan won AT LH by 1, and Eldo beat Fair. Be a good early test Tuesday, Eldo at Sheridan.

Blindsided

After game 1 of league play, here are my new rankings for the South girls:

1. Benton........Thumped rival Bryant 62-38 Friday.
  2. El Dorado....Tough road game at Sheridan looms.
  3. Pine Bluff....Going about their business; at Bryant Tuesday.
  4. Sheridan.....Replace LH after beating the Wolves in Pearcy.
  5. Lake Hamilton...Didn't protect home court Friday night.
  6. Texarkana.....More respect after hanging with PB.
  7. Bryant..........Offensive struggles continue.
  8. LR Fair........Managed 11 points at El Dorado.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: 141571671 on September 05, 2013, 12:25:57 pm
Yes, I understand, but I've seen Marion in 2 team camps this summer and they have a long way to go, and I know they are even younger this year if that makes sense (They actually had 5 seniors on last years team). 
Maxpreps has them as going 9-19 last year and besides Searcy their wins were against 3 and 4A schools.  The good thing about 6A is that everybody makes the playoffs.

Parkview probably toyed with them.

I think Marion is much improved. They went 3-1 at the Dragon Fire Invitational over Christmas break, hung with Parkview at The Arena and opened up with a road win at Mountain Home the other night.

I'm not saying they're a semi-finalist or anything, but they'll be better than they were last year. They already are, IMHO.

Mike Love

Quote from: Blindsided on January 13, 2014, 01:00:27 pmWatched the El Dorado vs Sheridan last night. Eldo won by 11, after Sheridan led for the better part of 3 quarters. At home for Sheridan. They better figure out how to finish. They will get punched in the mouth Friday at Benton.
After game 1 of league play, here are my new rankings for the South girls:

1. Benton........Thumped rival Bryant 62-38 Friday.
  2. El Dorado....Tough road game at Sheridan looms.
  3. Pine Bluff....Going about their business; at Bryant Tuesday.
  4. Sheridan.....Replace LH after beating the Wolves in Pearcy.
  5. Lake Hamilton...Didn't protect home court Friday night.
  6. Texarkana.....More respect after hanging with PB.
  7. Bryant..........Offensive struggles continue.
  8. LR Fair........Managed 11 points at El Dorado.

Mike Love

Benton man-handled Sheridan last night, in every aspect of the game. I think they won by 25 or so. If they'd made their bunnies and free-throws, it would have been by 40. This was girls. Boys was about as as bad. As an alumni, and a dad of former players, I was a little embarrassed. It was the worst showing of a LadyJacket team AT Benton in a long, long time. I had higher hopes for them. Benton is pretty dang good.

Blindsided

With Pine Bluff falling at Lake Hamilton, it looks like El Dorado and Benton are headed for a showdown in girls.  The boys side is looking like a toss-up right now.

MarionBlueDevil

Marion moved to 2-1 after beating a previously 2-0 Searcy squad at The Arena last night.

Lionheart88

Quote from: No Name on October 10, 2013, 12:48:21 pm
Quote from: Mike Love on October 10, 2013, 09:17:33 am

I know a very good basketball coach who lives in Sheridan and works for a different district.
There are several of those, aren't there?

Blindsided

Through 4 conference games, my 6A rankings (top 10):

1. Greenwood............still the class of the class.
  2. LR Hall.........not the '13 version, but still very good.
  3. El Dorado....great record, but not tested til Friday(Pine Bluff).
  4. Benton....Rolling through the South; welcomes LH on Friday.
  5. Marion......Thumped Searcy; will move up with win over NLR.
  6. Searcy......Up and down, but capable of beating anyone in 6A.
  7. Siloam Springs....will be battle tested from the West.
  8. Pine Bluff......could use a big road win Friday at El Dorado.
  9. LR Parkview.....down the list, but always scary.
10. Lake Hamilton....beat PB at home, but lost to Sheridan at home.

Mike Love

After being down at half,  Sheridan beat Bryant on Tuesday, Cooper had a "HUGE" second half. I think Bryant played as well as they can, just couldnt stop Cooper. Big win to stay in the hunt.

suprstr30

Quote from: Blindsided on January 23, 2014, 12:11:06 pm
Through 4 conference games, my 6A rankings (top 10):

1. Greenwood............still the class of the class.
  2. LR Hall.........not the '13 version, but still very good.
  3. El Dorado....great record, but not tested til Friday(Pine Bluff).
  4. Benton....Rolling through the South; welcomes LH on Friday.
  5. Marion......Thumped Searcy; will move up with win over NLR.
  6. Searcy......Up and down, but capable of beating anyone in 6A.
  7. Siloam Springs....will be battle tested from the West.
  8. Pine Bluff......could use a big road win Friday at El Dorado.
  9. LR Parkview.....down the list, but always scary.
10. Lake Hamilton....beat PB at home, but lost to Sheridan at home.

If you're counting Lake Hamilton as top 10 then El Do has been "tested." beating them at LH by 5 tuesday.  Held their big girl to 7 points.  Earlier against SHeridan i believe they also help their best player to 5 or 6.  They always have a great defensive plan and can shut down one good player.

Mike Love

January 24, 2014, 09:15:10 am #48 Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:14:15 pm by Mike Love
Note to the politically correct, everyone gets a trophy crowd: An alumni can support the school, the program and the kids without supporting the coach.It happens everywhere, all the time, at all levels. Its a free country, and we do have free speech. Know the difference. Thanks

suprstr30

El Dorado handled Pine Bluff with ease last night.  Won by 14 but it wasn't that close. Consider that El Do missed every free throw (something like 1 for 12) which is really unlike them and a couple of silly turnovers that led to easy lay ups that weren't important to outcome of game and ElDo wins  by 25.  Big showdown Tuesday with Benton.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas