• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strong looking for new Coach?

Started by FilmCrew, March 02, 2012, 08:03:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: the game on March 12, 2012, 02:19:42 pm
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 12, 2012, 01:35:14 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 12, 2012, 01:14:53 pm
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 12, 2012, 12:02:51 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 12, 2012, 11:34:16 am
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 12, 2012, 10:38:06 am
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 12, 2012, 08:36:03 am
Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 12, 2012, 08:23:12 am
Quote from: Wilson on March 12, 2012, 05:51:13 am
Can anyone tell me if Shane Davis is from Smackover?. . By that i mean grew up there. . .

He is.
Dayton you gonna apply for the Strong Job? I'm sure they would love to go from state champs to doormats...lol...any good book stores in Strong?

Yes.

No.

And at least I can read.

Has it occurred to you that should I become a head coach and my teams win a bunch of football games that you're going to look like a complete idiot?

Or worse.
I don't have anything to worry about...but I do feel for the kids if you ever get a head coaching job...lol...

Given  you have no knowledge of how I've performed as a coach in the past nor have you ever seen me coach, or correct me if I'm wrong ever spoken or met any of my former players you have nothing to base that opinion on.
Dayton, where exactly have you coached? Anyplace worth mentioning?

Hermitage 2004-05
Norphlet    2005-08
Strong       2008-10
Norphlet    2010-11

My best year was the 2008 football season at Strong where I was given full control of the defense and offensive line.   We finished 8-5 losing in the quarterfinals to eventual state champion Junction City 24-12.

My second best year was the 2006 football season at Norphlet where we finished 7-4-1 and lost in the second round to Danville.   Though I will fully admit that my coaching authority was far less there.

My worst years were at Hermitage in 2004 where we finished 3-7 and I'll fully admit to making more mistakes than I can count.   Especially in the first half of the season.

and the 2007 football season at Norphlet where we finished 2-8.

I was also head softball coach at Hermitage and Strong which is best forgotten given that I knew absolutely nothing about softball at that time and admitted it when hired.
That 2008 Strong team played Bearden closer than any other Strong team in recent memory .

Yes.   We lost 25-20.   A hard, even brutal football game.   We had three players injured (one seriously) and Beardens QB was hurt.

I lost my voice screaming in the locker room prior to the game getting the players fired up and couldn't speak normally for nearly a week.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Can anyone tell me if Shane Davis is from Smackover?. . By that i mean grew up there. . .

He is.
Dayton you gonna apply for the Strong Job? I'm sure they would love to go from state champs to doormats...lol...any good book stores in Strong?

Yes.

No.

And at least I can read.

Has it occurred to you that should I become a head coach and my teams win a bunch of football games that you're going to look like a complete idiot?

Or worse.
I don't have anything to worry about...but I do feel for the kids if you ever get a head coaching job...lol...

Given  you have no knowledge of how I've performed as a coach in the past nor have you ever seen me coach, or correct me if I'm wrong ever spoken or met any of my former players you have nothing to base that opinion on.

Hermitage 2004-05
Norphlet    2005-08
Strong       2008-10
Norphlet    2010-11

My best year was the 2008 football season at Strong where I was given full control of the defense and offensive line.   We finished 8-5 losing in the quarterfinals to eventual state champion Junction City 24-12.

My second best year was the 2006 football season at Norphlet where we finished 7-4-1 and lost in the second round to Danville.   Though I will fully admit that my coaching authority was far less there.

My worst years were at Hermitage in 2004 where we finished 3-7 and I'll fully admit to making more mistakes than I can count.   Especially in the first half of the season.

I was also head softball coach at Hermitage and Strong which is best forgotten given that I knew absolutely nothing about softball at that time and admitted it when hired.   
Okay, fair enough. Now for the kicker...with these teams did you work Saturdays? Did you have spring practice? Do you work after school everyday?

Dayton Kitchens

March 12, 2012, 03:06:36 pm #52 Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:08:43 pm by Dayton Kitchens
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 12, 2012, 02:52:31 pm

He is.

Yes.

No.

And at least I can read.

Or worse.

Hermitage 2004-05
Norphlet    2005-08
Strong       2008-10
Norphlet    2010-11

Okay, fair enough. Now for the kicker...with these teams did you work Saturdays? Did you have spring practice? Do you work after school everyday?

At Hermitage and Norphlet we (coaches) met on Sunday afternoons to break down film.

Although for most Sundays of the 07 season,  Coach Steele exempted me from coming on Sunday due to my dad suffering from a sustained period of hospitalization in Texarkana.

At Strong we did not meet on Saturday or Sundays.   Though I did go exchange film with other teams a few times on Saturdays.

And of course we practiced after school.   At Norphlet until around 7 PM give or take.   

And IIRC at Strong until around 6:30.

I don't remember Hermitage precisely because thanks to scheduling problems we had to have the Jr. High practice AFTER the high school practice was over.

Spring practice at Strong and Norphlet of course during the times allowed by the AAA.

I don't know about Hermitage as I was hired just before the previous school year ended.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 12, 2012, 03:06:36 pm

He is.

Yes.

No.

And at least I can read.

Or worse.

Hermitage 2004-05
Norphlet    2005-08
Strong       2008-10
Norphlet    2010-11

At Hermitage and Norphlet we (coaches) met on Sunday afternoons to break down film.

Although for most Sundays of the 07 season,  Coach Steele exempted me from coming on Sunday due to my dad suffering from a sustained period of hospitalization in Texarkana.

At Strong we did not meet on Saturday or Sundays.   Though I did go exchange film with other teams a few tims on Saturdays.

And of course we practiced after school.   At Norphlet until around 7 PM give or take.   

I don't remember Hermitage precisely because thanks to scheduling problems we had to have the Jr. High practice AFTER the high school practice was over.
Well there you go...

the game

Why is Coach Venny so concerned about Coach Kitchens and the Strong job ....does he have a buddy applying for the job or maybe he wants the job himself ......jeeez  ::)

bleudog

March 12, 2012, 06:43:07 pm #55 Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:26:54 pm by bleudog

Hermitage 2004-05
Norphlet    2005-08
Strong       2008-10
Norphlet    2010-11

At Strong we did not meet on Saturday or Sundays.   Though I did go exchange film with other teams a few times on Saturdays.

Spring practice at Strong and Norphlet of course during the times allowed by the AAA.

I don't know about Hermitage as I was hired just before the previous school year ended.

Some of the best responses to troll questions I've seen on FF.

+1 and good luck Coach DK. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: the game on March 12, 2012, 03:15:22 pm
   Why is Coach Venny so concerned about Coach Kitchens and the Strong job ....does he have a buddy applying for the job or maybe he wants the job himself ......jeeez  ::)
I guees you don't understand the context of the discussion here...not that I would expect you too...

the game

Quote from: bleudog on March 12, 2012, 06:43:07 pm

Hermitage 2004-05
Norphlet    2005-08
Strong       2008-10
Norphlet    2010-11

Best responses to troll questions I've seen on FF.

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 12, 2012, 06:49:43 pm
I guees you don't understand the context of the discussion here...not that I would expect you too...
Bleu's right  ;D

cuz

=

Hermitage 2004-05
Norphlet    2005-08
Strong       2008-10
Norphlet    2010-11

Some of the best responses to troll questions I've seen on FF.

+1 :D

Bulldog 4life

As a bulldog fan from the way you are takling to one of our former coaches sure hope you dont have plans for apply for this job, cause we dont treat our former coaches this way. In our eyes once a Bulldog Always A Bulldog. As for Coach Kitchens he was a good coach.

BigJimSlade

What about Norphlet? According to AAA board they have assistant opening with science certification.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Bulldog 4life on March 12, 2012, 10:10:41 pm

As a bulldog fan from the way you are takling to one of our former coaches sure hope you dont have plans for apply for this job, cause we dont treat our former coaches this way. In our eyes once a Bulldog Always A Bulldog. As for Coach Kitchens he was a good coach.
Hope you get him man...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: the game on March 12, 2012, 07:18:48 pm

Hermitage 2004-05
Norphlet    2005-08
Strong       2008-10
Norphlet    2010-11

Best responses to troll questions I've seen on FF.

Bleu's right  ;D
He doesn't know the context either...

FilmCrew

I don't know the context and I have read from the beginning.

I DO know that it has nothing to do with the title of this thread...

Bulldog 4life

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 13, 2012, 12:25:28 pm

Hope you get him man...

Oh an by the way I AM NOT A MAN..

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: FilmCrew on March 13, 2012, 12:49:44 pm

Well it kinda does and it kinda don't...Dayton is gonna apply for the Strong job, so in that context it does...what we are discussing kinda does...Good luck to Strong on finding a good coach...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Bulldog 4life on March 13, 2012, 12:55:34 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 13, 2012, 12:25:28 pm

Hope you get him man...

Oh an by the way I AM NOT A MAN..
Well...Hope you get him madam...

DogsWin7

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 13, 2012, 01:39:45 pm
Quote from: FilmCrew on March 13, 2012, 12:49:44 pm

Well it kinda does and it kinda don't...Dayton is gonna apply for the Strong job, so in that context it does...what we are discussing kinda does...Good luck to Strong on finding a good coach...

What?  I thought Dayton was applying for the job in Perryville?  Now I am confused  ???

What was the name of this thread again?   ::)

Yogi

Strong will hire who they think the best candidate is , not who Coach V. S. wants .

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Yogi on March 13, 2012, 01:46:02 pm
Strong will hire who they think the best candidate is , not who Coach V. S. wants .
I could honestly give two messes who Strong hires...

Donnie Jamon

cuz

Quote from: Donnie Jamon on March 13, 2012, 04:05:07 pm
Where's Waldo?
A little north west of Magnolia......appr. 7 miles on hwy 371 n

bleudog

Quote from: cuz on March 13, 2012, 05:53:08 pm
Quote from: Donnie Jamon on March 13, 2012, 04:05:07 pm
Where's Waldo?
A little north west of Magnolia......appr. 7 miles on hwy 371 n

33° 21′ 7″ N, 93° 17′ 40″ W

8)

bleudog

March 13, 2012, 08:58:10 pm #73 Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 09:32:05 pm by bleudog
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 13, 2012, 01:42:28 pmWhat?  I thought Dayton was applying for the job in Perryville?  Now I am confused  ???

What was the name of this thread again?   ::)

Dayton you gonna apply for the Strong Job? .........
Yes..............

I'd think assistant coaches applying for multiple open head coaching positions is pretty standard.  Who of us really knows what door the good Lord will open and when? 

FilmCrew

I guess the only thing to do now is go through what Coach Venny does at his practices...Find out what jobs he is applying for...What his record is...Then we can check the context, and see if it does or doesn't pertain to the topic of the thread...

bleudog

March 13, 2012, 09:20:44 pm #75 Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:28:52 am by bleudog
Quote from: FilmCrew on March 13, 2012, 09:03:27 pm
I guess the only thing to do now is go through what Coach Venny does at his practices...Find out what jobs he is applying for...What his record is...Then we can check the context, and see if it does or doesn't pertain to the topic of the thread...

That sounds "fair enough" under any "context."   ;D

+1 to FC for the suggestion.

Coach Venny Slocombe

+
I'll let ya know...

DogsWin7

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 14, 2012, 04:52:27 pm
+
I'll let ya know...

when?  ;)

bleudog

March 14, 2012, 07:02:08 pm #78 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:14:45 am by bleudog
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 14, 2012, 05:15:53 pm
+
I'll let ya know...

when?  ;)

I'll have to check, but I think you won the pool DieH.  Didn't you put your money on CVS having a curt, basically non-response at 4:00 pm Wednesday?  ;D

DogsWin7

March 15, 2012, 09:11:03 am #79 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:12:55 am by DiehardFBfan
Quote from: bleudog on March 14, 2012, 07:02:08 pm
+
I'll let ya know...

when?  ;)

I'll have to check, but I think you won the pool DieH.  Didn't you have a curt, basically non-response at 4:00 pm Wednesday?  ;D

Can you help me refresh my memory?   ;) 

I said I was going to quit posting, but it ain't working out. ;D

Coach Venny Slocombe

So, back on topic...is Dayton getting the job or what? If not Dayton then who?

bleudog

March 15, 2012, 09:20:50 am #81 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:31:54 am by bleudog
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 15, 2012, 09:11:03 am
+
I'll let ya know...

when?  ;)

I'll have to check, but I think you won the pool DieH.  Didn't you put your money on CVS having a curt, basically non-response at 4:00 pm Wednesday?  ;D

Don't you remember?  We called that FF meeting and all took our best guesses as to how and when CVS would respond to FC's asking CVS to answer the same questions CVS asked of Dayton.  You nailed it. ;D ;D ;D

That's the good news.  The bad news is nobody has funded the pool to pay out anything. :'( :'( :'(

bleudog

March 15, 2012, 09:36:28 am #82 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:42:07 am by bleudog
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 15, 2012, 09:17:57 am

Haven't seen anything in the local paper yet.

If they are far enough along in the selection process, the folks that do know might not be a position to say yet.

General question to anybody:  Don't teachers have 30 days to accept a contract for next school year or offers are rescinded?  Would most school have circulated those contracts yet?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bleudog on March 15, 2012, 09:20:50 am
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 15, 2012, 09:11:03 am
+
I'll let ya know...

when?  ;)

Don't you remember?  We called that FF meeting and all took our best guesses as to how and when CVS would respond to FC's asking CVS to answer the same questions CVS asked of Dayton.  You nailed it. ;D ;D ;D

That's the good news.  The bad news is nobody has funded the pool to pay out anything. :'( :'( :'(
Hang tight bleu, I will answer them. I was in meetings all day yesterday so have some catching up to do...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Here ya go...
1. I don't practice. It makes the kids mad so we just watch film for 30 minutes, talk about what we are gonna do for 30 more minutes then we go to the library and find some cool books to read so we curl up around the weight benches and have a good time. On weekends after we lose we don't meet as coaches to see what we can do better. We don't believe in that! That would be OT and we don't want to get better. On weekends we break out the books and read...
2. Not applying for any jobs at this point. This ones too easy...(plus I get to read alot)
3. Don't keep records here man (or madam). Why keep records when we don't care...or care to put in the time to get better. Heck, I'm happy with a .500 or worse record...and proud of it obviously...
4. Yes, it pertains to the context...why not? Who really cares? Let's be friends and grab a good book man...some Stephen King maybe...yeah...

the game

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 15, 2012, 09:43:31 am
Here ya go...
1. I don't practice. It makes the kids mad so we just watch film for 30 minutes, talk about what we are gonna do for 30 more minutes then we go to the library and find some cool books to read so we curl up around the weight benches and have a good time. On weekends after we lose we don't meet as coaches to see what we can do better. We don't believe in that! That would be OT and we don't want to get better. On weekends we break out the books and read...
2. Not applying for any jobs at this point. This ones too easy...(plus I get to read alot)
3. Don't keep records here man (or madam). Why keep records when we don't care...or care to put in the time to get better. Heck, I'm happy with a .500 or worse record...and proud of it obviously...
4. Yes, it pertains to the context...why not? Who really cares? Let's be friends and grab a good book man...some Stephen King maybe...yeah...
You sound like a Fake , of course we all knew that  ::)

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: bleudog on March 15, 2012, 09:36:28 am
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on March 15, 2012, 09:17:57 am

Haven't seen anything in the local paper yet.

If they are far enough along in the selection process, the folks that do know might not be a position to say yet.

General question to anybody:  Don't teachers have 30 days to accept a contract for next school year or offers are rescinded?  Would most school have circulated those contracts yet?
You are correct...30 days...

DogsWin7

March 15, 2012, 09:47:01 am #87 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:51:32 am by DiehardFBfan
Here ya go...

You've been talking to Dayton again haven't you? lol.........

You need to go over on Saturday Morning Quarterback under Rooney Rule and answer ZD! ;D

DogsWin7

March 15, 2012, 09:49:40 am #88 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:00:12 am by DiehardFBfan
 bleudog You are worried Coach Davis is coming back to Strong aren't ya? ;D  Not gonna happen my friend......

Teachers are not renewed until later in the spring are they?

FF Meeting going to be held tomorrow at 5 sharp!   ;)  Thanks for the reminder bleudog! ;D

Coach Venny Slocombe

March 15, 2012, 09:51:33 am #89 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:20:05 am by Coach Venny Slocombe
Quote from: the game on March 15, 2012, 09:45:39 am
Here ya go...
You sound like a Fake , of course we all knew that  ::)
Your still so dumb you don't get it do you...lolololololololol...but hey, glad I can give some entertainment...even though you have no clue what we are talking about...lol...and for the record...I have never claimed to be a coach. I have openly told everyone on here what I do for a living and what my name stands for...lololololol...

http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=81881.0

the game

Here ya go...
3.  Heck, I'm happy with a .500 or worse record...and proud of it obviously...
I see that your team "Mansfield" was 5-6 last year ... glad that makes you happy ... maybe you need to be concerned about the Coaching there ... of course it's easier to diverte attention from that situation  ;D

bleudog

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 15, 2012, 09:49:40 am
bleudog You are worried Coach Davis is coming back to Strong aren't ya? ;D  Not gonna happen my friend......

FF Meeting going to be held tomorrow at 5 sharp!   ;)  Thanks for the reminder bleudog! ;D

I only know Davis to see him and wish him the best as he progresses up the coaching ladder at a larger school.  Just feel for Strong in having to look for a new coach right after such a successful season.  But, smaller schools losing coaches to larger schools is the nature of the beast.  My dear old Dad always said life can be like it is in Dorcheat Bayou:  The big ones eat the little ones; been that way since time started and will be that way until time ends.

I was thinking the start time on that 30-day contract response timeline hadn't started yet at most schools.  And that might or might not impact filling the spot at Strong.  Did the guy at Waldron retire, terminate, reassign or leave for another job?

We might need to handle that FF meeting by conference call.  Our attendance rate is always pretty iffy. ;)

DogsWin7

Quote from: bleudog on March 15, 2012, 11:25:59 am
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 15, 2012, 09:49:40 am

I only know Davis to see him and wish him the best as he progresses up the coaching ladder at a larger school.  Just feel for Strong in having to look for a new coach right after such a successful season.  But, smaller schools losing coaches to larger schools is the nature of the beast.  My dear old Dad always said life can be like it is in Dorcheat Bayou:  The big ones eat the little ones; been that way since time started and will be that way until time ends.

I was thinking the start time on that 30-day contract response timeline hadn't started yet at most schools.  And that might or might not impact filling the spot at Strong.  Did the guy at Waldron retire, terminate, reassign or leave for another job?

We might need to handle that FF meeting by conference call.  Our attendance rate is always pretty iffy. ;)

Yep, every coach wants to move up the chain ;D

Coach Klatt resigned from HC job,  he still works at Waldron according to article on ur hometown sports back in Nov.

Wonder how many views and pages this thread will turn-out!!!! ;D 

Any top runners on who has applied?

Bulldog 4life

What makes y'all think that some of our assistant coaches are not  being looked at. I am not saying anyone is hired, but we have some GREAT assistant coaches here that would be great.  Still to early to predict what our school will do but who ever they pick our boys will be ready. Just saying...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: the game on March 15, 2012, 11:06:42 am
Here ya go...
3.  Heck, I'm happy with a .500 or worse record...and proud of it obviously...
I see that your team "Mansfield" was 5-6 last year ... glad that makes you happy ... maybe you need to be concerned about the Coaching there ... of course it's easier to diverte attention from that situation  ;D
Yep, had a down year...will be very good the next three though...still has nothing to do with me...or DK...still don't get it huh...lol...

DogsWin7

Where is Dayton?

Dayton I wouldn't let Coach V. say those things if they aren't true.  You better come out and defend yourself....(I am being serious.)

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 15, 2012, 06:35:11 pm
Where is Dayton?

Dayton I wouldn't let Coach V. say those things if they aren't true.  You better come out and defend yourself....(I am being serious.)

I think someone who mocks a coach for reading books is too far gone to be worthy of rational response........

DogsWin7

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 15, 2012, 06:55:14 pm
Where is Dayton?

I think someone who mocks a coach for reading books is too far gone to be worthy of rational response........

Do you actually think he means it? or is he just kidding?  I think the later but not sure.  What did he mean about he is not a Coach?  I'm fairly new to the thread...

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 15, 2012, 07:02:31 pm
Where is Dayton?

Do you actually think he means it? or is he just kidding?  I think the later but not sure.  What did he mean about he is not a Coach?  I'm fairly new to the thread...
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 15, 2012, 07:02:31 pm
Where is Dayton?

Oh he means it.   Because if he doesn't mean it he is just being a jerk.   

And I don't believe he is a jerk.

IIRC,  VC isn't a football coach but did work in coaching a different sport some time in the past.    I could be wrong.     If I'm mistaken he is welcome to correct me.

DogsWin7

Oh.  Well,  I am sure he will definitely correct you and me if your wrong. ;D   I guess he is referring to older post by the link he posted...........

Haven't heard from whippersnapper lately........guess he is busy.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas