• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newport vs Hoxie

Started by Bigred18, September 16, 2017, 01:07:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigred18

ISU7

Mustangs get chased by the Greyhounds.
Hounds by 27

Proud Buckaroo

CoolBreeze

Quote from: ISU7 on September 16, 2017, 01:29:30 am
Mustangs get chased by the Greyhounds.
Hounds by 27
I'd say Greyhounds outrace Mustangs and leave them in the dust.

Statsman

Not sure about that. Hoxie surprised a lot of people last night against CC, 40-0. Defense played a heck of a game. From what I've heard about Newport they lost some studs and don't have much coming back. Hoxie played Hoxie football last night. Riggs, Spradlin, Davis, and the Moore brothers are hungry on offense. Hoxie by 14.

Proud Buckaroo

Quote from: Statsman on September 16, 2017, 11:48:27 am
Not sure about that. Hoxie surprised a lot of people last night against CC, 40-0. Defense played a heck of a game. From what I've heard about Newport they lost some studs and don't have much coming back. Hoxie played Hoxie football last night. Riggs, Spradlin, Davis, and the Moore brothers are hungry on offense. Hoxie by 14.

Apparently you don't understand just how bad CC is right now.

Statsman

And apparently you don't realize how much of a turnaround Hoxie has made from the past two weeks. Newport with 3 starters out with injuries. Hoxie W.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Statsman on September 16, 2017, 11:53:03 am
And apparently you don't realize how much of a turnaround Hoxie has made from the past two weeks. Newport with 3 starters out with injuries. Hoxie W.
Will those starters still be out next week?

Hound father

September 16, 2017, 01:17:35 pm #8 Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:32:58 pm by Hound father
Apparently someone must not see what Newport has done on both sides of the ball. Gosnell only one scoring drive on the starters. Gct only one scoring drive on the starters. Lonoke only score come on the second string defense. Newport starters will be out of the game by third quarter could be before but coaches will keep them in to prove a point and make a statement. Only teams that battle for this conference is going to be Newport, Osceola, and rivercrest. Piggott will surprise a few but the level that the top three are playing no one stands a chance. Newport has a couple out with injury but they have proven next man up mentally.

Heisman Pose

Not so fast my friend. Piggott appears to be even better than last year. They blew out Osceola , beat Rivercrest by a couple of tds, and lost by an extra point to Newport last year. Might need to say the big 4.

Hound father

Surely you are not putting a measuring stick on how good they look when they are playing teams that they should beat. The teams they have played would not give anyone besides one or two teams an issue in our conference. The real measuring stick will come conference time. If you want to see how well you improve and get a challenge you should step up classifications in non conference play.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Hound father on September 16, 2017, 02:39:48 pm
Surely you are not putting a measuring stick on how good they look when they are playing teams that they should beat. The teams they have played would not give anyone besides one or two teams an issue in our conference. The real measuring stick will come conference time. If you want to see how well you improve and get a challenge you should step up classifications in non conference play.
I agree. An example would be Bald Knob who has already played two 4A teams that are undefeated so far.

It's true that they lost both games. But you learn more from a loss to a superior team than from an easy win.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Hound father on September 16, 2017, 02:39:48 pm

Yet you are measuring Newport by their schedule, against three teams with a combined 2 wins.

Oldhound56

Yet they are judging Hoxies turn around by one win over a team that had given up 100 pts going into the game.

Guess we will see Friday night!

Hound father

Yes I measure it off of what they have done against teams that that are higher classifications same thing that they measure from but they have played nobody weak teams in lower conferences that they are suppose to beat the teams they play have a combined record of 2-8 play teams like what our schools have and gotten better because of the talent that is there at those schools

Hound father

Quote from: Heisman Pose on September 16, 2017, 01:34:18 pm
Not so fast my friend. Piggott appears to be even better than last year. They blew out Osceola , beat Rivercrest by a couple of tds, and lost by an extra point to Newport last year. Might need to say the big 4.

Piggott may be better than last year but I will say that the noles will run them off the field this week I believe the noles has a team that is very dangerous this year. The coaching staff there has these boys playing great team ball.

ISU7

September 16, 2017, 11:49:28 pm #16 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 04:03:50 am by ISU7
This is not last year and Osceola is not the same team as last season. make sure you sit up front friday night you might be surprised... ;D 8) Oh you forgot too mention they lost too Walnut Ridge by 2  no disrespect to my friend coach Harrell they  finished behind RC and Newport in conference play.  ;D 8)

Paperman

Even though Hoxie has improved, I don't see the Mustangs beating the Greyhounds! But with that being said, what can you gleem from non-conference results?

Heisman Pose

If you looked at my post closer, it was making the point of Piggott doesn't need to be excluded from being in the thick of it. As far as looking at the non conference schedules and grading the teams, it isn't on a level that is equal.
Based on newspapers and here, Rivercrest seems to be locked and loaded. Newport seems more explosive this year despite the adversity. Osceola is very much improved. Piggott even though with a weaker schedule appears to be better. Walnut Ridge looks competitive. Hoxie is improved. Manila is definitely weaker than last year . Corning' streak will continue maybe for years unless they can get a cupcake in the non conference schedule

Paperman

Quote from: Heisman Pose on September 17, 2017, 08:41:40 am
If you looked at my post closer, it was making the point of Piggott doesn't need to be excluded from being in the thick of it. As far as looking at the non conference schedules and grading the teams, it isn't on a level that is equal.
Based on newspapers and here, Rivercrest seems to be locked and loaded. Newport seems more explosive this year despite the adversity. Osceola is very much improved. Piggott even though with a weaker schedule appears to be better. Walnut Ridge looks competitive. Hoxie is improved. Manila is definitely weaker than last year . Corning' streak will continue maybe for years unless they can get a cupcake in the non conference schedule
Well said +1

touchdownsandturnovers

Newport wins on nothing more than pure athleticism. Hoxie will be coached well but falls to a more dynamic team. Newport by 20

sprained ankle

Depleted Hounds have no chance against Hoxie!

Hound father

Didn't they say the junior high was playing for all the hurt people Friday night.

TruthHurts

Hoxie hasnt been the same since Cole Sears, Johnson, and LittleJohn graduated. Last year was the regroup year, and this one is the building for next year.  Hoxie gets out atheleted here and it gets away from them early in the 3rd qtr.

Paperman

Quote from: sprained ankle on September 17, 2017, 05:58:58 pm
Depleted Hounds have no chance against Hoxie!
You said it friend😎🏈🏈

ISU7

Quote from: Heisman Pose on September 17, 2017, 08:41:40 am
I know Piggott has three of the top four teams at home and will be tough to beat.. 8)

Nomad1324

Piggott has put up a lot of points against some bad teams. Agreed that they are a good team, and their results last year are encouraging going forward, but give me Newport, Rivercrest, and now possibly Osceola ahead of them in the conference.

As far as Hoxie beating Cave City? Cave City looks to finish last in the 4A-3, perennially the weakest 4A conference in the state. Slow your row before saying Hoxie is turned around. Played better against Westside, give them that, then Westside turns around and loses to Marked Tree.

Hoxie might have a leg up in the race for the 5th seed, but it'll probably be them and Walnut Ridge fighting for that spot.

2wordsdefense

Quote from: touchdownsandturnovers on September 17, 2017, 09:13:45 am
Newport wins on nothing more than pure athleticism. Hoxie will be coached well but falls to a more dynamic team. Newport by 20

You have to love it when schools like Newport and Rivercrest are ONLY athletic and someone like a Hoxie is well coached... ::) ::) ::)

DogCatcher

The injuries won't hurt the Hounds and the replacements for lost players may be even better. They only lose if they turn the ball over.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: DogCatcher on September 18, 2017, 02:02:28 pm
The injuries won't hurt the Hounds and the replacements for lost players may be even better. They only lose if they turn the ball over.
Welcome to FF, Dogcatcher.

Mike Bonds

Newport's defense is very, very good.  Extremely fast. 

Offensively, there are still some kinks to work out.  Good ground game, generally good blocking, passing is the weak spot.  As long as the offense doesn't play behind the chains, the Greyhounds will be very difficult for Hoxie to beat. 

Hoxie's game against Cave City was an opportunity for the Mustangs to get back on track, and Trumann's not a bad team.  Still, Newport is going to be a major step up in competition from anything that Hoxie has seen thus far.  I don't believe in point spreads for high school teams, but Newport will be a strong favorite in this matchup.

Mike Bonds

Hard to say with Piggott at this point.  The Hazen win looked a little better in Week 1 than it does today, and the Portageville and Rector wins can't really tell us much.  This Friday's matchup with Osceola will be a good barometer for Piggott.

Oldhound56

Newport has thrown for 5 Touchdowns this year.  The QB throws a good ball and has been very close to connecting on big plays in every game.  If not for a couple of drops he would have close to 10 TD's through the air right now. 

I agree they have some tweaking to do, but with a 3 stud backfield that gives you power, speed, and agility it would be silly to get away from the run game.  However, everyone knows that with a good running game the passing game opens up.  They just have to take advantage of it when given the opportunity.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: Oldhound56 on September 19, 2017, 08:18:17 am
Newport has thrown for 5 Touchdowns this year.  The QB throws a good ball and has been very close to connecting on big plays in every game.  If not for a couple of drops he would have close to 10 TD's through the air right now. 

I agree they have some tweaking to do, but with a 3 stud backfield that gives you power, speed, and agility it would be silly to get away from the run game.  However, everyone knows that with a good running game the passing game opens up.  They just have to take advantage of it when given the opportunity.

Agree that running is the bread and butter, as it should be.  There were a couple of throws in that first half against Lonoke that Newport would like to have back, though.  It's not major stuff, and it's early, but there are still some issues to work out through the air.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Hound father on September 17, 2017, 06:26:09 pm
Didn't they say the junior high was playing for all the hurt people Friday night.

doesn't that make them ineligible for the rest of the jr high season? Or maybe ineligible for high school since they started the year playing jr high?

Hound father

Junior high players aren't playing it was a shot at the one that said we had everyone hurt.

Hound father

All starters but one will be back from my understanding

Leo Marvin

Quote from: Mike Bonds on September 18, 2017, 03:54:47 pm
Newport's defense is very, very good.  Extremely fast. 

Offensively, there are still some kinks to work out.  Good ground game, generally good blocking, passing is the weak spot.  As long as the offense doesn't play behind the chains, the Greyhounds will be very difficult for Hoxie to beat. 

Hoxie's game against Cave City was an opportunity for the Mustangs to get back on track, and Trumann's not a bad team.  Still, Newport is going to be a major step up in competition from anything that Hoxie has seen thus far.  I don't believe in point spreads for high school teams, but Newport will be a strong favorite in this matchup.

Very fair assessment of Newport so far.  The defense has been dominant enough to allow for some offensive miscues.  As the competition gets more difficult,  the offense is going to have to find some answers. 

sprained ankle

The Hounds are averaging 30 points a game. The offense must be doing something correct.

Leo Marvin

Quote from: sprained ankle on September 20, 2017, 05:41:17 pm
The Hounds are averaging 30 points a game. The offense must be doing something correct.

The defense has been great about handing the ball right back to the offense,  so far.  The offense has had trouble making the other team pay for poor offensive production.  in other words, if the offense can rise to the level of the defense, Newport will be in business.  I think they can

Oldhound56

Cut down on a few penalties and we wouldn't be having this conversation.  The offense has had several drives start from inside their own 10 as well.  Gosnell had two or three drives Newport stopped inside the 10 and I know at Lonoke they had at least two that started inside the 10.  It is difficult to have drives of 90 plus yards at any level, but high school for sure.

I will say this, so far the defense has been dominant and if that continues the offense will work out their kinks and the Hounds will be dangerous.  However, this is a tough conference and it looks as though most teams are playing very well right now.  I for one can't wait for the rest of the season to play out.  I think the 3-3A will be well represented in the playoffs.

Leo Marvin

Newport is full of homerun hitters.  They should be a threat from anywhere on the field.  With the kind of offense that they want to run, the other team will have to respect the vertical passing game.  The qb is not a threat to run, so the defense will be keying on the running back.  Without a  running QB and not connecting on vertical passes,  good defenses will limit RB production.

Oldhound56

Newport has shown they are very capable of running the ball inside the tackles, but are very effective on the edge also.  A defense will have trouble limiting both.  You either keep a lot in the box and clog it up or you set the edge and try to turn everything in.  Lonoke put 7 in the box and Newport rushed for over 250 yards.   I agree the qb and receivers need to hit on a few of the vertical passes and it will soften the defense.  They have shown they can do this, but just need to be more consistent. 

It looks like Newport has done a better job protecting the QB.  They seem to have quick options when other teams blitz and they have hit some big plays.  As of week three, I don't remember the O-Line giving up any sacks.  I might be wrong, but they have done an outstanding job so far.

Leo Marvin

Oline has been solid.  That seemed to be a question mark coming into the season.  Hated to see the kid get hurt against Lonoke. 

whippersnapper

Hounds by 21. As the ole saying goes 3 things happen when you pass the ball, 2 of them being bad. Cox and Brodus kind of remind of the Turner/Crite tandem from a few years ago.

Gr3yhounds

The only way I see Hoxie overcoming Newport is to contain the outside if they contain the outside they have a shot. Hoxie doesn't do very well on outside run plays, I see Newport winning by how much they want, or how much coach Bradley wants them to score.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas