• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5a state predictions

Started by Lion_panther1, May 06, 2017, 09:20:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion_panther1

Who are your picks in 5a state tournament?

The Green Arrow

Greenbrier, and then everyone else. It's theirs to lose IMO. 3 of the top probably 6 players in the state wear their uniform.

RedLion

WoodenBat

Quote from: The Green Arrow on May 08, 2017, 09:39:36 am
Greenbrier, and then everyone else. It's theirs to lose IMO. 3 of the top probably 6 players in the state wear their uniform.

I've heard of P. Wallace but who are the others.?

Genoacentral2

Chief_Osceola™

You could put 5-6 teams in a hat, randomly select one, and make a good argument for why that team could win it. There is a lot of parity this year in 5A, and the overall talent level is really high.

The Green Arrow

Quote from: WoodenBat on May 08, 2017, 10:40:39 am
I've heard of P. Wallace but who are the others.?

His younger brother, who is a freshman and already been offered by several SEC schools, and Hunter Milligan who is going to play on the hill.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: The Green Arrow on May 08, 2017, 11:33:46 am
His younger brother, who is a freshman and already been offered by several SEC schools, and Hunter Milligan who is going to play on the hill.

Milligan isn't pitching right now though. He's only DH'ing. They've lost a couple of pitchers for the season so depth on the mound could be an issue.

Chin Music

Since they didn't win their conference they are certainly not as big a favorite as you state.  They draw a potential matchup with Sylvan Hills in Round 2.  One very good team and title contender is going home early.

blue4hire

GB is good but injuries have really brought them back to the pack. They aren't even a 1 seed.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Chin Music on May 08, 2017, 11:56:25 am
Since they didn't win their conference they are certainly not as big a favorite as you state.  They draw a potential matchup with Sylvan Hills in Round 2.  One very good team and title contender is going home early.

Sylvan Hills, along with Vilonia, may be the toughest lineup(s) 1-9 in 5A.

Chin Music

Watson Chapel may have the best two pitchers on the same team.  They draw LRCA in round 1.  LRCA has two very good pitchers as well.  I really thought LRCA could make a run but they are not a strong offensive team if you pitch around the 3 hole hitter.  I like Chapel with Arnold and Hill getting to the semis and then losing to Vilonia.

I like Sylvan Hills coming from the other side but you have to give Magnolia respect.  They have a couple of kids that just refuse to lose.

ZoneBuster

Greenbrier has probably had the most talent for the past 3 years and has won how many state tourney games 1 or 2 in that time?

What's up with Milligan? Surprised the hogs took a chance on him with his injury history.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: ZoneBuster on May 08, 2017, 03:17:08 pm
Greenbrier has probably had the most talent for the past 3 years and has won how many state tourney games 1 or 2 in that time?

What's up with Milligan? Surprised the hogs took a chance on him with his injury history.

Shoulder soreness I think, so he was shut down for the remainder of the spring.  When he's healthy, he's every bit a high D1 SEC-caliber pitcher.  I believe the thought is that he will recover from the shoulder stuff and get healthy when he reports in the fall. 

Then again, I may be totally off - just what I've heard through the grapevine.  I just know he didn't throw against Maumelle, and hasn't pitched any since maybe the spring break tournament in Gulf Shores.

2fe

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on May 08, 2017, 04:06:30 pm
Shoulder soreness I think, so he was shut down for the remainder of the spring.  When he's healthy, he's every bit a high D1 SEC-caliber pitcher.  I believe the thought is that he will recover from the shoulder stuff and get healthy when he reports in the fall. 

Then again, I may be totally off - just what I've heard through the grapevine.  I just know he didn't throw against Maumelle, and hasn't pitched any since maybe the spring break tournament in Gulf Shores.

The Hogs got him before the shoulder problems.  I've heard it's worse than just "shoulder soreness".

GCT beat Harrison.

Rick Swines

Is there someone to follow on twitter at the games with updates or a gamecast to follow? 

blue4hire

Quote from: Rick Swines on May 11, 2017, 12:51:45 pm
Is there someone to follow on twitter at the games with updates or a gamecast to follow?
@pbr_arkansas
@shhsallen

Eastbay501

LRCA knocked out Watson Chapel 2-0. LRCA still has their ace left and look ready to roll deep into the playoffs.

Pintailkiller

Quote from: Eastbay501 on May 12, 2017, 07:33:04 am
LRCA knocked out Watson Chapel 2-0. LRCA still has their ace left and look ready to roll deep into the playoffs.

Who is their ace?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Pintailkiller on May 15, 2017, 02:30:58 pm
Who is their ace?

On paper it is Shoptaw, but I don't know if he's thrown any this spring.  Had some arm issues I believe, but Chin Music can correct me if I'm wrong.

Chin Music

May 15, 2017, 06:52:32 pm #20 Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:10:50 am by Chin Music
Shoptaw did not pitch early in the season which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as that made Jacob Wagner take the #1 spot.  Wagner pitched the Watson Chapel game.  Shoptaw pitched the Green County Tech game.  Rain allowed Wagner to pitch on short rest and he pitched his butt off against Vilonia. 

Both kids are juniors.  LRCA has basically everybody back with a sophomore catcher that is a stud as well as  a few other good pieces.

I'm proud of our guys but honestly Vilonia was the better team.  We had our chances.  Vilonia ended up taking advantage of one more than we did.  Hats off to them.  Magnolia will have their hands full.

EagleProud

It was a great game!  Hard fought by both teams and they should be proud. 

EagleProud

Just a note...the catcher for Little Rock Christian got the ball our senior right fielder hit to win the game and gave it to our coach to give to him after the game. I'm not sure who he is, but that is an awesome show of sportsmanship and his parents have raised him right and coaches have done well...very proud of this young man.  It was a great game and awesome effort from both teams.

Chin Music

The LRCA catcher is sophomore Cason Tollett.  He is a Razorback commit and a kid we can one day all cheer for.

ZoneBuster

All those D1 guys and no title for brier in 4 years. That shows how tough it is to win a baseball championship.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas