• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rison at McGehee 9/28

Started by Zebras98, September 16, 2018, 08:42:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Rison High School
30 (69.8%)
McGehee High School
13 (30.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: September 26, 2018, 09:12:42 pm

Zebras98

HG Hornet

I posted earlier on another thread that I thought this game would be for first place.  Both teams are very good.  Toss up?  Home team by one score.

MR#1

Sports Guru

September 16, 2018, 11:49:25 pm #3 Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:02:35 am by Crossett Eagle
Rison looks pretty darn good this year. McGehee has major issues on offense, there defense played pretty good last week.

FoxandHound34

WonderWartHawg

September 17, 2018, 07:30:24 pm #5 Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:09:53 am by WonderWartHawg
McGehee (on the surface) hasn't looked quite as good as I expected them to play. However, that can change at a moments notice.

Rison has played fairly well, but hasn't really been challenged except for a couple of quarters by Fordyce.

The meat of Rison's schedule this year is on the road: McGehee, Barton, and mystery Dollarway. All have won multiple state championships. The flip side is, we catch all of them at home next year.

My prediction, and this is assuming both teams play the way they have to this point:

Rison 28
McGehee 24

ETA:  For the second time this season, Rison's game was called at halftime. One one hand, the starters should be rested, but on the other, not many reps last night.

wildcat_x-mgr

I think I'll try and make it to this one, should be a great game. I'm a tad worried about having two games (back-to-back home games, no less) called at halftime due to weather, and how that'll affect the team... But then again, Coach Totty should have them ready either way, he knows all about preparing the Cats.

Jimbo Morphis

If McGehee doesn't do a better job of protecting  the ball they will not win.

HorseFeathers

The meat of the schedule have all won multiple state championships....not sure why that matters when RISON has the most recent state title of any team mentioned and that was 13 years ago....

hootingowl

Mcgehee has played a tough non conference schedule. Rison was played a week non conference schedule. We will be able to see friday night just who has better team. OWLS 18-14 IN front of a packed house on homecoming night in a low scoring slopfest!!! ;D

WHITEchicken

Games suck in Mcgehee. It is either mosquitoes or cold wind. With that being said they are always exciting when Smack comes over there but against rison I don't know how this one goes. Oldman not saying much leads me to believe that rison is going to win this by about 14.

Leo Marvin

I think Mcgehee continues improvement and takes this one 28-21

hootingowl

I really have no clue who will win. Im not trying to talk crazy om here. Just saying from what i hear rison hasnt played near the competition mcgehee has. STRONG, Brinkley? Come on man! One thing is for sure if mcgehee cant hang onto football and puts it on ground 3-4  times this game owls will not win. Gonna have to play a perfect ballgame.

hootingowl

And yes mosquitos, cricketz, and some stink bugs will be out friday night. Better bring the off or you'll get carried away

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: WHITEchicken on September 23, 2018, 03:37:25 pm
Games suck in Mcgehee. It is either mosquitoes or cold wind. With that being said they are always exciting when Smack comes over there but against rison I don't know how this one goes. Oldman not saying much leads me to believe that rison is going to win this by about 14.
I don't know what to say. We have 3 starters that haven't played all year. Don't know when they will play. We reduced fumbles to 3 last week. We will need to get that to zero and hopefully get some if not all 3 of those injured back. We can be a good football team before the end of the year if we can get those things done.

Lumberjackfan1978

Gonna be a good game McGehee hasn't played real well this year but like old man said they have 3 starters that haven't played yet maybe they will be ready this week.

DeeGee

I have to go with Rison on this one, sorry oldman.
1st of all my trainer is from there, he went to A state was 8th pick in the draft, played on 4 NFL teams, Tyrell Johnson, he is a coach at Episcopal now, but still does 1 on 1 training for CB and Safety for me but trains at all positions. So I promised him I'd cheer for his team, so I am keeping a promise.
But the actual reason I chose Rison is because I think right now the are playing a little bit better than McGehee.

DeeGee

Quote from: hootingowl on September 23, 2018, 11:58:41 am
Mcgehee has played a tough non conference schedule. Rison was played a week non conference schedule. We will be able to see friday night just who has better team. OWLS 18-14 IN front of a packed house on homecoming night in a low scoring slopfest!!! ;D
"Has played," not was played.
"Weak not week."
Two totally different meanings.
I am so sorry, but I am a grammar freak and punctuation aswell, but not as bad as grammar.

I'm kind of thinking your "Slopfest," is your writing. You must be a player on the team or a student at school. 

imtie

Rison 26-18. McGehee keeps it close in the first half and fades in the forth.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: DeeGoldie on September 24, 2018, 11:01:16 pm
"Has played," not was played.
"Weak not week."
Two totally different meanings.
I am so sorry, but I am a grammar freak and punctuation aswell, but not as bad as grammar.

I'm kind of thinking your "Slopfest," is your writing. You must be a player on the team or a student at school.

What about proper spacing?😀

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: DeeGoldie on September 24, 2018, 09:23:59 pm
I have to go with Rison on this one, sorry oldman.
1st of all my trainer is from there, he went to A state was 8th pick in the draft, played on 4 NFL teams, Tyrell Johnson, he is a coach at Episcopal now, but still does 1 on 1 training for CB and Safety for me but trains at all positions. So I promised him I'd cheer for his team, so I am keeping a promise.
But the actual reason I chose Rison is because I think right now the are playing a little bit better than McGehee.
I have never confused people's picks with hating. I love the Razorbacks but I'm picking everyone they play this year.

Hgalum50

Quote from: hootingowl on September 23, 2018, 04:42:04 pm
I really have no clue who will win. Im not trying to talk crazy om here. Just saying from what i hear rison hasnt played near the competition mcgehee has. STRONG, Brinkley? Come on man! One thing is for sure if mcgehee cant hang onto football and puts it on ground 3-4  times this game owls will not win. Gonna have to play a perfect ballgame.
Rison never plays a tough nonconference schedule, it has been proven for years.

HG Hornet

MR#1

My 'not-so-bold' prediction:

Rison  34
McGehee 20

I hope it is a good game. Good luck to both teams. Go Cats!

MR#1

Quote from: Hgalum50 on September 25, 2018, 09:16:16 am
Rison never plays a tough nonconference schedule, it has been proven for years.

Most years, Rison's nonconference schedule consists of Fordyce and Woodlawn (when they field a team). There have been years when Star City was on the schedule. And, on many occasions, the nonconference schedule consisted of teams that have been in our conference (e.g., Junction City, Bearden, Hampton, Smackover, and Harmony Grove). The problem with nonconference is that it has been tough in recent years to get teams to play home-and-home because of distance. One must remember that many football schools in Southeast Arkansas consolidated over the years (e.g., Gould, Grady, Gillett, Delta, Chapel Academy, Jefferson Prep, and Altheimer). Often these schools were in Rison's conference or often on the nonconference schedule. Another factor is growth of school districts for various reasons. There was a time when Rison's nonconference schedule consisted of White Hall, Watson Chapel, Sheridan, and Warren (early- to mid-70s). And, historically, the Rison game was a loss most often for the other team regardless of location.

Bottom line: Other than Fordyce and Woodlawn, scheduling those two or three nonconference games for Rison is tough. I'm sure other schools struggle with this, especially those that seem to straddle the 2A/3A classifications.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: MR#1 on September 25, 2018, 10:06:24 am
Most years, Rison's nonconference schedule consists of Fordyce and Woodlawn (when they field a team). There have been years when Star City was on the schedule. And, on many occasions, the nonconference schedule consisted of teams that have been in our conference (e.g., Junction City, Bearden, Hampton, Smackover, and Harmony Grove). The problem with nonconference is that it has been tough in recent years to get teams to play home-and-home because of distance. One must remember that many football schools in Southeast Arkansas consolidated over the years (e.g., Gould, Grady, Gillett, Delta, Chapel Academy, Jefferson Prep, and Altheimer). Often these schools were in Rison's conference or often on the nonconference schedule. Another factor is growth of school districts for various reasons. There was a time when Rison's nonconference schedule consisted of White Hall, Watson Chapel, Sheridan, and Warren (early- to mid-70s). And, historically, the Rison game was a loss most often for the other team regardless of location.

Bottom line: Other than Fordyce and Woodlawn, scheduling those two or three nonconference games for Rison is tough. I'm sure other schools struggle with this, especially those that seem to straddle the 2A/3A classifications.
The reason Rison has had a tough time getting tougher games is because bigger schools don't like getting beat by smaller schools.

HG Hornet

September 25, 2018, 10:47:54 am #26 Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:51:16 am by CHG Hornet
Quote from: Oldman on September 25, 2018, 10:14:13 am
The reason Rison has had a tough time getting tougher games is because bigger schools don't like getting beat by smaller schools.
That's true.  We went to Rison and played a nonconference game in week 3 of 2015.  We lost 29-20, but had our chances for the win near the end of the game when we had the ball inside their 5 yard line trailing 22-20........then we fumbled it away and the Wildcat defender scooped it and was off to the races.  Even though we were 3A and they were 2A, we knew they were a more than worthy opponent.  We knew we could hang with them and the loss hurt, but it was not a demoralizing defeat.     

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: CHG Hornet on September 25, 2018, 10:47:54 am
That's true.  We went to Rison and played a nonconference game in week 3 of 2015.  We lost 29-20, but had our chances for the win near the end of the game when we had the ball inside their 5 yard line trailing 22-20........then we fumbled it away and the Wildcat defender scooped it and was off to the races.  Even though we were 3A and they were 2A, we knew they were a more than worthy opponent.  We knew we could hang with them and the loss hurt, but it was not a demoralizing defeat.     
Meant more like the Monticello's of the world. They dropped us in the 80's.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Oldman on September 25, 2018, 06:43:47 am
I have never confused people's picks with hating. I love the Razorbacks but I'm picking everyone they play this year.
Smart move. You'll be right most of the time.

Hawgpilot

Should be a good one for sure.  I don't know much about Rison this year, but I do know some in the program at McGehee had higher expectations for this years' Owls.

Owls by 7

DeeGee

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 24, 2018, 11:45:25 pm
That's all my phone. I do voice to text and sometimes it gets a little excited I suppose. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

DeeGee

Quote from: Oldman on September 25, 2018, 06:43:47 am

Lol, and most likely,  you're right. 

JeffSavagIV

snoopy22

I'm going to take McGehee 22-20.

WonderWartHawg

Rison has had Fordyce as a non conf opponent (except for 2 years they were actually in the same conference) for 60 or so consecutive years. Until this year, Rison has never been in a higher classification than Fordyce. It never matters much how good one team or the other is supposed to be, the games are always hard fought. Fordyce has always been a worthy non conf opponent.
Rison has had to fill in with LR McClellan's JV team the last couple of years to take the place of conf opponents that canceled their season right before the season started.
I remember that a couple of seasons ago, while Rison was in 2A, their first three games were against two 3A opponents and a 4A.
I'm not privy to the info as to the scheduling but I'm sure they try to put together a decent non conf schedule.

DeeGee

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 24, 2018, 11:45:25 pm
What about it?  I corrected my mistake. 
He didn't . My post was referring to grammar and punctuation, if we keep ìt real

Hgalum50

September 27, 2018, 01:27:20 am #36 Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:31:08 am by Hgalum50

I wasn't trying to throw shade at Rison. Y'all are a very consistant great program and have alot of proof to back it up. I'm just saying alot of these schools y'all play in nonconference are not great, except Fordyce. I just like to see great games, and would love to see Rison play a team like Nashville or even Junction City. I think Rison wins this game by 6 and wins the conference Friday night, but who knows it's football crazy things happen.

WonderWartHawg

I understand you're not throwing shade.
Rison has played Junction City many many times, mostly (if not all times) as a conference opponent though.

blackandoldgold

My wife & I were going to drive from White Hall to McGehee to see this game after work. I say were because mosquitoes were mentioned.

Been to lots & lots of football games all over south Arkansas & have never had to use mosquito spray. Not gonna start now.

Hate it. Should be a good game.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: blackandoldgold on September 27, 2018, 07:55:07 pm
My wife & I were going to drive from White Hall to McGehee to see this game after work. I say were because mosquitoes were mentioned.

Been to lots & lots of football games all over south Arkansas & have never had to use mosquito spray. Not gonna start now.

They will not be bad.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: blackandoldgold on September 27, 2018, 07:55:07 pm

will be a great game I think

blackandoldgold

Quote from: Oldman on September 27, 2018, 07:59:00 pm
They will not be bad.
Okay, you've talked me into it. We'll go!

For some odd reason, my wife really wants to go to the game.

However, her idea of a ballgame consists of eating a polish sausage & nachos, then wanting to leave. I've repeatedly told her, we have to stay for the entertainment portion, the game. LOL!

DeeGee

Quote from: blackandoldgold on September 27, 2018, 08:51:39 pm
Okay, you've talked me into it. We'll go!

For some odd reason, my wife really wants to go to the game.

However, her idea of a ballgame consists of eating a polish sausage & nachos, then wanting to leave. I've repeatedly told her, we have to stay for the entertainment portion, the game. LOL!

That's just how SOME woman roll!!!!!!!!!!

#1wildcatfan

WooHoo it's game day! I hope for a injury free night for both teams full of good sportsmanship. Maybe this game will be as exciting as the JR. High game was last night---just with a different outcome  :D

Jimbo Morphis

You guys have a safe trip coming over and going home. It's homecoming Owlfest so I'd get here a little early.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Oldman on September 28, 2018, 10:56:16 am
You guys have a safe trip coming over and going home. It's homecoming Owlfest so I'd get here a little early.
Oldman, do you think the owls will be able to eliminate the errors and get the job done tonight?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: CoolBreeze on September 28, 2018, 12:33:03 pm
Oldman, do you think the owls will be able to eliminate the errors and get the job done tonight?
Some of my people say yes and some of my people say no. I agree with my people.

CoolBreeze

September 28, 2018, 03:10:09 pm #47 Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 03:13:01 pm by CoolBreeze
Quote from: Oldman on September 28, 2018, 01:49:45 pm
Some of my people say yes and some of my people say no. I agree with my people.
There's nothing like giving a definitive answer.

WonderWartHawg

Winner of this one is in the early driver's seat for the 6AAA conference title. Of course, Barton could have a say in it too.

WonderWartHawg

Rison         30
McGehee    14

Final

Great game, closer than final score. Cats couldn't put it away until late.
This is going to be a great series.
Good game Owls.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas