• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach of the year

Started by teachers pet, January 17, 2018, 02:34:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

teachers pet

I know it's early, but at this point in the season, I would put up Jared White at Jessieville. First head coaching job, replacing a coaching great in Eddie Lamb, losing an all state player when Sawyer Lamb went with his dad to Lakeside. 14-3, 9-0 in blended conference.

4real

Jared is a good dude and inherited a situation that was not easy.  He has paid his dues.

biglion1985

I gotta be kinda biased and say I would nominate Lee Wimberley from Manila

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: biglion1985 on January 17, 2018, 07:17:14 pm

He is a standout coach in NEA, teams always competitive!!

NeaBaller21

Figure you have to throw Coach Bateman from Tuckerman in the discussion as well.

BoxNOne

No doubt about it, Bateman has to be in the discussion not only for this season but also overall. What he has done at Tuckerman is outstanding. I saw in the paper the other day that the jr high team is 20-2 as well.

baller334

Quote from: biglion1985 on January 17, 2018, 07:17:14 pm

😂😂😂😂

beach bum

I don't think he is coach of the year, but Elkins is sitting at 15-5 and 9-3 in their blended league that consists of 7 out of 10 teams as 4A schools. Elkins is just one of the 3 out of 10 schools that are 3A in that league. All things said that 3A/4A blended league is not very strong at all I will self admittedly say. All that said you have to give that coach some props for winning at a school with virtually zero basketball history. I look for them to definitely get to regionals and should at least snag a state spot I would think. Don't think they will do much there, but if they make it that would be a big accomplishment for that school in particular.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: beach bum on January 23, 2018, 12:24:32 pm
I don't think he is coach of the year, but Elkins is sitting at 15-5 and 9-3 in their blended league that consists of 7 out of 10 teams as 4A schools. Elkins is just one of the 3 out of 10 schools that are 3A in that league. All things said that 3A/4A blended league is not very strong at all I will self admittedly say. All that said you have to give that coach some props for winning at a school with virtually zero basketball history. I look for them to definitely get to regionals and should at least snag a state spot I would think. Don't think they will do much there, but if they make it that would be a big accomplishment for that school in particular.
I would think that turning a program around would be a greater recommendation, for example, than continuing to win with last year's state runner-up.

TTownfan

Quote from: BoxNOne on January 23, 2018, 09:20:02 am
No doubt about it, Bateman has to be in the discussion not only for this season but also overall. What he has done at Tuckerman is outstanding. I saw in the paper the other day that the jr high team is 20-2 as well.

Tuckerman has all the ingredients to be very very good for many years to come.

beach bum

Quote from: CoolBreeze on January 23, 2018, 12:32:24 pm
I would think that turning a program around would be a greater recommendation, for example, than continuing to win with last year's state runner-up.

Oh definitely, They're a school who virtually hasn't done a thing in its history basketball wise. I think if they end up with a 23 or 24 win season and make a semi decent postseason run we would have to say he has done one of the best coaching jobs no matter classification. Like I said following NWA I will admit the 1-4A and 1-3A teams are quite soft right now so I'll be on the wait and see approach with Elkins to see if they're still around in late February. I hope they can get to state and at least be competitive there.

biglion1985

Another name I would quite possibly throw in the mix would be coach Wilson from Osceola

501Arkansas

Quote from: biglion1985 on January 23, 2018, 09:07:42 pm
Another name I would quite possibly throw in the mix would be coach Wilson from Osceola
Yeah I was just about to post him

biglion1985

501 I give credit where it is due he has got them young men playing some ball and I said all along when gaithen retired that's who I would hire would be coach Wilson but anyhow best of luck to the Noles on the rest of the season

ISU7

Quote from: 501Arkansas on January 23, 2018, 09:20:51 pm
Yeah I was just about to post him
Exactly first year head coach his team hasn't lost to a 3A team this season.

501Arkansas

Quote from: biglion1985 on January 23, 2018, 09:42:31 pm
501 I give credit where it is due he has got them young men playing some ball and I said all along when gaithen retired that's who I would hire would be coach Wilson but anyhow best of luck to the Noles on the rest of the season
We appreciate it sir same to you guys

501Arkansas

Quote from: ISU7 on January 23, 2018, 11:07:44 pm
Exactly first year head coach his team hasn't lost to a 3A team this season.
+1

BoxNOne

Quote from: beach bum on January 23, 2018, 04:35:23 pm
Oh definitely, They're a school who virtually hasn't done a thing in its history basketball wise. I think if they end up with a 23 or 24 win season and make a semi decent postseason run we would have to say he has done one of the best coaching jobs no matter classification. Like I said following NWA I will admit the 1-4A and 1-3A teams are quite soft right now so I'll be on the wait and see approach with Elkins to see if they're still around in late February. I hope they can get to state and at least be competitive there.

Elkins had a 6'9" kid named Hankins who signed with the Hogs in the late 90's. I saw Riverside destroy that team by 30 in the first round of state.

beach bum

Quote from: BoxNOne on January 24, 2018, 11:15:54 am
Elkins had a 6'9" kid named Hankins who signed with the Hogs in the late 90's. I saw Riverside destroy that team by 30 in the first round of state.

I remember that guy vaguely.... I remember he was quite the hot head lol

501Arkansas

Seminoles are now 12-5  in Confs they are 4-0 and in the blended Confs they are 4-2. Travel to Riverside tonight for a 2nd game in 3 nights.

CTEPirateFan

Just going to throw Drew Central's Coach Watson into the mix. Every player on the roster had a part in the 60+ game win streak for the junior high squad that ended this season. Their play has transitioned well into senior high with their only loss so far this season being to Valley Springs. The team is loaded with seniors and sophomores who happened to beat every 4A team on their schedule that included a sweep of Monticello which is always a difficult team for DC to beat due to the rivalry. They even beat Pea Ridge on PR's home court. There's still McGehee on the schedule (tomorrow night being the first matchup), but if they can beat them and stay healthy watch out.

Seniors as sophomores (2015-16 record 10-12)
Juniors as sophomores with seniors as juniors (2016-17 record 21-11)
Sophomores with everyone else (2017-18 record 18-1)

Also, my dad played on the team in the early 80s and doesn't think the boys team for DC has got past the first round of state since the last championship in 1984. If they get past the first round it will be something to take note of even if they are hosting.

*Records according to Maxpreps.

beach bum

I knew Drew Central had beat Pea Ridge, but did not know the game was @ Pea Ridge. That is quite impressive...

PeedeecreekBoy99

Quote from: beach bum on January 25, 2018, 05:04:54 pm
I knew Drew Central had beat Pea Ridge, but did not know the game was @ Pea Ridge. That is quite impressive...
highschool bball man ANYOONE can win any night. thats why its so fun

beach bum

Quote from: PeedeecreekBoy99 on January 26, 2018, 09:33:35 am
highschool bball man ANYOONE can win any night. thats why its so fun

The near 5 hour bus ride to beat a 4A team with an 18-4 record at their place is why its impressive to me.... And I agree. I have seen a team lose by 39 and 3 weeks later beat the same team by 3 they had lost to by 39 earlier in the season. Hot shooting and winning the turnover battle can go a long way for a team to upset somebody on the right night.

Fatbackhawgballz

You have to look at what Bateman has done. Look at the record until last year. It's a good time to be at Tuckerman yes. Aside from that he has built a program based on discipline and a lot of times that will beat talent. Tuckerman has had a ton of talent through the years but lacked on discipline.

CTEPirateFan

Quote from: beach bum on January 26, 2018, 09:50:06 am
The near 5 hour bus ride to beat a 4A team with an 18-4 record at their place is why its impressive to me.... And I agree. I have seen a team lose by 39 and 3 weeks later beat the same team by 3 they had lost to by 39 earlier in the season. Hot shooting and winning the turnover battle can go a long way for a team to upset somebody on the right night.
*Note the PR win was in the Battle at The Ridge tournament. The bus ride was two days before, but had to beat Providence Academy (Rogers, AR) and Guy Perkins to play PR in the finals.

sizzlet2455

I've watched Jared White from Jessieville coach many times this year and he calls few plays a game. He would not have the success the has had this year without #3. Most plays, if not all are geared around him. You can't depend on outside 3's to win you ball games in good competition like state.

teachers pet

Most teams would not have success without 1 or 2 outstanding players, he followed a legendary coach and lost an allstate player, so, yeah, pretty good for a first head coaching job!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas