• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA......

Started by Yellowcake, September 16, 2017, 01:14:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PrivateLesson

panther07

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 03:03:22 pm

Not bitter, I just don't think the advantages your are referring to make that much difference.  I do completely believe that this group of coaches could go elsewhere and have similar success, assuming they could get players, parents, and school faculty to fully commit to the program.
[/b]

This is a private school advantage that people speak of..

JessieP

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 06:50:55 pm

Seriously dude, climb down off the cross.  I've never said PA doesn't have advantages, but I feel like some of these posts disrespect the work thoughts players but in.

Come down off the Cross? because I have empathy for kids who's families are struggling? and as far as disrespect, your kidding, right? this is a "Gotcha" type post, isn't it? I mean you cannot be serious. Some posters question the advantages PA has and to you the kids are being disrespected? let's see, they have about 10 different uniform combinations, something 90% of teenage kids would love to have. They play on National tv, Hootens and the Arkansas Democrat Gazette are basically PA pr firms. They have been featured on numerous tv spots including HBO, the local tv media fawns over them and they get about 10x's the coverage of schools like Greenwood and Har-Ber despite those schools having as much if not more success. Exactly how much respect do you want? should every other team in the State wear PA stickers on their helmets?  should the National Anthem be replaced with the PA alma mater state wide? disrespect? how much respect do you want? I don't see how they could possibly get any more, but you feel their disrespected? short of changing the name of every other team in the State to "Not PA" there is no other way for them to get any more respect.

Maynard G Krebs

Don't make me pull this car over

Chief_Osceola™

September 21, 2017, 07:30:37 pm #104 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:42:14 pm by Chief_Osceola™
I'll say it - I like the PA posters - PA Dad, Maynard, Red Devil Alum, Overdahill, etc.

That said, these latest posts from the other poster are coming off as being a bit dickish.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 21, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
Don't make me pull this car over

I refuse to go without my cellphone....take the TV!!!  Please!!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: PrivateLesson on September 21, 2017, 07:33:06 pm

I refuse to go without my cellphone....take the TV!!!  Please!!

You can keep the TV, but I'll cut off the cable

PrivateLesson

HE STARTED IT!!!!!    :'(

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: PrivateLesson on September 21, 2017, 07:43:27 pm
HE STARTED IT!!!!!    :'(

I don't care who started it.   I am gonna stop it.

Apologies to my folks

PA Dad

Quote from: Wildcat Football on September 21, 2017, 02:12:17 pm
Who is recruiting Hatcher, any D1 offers?  I know Luke Jones is committed to the Hogs already.  I haven't heard of any major offers for Hatcher though even with some pretty astonishing stats...just curious, he is quite a competitor and a winner.  I hate to say it, but every major college is looking for the 6-3 protype build, but you look at Florida & Tennessee QB's last week and it was just horrible from QB play.  Why don't colleges recruit more athletes who are good instead of just look good from a physical standpoint?  Boggles the mind the fixation on potential v proven winners regardless of profile.

His grandfather told me he has some offers from Ivy League schools.  He also told me that SMU is taking a hard look at him and might well make an offer.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: JessieP on September 21, 2017, 03:23:26 pm
The last line of your post was correct, but it's also a far cry from hard work. There are a lot of kids all across the state that work just as hard as the kids at PA. I wonder if PA has any kids who walk to school every morning and home after practice because both parents work and in no way can they afford a car? I wonder if any players at PA come home at night and eat Ramon noodles or Sam's Club Pot Pies and Kool-Aid because that's all they can afford? I wonder if any players at PA have had a few day's of no power because Entergy disconnected their house 3 day's before payday and their parents can't afford to turn it on? I wonder if any players at PA have seen one of their parents dragged out of the house in handcuffs? I wonder if any players at PA only eat at school because there is no food or adults at home, ever? those are not far fetched scenarios, they are going on all across our and all other States. It's a heartbreaking reality.

The last line of your post is both a truth and a blessing, many many schools do not have that. But it's not just hard work. Insinuating PA is next level because they work harder is both insulting and condescending, it's mean spirited. The  economic advantages PA has contribute massively to their success. Do the kids and coaches at PA work hard? yes. So do the kids at GCT. Your Son and his teammates have been blessed, they have every right to enjoy what they've accomplished. But don't look down your nose and say "they just work hard". There is a LOT more to it then that. Your implying they work harder then anyone else is just mean.
While I can't speak with 100% specificity, I would not expect that any PA kid has the economic challenges you describe. Doesn't mean they are all rich, but they are unlikely to be "poor." It's an advantage to have your kids not worrying about off the field stuff.*

*Which doesn't mean PA kids lives are perfect.  A few have parents with health issues, their still teenagers, etc.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 21, 2017, 07:30:37 pm
I'll say it - I like the PA posters - PA Dad, Maynard, Red Devil Alum, Overdahill, etc.

That said, these latest posts from the other poster are coming off as being a bit dickish.

My apologies if that's the case, it was certainly not intended.  Just getting a little tired of hearing how PA is handed everything. 

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: JessieP on September 21, 2017, 07:16:03 pm
Come down off the Cross? because I have empathy for kids who's families are struggling? and as far as disrespect, your kidding, right? this is a "Gotcha" type post, isn't it? I mean you cannot be serious. Some posters question the advantages PA has and to you the kids are being disrespected? let's see, they have about 10 different uniform combinations, something 90% of teenage kids would love to have. They play on National tv, Hootens and the Arkansas Democrat Gazette are basically PA pr firms. They have been featured on numerous tv spots including HBO, the local tv media fawns over them and they get about 10x's the coverage of schools like Greenwood and Har-Ber despite those schools having as much if not more success. Exactly how much respect do you want? should every other team in the State wear PA stickers on their helmets?  should the National Anthem be replaced with the PA alma mater state wide? disrespect? how much respect do you want? I don't see how they could possibly get any more, but you feel their disrespected? short of changing the name of every other team in the State to "Not PA" there is no other way for them to get any more respect.

You keep steering this conversation back to every disadvantage player out there, and I'm not sure why.  No one ever said the playing field is level.  I'm quite certain having multiple uniforms doesn't score touchdowns and all this attention from the media came after the success, not before.  But, please, keep belittling PA's accomplishments like they were all bought and paid for.  You've been if doing it for years, why stop now.

PrivateLesson

I didn't do nuffin'   

PA Dad

September 21, 2017, 08:19:18 pm #114 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:21:04 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: JessieP on September 21, 2017, 03:23:26 pm
The last line of your post was correct, but it's also a far cry from hard work. There are a lot of kids all across the state that work just as hard as the kids at PA. I wonder if PA has any kids who walk to school every morning and home after practice because both parents work and in no way can they afford a car? I wonder if any players at PA come home at night and eat Ramon noodles or Sam's Club Pot Pies and Kool-Aid because that's all they can afford? I wonder if any players at PA have had a few day's of no power because Entergy disconnected their house 3 day's before payday and their parents can't afford to turn it on? I wonder if any players at PA have seen one of their parents dragged out of the house in handcuffs? I wonder if any players at PA only eat at school because there is no food or adults at home, ever? those are not far fetched scenarios, they are going on all across our and all other States. It's a heartbreaking reality.

The last line of your post is both a truth and a blessing, many many schools do not have that. But it's not just hard work. Insinuating PA is next level because they work harder is both insulting and condescending, it's mean spirited. The  economic advantages PA has contribute massively to their success. Do the kids and coaches at PA work hard? yes. So do the kids at GCT. Your Son and his teammates have been blessed, they have every right to enjoy what they've accomplished. But don't look down your nose and say "they just work hard". There is a LOT more to it then that. Your implying they work harder then anyone else is just mean.

JessieP, my kids grew up privileged.  I did not.  I experienced many of the situations you mention.  So don't think all PA parents were born with a silver spoon.

I always pondered how to raise my kids "poor" because I think that teaches humility and puts a hunger in the belly to improve your lot in life.  I never figured out how to do that.  My kids are good kids but they don't have the ambition to improve that I had because there is no imperative driving them like poverty.

There are vast advantages for kids who come from affluent families.  But there's also a downside.

Having said that, the advantages far outweigh the downside.

JessieP

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on September 21, 2017, 08:02:21 pm
While I can't speak with 100% specificity, I would not expect that any PA kid has the economic challenges you describe. Doesn't mean they are all rich, but they are unlikely to be "poor." It's an advantage to have your kids not worrying about off the field stuff.*

*Which doesn't mean PA kids lives are perfect.  A few have parents with health issues, their still teenagers, etc.

Without question. Life's hardships don't stop because your financially comfortable. And if you notice I have evolved to the point where I do respect what PA has accomplished. In fact awhile ago I posted how it was unfair to the actual players when people attach an "air asterisk" to their accomplishments. I give you all that and more. I probably need to take a few deep breaths and step back. I'm starting to think this new poster, PA Bruin Fan, is not in fact a players parent but rather a student or general troll. Their defiant "we're just better" post do seem very un-PA like. They say when you engage the troll, the troll wins. Now that Maynard has made us laugh I'm starting to remember that you, PA Dad, Overdahill, ST and of course Ornery Old Maynard or other regular PA poster's have never posted that they work harder and are disrespected. Just to give me a possible out, if they are in fact a PA parent then...that poor kid.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 08:12:30 pm

You keep steering this conversation back to every disadvantage player out there, and I'm not sure why.  No one ever said the playing field is level.  I'm quite certain having multiple uniforms doesn't score touchdowns and all this attention from the media came after the success, not before.  But, please, keep belittling PA's accomplishments like they were all bought and paid for.  You've been if doing it for years, why stop now.

A) I have NEVER insinuated PA bought anything, not once. B) I have never belittled what they have accomplished on the field, not once. I used to question how the team was built, massive difference. C) I joined FF in November of 2016. For years now?  But don't let those pesky little facts get in the way of a good story.

JessieP

[/b]

Thank you Chief, you were able to summarize in one sentence what I was trying to do in numerous long winded paragraphs. My wife must be right, I'm an idiot. I can't cut right to the point, lol. Even though I've been doing this for years???????

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: JessieP on September 21, 2017, 08:25:50 pm
A) I have NEVER insinuated PA bought anything, not once. B) I have never belittled what they have accomplished on the field, not once. I used to question how the team was built, massive difference. C) I joined FF in November of 2016. For years now?  But don't let those pesky little facts get in the way of a good story.

"They play on National tv, Hootens and the Arkansas Democrat Gazette are basically PA pr firms.

Then what is this suggesting?  No, I never said "PA is just better".  I did say I think they work harder and take the game to another level.  I'm not suggesting they are the only ones who do that.  If anyone is trolling, it is you, sir. 

Can I not be proud of my son and his team?  I'm not trying to be condescending if it sounds that way.

PA Dad

Geez Chief when are you going to learn to say what you really think?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PA Dad on September 21, 2017, 08:40:09 pm
Geez Chief when are you going to learn to say what you really think?

Sorry, it's been one of those days. I just had to vent a bit. :)

I'll explain my exasperation in my next response.

PA Dad

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 21, 2017, 09:06:11 pm
Sorry, it's been one of those days. I just had to vent a bit. :)

I'll explain my exasperation in my next response.

I was not being critical.  There's nothing wrong with calling it like you see it.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PA Bruin Fan on September 21, 2017, 08:08:42 pm

My apologies if that's the case, it was certainly not intended.  Just getting a little tired of hearing how PA is handed everything. 

No worries - that may have been a bit harsh. Apologies to anyone offended.

Anyway, judging by your post count I'm guessing you're realatively new to the boards, and so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Every season, without fail, there is a thread that always discusses private schools vs. public schools, and it ALWAYS devolves into a thread like this one.  All possible angles have been debated and argued ad nauseum and probably will be until Jesus returns. Hence my lashing out.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PA Dad on September 21, 2017, 09:13:18 pm
I was not being critical.  There's nothing wrong with calling it like you see it.

Haha no offense taken - I suppose I was channeling old school Chief_Osceola. He was a lot more ornery than the current iteration.

PA Bruin Fan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 21, 2017, 09:20:11 pm
No worries - that may have been a bit harsh. Apologies to anyone offended.

Anyway, judging by your post count I'm guessing you're realatively new to the boards, and so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Every season, without fail, there is a thread that always discusses private schools vs. public schools, and it ALWAYS devolves into a thread like this one.  All possible angles have been debated and argued ad nauseum and probably will be until Jesus returns. Hence my lashing out.

Thank you.  I'm certainly not perfect and it's hard to strike the right tone when writing on a blog versus live conversation. 

I love football!!

Yellowcake

Guys, just read through this. I think I am being objective here when I say that some of you might have been a little harsh on PA Bruin Fan. I don't think he meant to be offensive and I don't think he's a troll. If a troll, there was plenty of bait there for him to troll harder and provoke more. I think he has consistently offered the olive branch.

That's my take. Maybe we should chill a bit.

Wildcat Football

PA's success should push other teams to work harder & if critics don't like their success....so be it.  PA's low numbers in school enrollment and elevated one classification up helps to offset some of the advantages of finding players across geographies.  Greenwood has been pretty darn successful long-term like PA...looking at them as a non-private case study, so to me it is more about the coaches, parent committment, systems installed, philosophy...look at what Dawson did in 3 years at Russellville, as another case study.  Competition is good folks with setting the bar high like these programs, ambition & finding success through hard work is apart of an intangible ingredient as is determination, grit, and heart.  I like what Kelly from Glenwood (small town America); Gus Malzahn (Humnoke, I believe?); Dawson (Nashville) have done to put Ark HS football on the map.  I appreciate all these guys and their committment to growing average kids athletically into legitimate winners  on a consistent basis. Pine Bluff is one of the most successful programs in the history of Ark HS Football...they get it done too year over year.

EarlTheSnakeWhite

I'd love to see PA and Greenwood match up

Marblehog

I'm not a PA fan but I do figure their kids work harder than most players in the state(not all).  Do they work harder in the weightroom than a lot of kids?  Probably so.  Its a lot easier to work hard when you have proper nutrition, good home, parents who care etc.. And I assume most PA kids have that. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Wildcat Football on September 22, 2017, 09:10:24 am
PA's success should push other teams to work harder & if critics don't like their success....so be it.

If anyone is a fan of capitalism, they should appreciate PA.  Not necessarily like them, but appreciate what they do.  And then do whatever it takes (legally, and within the rules set forth by the AAA) to try and get to that level.

panther07

Quote from: Marblehog on September 22, 2017, 09:20:01 am
I'm not a PA fan but I do figure their kids work harder than most players in the state(not all).  Do they work harder in the weightroom than a lot of kids?  Probably so.  Its a lot easier to work hard when you have proper nutrition, good home, parents who care etc.. And I assume most PA kids have that.

Ha.  I've seen this be too much of a good thing sometimes.  Can't put on enough weight on OL at HA

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: JessieP on September 20, 2017, 08:31:50 pm
To all my PA buddies I have a question. Last night on Youtube I watched the PA/Chaminade game. I'm not sure what year but it looked like Henry was on that team, if he was #82? anyway, PA was winning late in the game and then in the last 3 minutes that had like 3 unforced errors deep in their side of the field including a poorly thrown pick 6 to ice it. Was happened? you never see a Kelley team fall apart like that, what was the story?
That was 2012, yes Hunter Henry was #82.  Short answer on what happened...RB who was gouging them for around 12yds per carry tore his ACL.  Re-watch with that info and you will notice the difference.

threepeoplematter

Quote from: Wildcat Football on September 22, 2017, 09:10:24 am
PA's success should push other teams to work harder & if critics don't like their success....so be it.  PA's low numbers in school enrollment and elevated one classification up helps to offset some of the advantages of finding players across geographies.  Greenwood has been pretty darn successful long-term like PA...looking at them as a non-private case study, so to me it is more about the coaches, parent committment, systems installed, philosophy...look at what Dawson did in 3 years at Russellville, as another case study.  Competition is good folks with setting the bar high like these programs, ambition & finding success through hard work is apart of an intangible ingredient as is determination, grit, and heart.  I like what Kelly from Glenwood (small town America); Gus Malzahn (Humnoke, I believe?); Dawson (Nashville) have done to put Ark HS football on the map.  I appreciate all these guys and their committment to growing average kids athletically into legitimate winners  on a consistent basis. Pine Bluff is one of the most successful programs in the history of Ark HS Football...they get it done too year over year.

Don't forget Carpenter at Junction City and Totty at Rison.  Those two have been at it a lot of years.  Not just a big school thing.  Every division has their juggernauts.  My opinion its always going to be that way.  Some places are like the SEC, it just means more.....literally.

threepeoplematter

Oh and don't forget Barton or Warren.  Also to keep in mind, seems more obvious in the bigger classifications because the smaller schools get a little less press time and smaller schools seem to be more cyclical.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas