• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Any other First Year Fans out there?

Started by JackSmack, September 04, 2007, 10:45:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSmack

I was wondering if I might be alone out there in the new world of college football.  Seems I had more to write about last year with my- dog-in-the-fight Senior and this year there just isn't much to write about.  I sure miss seeing number 71 on the field on Friday nights, but seeing 91 on Saturdays isn't a bad thing.  At least he is on the field and enjoying immensely his freshman year in college.  I remember playing college baseball in front of both fans who came to watch the games and I knew I couldn't let the lack of a crowd de-motivate me.  I remember saying that there are only a few reasons athletes play college ball: 1) It pays for their college tuition, 2) they plan on becoming a coach or 3) they love the game.  I had to settle for #3.  (That, and it helped me stay in shape).  So, are there any other Moms or Dads out there that going through this adjustment and how do you feel?

True Fan

It's a different world. My girl blew out her ACL just into the basketball season last year. She was a great point guard in every sense. The team was 8-0 when she went down. Didn't make the playoffs without her. Too short to play college basketball, but has always excelled in softball. Missed her senior season there and college ball faded into the background. She shopped a lot of schools and decided OBU was the place she wanted to go. Academic scholarships started piling up and it looked like it might be possible. Free ride at most state schools doesn't quite cover the costs at Ouachita. But, she had made up her mind. Softball seemed to be slipping away. Out of the blue, we got a call from Coach McGhee. One of her former coaches told him that she was interested in OBU and that he'd be crazy not to get her on the team. We went for a visit and it reinforced everything she believed in. Coach McGhee talked to us about life, college, kids, and a little bit about softball. He offered her a spot on the team and she is loving it. His character sold us on him, as well as the school. She rehabbed her knee all summer and is almost ready to go. Her doctor won't release her until October 12th, so she'll miss the fall season, but that's OK. She be ready to go in the spring. I always told her to handle the academics and she could play wherever she liked. It's worked out well so far. I'll look for 91 on the field. If you see a bunch of softball girls working the concession stand, ask the short one how her knee's doing.

Another OBU Dad

JackSmack

I played alot of softball with coach McGee back in the day.  He's a great guy.  Maybe I will see the "short one" Saturday at the game...

tcockerham

I don't quite understand this post but I am a parent of a player and he plays for the tuition assistance, I think.  If it were soccer he would be playing for the fun of it!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas