• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Har-Ber Transfers to Springdale High

Started by soccerhawg, April 24, 2018, 02:17:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

soccerhawg

I'm just curious; how are all of these football players that left Har-Ber, after last season, going to be allowed to play at Springdale this Fall?  I thought that if you changed schools, outside of certain parameters, you were not eligible the next year.  I know that if you move districts, the loss of eligibility doesn't apply but I just can't believe that ALL of these players families moved, just around town.

Is there some kind of politics going on here?  Does anyone with actual knowledge of the situation know anything they can tell?

4real

Quick and easy transfers between these two are very common.  It's just not usual for it to be out of har-ber

francocat

Check out the thread "2018 Talk" from earlier this year under 7A.

Rob Van Winkle

All players who transferred have already been declared eligible to play in the fall. As another poster stated, in district transfers have been granted for various reasons since the 2 schools split. These transfers fell within a precedence that had already been set.

Rayburn

Quote from: soccerhawg on April 24, 2018, 02:17:36 pm
I'm just curious; how are all of these football players that left Har-Ber, after last season, going to be allowed to play at Springdale this Fall?  I thought that if you changed schools, outside of certain parameters, you were not eligible the next year.  I know that if you move districts, the loss of eligibility doesn't apply but I just can't believe that ALL of these players families moved, just around town.

Is there some kind of politics going on here?  Does anyone with actual knowledge of the situation know anything they can tell?
As you can see by now, no good reason it's allowed. The AAA just follows its rules when it wants, and disregards them when it wants. This particular precedent started the first year of Har-Ber's existence, when the AAA simply allowed every single kid in the new Harber school zone (that wanted to) play for Malzahn's state championship Bulldogs team. But precendent shouldn't really be a factor. The AAA should follow the rules in their own handbook.

Rob Van Winkle

May 24, 2018, 02:42:48 pm #5 Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:26:22 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: Rayburn on May 24, 2018, 11:15:47 am
As you can see by now, no good reason it's allowed. The AAA just follows its rules when it wants, and disregards them when it wants. This particular precedent started the first year of Har-Ber's existence, when the AAA simply allowed every single kid in the new Harber school zone (that wanted to) play for Malzahn's state championship Bulldogs team. But precendent shouldn't really be a factor. The AAA should follow the rules in their own handbook.

Harber did not offer varsity football in 2005. Their first year of varsity football was 2006 so yes those seniors were allowed to go to SHS. It's exactly what Bentonville and BVW did in West's first year of varsity football.

Also why shouldn't precedence be a factor? If this has been allowed previously for similar reasons, why shouldn't it be allowed now? No one was saying a word when kids were going from SHS across town but all of the sudden it is a problem.

And to the original posters question, there are no politics involved with the move, just a need for change for all parties involved-players and coaches.

Rzrback4Life

I keep seeing people post about how "no one said anything when kids transferred to Har-Ber."  Can someone give some names of student athletes that have transferred that were not forced to move or who were not already in Har-Ber district to begin with?

Rob Van Winkle

Naming names of kids, with the exception for accolades, is not a good idea in this board. With that said last season twin brothers played high school football in Springdale, one at Harber and one at SHS. Both started their careers at SHS but one was allowed to move to Harber after his sophomore season. Sad thing is the kid barely saw the field at HB and he would have been an impact player at SHS.

If the moves were approved by the school district, why is this even relevant? Precedence has been set in the district a long time ago on in district transfers- Right, wrong or indifferent. Heck HB coaches have said they will be better without the kids who left so if they feel that way, why does anyone else care?   

gameoflife

because a lot of transfers is the first sign of something shady going on. 

Rob Van Winkle

I understand the initial reaction to transfers. I have thought he same thing when I read where kids transferred.

Instead of immediately going to something shady going on the question should be asked "why do they want to leave?"  This question has been asked on other threads regarding this issue and there have been no direct answers on the message board out of respect for all those involved.

Hey Hootens still has Harber picked to finish above SHS in conference so the kids who left must not have been that important.

HarBer Dad

LOL Rob you are like a hawk watching over this thread swooping down to pounce on anyone who dares post  ;D

My understanding of the situation as it has evolved is that it could be a good thing for all involved.  I certainly hope so for all current and future players at both schools.  The kids who left where good quality players and young men, I wish them well.  I would love to see both teams playing each other late in November, that would be fun.

Rob Van Winkle

HB Dad  ;D ;D ;D

Hopefully it will be the best thing for everyone involved, players and coaches. Should be a fun year and I too hope they meet in late November. It would be great for the community.

businesstron

Is there a point where we can atleast name the positions of the ones the transferred?   I can tell who did by just reading Hootens and some of them will have some impact. One in particular.

Rob Van Winkle

QB will be the biggest impact for the success of the team. Other positions are
WR/CB
OLB/TE
WR/RB/S
RB/LB
MLB

STBruin

Ok, so in the AAA's eyes...there is no problem with a kid transfering 5 miles, according to Google Maps, and can remain eligible athletically? That, in my opinion is ridiculous, but they have been allowing it in LR. I know of a couple kids who have played at 3 different schools in 3 consecutive years...

Razorback Red

I don't have the details of this particular situation, but as I've stated in another thread it's really easy in the 7A to pick the school you want to play at.  In NWA, there are seven 7A schools within 30 miles of each other and then sprinkle in some quality 4A programs (PR, PG and Shiloh), kids can play where they want in the system that fits them the best.  Parents can work for Walmart, a Walmart supplier, Tyson or JB Hunt and live anywhere they want from Bella Vista to Fayetteville.  Happens every day, and yes parents do move for their kids schools. 

I don't see the big deal here.  I think the same scenario could be true for LR, Cabot, Conway, Benton, Bryant or any of the quality smaller schools in the LR area.  It's pretty easy in 2018 to find the fit you want for your kids. 

businesstron

In all honestly it shouldn't be a be deal.  I've seen a few kids go back in forth between the schools since it opened.   My only question is how good will it make Springdale?  They got some good kids in deal.

sportsguy80

Quote from: businesstron on August 01, 2018, 10:50:39 am
In all honestly it shouldn't be a be deal.  I've seen a few kids go back in forth between the schools since it opened.   My only question is how good will it make Springdale?  They got some good kids in deal.
That's what I'm gonna find out too. I've been under a rock with work and family this summer so I'm trying to get back caught up on what's going on. I should have known there were going to be some changes for both football programs after last season due to a number of events. I know players, coaches, and parents from both schools. After reading some of your posts, I will have to agree that this move was kinda unusual but definitely justified.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: STBruin on July 27, 2018, 11:05:23 am
Ok, so in the AAA's eyes...there is no problem with a kid transfering 5 miles, according to Google Maps, and can remain eligible athletically? That, in my opinion is ridiculous, but they have been allowing it in LR. I know of a couple kids who have played at 3 different schools in 3 consecutive years...

weren't transfer rules made to restrict public to private and private to private transfers?

STBruin

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on August 19, 2018, 05:29:09 pm
weren't transfer rules made to restrict public to private and private to private transfers?

EXACTLY...but if your in public school and want to transfer to a public school...its all fair game.

AirWarren

Quote from: sickofwhiners on October 30, 2018, 02:31:42 pm
https://www.harberherald.com/news/2018/10/30/former-wildcats-use-academics-to-justify-hardship-requests/

The video at the end of the article.....is the reason why kids are turning into POS human beings.....look at that fine example that clown is setting.

Rob Van Winkle

October 30, 2018, 04:17:30 pm #22 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:19:32 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: AirWarren on October 30, 2018, 03:20:45 pm
The video at the end of the article.....is the reason why kids are turning into POS human beings.....look at that fine example that clown is setting.
Looks kind of funny to me...... And as for the kids, none of them are POS. All have 3.5 or better GPA's and scored very well on their ACT tests and they do not get in trouble. As for the clown, well that would be me. I can send you the video if you would like. By the way, there is always more to the story than what you read or even see.......

Harber people are just mad because the kids who transferred to SHS beat them and did it in a gut wrenching way and it was the QB that the HC at Harber didn't want who stuck the dagger in them and twisted it.

Have a great day

businesstron

Interesting time for that article to come out.

Rob Van Winkle

October 30, 2018, 04:38:33 pm #24 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:40:59 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: businesstron on October 30, 2018, 04:24:59 pm
Interesting time for that article to come out.
The really sad part is this is being stirred up by one set of parents at SHS because their son got beat out by one of the transfers so they would rather drag the team down and lose as long as their kid gets to play. THAT is what is wrong with society, not some clown burning stuff he was never going to wear again  ;D ;D ;D

Also there were several untrue statements made in the article but journalistic integrity went out the window years ago........

HarBer Dad

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 30, 2018, 04:38:33 pm
The really sad part is this is being stirred up by one set of parents at SHS because their son got beat out by one of the transfers so they would rather drag the team down and lose as long as their kid gets to play. THAT is what is wrong with society, not some clown burning stuff he was never going to wear again  ;D ;D ;D

Also there were several untrue statements made in the article but journalistic integrity went out the window years ago........

Time to turn the page   :-\

Maynard G Krebs

October 30, 2018, 05:14:53 pm #26 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 05:16:34 pm by Maynard G Krebs
Integrity...interesting choice of words

Brian G

Brian G

Very interesting the HB school newspaper is the source of this story.

The local media could blow this thing to smithereens if they wanted to divulge the full transfer history between schools.

Sad that it's come to this.

AirWarren

October 30, 2018, 06:09:01 pm #29 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:12:19 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 30, 2018, 04:17:30 pm
Looks kind of funny to me...... And as for the kids, none of them are POS. All have 3.5 or better GPA's and scored very well on their ACT tests and they do not get in trouble. As for the clown, well that would be me. I can send you the video if you would like. By the way, there is always more to the story than what you read or even see.......

Harber people are just mad because the kids who transferred to SHS beat them and did it in a gut wrenching way and it was the QB that the HC at Harber didn't want who stuck the dagger in them and twisted it.

Have a great day

I saw all I need to see with the video embedded and this reply solidified any further thoughts have on the matter/reaction.

Kudos. Best of luck to you guys.

AirWarren

October 30, 2018, 06:11:16 pm #30 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:15:07 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: B.G. on October 30, 2018, 05:33:30 pm
Very interesting the HB school newspaper is the source of this story.

The local media could blow this thing to smithereens if they wanted to divulge the full transfer history between schools.

Sad that it's come to this.

It's pretty pathetic. Interview the kids and it's about "playing time and getting to the next level". Interview the "parents" and ones filling out the legalities and it's all about education.

I've always been one to defend public schools against private school advantage but this garbage sure does make it hard to continue.

Yup, it doesn't pass the smell test at all. If you're going to leave or transfer then so be it. But don't act like trash about it. 

Rob Van Winkle

October 30, 2018, 06:31:56 pm #31 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:33:57 pm by Rob Van Winkle

[/quote]

5tooldad

I don't know any of those kids so calling them POS's is not something I'd ever do.  The behavior of the dad in front of the kids is sad.  The fact that coach Clark was there and ok with I told is also sad.  Shame on them both.  (And I'm a guy who can't  stand Chris Wood or his program)   The Dad shows his rear regularly at football games.  At least at the ones I've seen him at.  So I guess the video should be no shock. 

BTW....I don't see much in the way of D-1 potential out of most of the transfers.  At all.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: 5tooldad on October 30, 2018, 07:17:50 pm
I don't know any of those kids so calling them POS's is not something I'd ever do.  The behavior of the dad in front of the kids is sad.  The fact that coach Clark was there and ok with I told is also sad.  Shame on them both.  (And I'm a guy who can't  stand Chris Wood or his program)   The Dad shows his rear regularly at football games.  At least at the ones I've seen him at.  So I guess the video should be no shock. 

BTW....I don't see much in the way of D-1 potential out of most of the transfers.  At all.

You are right 5tool, I do tend to get wound up with at football games and sporting events.

For more detail regarding that night, I am a huge  Miami Hurricane fan and that was the same night Clemson kicked their butt in the ACC championship game. So when they lose I tend to get hacked and burn Miami stuff so I burned a bunch, and I mean A BUNCH, of Miami stuff. So after burning Miami gear I decided to burn Harber gear and have some laughs with my friends that came over. We had some laughs and moved on. Obviously the video was never intended to get out and the article stated that my son filmed it which is not true. It was another kid who was living with us while his parents moved away due to his dads terminal cancer. We didn't realize he made a video and he ultimately sent it to the Harber coaches. This was after he had transferred to SHS and then went back to Harber.

As far as D1 well those kids that said that probably shouldn't have made a statement that strong but give them credit for having confidence. Also those quotes were taken during an interview in December 2017 while they were still students at Harber but had already been approved by the district to transfer to SHS.

I'm not making excuses, rather just shedding some more insight as to the events that really happened.

5tooldad

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 30, 2018, 07:38:09 pm
You are right 5tool, I do tend to get wound up with at football games and sporting events.

For more detail regarding that night, I am a huge  Miami Hurricane fan and that was the same night Clemson kicked their butt in the ACC championship game. So when they lose I tend to get hacked and burn Miami stuff so I burned a bunch, and I mean A BUNCH, of Miami stuff. So after burning Miami gear I decided to burn Harber gear and have some laughs with my friends that came over. We had some laughs and moved on. Obviously the video was never intended to get out and the article stated that my son filmed it which is not true. It was another kid who was living with us while his parents moved away due to his dads terminal cancer. We didn't realize he made a video and he ultimately sent it to the Harber coaches. This was after he had transferred to SHS and then went back to Harber.

As far as D1 well those kids that said that probably shouldn't have made a statement that strong but give them credit for having confidence. Also those quotes were taken during an interview in December 2017 while they were still students at Harber but had already been approved by the district to transfer to SHS.

I'm not making excuses, rather just shedding some more insight as to the events that really happened.
i probably shouldn't have thrown in the d1 comment because a) what the heck do I know and b) sounded like a shot at your son and his teammates which was not my intention.  And if im being honest, I get fired up at some games too.  Not as fired up as you but....

The whole thing has just been a bad look from the get go.  And this only magnified it.

But on one thing we agree....Chris Woods is a jerk. 

gameoflife

I think the video says a lot about the examples being set, by those present at the bonfire.  Shame.  If the transcript of the video and the interviews are correct as well as coach Clarks presence,  I cannot understand how the AAA allows eligibility. 

AirWarren

October 30, 2018, 07:54:28 pm #36 Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 07:57:04 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: 5tooldad on October 30, 2018, 07:17:50 pm

I didn't call his kids that. Or any of those kids involved.

I made a general reference to kids in general regarding their attitudes toward society and authority and the poor people examples they are following.

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on October 30, 2018, 07:53:44 pm
I think the video says a lot about the examples being set, by those present at the bonfire.  Shame.  If the transcript of the video and the interviews are correct as well as coach Clarks presence,  I cannot understand how the AAA allows eligibility. 

That was my point as well.

gameoflife

Kids generally do what they are allowed to do.  They follow the leader.

AirWarren

Quote from: 5tooldad on October 30, 2018, 07:53:29 pm
i probably shouldn't have thrown in the d1 comment because a) what the heck do I know and b) sounded like a shot at your son and his teammates which was not my intention.  And if im being honest, I get fired up at some games too.  Not as fired up as you but....

The whole thing has just been a bad look from the get go.  And this only magnified it.

One thing I can agree with him too is I'm a hurricane fan too and I also was disgusted at Clemson trashing Miami lol. I'm not going to drink it up and start burning my gear though haha.

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on October 30, 2018, 07:58:13 pm
Kids generally do what they are allowed to do.  They follow the leader.

"Leader".

5tooldad

Quote from: AirWarren on October 30, 2018, 07:54:28 pm
I didn't call his kids that. Or any of those kids involved.

I made a general reference to kids in general regarding their attitudes toward society and authority and the poor people examples they are following.
i know.  I WAs more responding to his response.  Apologies if it sounded like an  accusation.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: 5tooldad on October 30, 2018, 07:53:29 pm

No worries man! I know you didn't mean anything about the comment and I certainly didn't take it as a jab. I agree it is a bad look, and I know others are throwing stones, but what if everything you said or did at your own house became visible to the public?? Unfortunately his video did even though no one had knowledge it was being taken. Oh well I own my actions. Coach Clark has been a friend of mine for several years so if he was really recruiting, my son would have played for him all 3 years instead of his senior year. But the context of the article along with the video portray everything in a negative light, especially towards Coach Clark. That was the intent of the journalism department at Harber so congrats to them on accomplishing what they set out to do.

Life goes on my friends.....

AirWarren

Quote from: 5tooldad on October 30, 2018, 08:01:52 pm
i know.  I WAs more responding to his response.  Apologies if it sounded like an  accusation.

You're good. I'm just clarifying for anyone reading.

beach bum

I usually have no reason to come up to the 7A board, but I'll have my popcorn out for this thread.

Maynard G Krebs

JacketFan

Quote from: sickofwhiners on October 30, 2018, 02:31:42 pm
https://www.harberherald.com/news/2018/10/30/former-wildcats-use-academics-to-justify-hardship-requests/
Needless to say, this whole scenario sickens me, any coach that would sit there and participate in that foolishness has no business coaching.  Great parenting, hey son, let's just leave your team that you been playing with all these years, we are just gonna jump ship when the going gets tough, one heckuva lesson taught there.  This is a prime example of the crap the AAA should be handing out punishments on.  Absolutely sickened by this.  I have coached kids for 25 years, and this by far beats all I have ever seen. And don't ever refer to that dude on the video as a coach, he does not deserve the respect that the title of coach warrants. 

ZoneBuster

Man, who knew Friday Night Lights had some unreleased episodes still out there.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

Quote from: beach bum on October 30, 2018, 08:21:38 pm
I usually have no reason to come up to the 7A board, but I'll have my popcorn out for this thread.

Agreed. But, would this be a bigger issue if it were between two schools that had any shot at the title?

Pat Swilling

The guy in the Red jacket in the background is the Coach?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas