• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Highland Boys- Keeping it positive

Started by boss85, October 30, 2017, 10:30:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

boss85

I guess the original thread was locked because of some negative stuff about coach Edgar. Well, let's try again. Who has some good things to say about the coach. Good only. Don't reply with anything unless you have something good to say about the man.

beach bum

boss85

Well, I said some negative things on the other post but am willing to overlook some shortcomings and give him a chance. But I was wondering if he had some support out there anywhere. Not a safe zone, but don't want the thread to be locked either.

OB11

If you don't want the thread locked, I would suggest talking about the actual team/season/school and stay away from negative personal comments about any specific individual. Sometimes talking about a coach or specific player can be interesting/fun but we all have to remind ourselves sometimes that these are high school kids we are commenting on and that the coaches put in countless hours trying to lead them. Yes, some do a better job than others and others may be downright bad at their jobs...but it is still the job they were hired for. So please, let's keep it positive.

HorseFeathers

October 31, 2017, 12:18:21 pm #4 Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:32:53 pm by HorseFeathers
Quote from: OB11 on October 31, 2017, 12:05:42 pm
If you don't want the thread locked, I would suggest talking about the actual team/season/school and stay away from negative personal comments about any specific individual. Sometimes talking about a coach or specific player can be interesting/fun but we all have to remind ourselves sometimes that these are high school kids we are commenting on and that the coaches put in countless hours trying to lead them. Yes, some do a better job than others and others may be downright bad at their jobs...but it is still the job they were hired for. So please, let's keep it positive.

I'm figuring some of these guys wouldn't appreciate anonymous comments on a forum about them at their jobs.

OB11

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 31, 2017, 12:18:21 pm
I'm figuring some of these guys wouldn't appreciate anonymous comments on a form about them at their jobs.

Exactly

Head Lion

Here goes, I have seen the field for the Ronnie Brogdon Inv tournament. It is loaded, if someone could post it.

boss85

Not sure about all the participants in the Ronnie Brogdon Classic which will be during the Christmas break. Batesville Southside, Springdale Harber, Highland maybe amother school from NWA. It's a good lineup I know with senior boys only.

Head Lion

Manila, Rivercrest & Trumann from the Delta. All 3 should have good clubs.

thebigtiger

Its really easy to get caught up in people saying this or that.  I noticed the other thread was locked.  Most parents and players these days only care about playing time and personal goals.  The goal for every school is to win and be better with what they have.  Helping kids win and be better at life is the main goal of most coaches.  I was reading on the locked thread where Gamechanger11 said Highland brass should be ashamed for this hire. Gamechanger11 should be ashamed of that post.    Highland hired a young talented coach that has brought a throwback style to Highland.  I know some people and parents want their coaches to coddle the players and everyone wins mentality.  I think that is what is wrong with the game today.  Not enough passion and drive on winning.  I know that Highland expects a lot out of their programs and they will get more than they pay for.  I still stand behind the hire and look forward to the season.  Good luck to all 

SackAttack

Quote from: thebigtiger on November 03, 2017, 08:46:07 am
Its really easy to get caught up in people saying this or that.  I noticed the other thread was locked.  Most parents and players these days only care about playing time and personal goals.  The goal for every school is to win and be better with what they have.  Helping kids win and be better at life is the main goal of most coaches.  I was reading on the locked thread where Gamechanger11 said Highland brass should be ashamed for this hire. Gamechanger11 should be ashamed of that post.    Highland hired a young talented coach that has brought a throwback style to Highland.  I know some people and parents want their coaches to coddle the players and everyone wins mentality.  I think that is what is wrong with the game today.  Not enough passion and drive on winning.  I know that Highland expects a lot out of their programs and they will get more than they pay for.  I still stand behind the hire and look forward to the season.  Good luck to all
Great post and oh so true! With the mistakes that were made in the past any mistakes should be approached with a sense of self reflection and a commitment to improvement if one feels improvement is necessary! If one doesn't feel mistakes were made or a change in approach is necessary then that person will continue to make the same mistakes over and over again thereby causing further alienation and erosion of support in times when support is needed. New situations call for changes and coaches should be allowed to make those changes at will and make tough calls are the rule of the day. Stand up for yourself and put things right for the betterment of the program! Stamp it! Own it! Be it!

brock

boss85

Quote from: thebigtiger on November 03, 2017, 08:46:07 am
A couple of things:  Highland should not be ashamed of the hire. It may be a mistake, but mistakes are sometimes made and they can be corrected. Either correct the behavior or remove him from his position. I'm not saying the hire is a mistake, just saying it is nothing to be ashamed of if it is. They should be ashamed if they let the mistake get worse by standing by and not admitting to the mistake.  Next, what "throwback style" are you referring to?  No game has been played. No one has seen anything looking "throwback". What do you know that no one else has seen?

brock

Where did Cude end up? You can't tell me he isn't a better hire then this eggar guy.

boss85

Cude is at cave city but not coaching.

brock

Quote from: boss85 on November 04, 2017, 02:15:53 pm
Cude is at cave city but not coaching.

That's nuts. I remember reading on here where he got reassigned at Sloan after going 30-5 "don't understand that one". I've seen Cude coach a few times and his teams are always well prepared.

boss85

November 04, 2017, 03:15:58 pm #16 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:08:55 pm by boss85
I think it was personality problems that derailed him.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: brock on November 04, 2017, 03:00:31 pm
That's nuts. I remember reading on here where he got reassigned at Sloan after going 30-5 "don't understand that one". I've seen Cude coach a few times and his teams are always well prepared.

When teams are winning it's never the coaches fault....

Anyway believe I read on here some parent didn't like how their little Johnny was being treated and got him ousted...

NEA Razorback olfan

Head Lion

Quote from: boss85 on November 04, 2017, 03:15:58 pm
I think it was personality problems that derailed him.
well have they have the personality fixed, because the program sucks now?

boss85

Don't really know anything about Sloan Hendrix. This is a highland thread.

ballmember

Curious as to who recommended this young man to coach at Highland School. Must had some folks in high places.   Was it bigtiger.   Did anyone actually observe his year at Timbo?    Did anyone talk with any of the coaches in the conference that Timbo was in?    Wish the student athletes at Highland well. 

boss85

Don't know. Athletic director is a former coach and the superintendent is retired on the job. Word is a board member is too involved in the basketball program.

boss85

Well, I waited 3 weeks for some positive stuff about Highland's new coach. A big tiger ramble was the only thing close. It's what I expected. But the season is underway and it appears things have settled down. Not hearing much drama so hopefully coach Edgar is settling in. The rebels got a couple of wins this week against Hoxie and Batesville. We will know more when some better competition comes along.

boss85

Interesting. Maybe things not as settled as I thought.

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: rebelfan on November 28, 2017, 08:38:24 am
Here are the teams that will be playing in the Ronnie Brogdon Christmas Classic at Highland on December 27-30

Highland
Strong
Manila
Melbourne
E-Stem
Springdale Har-Ber
Rivercrest
Marion
Batesville Southside
Obion County, TN
Trumann
Memphis Raleigh Egypt

So Har-Ber in about a 1 month span will play in a tournament in Brookland, Jonesboro, and Highland?.. That sounds awful.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: rebelfan on November 29, 2017, 11:35:21 pm
I saw some questions asked the other day and I know the answers to some of them. Stu Smart is still at Highland, but is not coaching. Cody Tharp transferred to Izard County after Coach Edgar told him if he played football he couldn't play basketball. They lost their point guard because of this, so that is one bad thing he did. I have read the rules book at the AAA website, and most of the rules are not followed. The one that stood out the most was that teams were only suppose to play in three invitational tournaments. Some are in six. That is a stupid rule. Those tournaments are really good. If anyone has any questions about Highland post them, and maybe I will know the answer. The girls and boys are both playing in the Lyon College Tournament next week. They have changed the format. It is now a double elimination tournament. I think I have finally figure out how it will be played. The two in the finals of the winners bracket will play in both boys and girls, and then both have a third consolation game. If this is right, there will be four teams playing, and the other four will have lost two games and will be finished. The Ronnie Brogdon Christmas Classic is played different than I have ever seen. There will be two different brackets with six teams in each. Two teams in each bracket drew a bye, and will play the winners of the first games. Then the two in the finals of each bracket will play and then the two winners of those games will play in the championship game. I may be able to copy and paste and put those brackets on here. I don't know if it will work though.
I assure you that no one is in 6 regular season tournaments. You might have been confused and counted post season tournaments on there or a lot of times people get confused on one game classics but those aren't tournaments(even though some tournaments are also called classics).

boss85

I saw some questions asked the other day and I know the answers to some of them. Stu Smart is still at Highland, but is not coaching. Cody Tharp transferred to Izard County after Coach Edgar told him if he played football he couldn't play basketball. They lost their point guard because of this, so that is one bad thing he did. I have read the rules book at the AAA website, and most of the rules are not followed. The one that stood out the most was that teams were only suppose to play in three invitational tournaments. Some are in six. That is a stupid rule. Those tournaments are really good. If anyone has any questions about Highland post them, and maybe I will know the answer. The girls and boys are both playing in the Lyon College Tournament next week. They have changed the format. It is now a double elimination tournament. I think I have finally figure out how it will be played. The two in the finals of the winners bracket will play in both boys and girls, and then both have a third consolation game. If this is right, there will be four teams playing, and the other four will have lost two games and will be finished. The Ronnie Brogdon Christmas Classic is played different than I have ever seen. There will be two different brackets with six teams in each. Two teams in each bracket drew a bye, and will play the winners of the first games. Then the two in the finals of each bracket will play and then the two winners of those games will play in the championship game. I may be able to copy and paste and put those brackets on here. I don't know if it will work though.
Dylan Tharp is the correct name. I doubt if those exact words were said since several football players are getting good playing time. But plenty of worse, more offensive stuff has been said which is where the problems are coming from.   

87DAWG

Highland lost their point guard the same time they lost their QB in the Harding Academy Football game. Which was Highland first football game. Tristan Hutson was Highlands Starting PG til his season ending injury.

boss85

Dylan would have been starting guard for highland along with hudson had they both been healthy. One could argue that Pena would still be in his spot. But there is no argument whatsoever that since Hudson was hurt, Tharp would have been starting.

hsindian

Quote from: rebelfan on November 29, 2017, 11:14:24 pm
I was checking on Springdale Har-Ber and did not know Scott Bowlin was their coach. He went to school at Highland, and his dad Jim Bowlin was coach. I don't remember when they left, but I think Scott won a state championship, but I don't know if it was as a player or coach. I think he played and/or coached at Paragould or Greene County Tech, which is in Paragould. If I remember right I think they consolidated for awhile and was the Ridgecrest Rams, but then they, I guess you would call it unconsolidated. LOL
I'm not sure if Bowling won a title at highland but he won one at Tech as a player I think and I think 2 as a coach. His family and Arnhart's were pretty good friends.
Paragould consolidated with oak Grove back in the late 80's then changed their name back to Paragould from ridegcrest a few years back.

87DAWG

Quote from: boss85 on November 30, 2017, 03:24:59 pm
Dylan would have been starting guard for highland along with hudson had they both been healthy. One could argue that Pena would still be in his spot. But there is no argument whatsoever that since Hudson was hurt, Tharp would have been starting.
Not saying he wouldnt of started! Those 6 sophomores, well now 5, played so much ball together it's unfortunate what happen. O well, life goes on. As far as Pena, he and Tharp are not the same guards. Totally different games. I know. No one has watched them more than me through the years....

boss85

December 01, 2017, 02:59:54 pm #32 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:48:00 pm by boss85
Quote from: rebelfan on December 01, 2017, 01:53:45 pm
Thanks for the info on Bowlin and the consolidation. He didn't win a state tournament at Highland. The boys have never won one. They have made it to the quarterfinals twice, and lost both games. The first time In think was 1972. The other time was fifteen to twenty years ago. The girls won two, one in 1973 and the other in 2002. Someone posted that Edgar did not use the exact words that I said he did about Tharp. He did say that because the AD's brother in law told me that. Pena is the starting point guard. I am tired of being called a liar. I am on here to comment about basketball, not to be called a liar. If it continues I will stop posting anything. If I don't know if something is true, I will say that is what I heard, not sure if it is true. Everything I have posted here has came from the AD and his family, so I know it is true.
I didn't call anyone a liar. I did say I doubted those exact words were said which is my opinion. No offense intended. If the AD knows all this stuff(and I guess he does since this stuff is coming from his family) I wonder what is being done about it. I'm no fan of the coach, but is the patient running the asylum?

boss85

Quote from: 87DAWG on December 01, 2017, 11:04:38 am
Not saying he wouldnt of started! Those 6 sophomores, well now 5, played so much ball together it's unfortunate what happen. O well, life goes on. As far as Pena, he and Tharp are not the same guards. Totally different games. I know. No one has watched them more than me through the years....
Exactly right about Pena. He is a really good player. Plays really hard with great enthusiasm.

87DAWG

Quote from: rebelfan on December 02, 2017, 12:10:29 am
Hudson was good too. I knew he hadn't been dressing out. Does anyone know what happened to him. I haven't been close  enough to him to ask myself. I assume it might have been an injury playing football. I don't know if Arnhart quit or got fired. He was a horrible coach. I think is record something 25-53. I saw recently after him they had a coach for one year that I didn't know about. I didn't go for a few years, the teams had gotten so bad. I went To Izard County. They always have good teams. That is the school my daughter went to so I support both teams. Since Highland has improved I don't plan on going to Izard County to any games. If they both win their first Lyon College game they will play each other. That should be an interesting game.  Since Izard County don't have football, they have played a lot more games than Highland and are undefeated. Highland has probably played five games, and have only lost one. I plan on going to the tournament Wednesday-Saturday. If anyone is interested I will report the scores.
His little sister is an 8th grader and put up 45 against an athletic Trumann Jr High team. Highly skilled and is determined to get to the basket every time down the floor

NEA Razorback olfan

Thanks for the updates, dropping 45pts is impressive at any level, especially an 8th grader!!! 

NEA Razorback olfan

Sounds like some good talent coming up for the Lady Rebels!!
Our Girls play Trumann tonight.

87DAWG

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on December 04, 2017, 09:53:17 am
Sounds like some good talent coming up for the Lady Rebels!!
Our Girls play Trumann tonight.
Good luck to yall!

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: 87DAWG on December 04, 2017, 02:36:20 pm
Good luck to yall!

Thank you sir, I don't believe we play Highand in girls this year , until district.
Then we may see them play each other.

Baller_34

That's not much to brag about. Markmaduke girls are way down this year.

87DAWG

Quote from: Baller_34 on December 04, 2017, 09:24:13 pm
That's not much to brag about. Markmaduke girls are way down this year.
It was a JV game.

Baller_34

Have u seen Palestine? They can barely get the ball up the floor. There is quite a few Jr high teams that wld beat them.

87DAWG

Quote from: rebelfan on December 21, 2017, 02:47:12 pm
It wasn't a JV game. I was there and it was the senior girls that played. Apparently Marmaduke isnot to bad. They beat Palestine-Wheatley 100-18 in the NEA tournament.
If you were there then you know after the 4th quarter it was a 6 point lead for Marmaduke and Coach played the Sophomore's and the 1 Junior the whole 4th quarter. It doesn't count on the Lady Rebels record. Thus, it was a JV game....

brock

I thought this team was suppose to be good?

87DAWG

Quote from: rebelfan on January 01, 2018, 12:29:27 am
The Rebel starters did not come out so how could it be a JV game. I know Highland's players and it was their starting five, with some subbing of course during the final quarter. I don't know why people want to argue when a person is there and knows what happened. There is always one in every crowd.
My fault I meant 3rd quarter and yes they were all Sopomores and 1 Junior played in the 4th quarter. I watched film on that game afterwards but I am not here to argue. Report what you remember. Very close to that team. More than just a fan. Anyway, they had a tough loss to Corning last night.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas