• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charleston @ Mansfield

Started by FBGFDRUM, September 29, 2018, 09:02:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FBGFDRUM

With a seemingly inconsistent Charleston team and a riding high Mansfield team this game is hard to call. Will tradition take control and Charleston pull through, or will the red Tigers jump at their best chance in years to upend Charleston?

You ain't hearing a prediction from me.

beach bum

Charleston seems to have the turnover and penalty bug this season which is hurting them badly.... If they can clean that up they'll win. If not Mansfield is too good this year and will capitalize. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out cause if Charleston wins this then the tie breaker points will already start coming into play in this conference.

TRH

Quote from: beach bum on September 29, 2018, 09:05:47 pm
Charleston seems to have the turnover and penalty bug this season which is hurting them badly.... If they can clean that up they'll win. If not Mansfield is too good this year and will capitalize. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out cause if Charleston wins this then the tie breaker points will already start coming into play in this conference.

Now, I only saw the final score of the Greenland vs. Charleston game, so did the "turnover and penalty bug" cost Charleston that game?
I only ask, because against Greenland, Mansfield had more penalties than did the Pirates, turnovers were about a wash.
Mansfield had a TD taken off of the scoreboard due to a holding call, the Tigers holder for PAT's was hurt early and without a replacement they were forced to go for 2 after every TD (and the Tigers didn't score on any of their 5, 2 point conversion attempts. I say all of this to point out that I think that many on here are picking their winners and losers based on what's happened many, MANY times in the past. "So far" this season this Mansfield team seems to have a little more going for them than Tiger teams from the past.
I really thought that Greenland looked pretty respectable against Mansfield, so I'm going with the Red Tigers by the same 13 that Greenland defeated Charleston by on the Pirates home field.

CapnObvious

Charleston had 17 penalties against Greenland if I'm not mistaken and several of those cost us good field position, we were also without 4 key starters due to injuries. If we clean up the flags and get healthy I believe chuck will get a key road win .

TRH

Quote from: CapnObvious on September 30, 2018, 10:58:24 am
Charleston had 17 penalties against Greenland if I'm not mistaken and several of those cost us good field position, we were also without 4 key starters due to injuries. If we clean up the flags and get healthy I believe chuck will get a key road win .

Wow, that was a LOT of penalties for a single game, but with 4 starters out there was bound to be some confusion.
With Charleston only averaging less than 48 yards a game rushing (almost 253 through the air), I'm not sure that I wouldn't play a prevent defense and make them beat me with their ground game (if they could). Charleston's best game BY FAR running the football was against Dardanelle, where they amassed 117 yards on 32 rushing attempts, but that was still only 3.7 YPC. Other than that, their best game rushing statistically was against Greenland, where they gained 47 yards (Charleston's average) on 20 carries, or 2.4 YPC. Charleston is averaging 2.3 YPC for the season, so far.
Have Charleston's opponents been unable to stop the pass, hence the really low rushing numbers, or is the issue something else?

CoolBreeze

Quote from: TRH on September 30, 2018, 11:31:14 am
Wow, that was a LOT of penalties for a single game, but with 4 starters out there was bound to be some confusion.
With Charleston only averaging less than 48 yards a game rushing (almost 253 through the air), I'm not sure that I wouldn't play a prevent defense and make them beat me with their ground game (if they could). Charleston's best game BY FAR running the football was against Dardanelle, where they amassed 117 yards on 32 rushing attempts, but that was still only 3.7 YPC. Other than that, their best game rushing statistically was against Greenland, where they gained 47 yards (Charleston's average) on 20 carries, or 2.4 YPC. Charleston is averaging 2.3 YPC for the season, so far.
Have Charleston's opponents been unable to stop the pass, hence the really low rushing numbers, or is the issue something else?
I've heard it said that the only thing the prevent defense prevents is victory for the team that uses it. Seriously that type of defense guarantees that a passing team gets 5-7 yards per pass. That only works if you have a lead and the clock is your ally. It's a recipe for disaster if used for a entire game against a good passer.

MICHAELSPAPPY

September 30, 2018, 01:44:05 pm #6 Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:46:44 pm by MICHAELSPAPPY
Quote from: TRH on September 30, 2018, 11:31:14 am
With Charleston only averaging less than 48 yards a game rushing  Charleston's best game BY FAR running the football was against Dardanelle, where they amassed 117 yards on 32 rushing attempts

Well, you said it so it must be true, but those numbers look BAD. I would say that very physical teams might give Ctown trouble. I was told their O-line is not very big.

MICHAELSPAPPY

September 30, 2018, 01:45:58 pm #7 Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:48:22 pm by MICHAELSPAPPY
Not having seen either team, I couldn't say who I think will win, but I hope Charleston loses. Mansfield has to have a lot of years of frustration built up, waiting to get released on those other Tigers.

Mansfield's unique situation with visitors' bleachers gives them more of a hometown advantage than most fields. It pretty much takes the visiting fans out of the game.

TRH

Quote from: CoolBreeze on September 30, 2018, 01:15:52 pm
I've heard it said that the only thing the prevent defense prevents is victory for the team that uses it. Seriously that type of defense guarantees that a passing team gets 5-7 yards per pass. That only works if you have a lead and the clock is your ally. It's a recipe for disaster if used for a entire game against a good passer.

If we were discussing college, or the NFL I would most definitely agree, but in this scenario (3A ball) I'd certainly make Charleston prove that they can consistently get 5-7 yards per pass, before reverting to a my base defense. I generally don't much care for a prevent defense either, but against a team that hasn't shown the ability "so far" to run the football, I'd load up in the secondary and make them either beat me with the run, or take their chances throwing into a crowed defensive backfield.

MICHAELSPAPPY

If they only have those sort of run numbers, just whip them soundly up front, and it won't matter.

TRH

September 30, 2018, 02:00:03 pm #10 Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:02:27 pm by TRH
Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 30, 2018, 01:44:05 pm
Well, you said it so it must be true, but those numbers look BAD. I would say that very physical teams might give Ctown trouble. I was told their O-line is not very big.

I'm getting my numbers from the Maxpreps site, so they should be "fairly close". Charleston's game with Cedarville hasn't been added.

Rushing
Date   Result          Opponent           Car   Yds   Avg   Lng   100+   TD

08/24   W 37-14   Melbourne (AR)   16   16   1.0   18     0           1
08/31   L 27-28   Dardanelle (AR)   32   117   3.7   28     0           2
09/14   W 20-19   Ozark (AR)         14   6    0.4          0   
09/21   L 12-25   Greenland (AR)   20   47   2.4   26     0   

Season Totals                                 82   186   2.3   28     0           3

I'm MUCH more concerned with their passing game, than I am their rushing attack, just going by the raw numbers.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: TRH on September 30, 2018, 02:00:03 pm
I'm MUCH more concerned with their passing game, than I am their rushing attack, just going by the raw numbers.

To this point I agree with you. Just make sure their QB is counting his completions lying on his back each time.

TRH

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on September 30, 2018, 02:12:32 pm

To this point I agree with you. Just make sure their QB is counting his completions lying on his back each time.

I observed Charleston on 4-5 occasions, during the summer at various 7 on 7's and team camps. When their QB had all day to find a receiver and wasn't pressured he was very smooth. OTOH, when he was dealing with an effective pass rush and had to scramble to get his passes off he was far less effective (I guess that's to be expected) and seemed to get visibly frustrated, which made him even less accurate with his throws. If Mansfield can get by Charleston, have a respectable showing against Booneville the following week on the road, then I think that others around the state will realize that this isn't your typical Mansfield Tiger football team.

MICHAELSPAPPY

I am already convinced it is better than typical. I just don't know how good it is.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: TRH on September 30, 2018, 02:29:57 pm
I observed Charleston on 4-5 occasions, during the summer at various 7 on 7's and team camps. When their QB had all day to find a receiver and wasn't pressured he was very smooth. OTOH, when he was dealing with an effective pass rush and had to scramble to get his passes off he was far less effective (I guess that's to be expected) and seemed to get visibly frustrated, which made him even less accurate with his throws. If Mansfield can get by Charleston, have a respectable showing against Booneville the following week on the road, then I think that others around the state will realize that this isn't your typical Mansfield Tiger football team.
A couple of pretty big ifs. And you can't afford to forget about Lamar, especially if the team is a bit banged up after facing Booneville.

TRH

Quote from: CoolBreeze on September 30, 2018, 04:49:15 pm
A couple of pretty big ifs. And you can't afford to forget about Lamar, especially if the team is a bit banged up after facing Booneville.

Nothing's a for sure when it comes to W's and L's in this conference. And injuries could and probably will play a role down the line as to the eventual order of finish. All any team can do is take it one game at a time and bring their "A" game as often as possible.  I'm most certainly not counting any chickens before they hatch, but I am considerably more optimistic about the possibility of chickens than in recent years.  lol

Here's you a couple of big "If's" -

If Charleston's OL can afford their QB sufficient time to locate his receivers, the Red Tigers could be in for a long night.

If Mansfield's defense can constantly harass the Charleston QB, then that should bode well for the home team. 

High Voltage

Wow, Mansfield is riding high right now. Charleston has beat Mansfield handily over the years with the exception of 2010 I believe. I think that year Mansfield won the conference. That was a very good Mansfield team coached by Greenwood's DC Jason Gill. I will go look it up but I think Mansfield beat Charleston pretty badly.

mhs85grad

Quote from: High Voltage on October 01, 2018, 07:13:52 am
Wow, Mansfield is riding high right now. Charleston has beat Mansfield handily over the years with the exception of 2010 I believe. I think that year Mansfield won the conference. That was a very good Mansfield team coached by Greenwood's DC Jason Gill. I will go look it up but I think Mansfield beat Charleston pretty badly.

I believe it was a two TD victory for the Red Tigers but the game really wasn't that close. Mansfield just flat out rammed the ball down Charleston's throat that night.

HorseFeathers

Didn't Mansfield make the Quarterfinals(maybe semis) in 2010?

mhs85grad

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 01, 2018, 10:40:26 am
Didn't Mansfield make the Quarterfinals(maybe semis) in 2010?
They made Quarterfinals for 3 straight years starting in 2008 I believe.

AlumniLights

Worst decision Mansfield has ever made athletically speaking is letting Gill walk away. 2010 was a rough year for the black & gold, their first 9-3 season since 2006. I remember this game in 2010 though, Casey Polk dominated the ground game all night.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: mhs85grad on October 01, 2018, 11:29:37 am
They made Quarterfinals for 3 straight years starting in 2008 I believe.

2008 was the year I was thinking about...They came to Atkins and beat them down pretty good in the 2nd round..

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: TRH on September 30, 2018, 05:27:37 pm
And injuries could and probably will play a role down the line as to the eventual order of finish.

At this level no one has much depth to spare.

TRH

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on October 01, 2018, 04:45:17 pm
At this level no one has much depth to spare.

There is some 3A teams with 40+ kids...

Smackover Fan

Going with all the "ifs."
If Charleston scores more points, they will likely win.
If Mansfield does, Charleston likely loses this one.
I'm going with my gut. Charleston by 2 scores. One late to seal the deal.

TRH

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 01, 2018, 04:50:36 pm

That was kind of my point, 40 vs. say 29 (where Mansfield was before the season started) may not seem like a huge difference, but at such a low number a single injury to a critically thin position can absolutely destroy that teams hopes of a bright season pretty quickly!

I don't know how many players Booneville has, but they lost their Sr. starting signal caller right out of the box and never missed a beat!
And I know for sure that at least one of their players dislocated his shoulder and was at St. Edwards on the 2nd week of the season.
I must admit, they are a machine!

mhs85grad

Since so many play both ways at this level one injury can in reality be two injuries.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Some, but not many. And those aren't 40 kids that the coach would put on the field with the game on the line.

High Voltage

Quote from: mhs85grad on October 01, 2018, 07:36:16 pm
Since so many play both ways at this level one injury can in reality be two injuries.
Possibly three if that guy is the Punter or Kicker. 4 Maybe? That would kill a depth chart!

HorseFeathers

4 + he could be on return team too

MICHAELSPAPPY

Every program will have "bandwagon jumpers" when things are going well, which runs up their numbers. They want to be on the team if there some glory attached to it. But watch them disappear when things go south a little.

MICHAELSPAPPY

I definitely would mark down Mansfield as the pleasant surprise of the year so far.

Eaglehawk535

After watching my mother in laws beloved Paris Eagles get stomped the last two weeks, I will be attending this one Friday night. Mansfield are clearly the in form team coming into this game but tradition should be enough for the black and gold tigers to get a win. The big question for me is who will be the QB Friday night for Charleston? Stovall has been putting up big numbers for Mansfield while the Charleston O has been struggling. Will the change in QB for Charleston give them the kick start they need.

CHSTigersFan

Quote from: AlumniLights on October 01, 2018, 02:27:23 pm
Worst decision Mansfield has ever made athletically speaking is letting Gill walk away. 2010 was a rough year for the black & gold, their first 9-3 season since 2006. I remember this game in 2010 though, Casey Polk dominated the ground game all night.
Totally agree with letting Gill go was NOT a good thing for Mansfield.

mhs85grad

Quote from: CHSTigersFan on October 02, 2018, 01:52:36 pm
Totally agree with letting Gill go was NOT a good thing for Mansfield.

Yeah. It's taken until now to recover. Mansfield has a good staff now and has the boys bought in and working hard. Saw on social media where high school players are going to little league games and supporting them.

AlumniLights

I am a very firm believer that it takes a whole community to come together and build a culture. Starting with the little league. The support system by the senior high players at the pee wee games will help build a bigger bond in the community, because, if you think about it, the only time some of those kids/parents see the players is on the field on Friday night. Once you get that ball rolling and the town behind you, as tradition grows, expectations grow as well.

CoolBreeze

Will this be the week that Mansfield true believers get a dose of reality?

TRH

Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 04, 2018, 11:01:58 am
Will this be the week that Mansfield true believers get a dose of reality?

I thought you and others were predicting that last week would seperate the contenders from the pretenders, with at least one poster boldly picking Greenland by 18? Charleston could very well win this Friday, but they'll have to play a MUCH cleaner game at Mansfield, than they did at home, against Cedarville last Friday to take home the "W". It'll be a good game and I'm expecting the place to be packed and the crowd to be vocal, so a great atmosphere for Friday night football.

OLDSCHOOL82

^ A great atmosphere for football is impossible at Mansfield.  The visitor stands wont allow it.

beach bum

Always bring your megaphone to the birds nests on the visitors side at Mansfield if you want the players to actually hear the cheering...

MICHAELSPAPPY

Best home field advantage in the conference.

TRH

October 04, 2018, 12:32:53 pm #42 Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:09:45 pm by TRH
Quote from: beach bum on October 04, 2018, 11:44:27 am
Always bring your megaphone to the birds nests on the visitors side at Mansfield if you want the players to actually hear the cheering...
lol
I'll argue with anyone that the Mansfield football team is vastly improved over last season, but you got me when it comes to the visitors seating. That's pretty much indefensible. I've never seen anything quiet like it.  lol

FBGFDRUM

What were the jr. high scores?

CatPride

Mansfield wins tonight. Taking nothing away from Mansfield, they have played great so far, but, IMO, Charleston is not very good. If Mansfield takes care of business tonight, this will set up a BIG game next week.....

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: TRH on October 04, 2018, 12:32:53 pm
I've never seen anything quiet like it.  lol

"Quiet" is right, because you can't make much noise that can be heard from back there.

However, there is no obligation on the part of the hometown program to help the visiting crowd be louder.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: TRH on October 04, 2018, 12:32:53 pm
lol
I'll argue with anyone that the Mansfield football team is vastly improved over last season, but you got me when it comes to the visitors seating. That's pretty much indefensible. I've never seen anything quiet like it.  lol
Ever been to Cedar Ridge. All except possible the top row or two are blocked by the players on the sidelines. And there's the bonus of the restrooms. For guys, there are only two unisex one seaters.

panther07

Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 05, 2018, 12:25:00 pm
Ever been to Cedar Ridge. All except possible the top row or two are blocked by the players on the sidelines. And there's the bonus of the restrooms. For guys, there are only two unisex one seaters.

Good thing. I'm not big on two seater toilets.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: panther07 on October 05, 2018, 12:36:21 pm
Good thing. I'm not big on two seater toilets.
Especially unisex two-seaters?

TRH

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on October 05, 2018, 10:43:22 am
"Quiet" is right, because you can't make much noise that can be heard from back there.

Oops, quite.

However, there is no obligation on the part of the hometown program to help the visiting crowd be louder.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas