• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Endorsement

Started by Justafan42, March 19, 2008, 10:41:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

parpar

philgoodallday

philgoodallday

Russ PhD

QuoteIf a teacher graduated with a social studies degree but passes the english praxis II they can immediatly add that to their license.  Why don't they have to go back to school and take 27 hours of coursework?

This is what drives me crazy about teaching certification in general.  I have a B.A. in physics, M.S. in health physics, and a Ph.D. in nuclear engineering, but somehow the state of AR doesn't believe that qualifies me to teach high school science and math (not that I want to do that).  I would have to go take about 30 hours of education classes or be granted some sort of probationary status while finishing the classwork.

However, I am perfectly qualified to teach college physics and engineering classes.  Someone please explain this to me. 

philgoodallday

You can do non-traditional licensure.

blue4hire

Quote from: Russ PhD on September 05, 2008, 01:37:48 pm
QuoteIf a teacher graduated with a social studies degree but passes the english praxis II they can immediatly add that to their license.  Why don't they have to go back to school and take 27 hours of coursework?

This is what drives me crazy about teaching certification in general.  I have a B.A. in physics, M.S. in health physics, and a Ph.D. in nuclear engineering, but somehow the state of AR doesn't believe that qualifies me to teach high school science and math (not that I want to do that).  I would have to go take about 30 hours of education classes or be granted some sort of probationary status while finishing the classwork.

However, I am perfectly qualified to teach college physics and engineering classes.  Someone please explain this to me. 

You are over qualified to teach according to the pedagogy.  The reason you can't just walk into a classroom is because of the classroom management, special ed, diverse learning strategies etc..

With that being said, I am non-traditionally licensed and there is no way to prepare anyone for all of that.  The only way to do is through experience.

Russ PhD

Let's be clear.  I don't want to be a high school teacher.  I am doing perfectly happy with the full-time engineering job and part time professor thing. What I find intriguing is that when I "retire" and would like to train young scientist and mathematicians at a discount (for me) rate, I would have to jump through MANY hoops to get a high school that struggles to find math/science teachers to hire me.  That doesn't make any sense to me...

...UNLESS I think about teachers unions and job protection, etc. 

My two cents on the coaching endorsement is that it is a silly requirement.  I think that if a head coach wants to spend the time with a teacher to bring them up to speed to coach on his staff, he should be able to do that.  I also think the CPR and first aid certs are much more important than the list of things in the coaching endorsement class.

Interesting topic anyway

walterpayton

How do you know how to teach the course if you have had no training in the "teaching" part?  That is like saying every college or pro football player coach be a coach... you have to learn to be a teacher and that is why all the education courses on teaching. 

Quote from: Russ PhD on September 05, 2008, 01:37:48 pm

bdog33

I am going to say the coaching endorsement is a waste of time.  I am currently enrolled in the classes, but they have no reference on how to be a coach.  I do have a BSE and do agree that it is tough to step into a classroom with out having the proper training, I think you do need the education classes, but not the coaching endorsement. 

Cambodian Midget

Any updated news on the endorsement?  When are we going to see the requirements/when are the classes going to become available.

parpar

Question -

Do you have to have an ADE phys ed endorsement to coach?  Can you have an english certification, then the proper coaching endorsements, and have students assigned to you in an athletic period?

philgoodallday

I have an English BSE and coaching endorsement.  You can have a sport-specific class, but not a PE class based on frameworks.

topone

When is the AAA going to crack down on the unlicensed coaches on the sidelines and court?  There are still a lot of coaches who are head or assistants that aren't certified with a teaching certificate or proper coaching endorsement...

R. A.™

Quote from: topone on October 19, 2008, 08:01:03 am
When is the AAA going to crack down on the unlicensed coaches on the sidelines and court?  There are still a lot of coaches who are head or assistants that aren't certified with a teaching certificate or proper coaching endorsement...

like who

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas