• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morgan Hook

Started by Ty, December 14, 2010, 09:45:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty

The former Rogers standout was named Big 12 Freshman of the Week for this past week. She scored 26 points against Stephen F. Austin and is shooting 49% from behind the three point line and averaging 11.7 points as the 6th man.

The Sooners come to Fayetteville on the 19th for anyone that wants to go see her.

iknowmorethanyoudo

she's hit 5+ threes in at least two, maybe more, games this season. glad she's getting to contribute on such a good team.

CACKY

Quote from: Ty on December 14, 2010, 09:45:40 pm
The former Rogers standout was named Big 12 Freshman of the Week for this past week. She scored 26 points against Stephen F. Austin and is shooting 49% from behind the three point line and averaging 11.7 points as the 6th man.

The Sooners come to Fayetteville on the 19th for anyone that wants to go see her.
IMO, best player to come out of Arkansas since Shekinna Stricklin.  Really enjoyed watching her play in high school.  Glad she came up short in a couple of state tourney semis, but definitely the most talented player on the court!

reggiebushfan

She has set the freshmen record for 3's at OU twice with 7.

Too bad we have a joke of a program at the UA, and local kids can't take them seriously.

Ty

Can someone who is a little bit older explain why Gary Blair left?

ricepig

He basically wasn't asked back by Bev Lewis, aTm made an offer and he left. I'm sure there is more politics to it than that, but that's the Cliff notes version.

farfromgroovins

Quote from: reggiebushfan on December 15, 2010, 10:41:29 am
Too bad we have a joke of a program at the UA, and local kids can't take them seriously.

Think it's a matter of time before Foley at UALR gets the job?
He did it at AR Tech and puts some pretty good talent on the floor at UALR considering their level of competition.

ricepig

Someone needs to revive both basketball programs, it's an embarrassment the level that both have been allowed to fall to. I realize we have just signed a top class on the men's side, but we can't keep the top women's in state.

Ty

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2010, 12:51:23 pm
He basically wasn't asked back by Bev Lewis, aTm made an offer and he left. I'm sure there is more politics to it than that, but that's the Cliff notes version.
So we didn't ask back a coach who has had only one losing season in his entire coaching career, had a lifetime winning percentage of 71%, took Arkansas to a Final Four, and now has won 68% of his games at Texas A&M, which was the worst school in the Big 12 when he took over, not having a winning season in 7 years when he arrived?

Wow.

ricepig

I've forgotten what the deal was, I think he wanted a raise and she told him to go find one somewhere else, he did, and left. We probably pay as much or more now, but don't have the support we had back then.

iknowmorethanyoudo

I'm pretty sure Blair's family still lives in fayetteville? I wish they would fire collen and get foley or blair in there. the women's team shouldn't be near as pathetic as they are. its pitiful to watch. i'm sure UALR could beat UA and i know TA&M would mercy rule them.

Sect103

Not that they aren't still bad, but they are 9-0 as of right now.

Blair was a good guy. He took good care of those of us students who were there regularly. I had a lot of fun those women's games until Bev Lewis decided she HAD to have a female coach for the team.

Coach Blair would walk by us at men's games and give us a handful of tickets and by the end of his tenure, we actually had a decent little group of students going. He took a lot of heat from his fellow coaches for the placement of us right beside the visitor's bench. Magically we often got press guides for other teams. Coach was awesome. I have not been to a game since the nameless coach who destroyed the women's program's last year.

Yes, Coach Blair's family still lives here in Fayetteville.

Ty

Arkansas Tech would give Arkansas a run for their money.

Collen has been somewhat successful in the past. Over .700 winning percentage at Louisville. However, he hasn't been able to keep any talent in state over the past few years.

All Foley has done is win. .780 career winning percentage heading into this season. 2 national championships. 1 runner-up. 6 30 win seasons. 17 consectutive 20 win seasons.

ricepig

They always do well in non-conference games, but unfortunately, they then have to play the SEC games. I don't know what the answer is, but the support both teams receive now is an embarrassment.

Sect103

After a Women's Athletics official lied to me straight to my face about Coach Blair, I quit giving my money to that program. Then the men's team is not worth 25 bucks a pop to watch.

iknowmorethanyoudo

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2010, 10:50:15 pm
They always do well in non-conference games, but unfortunately, they then have to play the SEC games. I don't know what the answer is, but the support both teams receive now is an embarrassment.

if you see the teams they play you'll know why they win in non-conference. the only way they can win a game is to play horrible teams and they may pull out two SEC wins. and ATU could probably beat them.. so could many other DII teams. its just sad to see the program at such a poor level.

Sect103

Guys, let's not kid ourselves, we have never been competitive in the SEC. Even the years we were pretty good, we were at best about a .500 team in SEC play.

Ty

Quote from: Sect103 on December 16, 2010, 07:07:22 am
Guys, let's not kid ourselves, we have never been competitive in the SEC. Even the years we were pretty good, we were at best about a .500 team in SEC play.
But at least we were competitive.

Sect103

No disrespect to the Rogers fans on here, but Morgan Hook still has not won in Fayetteville.

Go Hogs!

Lady Razorbacks are a lot better than I expected.

heffy22

What was it you were saying? 

Quote from: iknowmorethanyoudo on December 16, 2010, 12:20:21 am

if you see the teams they play you'll know why they win in non-conference. the only way they can win a game is to play horrible teams and they may pull out two SEC wins. and ATU could probably beat them.. so could many other DII teams. its just sad to see the program at such a poor level.

shaniqua

I'm guessing lots of opinions may have changed after the undefeated 11-0 Lady Razorbacks just beat #12 ranked Oklahoma.  Surely all the crap about ATU being able to beat them will be silenced for a while.   ::)

ricepig

I hope they can manage a .500 record in conference. We always seem to struggle in conference, I know it's tough, top to bottom.

iknowmorethanyoudo

Quote from: heffy22 on December 20, 2010, 12:05:23 am
What was it you were saying? 

Quote from: iknowmorethanyoudo on December 16, 2010, 12:20:21 am

well last year they played them to OT in Norman. and UA was awful so i'm not gonna say that they're a good team until they make it through some tough SEC games. and more power to them if they do. i know some of the girls on the team and they all work incredibly hard and deserve a good win like the OU win. i hope they prove me wrong with SEC play. it'd be a nice surprise. :)

Valleysports

Hey back off of ATU, they're not just any DII Team, they're like one of the best DII teams in this nation having been ranked in the top 10 for like 2 yrs and winning 30+ games last yr, Conference, Region, playing in the National Playoffs.  They've been ranked #1 to #5, this year, and some expect them to win it all.  They have several girls who transferred back from DI programs and several that were stolen before DI programs got them (foreign students).  No need to bash one of the winningest programs in history, because a poster simply stated ATU would give Arkansas a run for their money!  If Arkansas would take care of their business as ATU's does, no one would compare them to DII programs.

reggiebushfan

Quote from: Sect103 on December 19, 2010, 07:36:32 pm
No disrespect to the Rogers fans on here, but Morgan Hook still has not won in Fayetteville.

Go Hogs!

Lady Razorbacks are a lot better than I expected.
I'm sure starting as a freshmen (6th man now, but not for long) for a perennial top 10 program will be a nice consolation prize.

Sect103

A perennial over-rated team. She will not get the shots she has gotten against good competition. Not that she's going to see a lot of that in the Texas 10. She was shut down in Fayetteville again.

iknowmorethanyoudo

Quote from: Sect103 on December 21, 2010, 08:56:21 pm
A perennial over-rated team. She will not get the shots she has gotten against good competition. Not that she's going to see a lot of that in the Texas 10. She was shut down in Fayetteville again.

consistently making elite 8 and final 4 runs isn't over rated. they depend heavily on her and another freshman for scoring. they will be up and down because of that this year.

Sect103

They have had some consistent success yes. (We could have had that if our former Lady Back Athletic Director couldn't handle someone becoming bigger than she.)  I'm not sure I would lump them in with UConn and Tennessee yet. They are not a final four team this year. I may eat those words, but I don't consider them great.

reggiebushfan

Quote from: Sect103 on December 21, 2010, 11:18:59 pm
They have had some consistent success yes. (We could have had that if our former Lady Back Athletic Director couldn't handle someone becoming bigger than she.)  I'm not sure I would lump them in with UConn and Tennessee yet. They are not a final four team this year. I may eat those words, but I don't consider them great.
Nobody is Uconn or Tennessee. OU is in that next tier though as a women's bball program.

OU was not a final four team last year either, but they made it. I think their poor post play will keep them out this year though.

I don't get hating on a local kid who has been nothing but class. Her team was out matched at 4 positions when they played fayetteville. The results shouldn't surprise you.

She is a great player, and will be successful at OU just like she always has.

I'd bet 10:1 that at the end of the year, OU>Arkansas. 

ricepig

Thanks, Mr. Hook, this is a message board with 95% of the posters Hog fans. A little banter amongst different high schools is expected. I don't think that any Hog fan is saying that they aren't jealous or envious of the Lady Sooner's success. We remember when we had Final Four teams and tournament expectations.

Congrats to her, and continued good luck except when she is playing the Lady Razorbacks.

Sect103

Sorry Mr. Hook.  I'm a Hog fan first. Do I wish the kids who go elsewhere well? Mostly. If Arkansas played Oklahoma State in men's basketball, you can bet your bottom dollar that I would not root for Fred during that game.

Poor Rogers. They were outmatched by Fayetteville. They will be this year too.

Sect103

Maybe I was wrong in saying we are for real. Egg laid at Florida today losing by 11 to a team that has lost to such powers as Brown and Hampton. I am sick of losing to middle of the pack SEC teams like they were Tennessee. Maybe a dollar will be too much on Thursday night.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas