• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NEA Baseball

Started by OB11, March 02, 2017, 10:48:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OB11

There is a lot of good baseball in this part of the state.  Feel free to discuss any scores, teams, topics throughout the season with teams from NEA here. 

Nomad1324

It does seem that there are pockets of really strong baseball throughout the state. NEA definitely can hold their own in 6A and 5A. On down it gets a little more sporadic, but often there will be good cycles for schools at the smaller levels.

I'm interested to see who steps up this year in the smaller divisions.

OB11

Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 02, 2017, 01:15:13 pm
It does seem that there are pockets of really strong baseball throughout the state. NEA definitely can hold their own in 6A and 5A. On down it gets a little more sporadic, but often there will be good cycles for schools at the smaller levels.

I'm interested to see who steps up this year in the smaller divisions.

I'd counter that with Armorel.  They have been a dominant 1A team for a while.

Nomad1324

March 02, 2017, 01:46:27 pm #3 Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:51:18 pm by Nomad1324
Quote from: OB11 on March 02, 2017, 01:45:42 pm
I'd counter that with Armorel.  They have been a dominant 1A team for a while.

Extremely good point, Coach Brown does a great job down there.

Who do you have as the best team in the six classifications from this area? I don't really have a great feel on the teams this year.

OB11

Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 02, 2017, 01:46:27 pm

Yes he does.  NEA has a lot of good baseball coaches that know the game.

ricepig

Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 02, 2017, 01:46:27 pm

Who do you have as the best team in the six classifications from this area? I don't really have a great feel on the teams this year.

Depends on what your definition of NEA is??? In 6A, Searcy would join Jonesboro as the top two, followed by Marion and WM. In 5A, GCT, VV, Wynne, or Nettleton usually play pretty evenly, usually a dog fight. In 4A, Gosnell, Poky, Trumann. In 3A, Manila, WR, Newport. I really don't have any idea on 2A or 1A, except agreeing that Armorel is always there in 1A, it seems.

2aball

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 02:02:03 pm
Depends on what your definition of NEA is??? In 6A, Searcy would join Jonesboro as the top two, followed by Marion and WM. In 5A, GCT, VV, Wynne, or Nettleton usually play pretty evenly, usually a dog fight. In 4A, Gosnell, Poky, Trumann. In 3A, Manila, WR, Newport. I really don't have any idea on 2A or 1A, except agreeing that Armorel is always there in 1A, it seems.

From recent history in 2A, it would be teams like McCrrory (if you consider that NEA), BIC, EPC. 1A would Armorel is cream of the crop around here, Bay is pretty good themselves.

I'd throw Rivercrest in on the 3A because they've won that conference quite a few times in the past 5-6 years, maybe every year. I'd definitely put Riverside in there too. They may be the best of the bunch in NEA 3A.

ricepig

Quote from: 2aball on March 02, 2017, 02:21:45 pm
From recent history in 2A, it would be teams like McCrrory (if you consider that NEA), BIC, EPC. 1A would Armorel is cream of the crop around here, Bay is pretty good themselves.

I'd throw Rivercrest in on the 3A because they've won that conference quite a few times in the past 5-6 years, maybe every year. I'd definitely put Riverside in there too. They may be the best of the bunch in NEA 3A.

I've got no complaints on those additions, I don't see much of the 3A and lower schools play, so it looks like good competition.

OB11

I think Riverside and Manila will be the best 3A teams in that conference this year.

2aball

Quote from: OB11 on March 02, 2017, 03:12:57 pm
I think Riverside and Manila will be the best 3A teams in that conference this year.

I agree. Should be a good battle between those two for the top spot.

OB11

Gosnell should be the best 4A team in that combined conference. 

MrBackup10

Pocahontas is very young. Give them a year or two. They have the potential to be a title contender with the kids that are in 8th, 9th, and 10th grade right now.

Redwolves8526

Have seen Gosnell and Armorel this year. Both very solid

OB11

Gosnell plays at Jonesboro today. Should be a good test for them.

NEA Razorback olfan

After 1
Valley View 0
Brookland 3

NEA Razorback olfan

After 3
Vv 1
Brookland 3

NEA Razorback olfan

After 4
Vv 2
Brookland 4

NEA Razorback olfan

NEA Razorback olfan

NEAscout100

Sloan 2a beat Newport 15-5

T-Bone

March 03, 2017, 08:41:11 pm #20 Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:40:04 pm by T-Bone
Jonesboro 9
Gosnell 1

Jonesboro pitched 4 pitchers to break in slow at start of season 1 SO 2 innings / 1 SO 2 innings (6 batters =2GO/4K) / 1 JR 1 inning / 1 SO 2 innings.  Plus Jonesboro had 9 hits.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 03, 2017, 08:41:11 pm
Jonesboro 9
Gosnell 1

Jonesboro pitched 4 pitchers to break in slow at start of season 1 SO 2 innings / 1 SO 2 innings (6 batters =2GO/4K) / 1 JR 1 inning / 1 SO 2 innings.  Plus Jonesboro had 9 hits.

Your son pitched well.    ;D

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 03, 2017, 10:08:01 pm
Your son pitched well.    ;D

Thank you.  He did do well tonight.  Which one was mine?  All of them did well and the hitting was better overall.  I hate cold baseball and that was cooler than I like.  Second game was getting colder.  I like what Coach Dobson is doing with the players.  He is really trying to spread them out with play time between VR and JV.  All the kids need play time early in season for sure.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 03, 2017, 10:28:07 pm
Thank you.  He did do well tonight.  Which one was mine?

The sophomore who plays football........ 8)

Nomad1324

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 03, 2017, 05:40:47 pm
Brookland 6
VV 4
F

Wow, sounds like the Bearcats have had a good week.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 04, 2017, 02:57:19 pm
Wow, sounds like the Bearcats have had a good week.

Thanks, we have a good group that works hard.
Coach has been working on a deeper pitching staff.
And we are about  2-deep at every position.
We have Gosnell , Westside, Armorel, and Pottsville next week, weather permitting.

ricepig

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 04, 2017, 03:33:30 pm
We have Gosnell , Westside, Armorel, and Pottsville next week, weather permitting.

Wow, 1/3 of your allowed regular season games in 2 weeks. Of course, weather permitting is the key word.

Nomad1324

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 04:27:23 pm
Wow, 1/3 of your allowed regular season games in 2 weeks. Of course, weather permitting is the key word.

Just looking at MaxPreps, three of those games from this past week were part of a tournament.

NEA Razorback olfan

March 04, 2017, 07:13:41 pm #28 Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:16:11 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 04, 2017, 07:08:24 pm
Just looking at MaxPreps, three of those games from this past week were part of a tournament.

Yes Sir,
Nettleton Spring kick-off
Valley View was added when Riverside cancelled because of State Basketball.

ricepig

Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 04, 2017, 07:08:24 pm

Ok, that makes sense. I didn't see it listed in the paper as a classic. Oh, and I think that 22 regular season games is ridiculously too low, but that's another thread.

NEA Razorback olfan

Ya, not sure if we will get 3/7  conference game in with Gosnell because of weather. Glenn and Roberts matchup will be a good one.
We host Westside 3/9

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 09:13:19 am
The sophomore who plays football........ 8)

All three sophomores pitching first game play football.

Nomad1324

Quote from: ricepig on March 04, 2017, 07:36:22 pm
Ok, that makes sense. I didn't see it listed in the paper as a classic. Oh, and I think that 22 regular season games is ridiculously too low, but that's another thread.

Yeah the length of seasons vs number of games is a little out of whack. Could go round the bend with AAA decisions...lol

Nomad1324

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 04, 2017, 03:33:30 pm

Just realized that says Pottsville, that's a heckuva way to go for a non conference game that isn't part of a tournament.

NEA Razorback olfan

Quote from: Nomad1324 on March 04, 2017, 11:10:55 pm
Just realized that says Pottsville, that's a heckuva way to go for a non conference game that isn't part of a tournament.

No sir, it's a 1pm game Saturday
That was my thought also, so im not really sure why we are going 3hrs to go play, I know in regionals you may have to travel for hrs-, state also.
Coach may want the team to go compete in unfamiliar territory.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 04, 2017, 08:38:40 pm
All three sophomores pitching first game play football.

Well, isn't it obvious, the best one!

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 09:59:05 am
Well, isn't it obvious, the best one!

No sir.  We are a team and every one of them contribute in some way or another.  Some good days and some bad days but they are a team and the only way they can repeat what they did last year is for them all to keep contributing and work out some kinks.  The bats being the main kink but that will come.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 05, 2017, 10:23:40 am
No sir.  We are a team and every one of them contribute in some way or another.  Some good days and some bad days but they are a team and the only way they can repeat what they did last year is for them all to keep contributing and work out some kinks.  The bats being the main kink but that will come.

Well, those three sophomores that pitched aren't equal in talent, I'll just leave it at that. I understand the team concept, doesn't mean some aren't counted on more than others for production. Oh, 89 on the gun Friday.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 10:50:01 am
Well, those three sophomores that pitched aren't equal in talent, I'll just leave it at that. I understand the team concept, doesn't mean some aren't counted on more than others for production. Oh, 89 on the gun Friday.

They all contribute to the team.

A little cold for all pitchers that night.  Ready to see what can be done on the mound when it heats up a little. 

NEA Razorback olfan

March 05, 2017, 12:54:53 pm #39 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:56:31 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 10:50:01 am

Great job,  89 is impressive for a soph, when we played Nettleton thursday night PJ Hilson hit 90 on their radar gun.

T-Bone

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on March 05, 2017, 12:54:53 pm
Great job,  89 is impressive for a soph, when we played Nettleton thursday night PJ Hilson hit 90 on their radar gun.

Yes PJ has an arm. He also comes from a great family.   PJ and these other boys have been playing together for many years from LL type to travel ball.  It is fun to see these young men grow up and play against one another in high school.  There is a slight chance you may see PJ and the others against one another this coming Friday at Nettleton.  Just not sure since JHS has a game Tuesday then Friday and then play Christian Brothers that next Tuesday.  We do have plenty of pitching so not sure what they will do since pitch count and days of rest off the mound are a high priority.

NEA Razorback olfan

Yes sir, I agree there is a lot of talent in this area.
I've met PJ Mom, and CJ Dad, wonderful people.
Brookland has some Sophs and a freshman that are getting PT.

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 05, 2017, 01:35:59 pm
Yes PJ has an arm. He also comes from a great family.   PJ and these other boys have been playing together for many years from LL type to travel ball.  It is fun to see these young men grow up and play against one another in high school.  There is a slight chance you may see PJ and the others against one another this coming Friday at Nettleton.  Just not sure since JHS has a game Tuesday then Friday and then play Christian Brothers that next Tuesday.  We do have plenty of pitching so not sure what they will do since pitch count and days of rest off the mound are a high priority.

You'll probably see the JHS/Nettleton game moved from Friday. Jonesboro drew the 3:30 time slot for their championship finals, so I expect them to move this game up, or back.

T-Bone

Quote from: ricepig on March 05, 2017, 02:51:42 pm
You'll probably see the JHS/Nettleton game moved from Friday. Jonesboro drew the 3:30 time slot for their championship finals, so I expect them to move this game up, or back.

Why would anyone make them play a game so early on a weekday when it will be hard for many to attend 3 plus hours from home?  I expect many people on the Jonesboro side to miss work and many students to miss school. 

ricepig

Quote from: T-Bone on March 05, 2017, 08:16:15 pm
Why would anyone make them play a game so early on a weekday when it will be hard for many to attend 3 plus hours from home?  I expect many people on the Jonesboro side to miss work and many students to miss school.

Yeah, that's the AAA, although in their defense, they do have to rotate the classifications, and when they play. I'm sure a ticket stub returned on Monday will result in an excused absence, it has in the past.

Nomad1324

Looks like the Spring Weather finally found NEA, cue the rescheduling.

Head Lion

Manila's schedule this week Tuesday Westside @ home, Thursday @ Riverside & Friday Walnut Ridge @ home.

Nomad1324

Quote from: Head Lion on March 06, 2017, 12:43:58 pm
Manila's schedule this week Tuesday Westside @ home, Thursday @ Riverside & Friday Walnut Ridge @ home.

Lions jumping with both feet Head Lion?

How's the Jr High looking over there?

OB11

Jonesboro's game for Friday against Nettleton has been moved to Thursday.

Nomad1324

Quote from: OB11 on March 06, 2017, 12:58:58 pm
Jonesboro's game for Friday against Nettleton has been moved to Thursday.

Had to figure it would be.

Figure Hilson will lock it up against the Neves (spelling?) kid?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas