• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wynne v. Maumelle

Started by Chief_Osceola™, September 07, 2017, 03:14:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief_Osceola™

Of course I hope Maumelle wins, and I think the hornet is superior to the yellow jacket, but I'm not about to make a prediction, much for the same reason I no longer participate in the weekly polls.  Anyway, this thread isn't primarily about the game itself; no, I want to know the good places to eat in Wynne.

Then feel free to discuss the game. 

Pwil11

We just got a new place that just opened called Sams.  Heard it is pretty good.  The game should be a good one.  I think Wynne will win in a close one. 

tmycjy

Only time will tell for sure lol lol lol lol lol

Chief_Osceola™

Any eatin' suggestions tmycjy? So far the front runner is Sam's.

Overdahill

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 07, 2017, 03:14:13 pm
Of course I hope Maumelle wins, and I think the hornet is superior to the yellow jacket, but I'm not about to make a prediction, much for the same reason I no longer participate in the weekly polls.  Anyway, this thread isn't primarily about the game itself; no, I want to know the good places to eat in Wynne.

Then feel free to discuss the game.

Well with no prediction at least crow won't be on the menu  :D

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Overdahill on September 07, 2017, 04:55:18 pm
Well with no prediction at least crow won't be on the menu  :D

It's an acquired taste. I've had it plenty of times. Besides, if I pick my team to win it always ends badly. I'm a worse gambler than Clark Griswold. Also I'm not allowed to make picks or polls anymore.

On the other hand, if I were to pick Maumelle, it would be by 50. That way if I'm wrong I can play the 'I was trolling' card.

WTD

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 07, 2017, 04:34:43 pm
Kelly 's

PA Dad

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 07, 2017, 05:13:25 pm
It's an acquired taste. I've had it plenty of times. Besides, if I pick my team to win it always ends badly. I'm a worse gambler than Clark Griswold. Also I'm not allowed to make picks or polls anymore.

On the other hand, if I were to pick Maumelle, it would be by 50. That way if I'm wrong I can play the 'I was trolling' card.

I know the feeling.  I'm usually pretty good in picking PA, but if I pick other games I have an awful record.  On the other hand, I correctly predicted every game for the top ten last week so maybe I've turned the corner!

Nah, no chance, just a lucky week.

Go Postal

Now of course most people are picking Wynne for the win, but what if Maumelle pulls that upset.  Remember last weeks comeback by LRCA for instance.
I know that every team in the West will surely be rethinking their game strategy for when we play our last football game with the Hornets in this cycle. 

Thoughts?

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on September 07, 2017, 09:15:29 pm
Now of course most people are picking Wynne for the win, but what if Maumelle pulls that upset.  Remember last weeks comeback by LRCA for instance.
I know that every team in the West will surely be rethinking their game strategy for when we play our last football game with the Hornets in this cycle. 

Thoughts?

While I picked Wynne to win, I'm not convinced yet that Wynne is as good as they were last year.  They haven't looked good in the scrimmage or the first game.  I would not be terribly surprised by a Maumelle win.

I attach little significance to the Maumelle loss last week.  NLR, my alma mater, may be the best team in the state this year.

walkingguy72396

If you plan on eating at kelleys.  Last I heard they closed shop.

Jacketalum07

Kelly's closed their doors about a month ago. Sams is really good if you want fish or Cajun food or we have Colby's which is also pretty good. Hope y'all have a safe trip to wynne. Wynne wins 14-34

Maynard G Krebs

Intelligentsia

September 08, 2017, 08:22:54 am #13 Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:26:51 am by Intelligentsia
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 07, 2017, 04:34:43 pm

If you are going via Bald Knob, a burger and order of their lightly breaded french fries from the Bulldog restaurant are hard to beat.  You might also get a peach shortcake or ice cream for dessert.  If you call and place your order at Searcy they will have the burger and fries ready when you arrive.  I keep their number on speed dial for trips in that direction!!  501-724-5195 (I am not associated with the Bulldog in any manner, I just like their food and service)

Chief_Osceola™

September 08, 2017, 09:21:40 am #14 Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:25:35 am by Chief_Osceola™

BaseballPlayer11

Quote from: Intelligentsia on September 08, 2017, 08:22:54 am
If you are going via Bald Knob, a burger and order of their lightly breaded french fries from the Bulldog restaurant are hard to beat.  You might also get a peach shortcake or ice cream for dessert.  If you call and place your order at Searcy they will have the burger and fries ready when you arrive.  I keep their number on speed dial for trips in that direction!!  501-724-5195 (I am not associated with the Bulldog in any manner, I just like their food and service)

In Bald Knob theres possibly the best cajun restaurant in arkansas. realy good

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: BaseballPlayer11 on September 08, 2017, 01:09:21 pm
In Bald Knob theres possibly the best cajun restaurant in arkansas. realy good

Yep, I've been there, as well as Bulldog Burger.  Both are really good.  Unfortunately, I think I'm going via I-40.  I haven't checked Waze yet to be sure, but if I do end up going through that way I'll definitely go one or the other.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PA Dad on September 07, 2017, 09:20:35 pm
I attach little significance to the Maumelle loss last week.  NLR, my alma mater, may be the best team in the state this year.

They are really, really good.  I'll be surprised if they don't run the table and win the 7A title this year.

devildog53

Is the kid from Wynne that got hurt against Morrilton in the playoffs back? Never saw what his timetable was and was very impressed with him last year. I don't think he was a senior.

walkingguy72396

He is back, had a sack, one or two batted down passes and about a 30 yard pass reception

Chief_Osceola™

Ok, so now that I've had a couple of hours behind the dashboard to reflect, here are my post-game thoughts.

1. The reports of Wynne's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
2. #7 the fullback is a beast.
3. #9 the tight end/DE is also a beast.
4. Wynne is HUGE up front. Seeing those dudes makes me realize how undersized we are in the trenches.
5. I was pleased with some things we did tonight. I thought the offense moved the ball pretty well. We just weren't able to get any continuity or finish most of those drives.
6. The pick-6 late in the game was a great play by the DB who jumped the route.
7. The scuffle toward the end of the game was unfortunate. Our guy deserved to get tossed, but I can vouch that he's a good kid that got caught up in the moment. He was already frustrated, and he said the defender was pulling him down by his face mask. It doesn't excuse what happened after, but hopefully it provides a better perspective.
8. Wynne's secondary is a bit suspect. That was really the only weakness I saw, and 'weakness' is a relative term here.

Most importantly, I thought the honoring of the first responders at halftime was really cool. It was also a nice touch to mention FD4 by name and honor him posthumously.

That's about it. I think we'll be fine when conference play starts in 2 weeks. That's a tough 2 game stretch to open the season. The biggest thing going forward will be to keep the morale up.

PA Dad

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 09, 2017, 12:11:25 am
Ok, so now that I've had a couple of hours behind the dashboard to reflect, here are my post-game thoughts.

1. The reports of Wynne's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
2. #7 the fullback is a beast.
3. #9 the tight end/DE is also a beast.
4. Wynne is HUGE up front. Seeing those dudes makes me realize how undersized we are in the trenches.
5. I was pleased with some things we did tonight. I thought the offense moved the ball pretty well. We just weren't able to get any continuity or finish most of those drives.
6. The pick-6 late in the game was a great play by the DB who jumped the route.
7. The scuffle toward the end of the game was unfortunate. Our guy deserved to get tossed, but I can vouch that he's a good kid that got caught uhp in the moment. He was already frustrated, and he said the defender was pulling him down by his face mask. It doesn't excuse what happened after, but hopefully it provides a better perspective.
8. Wynne's secondary is a bit suspect. That was really the only weakness I saw, and 'weakness' is a relative term here.

Most importantly, I thought the honoring of the first responders at halftime was really cool. It was also a nice touch to mention FD4 by name and honor him posthumously.

That's about it. I think we'll be fine when conference play starts in 2 weeks. That's a tough 2 game stretch to open the season. The biggest thing going forward will be to keep the morale up.

Good analysis.

I'm really glad to hear that FD4 was honored.  He was a huge Wynne fan and a great FF poster.

I remember No. 7 from the championship game last year.  I agree, he is a beast.  Is he still playing both ways this year?

Chief_Osceola™

He may have played some on that side of the ball, but I don't think he plays both ways full-time. I could be wrong though; they had more than a few G.A.M.'s on that field.

Rick Swines

Chief,
How would you compare wynne to last year?  Offensively and defensively?

Chief_Osceola™

September 11, 2017, 10:14:20 am #24 Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:18:38 am by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: Rick Swines on September 11, 2017, 08:42:37 am
Chief,
How would you compare wynne to last year?  Offensively and defensively?

They are big up front on both sides of the ball.  That may have been the case last year, but I didn't notice the size discrepancy last year.  One thing I noticed was that at least 90% of the time, they ran the ball to the side the back was motioning to.  If the left halfback came in motion, they ran to the right, and vice versa.  They did mix it up a few plays in the 3rd quarter and run some counter option.  Their pass blocking wasn't as good as the run blocking.  We were able to get pressure every time their QB dropped back.  They did hit one big pass play in the red zone to big #9 on a blown coverage by one of our safeties.  Other than that, the main damage came from #7.  He had very few negative or minimal gain carries.  He's a load. 

As for their defense, I thought we moved the ball pretty well on them.  They are big, but our skill guys were able to get big chunks of yards in space.  Their secondary is suspect.  We changed quarterbacks at halftime and went from a run-pass option to more of a drop-back passing game.  We had some success doing that, which opened up the running game.  Like I said above, we were able to move the ball, but we were not able to capitalize when we got on their side of the field. 

All in all, I'd say they are similar to last year's team.  Probably a little better this year.  I'd say the key to beating them is to be physical on the defensive line and get penetration.  The few times we were able to do so we had success in stopping the option.  The problem was, we had no defense for the power sweeps.  On the other side, teams that can throw the ball consistently will give them fits. 

ViloniaEaglestoWMS

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 09, 2017, 12:11:25 amMost importantly, I thought the honoring of the first responders at halftime was really cool. It was also a nice touch to mention FD4 by name and honor him posthumously.

That's a nice gesture they did.  Those men, and women, put it on the line in Houston and now in Florida.

Wynne misses him.  FD4/Fred was an outstanding man, a man you could teach your boys to be like as an example of what a man looks like and how a man carries himself.

He is sorely, & sincerely missed.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas