• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ceader Ridge @ Clinton

Started by ESPNAnalyst44, September 29, 2018, 09:49:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ESPNAnalyst44

Clinton finally comes back home after a 3 game stretch away. Amos went 9/12 for 100 yards in the air. Clinton was still able to establish a ground game against a tough Melbourne defensive line, Davidson ran the ball for 128 yards on 15 carries. The fullback bowman was also able to gain substantial yardage on 20 carries for 123 yards. Davidson also lead the defense with 9 tackles to his name. The Yellow Jackets were able to come up with 3 sacks against a pass heavy offense, while also struggling a little bit in the secondary. Nonetheless Clinton should have no problem handling Ceader Ridge, but still need some work before playoff time.

oasistrader

Mercy rule-count on it .Clinton's second string gets lots of playing time.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: oasistrader on September 29, 2018, 11:01:24 am
Mercy rule-count on it .Clinton's second string gets lots of playing time.
+1

Even Marshall beat the Timberwolves by three touchdowns. At Newark. The clock definitely runs by halftime.

Pastor_Hog

Cedar Ridge has forfeited the game. Jackets advance to 6-0 on the season.

panther07

Cedar has forfeited the season from what i can understand.  Still really frustrating that it's hard to fill a schedule in 3A football. 

RunninJoe

Cedar Ridge has imploded from what I've seen on social media. Four seniors quit after a contentious meeting with the principal. I guess most of the other players quit after that. The school has a lot of drama and it's bled over into football. It's sad for kids who truly love the game.

beach bum

Yikes with Rose Bud tapping out and now CR this means the winner of Yellville and Marshall makes the playoffs!

Leo Marvin

Quote from: RunninJoe on October 03, 2018, 10:04:26 pm
Cedar Ridge has imploded from what I've seen on social media. Four seniors quit after a contentious meeting with the principal. I guess most of the other players quit after that. The school has a lot of drama and it's bled over into football. It's sad for kids who truly love the game.

It sounds like an unfortunate circumstance.  I hope this does not kill the program. 

AverageJo24

Lots of drama going on over there in New Ark from what I hear. I hope that they can get it figured out before next year. Hate it for the kids, but from my understanding it isn't just a football issue over there. It's an administration issue as well.

beach bum

Quote from: AverageJo24 on October 04, 2018, 09:09:42 am
Lots of drama going on over there in New Ark from what I hear. I hope that they can get it figured out before next year. Hate it for the kids, but from my understanding it isn't just a football issue over there. It's an administration issue as well.

If its an administration issue then I am glad they are challenging them... Good and honest leaders deserve to be followed.... Poor leaders deserve to be challenged. Respect is earned and should not be given simply because of a title if the leadership is poor.

KOJACK

Sad that a team that has won 19 games in the previous 3 seasons (not great but definitely respectable) has to cancel the season...

beach bum

Quote from: KOJACK on October 04, 2018, 10:56:09 am
Sad that a team that has won 19 games in the previous 3 seasons (not great but definitely respectable) has to cancel the season...

That certainly is the shocking part.... For a program with no history that is a pretty decent run. Like you said not world beaters, but there are a lot of struggling programs who would take that.

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: beach bum on October 03, 2018, 10:09:21 pm
Yikes with Rose Bud tapping out and now CR this means the winner of Yellville and Marshall makes the playoffs!

Literally the most depressing statement ever made on fearless friday.

ClutchFactor62

Quote from: ESPNAnalyst44 on September 29, 2018, 09:49:49 am
Clinton finally comes back home after a 3 game stretch away. Amos went 9/12 for 100 yards in the air. Clinton was still able to establish a ground game against a tough Melbourne defensive line, Davidson ran the ball for 128 yards on 15 carries. The fullback bowman was also able to gain substantial yardage on 20 carries for 123 yards. Davidson also lead the defense with 9 tackles to his name. The Yellow Jackets were able to come up with 3 sacks against a pass heavy offense, while also struggling a little bit in the secondary. Nonetheless Clinton should have no problem handling Ceader Ridge, but still need some work before playoff time.

What needs to be changed in order for these smaller schools to still be able to compete in football? Is there just overall lost interest in the sport? Or does participation during the summer kill the numbers? It seems like numbers are down across the board, and not only in 2A or 3A.

beach bum

Quote from: ClutchFactor62 on October 04, 2018, 11:32:53 am
What needs to be changed in order for these smaller schools to still be able to compete in football? Is there just overall lost interest in the sport? Or does participation during the summer kill the numbers? It seems like numbers are down across the board, and not only in 2A or 3A.

I think all these points are valid and good. I am worried as what football will become in the next 2 decades. It will be fine in those towns with good tradition and the largest classifications. Like you said 2A and 3A is suffering in its programs with little winning tradition and community morale. I think this problem will bleed into the 4A classification in 5 to 8 years which is crazy. I think in a little less than a decade we will start seeing struggling 4A programs with low to mid 20's roster totals become normal.

KOJACK

Quote from: ClutchFactor62 on October 04, 2018, 11:32:53 am
I think it is a little bit of both. It takes true commitment to play high school football nowadays. Imo no one should be allowed to start before the 4th of July. It is crazy that football starts in May now.

TruthHurts

Already seeing it in 4A. Cave City, Trumann, Highland all with low numbers.

beach bum

Quote from: TruthHurts on October 04, 2018, 11:45:44 am
Already seeing it in 4A. Cave City, Trumann, Highland all with low numbers.

It will send shock waves the first time a 4A school has to fold a season cause of low numbers.... It will happen soon if that is the case.

AverageJo24

This isn't just a low numbers thing. The numbers were fine at Cedar Ridge a year ago (yes they did graduate a bunch of guys), and then there was a coaching change in addition to a bunch of drama going on over there which has caused guys to quit or not come out at all. Do I agree there is an issue with low numbers across the state in these smaller schools? absolutely. But I believe this is a different situation, and its not just guys not wanting to play football. 

mike27

I think part of the problem today is that there are too many small schools. There are 5 schools within twenty miles of my home, which is in north central Arkansas. Where I grew up near Sheridan AR, we drove twenty miles to school every day. In my opinion, the state needs to combine some of these small schools. The athletics would be more competitive and it would save us taxpayers some of our hard earned money. Just my opinion.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: mike27 on October 04, 2018, 11:54:32 am
I think part of the problem today is that there are too many small schools. There are 5 schools within twenty miles of my home, which is in north central Arkansas. Where I grew up near Sheridan AR, we drove twenty miles to school every day. In my opinion, the state needs to combine some of these small schools. The athletics would be more competitive and it would save us taxpayers some of our hard earned money. Just my opinion.
G-G-G-G! That's the sound of people choking all over the state at the audacity of someone suggesting that their schools should consolidate. Don't you know it would destroy small communities to take away their schools?

beach bum

October 04, 2018, 01:01:01 pm #21 Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:05:11 pm by beach bum
Quote from: mike27 on October 04, 2018, 11:54:32 am

This will anger most on here, but I totally agree. Where I grew up in Washington County you could easily have Prairie Grove and Farmington be the same school. They are barely over 5 miles apart and it is only 5 miles to Lincoln's high school to from Prairie Grove. Those aren't even that small of schools either. Plus, Farmington's district is so small area wise that it could combine with either Prairie Grove or Fayetteville so easily. Same goes for Benton County. I am sorry, but Decatur needs to go away and merge with Gentry & Gravette to shrink it from 3 to 2 schools on that Hwy 59 corridor.

AmSycho

October 04, 2018, 01:24:58 pm #22 Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:26:44 pm by AmSycho
Quote from: we_hate_the_band on October 04, 2018, 11:14:50 am

Literally the most depressing statement ever made on fearless friday.
Quote from: we_hate_the_band on October 04, 2018, 11:14:50 am

Quote from: beach bum on October 03, 2018, 10:09:21 pm

Oh Lordy.

bbfan89

I am a educator who loves sports. That being said, emphasis on athletics is ruining the culture at many schools. Practicing two hours before school in the morning, on Sundays, and all summer are burning out the kids. In many schools the student body could care less about supporting athletics because they feel that is all the administrators, most of whom are former coaches care about.  Academics the arts and most other  activities are just an after thought. As far as school size, it make no financial sense to have two or three schools within five miles of each other, and it is crazy to have classes that only have three or four students in classes such as chemistry. The emphasis in schools should be on every student and academics and also letting kids who participate in sports have a life. 

oasistrader

October 04, 2018, 11:29:51 pm #24 Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 12:58:21 am by oasistrader
According to Channel 7 news tonight at 10:00pm,bullying was the main issue-several football players were accused of bullying,which, after being confronted by the school's administration they denied,then quit,and others followed.

beach bum

Quote from: oasistrader on October 04, 2018, 11:29:51 pm
According to Channel 7 news tonight at 10:00pm,bullying was the main issue-several football players were accused of bullying,which, after being confronted by the school's administration they denied,then quit,and others followed.

Well then.... Not a good look whether true or not. Lot's of uneeded drama.

ESPNAnalyst44

On Beach Bums note small schools in Van Buren county like South Side Bee Branch and Shirley could easily be combined with Clinton. They are in very close proximity and bus routes practically go to those places already. Clinton already swallowed up Scotland and Alred schools districts in similar situations. Won't be very many years till the same thing happens. Clinton's enrollment will be right there with 5a schools at that point.

HorseFeathers

Can't quote cause I'm on the app....but Marshall/Yellville winner making playoffs is almost as depressing as when 0-10 Gillette made the playoffs 10 years ago due to half their conference consolidating...or 0-10 6a schools making state playoffs due to participation ribbons..

CoolBreeze

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 05, 2018, 02:42:54 pm
Can't quote cause I'm on the app....but Marshall/Yellville winner making playoffs is almost as depressing as when 0-10 Gillette made the playoffs 10 years ago due to half their conference consolidating...or 0-10 6a schools making state playoffs due to participation ribbons..
I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but there's a fair chance that one of them would have made the playoff's if both RB and CR had stayed in. After all, Marshall already beat CR by three touchdowns. RB might not have been any better.

friscokid

Cedar Ridge itself is a product of consolidation: Newark, Oil Trough and Cord-Charlotte.

I remember back in the 80s Newark got all that power plant money and decided they were going to form a powerhouse team. Got in trouble recruiting some stud from Texas and that was that for football until the consolidation.

FBGFDRUM

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas