• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My 3A Top Ten

Started by Mike Bonds, September 18, 2017, 03:49:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Bonds

1.   Prescott
2.   Charleston
3.   Junction City
4.   Newport
5.   Clinton
6.   Glen Rose
7.   Mayflower
8.   Centerpoint
9.   Rivercrest
10.   Barton

HeadBussa08

HeadBussa08

Mine would be
1. Prescott
2. Junction
3. Chucktown
4. Harding
5. Newport
6. McGehee
7. Piggot
8. RiverCrest
9. Mayflower
10. Haskell/Glen Rose

jay nelvin

Piggott is a top 10 team.

AT

September 18, 2017, 07:31:54 pm #4 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:35:00 pm by Almatrackster
Harding's loss to Heber, the margin of it at least, might be concerning to some. I haven't seen Heber results and just thought this wasn't a super strong HS team. May be proven wrong, later.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 18, 2017, 07:31:54 pm
Harding's loss to Heber, the margin of it at least, might be concerning to some. I haven't seen Heber results and just thought this was a super strong HS team. May be proven wrong, later.
Heber was 0-2 before Friday's game, including a week 1 loss to 3A Clinton. Probably not exceptionally strong. However, the Panthers seem to have the whammy on HA and sometimes beat them when they shouldn't on paper.

I'd say the loss to HS establishes that HA does not belong at #4.

MB's rankings look pretty sound, although he might have Clinton a bit high, and I'd replace Barton with HA at #10. The Bears' 3-0 record is hollow, which will be readily apparent after they meet Mayflower this week.

Jimbo Morphis

Coltfan2005

Don't think you can have a legitimate top 10 list THIS WEEK without Clinton and Piggott.

Prescott
(space)
(space)
Charleston
Clinton
Junction City
Piggott
Newport
Glen Rose
Mayflower
HG
Harding

Mike Bonds

Quote from: Almatrackster on September 18, 2017, 07:31:54 pm
Harding's loss to Heber, the margin of it at least, might be concerning to some. I haven't seen Heber results and just thought this was a super strong HS team. May be proven wrong, later.

That's my logic mostly. I think HA has potential this year, but couldn't yet justify putting them in the top ten.

Piggott is undefeated but I'm not sold on the quality of those wins.

luxora4life

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on September 18, 2017, 08:01:15 pm
Don't think you can have a legitimate top 10 list THIS WEEK without Clinton and Piggott.

Prescott
(space)
(space)
Charleston
Clinton
Junction City
Piggott
Newport
Glen Rose
Mayflower
HG
Harding

Wow!

Mike Bonds

Quote from: CoolBreeze on September 18, 2017, 07:59:29 pm
Heber was 0-2 before Friday's game, including a week 1 loss to 3A Clinton. Probably not exceptionally strong. However, the Panthers seem to have the whammy on HA and sometimes beat them when they shouldn't on paper.

MB's rankings look pretty sound, although he might have Clinton a bit high, and I'd replace Barton with HA at #10. The Bears' 3-0 record is hollow, which will be readily apparent after they meet Mayflower this week.

I think Clinton is a pretty quality team, at least at this stage. I looked at Mayflower v. Barton as a knockout game.

AT

Quote from: CoolBreeze on September 18, 2017, 07:59:29 pm

Oops meant to say I wasn't* a super strong HS team. Agree with your thoughts.

HeadBussa08

I agree with the Heber statement on HA. I was shocked as well. So I probably have them to high. Them and Mayflower outta be interesting this year

jay nelvin

Quote from: Oldman on September 18, 2017, 08:00:56 pm
In 3a?
Scored 37 on Prescott last year, and returned almost every starter.  Defense was terrible, but I was impressed with their running game.  Absolutely a top 10, if not top 5, 3A team.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Mike Bonds on September 18, 2017, 08:34:16 pm
I think Clinton is a pretty quality team, at least at this stage. I looked at Mayflower v. Barton as a knockout game.
I don't dispute that, but HS is 4A.

DogCatcher

All questions about Piggot will be answered in the next 3 weeks. RC next week, Newport the week after.

Maximus Decimus Meridius

September 20, 2017, 10:31:02 am #16 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:34:12 am by Maximus Decimus Meridius
Quote from: Coltfan2005 on September 18, 2017, 08:01:15 pm

Prescott
(space)
(space)
Charleston
Clinton
Junction City
Piggott
Newport
Glen Rose
Mayflower
HG
Harding

Quote from: luxora4life on September 18, 2017, 08:32:38 pm
Wow!
Didn't even put our boys up there! Know who he has picked to win in these games against us then!

luxora4life

Quote from: Maximus Decimus Meridius on September 20, 2017, 10:31:02 am
Didn't even put our boys up there!

Oh, wow! I didn't realize Rivercrest wasn't in HIS top ten poll.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: luxora4life on September 20, 2017, 10:36:02 am
Oh, wow! I didn't realize Rivercrest wasn't in HIS top ten poll.
Maybe they're one of the spaces.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Maximus Decimus Meridius on September 20, 2017, 10:31:02 am
Didn't even put our boys up there! Know who he has picked to win in these games against us then!

and maybe you should quit whining and look at the facts. Top ten teams do not normally have 3+ turnovers a game, plus the number that were in the red zone. Top ten teams are not held to 1 first down in a half by a team that has yet to win. While I agree Rivercrest defense is worthy of a top slot, their offense has problems to work on. If I was from Corning, should I rank them in the top 10? Will the Colts move up on everyone's list? Probably. But unlike hooten's, I don't rank based on history. The two spaces under Prescott? That's because right now they are that much better than #2.

KOJACK

I got
Prescott
Charleston
Junction
Newport
Clinton
Rivercrest
Piggott
McGehee
Mayflower
Glen Rose
Should find out more about Piggott this week. And more about Glen Rose also. If Osceola beats Piggott and HHG beat Glen Rose theh they drop out and the other 2 enter...3-3A is gonna be interesting this year.

luxora4life

September 20, 2017, 04:33:37 pm #22 Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:01:53 pm by luxora4life
Quote from: Coltfan2005 on September 20, 2017, 01:44:45 pm
and maybe you should quit whining and look at the facts. Top ten teams do not normally have 3+ turnovers a game, plus the number that were in the red zone. Top ten teams are not held to 1 first down in a half by a team that has yet to win. While I agree Rivercrest defense is worthy of a top slot, their offense has problems to work on. If I was from Corning, should I rank them in the top 10? Will the Colts move up on everyone's list? Probably. But unlike hooten's, I don't rank based on history. The two spaces under Prescott? That's because right now they are that much better than #2.

True. But if Rivercrest was playing G.C.T and Rector (a team that since 2014 have won 1 game "Midland") in non-conference, I'm sure their Offensive Production or (lack there of) nor Turnover would have been an issue against those quality of teams.  They did move the ball successfully the first two games.  I agree, they need to take care of the ball a lot better.

Coltfan2005

The point is, their offense is having problems. There are missed blocks, dropped balls, and fumbles. I would guess that these problems will be taken care of soon, cause the really don't want to play Newport or Piggott when the ball is coming out so much. Offense steps up, they are top 5.

ISU7

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on September 20, 2017, 05:31:13 pm
The point is, their offense is having problems. There are missed blocks, dropped balls, and fumbles. I would guess that these problems will be taken care of soon, cause the really don't want to play Newport or Piggott when the ball is coming out so much. Offense steps up, they are top 5.
If Gosnell played the same non conference schedule as Piggott they would be 3-0, plus you can miss blocks against Rector and still score easy. Gosnell will probably win their conference.

Cardsfan25

Junction City should be number 1.

CURLEYWOLF24

Quote from: Cardsfan25 on September 21, 2017, 01:13:13 am
Junction City should be number 1.
You are......in your conference!!!!! ;D

HG Hornet

Having seen both Junction City and Prescott, I'm saying they're a close match.  I would enjoy watching them play each other. 

JC Guy

I haven't had the pleasure of watching the Curly Wolfs play but they have handed out some pretty good but whoopings the past couple of years. JC seams to have turned a corner in getting back to smothering D last week. I feel JC will be a handful for whoever they play in 3A. Balanced O with weapons everywhere and the D remembering where they are from and starting to play like it is what I base this on. JC has a bunch of talent starting I just don't know how deep we are. On paper this game looks like it would be a classic.

panther07

Quote from: JC Guy on September 21, 2017, 01:12:08 pm
I haven't had the pleasure of watching the Curly Wolfs play but they have handed out some pretty good but whoopings the past couple of years. JC seams to have turned a corner in getting back to smothering D last week. I feel JC will be a handful for whoever they play in 3A. Balanced O with weapons everywhere and the D remembering where they are from and starting to play like it is what I base this on. JC has a bunch of talent starting I just don't know how deep we are. On paper this game looks like it would be a classic.

Hard to call them balanced.  They might not be in the wishbone anymore, but the results still pretty similar.  Not doing much passing.  That's not a knock, as I wish they were still in the wishbone from simply a football fan perspective. 

That said, I still think they are most definitely a handful for anybody they step on the field with. 

JC Guy

Quote from: panther07 on September 21, 2017, 01:39:07 pm
Hard to call them balanced.  They might not be in the wishbone anymore, but the results still pretty similar.  Not doing much passing.  That's not a knock, as I wish they were still in the wishbone from simply a football fan perspective. 

That said, I still think they are most definitely a handful for anybody they step on the field with.
Have you watched them? They throw it around some they just haven't had to up to this point. Our QB can spin it and we have a couple of really talented receivers. Probably passed more on the Bears when they started loading the box than they did against Haynesville.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: ISU7 on September 20, 2017, 11:50:46 pm
If Gosnell played the same non conference schedule as Piggott they would be 3-0, plus you can miss blocks against Rector and still score easy. Gosnell will probably win their conference.

This is the same non-conf schedule Piggott had last year. This is the exact same team Piggott had last year, minus 3 starters (4?) and with another year's experience. Why don't you tell me why Rivercrest deserves a top 10 ranking and why Osceola, newport, and Rivercrest are better than Piggott?

panther07

Quote from: JC Guy on September 21, 2017, 02:05:24 pm
Have you watched them? They throw it around some they just haven't had to up to this point. Our QB can spin it and we have a couple of really talented receivers. Probably passed more on the Bears when they started loading the box than they did against Haynesville.

I've seen limited amounts of film, but I can read a box score.  Was 8-17 for 108 1 TD 1 Int against Bearden. Haynseville, they had 112 yards.  England 49.  They had no reason to throw against England, but the other two still aren't what I'd call balance. 

luxora4life

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on September 21, 2017, 03:24:05 pm
This is the same non-conf schedule Piggott had last year. This is the exact same team Piggott had last year, minus 3 starters (4?) and with another year's experience. Why don't you tell me why Rivercrest deserves a top 10 ranking and why Osceola, newport, and Rivercrest are better than Piggott?

He probably would say because Rivercrest only lost a couple of starters and replace them with players like #4, 7, 56.  Plus, another year of experience.  Maybe, he is looking at the fact that you ranking two team that Rivercrest beat last year in YOUR top 10 that also lost key players last year.  I'm just saying what he might say.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: luxora4life on September 21, 2017, 04:25:03 pm
He probably would say because Rivercrest only lost a couple of starters and replace them with players like #4, 7, 56.  Plus, another year of experience.  Maybe, he is looking at the fact that you ranking two team that Rivercrest beat last year in YOUR top 10 that also lost key players last year.  I'm just saying what he might say.

In case you forgot, this is 2017. Not 2016. Last year doesn't matter..

luxora4life

September 21, 2017, 05:11:41 pm #35 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:28:51 pm by luxora4life
Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on September 21, 2017, 04:32:12 pm

I'm well aware of the calendar year.  Last year doesn't matter, non conference games doesn't matter, what a team looks like against another team doesn't matter, but yet most of our opinion polls are base on those same "doesn't matter facts". 

Let me help you PB,

Coltfan asked ISU7 to tell him why Rivercrest deserves a top ten ranking in coltfan top ten ranking and why RC and 2 other teams are better this year than Piggott. Coltfan then begins to make the case that Piggott is basically the same team as last year ( minus 3 or 4 starters) which beat 2 of the 3 teams named.  So, Since I know ISU just a little, I stated what he might say.

You're welcome.

luxora4life

September 21, 2017, 05:17:41 pm #36 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:19:32 pm by luxora4life
Oh, bye the way there are a few Opinion polls that do think RC is a top ten team this year.  But at the end of the day, these polls ranking won't help a team one bit at 7:00 pm on Fridays

dragondad

Quote from: panther07 on September 21, 2017, 03:59:56 pm
I've seen limited amounts of film, but I can read a box score.  Was 8-17 for 108 1 TD 1 Int against Bearden. Haynseville, they had 112 yards.  England 49.  They had no reason to throw against England, but the other two still aren't what I'd call balance.

The stats show they haven't had to throw it, in any game thus far.  Why when your putting up 1,200+ yards rushing in three games.  BUT, as JC Guy said....load the box to slow down the smashmouth and you'll see just how balanced they are.

panther07

Quote from: dragondad on September 21, 2017, 05:35:02 pm
The stats show they haven't had to throw it, in any game thus far.  Why when your putting up 1,200+ yards rushing in three games.  BUT, as JC Guy said....load the box to slow down the smashmouth and you'll see just how balanced they are.

Which is what Bearden did according to him. And they were 8-17 for 108 yards with an Int. Doesn't sound too intimidating. I'm not trying to advocate for them to the throw the ball more. No reason to. But I'm also not willing to call them what they aren't. And that's balanced.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: luxora4life on September 21, 2017, 05:11:41 pm
I'm well aware of the calendar year.  Last year doesn't matter, non conference games doesn't matter, what a team looks like against another team doesn't matter, but yet most of our opinion polls are base on those same "doesn't matter facts". 

Let me help you PB,

Coltfan asked ISU7 to tell him why Rivercrest deserves a top ten ranking in coltfan top ten ranking and why RC and 2 other teams are better this year than Piggott. Coltfan then begins to make the case that Piggott is basically the same team as last year ( minus 3 or 4 starters) which beat 2 of the 3 teams named.  So, Since I know ISU just a little, I stated what he might say.

You're welcome.

and yet, the case was made that Rivercrest is better because of who they played in non-conf. If the non-conf doesn't matter, then that argument is baseless. I think I'll go by having seen both teams play THIS year. Can Rivercrest beat Piggott? Of course they can. Will they? No they won't, not unless the offense starts to click and players hold onto the ball. Stop the ridiculous unsportsmanlike penalties and play with discipline.

DogCatcher

3A-3 has 4 teams that can win the conference and make it deep in the playoffs. Those games against each other are going to be great to watch.

JC Guy

Quote from: panther07 on September 21, 2017, 07:42:45 pm
Which is what Bearden did according to him. And they were 8-17 for 108 yards with an Int. Doesn't sound too intimidating. I'm not trying to advocate for them to the throw the ball more. No reason to. But I'm also not willing to call them what they aren't. And that's balanced.
Okay you're opinion belongs to you and I am good with that. Just don't be surprised when you see 500 yards of O in the box score and 300 came from the air.

dragondad

Quote from: panther07 on September 21, 2017, 07:42:45 pm

Yeah that was a little sloppy for game one where the QB rushed for over 200 and the RB over 400

panther07

Quote from: dragondad on September 21, 2017, 08:26:55 pm
Yeah that was a little sloppy for game one where the QB rushed for over 200 and the RB over 400

You guys ever seen Bill Brasky SNL stuff? That's what you guys sound like. Just checked that box score and RB ran for 262. Your credibility goes down when you stretch the truth.

JC Guy

Quote from: panther07 on September 21, 2017, 08:56:35 pm
You guys ever seen Bill Brasky SNL stuff? That's what you guys sound like. Just checked that box score and RB ran for 262. Your credibility goes down when you stretch the truth.
I never quoted a box score. Your doing the skit when you start making comments about a team you admit you know little about. Did it ever cross your mind that JC jumped on the Bears early by three scores and kept pounding the rock to run them out of gas even with the box stacked? The Bears pulled back with in a score and that was time to take the top off a couple of times. Now they know they can't stack the box and the rest is history. So go watch the whole game or carefully read the box score with a feel for the game and you won't look like a clown.

panther07

September 21, 2017, 09:34:58 pm #45 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:51:05 pm by panther07
Quote from: JC Guy on September 21, 2017, 09:28:09 pm
I never quoted a box score. Your doing the skit when you start making comments about a team you admit you know little about. Did it ever cross your mind that JC jumped on the Bears early by three scores and kept pounding the rock to run them out of gas even with the box stacked? The Bears pulled back with in a score and that was time to take the top off a couple of times. Now they know they can't stack the box and the rest is history. So go watch the whole game or carefully read the box score with a feel for the game and you won't look like a clown.

1.) dragondad quoted a stat. And that's who I quoted. Wasn't even close to accurate.
2.) I used your words about the Bearden game and throwing more on them than they did haynesville etc. I didn't come to that conclusion on my own, as I didn't see the game. You provided that information for me.

You guys are so defensive over me not wanting to call JC a passing juggernaut. Or even calling their passing ability equal with the running game (which would equal balance). Nobody was taking a shot, but you guys took it as one. Matter of fact, I feel that JC is the favorite to win it all. Just relax a bit.

ISU7

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on September 21, 2017, 03:24:05 pm
Mohawkfan2005 i never said RC was better than Piggott. Piggott was better than RC last season but that didnt stop RC and Newport from sharing the conference crown ;D. all I was saying is Gosnell isnt an easy team to beat and i believe they could beat Rector, Hazen and Portageville, nothing meant against the Mohawks.

ISU7

Quote from: Proud Buckaroo on September 21, 2017, 04:32:12 pm
Lol Smack fan still sore about that2015 Rivercrest team that lost too Manila but  kept #1 Smackover from advancing  to what they thought was a sure state title year oops!!!!! That's why I say rankings dont really mean jack or jill lol ;D 8)

dragondad

Quote from: panther07 on September 21, 2017, 09:34:58 pm
1.) dragondad quoted a stat. And that's who I quoted. Wasn't even close to accurate.
2.) I used your words about the Bearden game and throwing more on them than they did haynesville etc. I didn't come to that conclusion on my own, as I didn't see the game. You provided that information for me.

You guys are so defensive over me not wanting to call JC a passing juggernaut. Or even calling their passing ability equal with the running game (which would equal balance). Nobody was taking a shot, but you guys took it as one. Matter of fact, I feel that JC is the favorite to win it all. Just relax a bit.

Yeah I made the mistake....typing.  I had written over 400 yards rushing but changed it to QB for 200 and (was suposed to be 200.... I didn't delete and replace the 4).   S*** happens.   We never claimed to be a passing juggernaut.... just a well balanced offense.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: ISU7 on September 21, 2017, 09:46:35 pm
Lol Smack fan still sore about that2015 Rivercrest team that lost too Manila but  kept #1 Smackover from advancing  to what they thought was a sure state title year oops!!!!! That's why I say rankings dont really mean jack or jill lol ;D 8)

I've been over that. LOL. I'm just saying that this a new year. What teams did last year doesn't matter!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas