• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newport at McGehee

Started by owl84, November 10, 2017, 09:50:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolBreeze

Quote from: OB11 on November 13, 2017, 11:56:58 am
I know they were all non-conference games...but Gonsell would have finished as the 4 seed in the 3-3A this year. Shows you how tough that conference was.
True, Gosnell went 0-3 against the 3-3A. Since then, they've gone 8-0 against 4-A competition.

Leo Marvin

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on November 13, 2017, 11:18:36 am
They run the wing-T. Watch out for the TB. I believe #34. He'll run you over. QB is really shifty, and fast.  They don't throw it unless they are forced to. WB and RB are really good as well. They are more quick than #34. Their line isn't huge. But they aren't small by any means. If you run the ball more than you throw. They will rush 8 and keep 3 in coverage.

Thanks for the info.  Looking forward to this match up between two programs with proud histories.  I think this is the first meeting between the two.  Both seem to be playing their best at the right time of the year.

sprained ankle

Jimbo Morphis

Almost game day you Hounds scared yet?

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Oldman on November 15, 2017, 02:57:21 pm
Almost game day you Hounds scared yet?

They are quiet this week. Lol.

Jacketman65

This should be a classic between two hard nosed teams.  Will be a close hard hitting game IMO!

Paperman

Two great schools! Owls are well coached and talented! Pulling for a Nrwport win

sprained ankle

The Hounds have played  better competition in the 3-3a conference than the Owls have in theirs. You throw in the Hounds non-conference schedule plus their win over Glen Rose, I think they are the better team. Got to go with the Orange and Black. Hounds by 14.

Oldhound56

I️ see and hear that comment quiet a bit about Newport and the fact they are playing a well coached and disciplined team. I️ guess these people never watch a Greyhound game. Are they not well coached and disciplined???  They appear to be very disciplined, just played a penalty free game. They appear to be well coached, the kids are in the right place at the right time 99% of the time.  The defense is very sound and the offense is very effective   They get the ball to the players that make plays. 

Sorry for the rant, just always hear that  Newport is playing a well coached and disciplined team with the inference that the Hounds are neither. Paperman, you might not have been implying that, but I️ have heard it numerous times and I️ just don't like what it implies about their coaches and kids.

Go Hounds!!! 

whippersnapper

I think this about as even of a match up as you can find in the playoffs this week imo just from overall size and speed. It will come down to the LOS, penalties and turnovers.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: whippersnapper on November 16, 2017, 07:04:25 am
I think this about as even of a match up as you can find in the playoffs this week imo just from overall size and speed. It will come down to the LOS, penalties and turnovers.
I agree

ea cat

Looking forward to watching this game. Should be a great game for the fans.

Moose

Quote from: whippersnapper on November 16, 2017, 07:04:25 am

I don't feel like this game is a close one.  McGhee should win by 2 TD's.  That being said IF it happens to be close, the deciding factor will be special teams.

Leo Marvin

Most of the time football seasons go in cycles.  When Newport lost against Piggott and Hoxie, they were in a rough spot with injuries and probably weren't in a very good mindset.  That will not be the Greyhound team that will be  traveling to McGehee.

What Newport has to guard against is a game like Osceola.  Miscues allowed  Osceola back in the game and Newport couldn't ever get the momentum back. Most of that was because of the play of Osceola. 

I have not seen one snap of McGehee this season, so I don't know what Newport is up against.  Couldn't find anything on YouTube.  I know they have athletes and I think they will be very good.  It sounds like posters from South Arkansas think The Greyhounds are in for a long night.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Leo Marvin on November 16, 2017, 09:29:11 am
Most of the time football seasons go in cycles.  When Newport lost against Piggott and Hoxie, they were in a rough spot with injuries and probably weren't in a very good mindset.  That will not be the Greyhound team that will be  traveling to McGehee.

What Newport has to guard against is a game like Osceola.  Miscues allowed  Osceola back in the game and Newport couldn't ever get the momentum back. Most of that was because of the play of Osceola. 

I have not seen one snap of McGehee this season, so I don't know what Newport is up against.  Couldn't find anything on YouTube.  I know they have athletes and I think they will be very good.  It sounds like posters from South Arkansas think The Greyhounds are in for a long night.
I don't think so, I think it is going to be a very close game.

whippersnapper

McGehee could win by multiple TDs or 1 point, vice versa for Newport. The greyhounds wont be intimidated by the Wing T. The LBs will read their keys and do their job. Offense may have to score when they get the ball depending on how TOP is going.

870ARK

Depending on which Newport team shows up decides what the outcome of the game will be if the team that showed up against Rivercrest, and Glen Rose ill have Newport in a close one. If the team that showed up against Hoxie, Piggott, and the second half of Osceola shows up it could be horrific. Just hoping the HOUNDS can compete. Praying for an injury free game, and safe travels. GO HOUNDS!!!!!

ISU7

Quote from: 870ARK on November 16, 2017, 09:45:27 am
Depending on which Newport team shows up decides what the outcome of the game will be if the team that showed up against Rivercrest, and Glen Rose ill have Newport in a close one. If the team that showed up against Hoxie, Piggott, and the second half of Osceola shows up it could be horrific. Just hoping the HOUNDS can compete. Praying for an injury free game, and safe travels. GO HOUNDS!!!!!
Basically just the team that won need to show up😷😎

sprained ankle

Quote from: ISU7 on November 16, 2017, 10:22:45 am
Basically just the team that won need to show up😷😎
GO HOUNDS!!

Captain Oblivion

I talked to a buddy of mine down around McGehee and he said they are healthy and clicking on all cylinders at the right time. I watched Newport last week against Glen Rose and was impressed. i gotta go with my bud n this one and take Mcgehee by 17

Jimbo Morphis

All you guys have a safe trip over here tomorrow. Once you get through Pine Bluff remember the towns of Grady, then about 5 miles later is Gould. About 10 minutes south of Dumas is Tillar and Reed. Gould, Grady, and Reed are speed traps. Do the speed limit.

dragondad

Go early and eat at Hoots,  you won't regret it.

ea cat

Be doing the posted speed when you see the sign. They love getting people slowing down.

Coltfan2005

Are you talking about the speed limit sign?

ea cat

Yes. Once you are at it be doing that speed. Gould will get you for 50 in a 45 knowing you are slowing down. Grady the speed limit stays 65 because it bypasses the town. They will write you for anything over 65.

Red Devil Dad

If your going through Pine Bluff, Leon's Catfish is the best in the State.  I've heard they have really good steaks too. It's right off the interstate, don't remember the exit. 

whippersnapper

Newport turns over on downs the 18 yard line.

whippersnapper

Newport recovers a fumble on 1st down! Takes over on the 11, Brodus for a TD!

whippersnapper

Newport forces a 3 and out after a holding on 1st down by the owls. Newport goes for it on 4th down. Owls jump on 1st. 

whippersnapper

Newport is forced to punt that drive, McGehee goes for 4th down on their ensuing drive but Oshea Pruitt stops them from converting. Newport has it 1st and 10 ball on the 40.

whippersnapper

McGehee has 24 yards total offense in the 1st qtr.
Joe Brodus for newport has 11 carries for 75 yards 1 TD

whippersnapper

Greyhound defense is playing great and forces another punt. Greyhound offense keeps getting penalties. 6-0 9:25 in the 2nd qtr

Jimbo Morphis

Ugliest game I've ever seen.

Jimbo Morphis

We were not ready to play. Think we have about 15
Penalties. Gain 2 on 3rd and 12 and out player points first down.

Mike Bonds

Jimbo Morphis

whippersnapper

Leo Marvin

Refs are going to make it tough for Newport tonight

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Leo Marvin on November 17, 2017, 08:19:30 pm
Refs are going to make it tough for Newport tonight
Really? You got the penalty numbers?

whippersnapper

Newport forces another TOD on the owls opening drive for the 3rd. 1st down hounds

whippersnapper

Under 6 mins Brodus picks up another 1st down for the hounds on 3rd and 1.

whippersnapper

Owls score on a fake punt. Failed 2 point. 6-6 57 seconds left 3rd qtr

whippersnapper

14-6 Owls. 1:03 Newport has 4th and 2 in the redzone

owl84

McGehee 20
Newport 6

13.2 second 4th

whippersnapper

And pick 6 by the owls. 20-6 final

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas