• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Teams playing the playoff bracket

Started by Bwana, October 22, 2016, 11:54:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bwana

As the playoff picture makes itself a little clearer do you think some teams at this point may play off when going in as a 4 seed gives them a better shot than going in as a 3 seed or any other seed for that matter?? Should the playoff brackets be released maybe the day after the last game?? Just curious for others thoughts on the matter..

Boomer

I might be way off base here but I don't know how a coach could do that.Tell your 16-18 year old players to not try to win. But crazier things have happened.... If they were to release the bracket late however I feel there would be many calling for biased decisions once it was released, but that's the way the world works lol

Headhunter15

3rd from 6 if they win gets a date with Charleston. 4th from the 6 gets a date with glen rose. 5th from the 6 gets a date with Prescott. How nice  ::)

Captain Oblivion

Quote from: Headhunter15 on October 22, 2016, 12:53:43 pm
3rd from 6 if they win gets a date with Charleston. 4th from the 6 gets a date with glen rose. 5th from the 6 gets a date with Prescott. How nice  ::)
Bad thing is that the 4 and 5 from the 6-3A are probably the best 4 and 5 seed in the bracket...if not the best then the second best behind the 5-3A.

beach bum

October 22, 2016, 01:52:28 pm #4 Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:57:04 pm by beach bum
If someone is intentionally losing for the 4 seed the coach should be suspended a game by the AAA..... No 4 seed is ever going on to win the state title so go out and win the stinking game for the kids sake. What you are telling your kids when you purposely lose is they are automatically not good enough for a certain opponent they may face in the playoffs and to be scared of opponents. That is the reason some programs never escape the doormat is that attitude right there. Kids should never be scared of an opponent no matter how much better the other team may be. They are all 15-18 year old kids at the end of the day. I just can't see a coach doing this ever.

OLDSCHOOL82

You can't release it late except to the public.  Schools approve the brackets so they know a couple years in advance.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on October 22, 2016, 01:52:28 pm
If someone is intentionally losing for the 4 seed the coach should be suspended a game by the AAA..... No 4 seed is ever going on to win the state title so go out and win the stinking game for the kids sake. What you are telling your kids when you purposely lose is they are automatically not good enough for a certain opponent they may face in the playoffs and to be scared of opponents. That is the reason some programs never escape the doormat is that attitude right there. Kids should never be scared of an opponent no matter how much better the other team may be. They are all 15-18 year old kids at the end of the day. I just can't see a coach doing this ever.

No 4 seed? 2006 Ft Smith Southside would like a word with you sir

beach bum

October 22, 2016, 05:48:54 pm #7 Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:57:42 pm by beach bum
Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 22, 2016, 04:00:05 pm
No 4 seed? 2006 Ft Smith Southside would like a word with you sir

I see your point, but also that is a little different when that is a 4 seed out of 2 conferences in an entire class like 7A and when the 7A West started that year with the new class system starting in 2006 the West started its reign against the Central so pretty much Southside was probably a top 4 team in the whole 7A then. In the smaller classes being a 4 seed out of 6 conferences on average means you are probably a 15-25 ranked team out of 48 teams. But you did get me there on my point! Didn't the beat Rogers who was undefeated before that title game?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on October 22, 2016, 05:48:54 pm
I see your point, but also that is a little different when that is a 4 seed out of 2 conferences in an entire class like 7A and when the 7A West started that year with the new class system starting in 2006 the West started its reign against the Central so pretty much Southside was probably a top 4 team in the whole 7A then. In the smaller classes being a 4 seed out of 6 conferences on average means you are probably a 15-25 ranked team out of 48 teams. But you did get me there on my point! Didn't the beat Rogers who was undefeated before that title game?

Beat Rogers who had best them earlier that year....strong was a 3 seed in 2011 I believe...it's unlikely but has happened

Pokey03

Solution to the problem would be wait until Week 10 games are played before the brackets are released.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Pokey03 on November 05, 2016, 12:56:13 pm
Solution to the problem would be wait until Week 10 games are played before the brackets are released.
Is there a downside to that?

The only one I can see is that teams that play on Thursday get a chance to view likely competition that plays on Friday that last week and visa versa.

Bwana

Release the brackets midnight Friday after the last games are played.. I don't see any reason why the schools would have to approve the brackets ahead of time..

Skip Baymore

I say have a pre-determined bracket that is top secret.  You would blind fold the visiting/travelling team as they boarded the bus each time and the home team would have no idea who was coming either.  Do this all the way through the semis.  This would take the fun to an all new level.  As far as preparing for a specific team - forget about it.  Teams  just dance with the girl who brung them. 

Longfellow

Quote from: Skip Baymore on November 05, 2016, 11:39:52 pm
I say have a pre-determined bracket that is top secret.  You would blind fold the visiting/travelling team as they boarded the bus each time and the home team would have no idea who was coming either.  Do this all the way through the semis.  This would take the fun to an all new level.  As far as preparing for a specific team - forget about it.  Teams  just dance with the girl who brung them.
Sounds like organized chaos. I like it

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas