• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maybe AAA should shorten the playoff system in 3A

Started by FNLsupporter, October 24, 2016, 11:56:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FNLsupporter

I just listened to the RPS podcast for week 8.  So apparently, the past 31 state champions in 3A has been ranked in the top four in weeks 4 and 5.  He gave some explanation as to why they may not be ranked in the latter weeks of the season, but I really didn't follow that very well. LOL! That would be Charleston, Prescott, Glen Rose, or Junction City.  Sounds like to me we are just prolonging the inevitable, so why not just go ahead and have the semifinal games between these 4 and then play a championship game.  As bad as I hate to admit it, I feel like the system is right! Any of the 4 should win it, and probably will! I'm gonna hold out hope that BK can change history, but the odds are greatly stacked against them it seems.

thedirtye

I believe that it should be the top 3 teams of each conference or maybe just the top 2

2010Tigerhaz-been

1) Good teams get high rankings. Good teams also win championships. This isn't news

2) high school football is the best. why in the heck would you shorten the duration you get to play/watch it?

3)miracles to happen from time to time

Headhunter15

Top 3 from each conference would make for better games. Especially when you have a 5 seed driving up north 5+ hours with everyone knowing the outcome in reality is just dumb. At least do neutral sites or something

Lineman

Quote from: thedirtye on October 25, 2016, 01:23:14 am
I believe that it should be the top 3 teams of each conference or maybe just the top 2
Years ago it was just the top 2.

Outlawfreak

If AAA done that you would have to float down highway 8 in a canoe because of all the tears from the center point fans lol

nastynice

One reason and one reason only.            COLD HARD CASH!
I think it should be top 3 only. Quit rewarding kids and schools for Luke warm performance!!
It gives them a false sense of achievement!

Jimbo Morphis

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Headhunter15 on October 25, 2016, 02:56:15 am
Top 3 from each conference would make for better games. Especially when you have a 5 seed driving up north 5+ hours with everyone knowing the outcome in reality is just dumb. At least do neutral sites or something
Winner

Ned_Flanders

AAA is ran by Puff Daddy. (Aka) P Diddy.

It's all about the Benjamin's

Longfellow

Quote from: Ned_Flanders on October 25, 2016, 07:53:57 am
AAA is ran by Puff Daddy. (Aka) P Diddy.

It's all about the Benjamin's
Chairman Randy Moss? Straight cash homie

FNLsupporter

Quote from: 2010Tigerhaz-been on October 25, 2016, 01:25:04 am
1) Good teams get high rankings. Good teams also win championships. This isn't news

2) high school football is the best. why in the heck would you shorten the duration you get to play/watch it?

3)miracles to happen from time to time
I agree with everything.  Just to be honest, I love watching high school football, some of the very heavily mismatched games can be tough to watch though!  The post was actually meant half hearted, but I do think maybe top 2 or 3 seeds from each conference would make for better earlier matchups.

purpleswag

Quote from: FNLsupporter on October 25, 2016, 10:09:44 am
I agree with everything.  Just to be honest, I love watching high school football, some of the very heavily mismatched games can be tough to watch though!  The post was actually meant half hearted, but I do think maybe top 2 or 3 seeds from each conference would make for better earlier matchups.

Im in favor of any solution that would eliminate bye weeks.

Truthfully

The issue is strictly a money maker for the Ark Activities Assoc in Little Rock, governed by school officials ultimately. Usually AAA recommendations sail through policy discussions.  I can see top 3 because some teams improve as season goes on, but a #4 or #5 from a conference is usually a loss in the playoffs, so you are just adding a LOSS to the W-L record. Many coaches sitting on 5-5 and being #5 in their conference will tell you they do not want a 5-6 record for the sake of pacifying the AAA playoff system and drawing in gate receipts.  A 2 team contribution to the playoffs from a conference sure leaves out a LOT of very good #3 rated teams around the state.  Let the #4 and 5 start their basketball seasons! LOL
Truthfully...    ;)

purpleswag

Quote from: Truthfully on October 25, 2016, 10:16:25 am
The issue is strictly a money maker for the Ark Activities Assoc in Little Rock, governed by school officials ultimately. Usually AAA recommendations sail through policy discussions.  I can see top 3 because some teams improve as season goes on, but a #4 or #5 from a conference is usually a loss in the playoffs, so you are just adding a LOSS to the W-L record. Many coaches sitting on 5-5 and being #5 in their conference will tell you they do not want a 5-6 record for the sake of pacifying the AAA playoff system and drawing in gate receipts.  A 2 team contribution to the playoffs from a conference sure leaves out a LOT of very good #3 rated teams around the state.  Let the #4 and 5 start their basketball seasons! LOL
Truthfully...    ;)

The coaches are probably not interested in going to get their teams brains beat in either

Truthfully

So true purpleswag... Sure makes the basketball coaches worried to see 2-3 good players coming on board for basketball and hope no injuries during that last game.. In my mind, the AAA needs to rethink some issues and/or the Superintendents on the Board need to buckle up and do what's right, like saving bus gas, long dangerous late night bus rides home and leaving school late morning to get the tired players to a game 200 or more miles away. Got to feed the coaches and players going and coming too!

Not to mention, just how many fans can leave work early and drive 200+ miles to catch a 7:30 PM game?
JMHO again...
T

Head Lion

We made the playoffs as a #5 last year and our reward was a 6.5 hour bus trip to Smackover for lack of a better term a good ole whippin. Even though I was extremely proud of our kids for being the first team to make the playoffs, it is watered down. Two or three teams at the very most from each conference is plenty. Let us really starting thinking about the kids bodies, their school work, the parents pocketbook. It is all about lining the pockets of the all mighty AAA.

AlumniLights

Let me hit y'all with some knowledge...no matter what they do with the playoff system....Mt.View will win it all...just ask Jeffy. Thanks for playing. 8)

FNLsupporter

I'm on the same thought as most everyone else.  Football is a different animal that some other sports.  Most teams are not gonna get things rolling in the playoffs as a 4 or 5 seed. Do I wish for a senior's season to be over, not really. But the ultimate decision for allowing more teams will always boil down to AAA dollars! Almost everything always comes down to $ and this is no different.

Bwana

Quote from: Oldman on October 25, 2016, 07:50:05 am
I remember when it was 1.
I remember those days and ties were settled by Coaches meeting (usually at a Café) half way and flipping a coin.. Playoff games were played on College fields around the State.. Early 70's..

Danold Dump

Top 2 teams in each conference.  Lets make the conference schedule mean something.  Today, everyone gets a trophy....dump out

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Bwana on October 25, 2016, 12:42:39 pm
I remember those days and ties were settled by Coaches meeting (usually at a Café) half way and flipping a coin.. Playoff games were played on College fields around the State.. Early 70's..
Seems like for several years Mcgehee and Hamburg played the last game of the year with the winner going to the playoffs.

Bwana

Quote from: Oldman on October 25, 2016, 12:52:18 pm
Seems like for several years Mcgehee and Hamburg played the last game of the year with the winner going to the playoffs.
Yeah a team could go 9-1 or 8-2 and not make the playoffs.. You had to bring it every week and sleep on no one..

WPWells

Here's an idea: top four teams from each conference make it for a total of 24 teams. Each conference champion gets a first-round bye as well as two second-place teams per year.

Jabali

October 25, 2016, 01:34:03 pm #24 Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:41:14 pm by Jabali
Every two years only have 4 classifications, sort of shuffle the deck. Let the schools that are always the smallest or largest in their classification learn how everyone else lives. Those years let top 4 in playoffs, years with 7 classifications less. Neutral sight double headers played on Saturday evenings would be cool also.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Jabali on October 25, 2016, 01:34:03 pm
Every two years only have 4 classifications, sort of shuffle the deck. Let the schools that are always the smallest or largest in their classification learn how everyone else lives. Those years let top 4 in playoffs, years with 7 classifications less. Neutral sight double headers played on Saturday evenings would be cool also.
Overthink much?

Jabali

Quote from: Oldman on October 25, 2016, 01:43:54 pm
Overthink much?
You no likey? Sorry, just taking a gander at it from a different angle.

nastynice

Quote from: Fred Bird on October 25, 2016, 01:01:40 pm
Here's an idea: top four teams from each conference make it for a total of 24 teams. Each conference champion gets a first-round bye as well as two second-place teams per year.
Byes are part of the problem to me.

Ned_Flanders

WPWells

Quote from: nastynice on October 25, 2016, 01:55:25 pm
Byes are part of the problem to me.

Well with 6 conferences your issue will be a number of teams that isn't a power of 2

Jimbo Morphis

Ned_Flanders

YC

I have not read this entire thread so this may have already been discussed.

IMO there are two ways this could be improved greatly.

First go to 4 teams from each conference. There would still be some problems (byes) and it would mean less playoff games so the AAA would never go for it. I would prefer to go two two teams from each conference but I don't think even the AD'S would approve that.

Second and the most logical imo, is to go to eight six team conferences with four from each conference qualifying for the playoffs. That would do away with the bye's and I really don't see a problem with being able to schedule nonconference games. Play the 1st two rounds as regional's (two conferences close to each other mileage wise). There would end up being more games played than in the present setup thus more money for the AAA.   

CoolBreeze

I agree that too many teams make the playoffs each year, most of the lower ranked ones to become cannon fodder for one of the top teams. Can you spell mercy rule?

However, neither taking 2 nor 3 teams from each conference would work well with the current conference setup. Taking 2 each would yield 12 teams, which would require 4 byes. Taking 3 would result in 18 teams which would essentially require 14 byes. You could call it 2 play-in games, but it would amount to the same thing.

However, if the teams were reorganized into 8 conferences, and 2 teams taken from each, you would have 16 teams a perfect fit for a bracket.

Or, if you had 5 conferences and took 3 each, you'd need only 1 bye.

strongandsteady

Could it be like the College playoff and take the top 4 and have the 4th seed play the 1st seed and 2nd play the 3rd or would they lose too much money

Bwana

I hate to throw a wrench into all these wonderful ideas (there are several good ones) but what do you do when you have a team as dominant as say Mt. View, where everyone knows their playing for second place?? Cancel the playoffs or go ahead and play them for hoots and giggles??

hsindian

Quote from: Bwana on October 25, 2016, 04:28:11 pm
I hate to throw a wrench into all these wonderful ideas (there are several good ones) but what do you do when you have a team as dominant as say Mt. View, where everyone knows their playing for second place?? Cancel the playoffs or go ahead and play them for hoots and giggles??
In those cases you move them into a playoff with the private schools. Make it 7 private plus mtn view.

KOJACK

Bwana

Quote from: hsindian on October 25, 2016, 05:29:59 pm
In those cases you move them into a playoff with the private schools. Make it 7 private plus mtn view.
;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas