• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

playoff bye

Started by bootlegger, October 22, 2016, 05:50:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bootlegger

how do they determine who gets the bye in the playoffs.it seems that some conferences get the bye more often than others.

RabidWolf

I believe it rotates each year.

HorseFeathers

RabidWolf

But it does seem like the 1 is at the top a whole lot!

Headhunter15

Can't remember a time where the 6 had a bye first round

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Headhunter15 on October 22, 2016, 06:26:20 pm
Can't remember a time where the 6 had a bye first round

2years ago?

bootlegger

if i read the max preps brackets right ,since 2010 the 4 conference has had the bye 5 out of the last 7 years.but it is possible that i looked at it wrong

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bootlegger on October 22, 2016, 06:56:35 pm
if i read the max preps brackets right ,since 2010 the 4 conference has had the bye 5 out of the last 7 years.but it is possible that i looked at it wrong

Sounds right

Cupkake24

When's the last time the 3A-5 has had a bye? Anyone know?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Cupkake24 on October 23, 2016, 12:54:19 am
When's the last time the 3A-5 has had a bye? Anyone know?

Glen Rose in 2013.

Paperman

flow51

Honestly I would rather not have the "bye". I would rather handle my business during the regular season and get my injuries rest. Then come playoff time you should still be firing on all cyclinders. Just my opinion though. I can see both sides.

CoolBreeze

IMO the most important part about getting the bye is that you are at the top of the bracket, which means you get to play at home all the way through the semis.

biglion1985

When is the last time the 3a3 got the first round bye?

Proud Buckaroo

October 23, 2016, 03:36:58 pm #14 Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:38:40 pm by Proud Buckaroo
Quote from: biglion1985 on October 23, 2016, 03:04:56 pm
When is the last time the 3a3 got the first round bye?

2011. Earle.

I remember this because Earle brought their whole team to Smackover when we played Lincoln @ home.

Curleywolf Fan

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 23, 2016, 03:36:58 pm
2011. Earle.

I remember this because Earle brought their whole team to Smackover when we played Lincoln @ home.
Earle had a good team that year. They were undefeated when Prescott went to Earle in the 3rd round of the playoffs and We beat them.

srcranch

I don't understand how bye's are determined but I think it should be rotated evenly!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: srcranch on October 23, 2016, 04:41:05 pm
I don't understand how bye's are determined but I think it should be rotated evenly!

Should be, but isnt

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: srcranch on October 23, 2016, 04:41:05 pm

They just draw numbers out of a hat and majority of the time 3A-4 is the winner. Lol.

thedirtye

To me it seems when conferences get realigned...Prescott's conference doesn't get a bye

strongandsteady

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on October 23, 2016, 04:55:10 pm
They just draw numbers out of a hat and majority of the time 3A-4 is the winner. Lol.
Maybe a couple extra 3A-4 slipped in the hat ;D

dragondad

You'd think it would be easy,

1 and 4 bye
2 and 5 bye
3 and 6 bye
Repeat

Guess that makes to much sense

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dragondad on October 25, 2016, 10:22:41 am
You'd think it would be easy,

1 and 4 bye
2 and 5 bye
3 and 6 bye
Repeat

Guess that makes to much sense

Just have a set bracket for each set of byes and go with it...

I remember in 2a it used to be
4 vs 1
2 vs 3
5 vs 6
7E vs 7W

Every year....

Ned_Flanders

Or just send everyone to the playoffs then there are no byes.  And AAA just makes more $.   Welcome to America (where everyone is a winner)

CoolBreeze

If you have the same conferences play each other in the playoffs each year, whoever got stuck opposite Charleston would have little chance to make it to the Rock, even if they have the 2nd best team in the state. That just doesn't seem fair to me.

Better to have set up a rotation in which each conference gets a bye every third year but the opposition changes as well. That way no one is shut out of the championship game by being opposite a dominant team or conference every year.

dragondad

October 25, 2016, 06:00:36 pm #25 Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:15:31 pm by dragondad
Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 25, 2016, 03:43:12 pm
If you have the same conferences play each other in the playoffs each year, whoever got stuck opposite Charleston would have little chance to make it to the Rock, even if they have the 2nd best team in the state. That just doesn't seem fair to me.

Better to have set up a rotation in which each conference gets a bye every third year but the opposition changes as well. That way no one is shut out of the championship game by being opposite a dominant team or conference every year.

Which is why it should be

Year 1 -  1 and 4 bye - Bracket A
Year 2 -   2 and 5 bye - Bracket B
Year 3 -   3 and 6 bye - Bracket C
Repeat

Again,  it's pretty simple but that's probably the problem....it's to simple.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas