• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lamar vs. Charleston

Started by xadboy, February 24, 2017, 11:47:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

I will say this though I would not be surprised to see Lamar vs Charleston in the finals!!

frederick lee

Quote from: xadboy on February 26, 2017, 10:37:04 am
Not sure about 2018, but 2017 looks good. We have 3 five star coming to enroll in the fall. Every one lives in our (5 bedroom house close to the school), so we are ligit coming 17/18.

I thought it was 5 xadboy..

BigMan15

All joking aside Congrats to Lamar! They are a good team and should do some damage this year in state! I'll be pulling for them along with the other teams in our region.

frederick lee

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 26, 2017, 09:44:01 am
Look at Ross's track record! He is a very good coach and we do it the right way.He develops the players we have, we don't just go get new ones. Although just out of curiosity how is the recruiting class of 2018 looking for Lamar? Do all the recruits live with you or do you guys set them up with housing. BTW how much is the recruiting services of Freddie Lee and where is y'all office Lamar or Russellville or Clarksville?

His track record is this  GOT BEAT BY BOONEVILLE 2 times.. I REALLY DONT NEED TO SAY ANYTHING ELSE.. Talk all the recruit talk you want everyone knows how y'all get down in CHS..He is an non coaching idiot... He prove my point last night. Stop crying and start coaching..

Brian G

Quote from: frederick lee on February 26, 2017, 11:21:09 am
His track record is this  GOT BEAT BY BOONEVILLE 2 times.. I REALLY DONT NEED TO SAY ANYTHING ELSE.. Talk all the recruit talk you want everyone knows how y'all get down in CHS..He is an non coaching idiot... He prove my point last night. Stop crying and start coaching..

"Idiot" is over the line here. 

Dial it back.  Immediately.

WarriorFan

Quote from: B.G. on February 26, 2017, 11:30:36 am
"Idiot" is over the line here. 

Dial it back.  Immediately.

LOL Freddy got slapped on the hand

mountainmangrizzly

This stuff is hilarious,  all that really matters is talent wise Lamar is the better team and Fenner got shut down, plain and simple, yes he's a great ball player but sometimes people get in your head and that's exactly what happened. Wasn't sure on this Lamar team but when they play together they hard to beat., its just that simple.

BigMan15

Quote from: frederick lee on February 26, 2017, 11:21:09 am
Didn't Lamar lose to Lavaca by 20 ???

ChucktownTiger

When did this praying after the games together start? Why is it a big deal if one team didn't wanna pray with the other. Lamar is somewhat of a rival in BBall. Why in the world would you go out and put ur arm around your rivals neck at center court and pray? That's the last thing I wanted to do after playing Lavaca or Paris in Football. Sure wasn't a reason to boo. It's kinda funny that Lamar fans are upset because we didn't wanna pray with them but as soon as they're done praying they boo and act like fools when we are accepting the second place trophy. First time I've ever seen that. The hypocrisy of them acting like that after finishing up their prayer is hilarious and sad.

As far as the game goes. I won't even get into the refs. Not blaming them for the loss but those guys were bad! Lamar won and deserved it Saturday night. Both teams played hard and hopefully will see each other again.

B Ray

Through out this whole Regional , the refs appeared to below par , especially for the finals you would think the assignor would use his best , then again maybe he did.   

macadoshis

February 26, 2017, 01:34:04 pm #60 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:44:42 pm by macadoshis
Three quick points.  Basketball is not my expertise for sure.  But, first on the prayer.  I have no problem if the team chooses not to pray. I think what Lamar fans were upset about was  the Charleston player that chose to go pray with Lamar and was yelled at to get back over here and wasn't allowed to do so.  That'll all I'll say on that.  Second, as far as recruiting goes, you guys have had to deal with being accused as long as I have been watching sports.  Just recently supposedly having Greenwood kids.  You guys know I'm as big a Tigers fan as there is that isn't ChuckTown.  I've taken up for y'all for years so when the shoes on the other foot, don't turn around and do the same things you have had to defend all this time.  Lastly, the refs were bad.  Both ways I thought.  I don't think officials had anything to do with the outcome of the game.  Charleston has a great team and I'm sure will do deep this week.   Baseball starts next week so I'll be moving on to another board.  See all my friens Thursday. 

macadoshis

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 26, 2017, 11:13:00 am
All joking aside Congrats to Lamar! They are a good team and should do some damage this year in state! I'll be pulling for them along with the other teams in our region.
+1

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: macadoshis on February 26, 2017, 01:34:04 pm
Three quick points.  Basketball is not my expertise for sure.  But, first on the prayer.  I have no problem if the team chooses not to pray. I think what Lamar fans were upset about was  the Charleston player that chose to go pray with Lamar and was yelled at to get back over here and wasn't allowed to do so.  That'll all I'll say on that.  Second, as far as recruiting goes, you guys have had to deal with being accused as long as I have been watching sports.  Just recently supposedly having Greenwood kids.  You guys know I'm as big a Tigers fan as there is that isn't ChuckTown.  I've taken up for y'all for years so when the shoes on the other foot, don't turn around and do the same things you have had to defend all this time.  Lastly, the refs were bad.  Both ways I thought.  I don't think officials had anything to do with the outcome of the game.  Charleston has a great team and I'm sure will do deep this week.   Baseball starts next week so I'll be moving on to another board.  See all my friens Thursday.

I think the issue was Ross didn't want anything happening. It was a long heated game. Lots of things were said, tempers were hot.

WarriorFan

All this talk about Charleston not wanting to pray with Lamar because it was a heated game and BJs Ross wanted to protect his kids. Why didn't they pray with Perryville after their game. I just read this big explanation on his facebook page, he states it was a heated game with many emotions, and he didnt want to put his team in a position where things cold get out of hand. Question #1 Would they have prayed at center court if they would have won, Lamar would have win or lose.  Question #2 Why would he think things would get out of hand? because he cant control his emotions on the side lines,or his kids cant control their emotions on the court. 3 technical fouls in two games. I seen many times lamar players try to help up Charleston kids and they either slapped the Lamar players hands away or just ignored the help. #12 did this many times. Looks like to me, players just acting like their  coach.

TheTruth2010

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 26, 2017, 12:56:10 pm
Didn't Lamar lose to Lavaca by 20 ???
They did, but what did that game mean exactly? Has there never been a team that had an off night got beat and won state? I mean Charleston has lost 10 games this year and 2 of them are to Lamar.

MICHAELSPAPPY

February 26, 2017, 03:36:43 pm #65 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:23:41 pm by MICHAELSPAPPY

WarriorFan

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on February 26, 2017, 03:36:43 pm
Oh?! I know for a fact he recruited your point guard from another school.

Details MICHAELSPAPPY? This might be good to know before state tournament starts.

fbisgreat

Quote from: WarriorFan on February 26, 2017, 03:39:36 pm
Details MICHAELSPAPPY? This might be good to know before state tournament starts.
[/quote He is a home school kid .Didn't go to any other school.His sister plays on the girls team.

MICHAELSPAPPY

February 26, 2017, 03:46:56 pm #68 Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 04:24:06 pm by MICHAELSPAPPY

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: TheTruth2010 on February 26, 2017, 03:05:19 pm
They did, but what did that game mean exactly? Has there never been a team that had an off night got beat and won state? I mean Charleston has lost 10 games this year and 2 of them are to Lamar.

On their better nights, Lavaca is pretty salty. Better than most 3A teams.

BigLion10

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BigLion10 on February 26, 2017, 04:32:09 pm
Lavaca is a 4 seed

Got beat pretty bad by a 2a team I'd never heard of until this year too....

Hitman Warrior23

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 26, 2017, 11:13:00 am

AGREED!  Best of luck to yall in the tourney!

TheTruth2010

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 26, 2017, 04:37:05 pm
Got beat pretty bad by a 2a team I'd never heard of until this year too....
Oh well. Lavaca is a 4 seed, we better quit and give up because our season is over. Better tell Centerpoint their season is over To because jessieville is a four seed and already beat them twice this year. Y'all are funny, that game didn't mean anything and our seed had already been determined. By the way, who is the 1 seed out of region 1? Jw

mountainmangrizzly

Hey Horse feathers just curious....how many times did Charleston beat Lamar this year, just curious and how many tournaments did Charleston win this year .....a bad night is a bad night but I'm thinking wins and loses ratio favor that Lamar team pretty good,js.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: mountainmangrizzly on February 26, 2017, 06:17:50 pm
Hey Horse feathers just curious....how many times did Charleston beat Lamar this year, just curious and how many tournaments did Charleston win this year .....a bad night is a bad night but I'm thinking wins and loses ratio favor that Lamar team pretty good,js.

Who said Lamar wasn't good? Wasn't me....Only complaint I had about Lamar in the game I watched was they didn't call the dogs off while up 20 and the other team had pulled the starters....But that's not important now

Was just stating lavaca wasn't a good team to make a reference or argument with

frederick lee

Quote from: WarriorFan on February 26, 2017, 11:38:34 am
LOL Freddy got slapped on the hand

LOL YEAP...
What a lot of y'all didn't see was Ross scathing the ball out of one of our players hands. Him yelling at them to get on there side of the court. On top of all that people in the stands yelling take the trophy back to Russellville... CAN I SAY CLASSLESS. ITS JUST A GAME COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!

TheTruth2010

I guess if we have to take ours to Russellville, They have to bring theirs to greenwood.

AlumniLights

So I heard Lamar and Charleston had a game this weekend? ha   This has been an ongoing basketball rivalry for a little over a decade now, glad to see the fire is still lit!

AlumniLights

Quote from: macadoshis on February 26, 2017, 01:34:04 pm
Three quick points.  Basketball is not my expertise for sure.  But, first on the prayer.  I have no problem if the team chooses not to pray. I think what Lamar fans were upset about was  the Charleston player that chose to go pray with Lamar and was yelled at to get back over here and wasn't allowed to do so.  That'll all I'll say on that.  Second, as far as recruiting goes, you guys have had to deal with being accused as long as I have been watching sports.  Just recently supposedly having Greenwood kids.  You guys know I'm as big a Tigers fan as there is that isn't ChuckTown.  I've taken up for y'all for years so when the shoes on the other foot, don't turn around and do the same things you have had to defend all this time. Lastly, the refs were bad.  Both ways I thought.  I don't think officials had anything to do with the outcome of the game.  Charleston has a great team and I'm sure will do deep this week.   Baseball starts next week so I'll be moving on to another board.  See all my friens Thursday.

Wait Mac, you guys didn't have ol' Adapted trotting up and down the court did you?

smallybells

Look at Ross's track record! He is a very good coach and we do it the right way.He develops the players we have, we don't just go get new ones. Although just out of curiosity how is the recruiting class of 2018 looking for Lamar? Do all the recruits live with you or do you guys set them up with housing. BTW how much is the recruiting services of Freddie Lee and where is y'all office Lamar or Russellville or Clarksville?

Come on BigMan, there is soooo much irony in this statement. Charleston shouldn't be calling anyone out for "move ins" or district lines, lol.

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: WarriorFan on February 26, 2017, 02:43:49 pm
All this talk about Charleston not wanting to pray with Lamar because it was a heated game and BJs Ross wanted to protect his kids. Why didn't they pray with Perryville after their game. I just read this big explanation on his facebook page, he states it was a heated game with many emotions, and he didnt want to put his team in a position where things cold get out of hand. Question #1 Would they have prayed at center court if they would have won, Lamar would have win or lose.  Question #2 Why would he think things would get out of hand? because he cant control his emotions on the side lines,or his kids cant control their emotions on the court. 3 technical fouls in two games. I seen many times lamar players try to help up Charleston kids and they either slapped the Lamar players hands away or just ignored the help. #12 did this many times. Looks like to me, players just acting like their  coach.

Why was it so important to you that the opposing team came out and prayed with you? The answer is no....win or lose they wouldn't be there.

dentist15

February 27, 2017, 09:18:00 am #82 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:50:11 am by dentist15
Look at Ross's track record! He is a very good coach and we do it the right way.He develops the players we have, we don't just go get new ones.

Well for his "track record", he was involved in a "high profile" transfer situation back when he was the head girls coach at Charleston, when one of the best girls players to come through Lavaca transferred to Charleston her junior year after Ross coached her in the Top 25 camp. There was no real reason for the transfer other than sports (academics between Lavaca and Charleston were equal), and she still lived in Lavaca even after her transfer. And the Lavaca/Charleston rivalry was pretty big back then. And as previously mentioned, there are the more recent transfer/move-in situations

As for his development of existing players, he does do a good job there, but you can't just pretend that he hasn't had the benefit of "move-ins" who he hasn't had to develop, and that he's made talent where there was none (and Charleston has had tons of talent, to the level where any coach could be well over .500 most seasons, at a minimum....not to say the coaches they've had haven't improved that talent [which they all have done], just that in a decent number of seasons, they had enough talent where the coach could just roll the ball out and they would've won conference/district with no problem and finish at least top 2 in region and go to state and win at least a game or two).

AlumniLights

Quote from: dentist15 on February 27, 2017, 09:18:00 am
Well for his "track record", he was involved in a "high profile" transfer situation back when he was the head girls coach at Charleston, when one of the best girls players to come through Lavaca transferred to Charleston her junior year after Ross coached her in the Top 25 camp. There was no real reason for the transfer other than sports (academics between Lavaca and Charleston were equal), and she still lived in Lavaca even after her transfer. And the Lavaca/Charleston rivalry was pretty big back then. And as previously mentioned, there are the more recent transfer/move-in situations

As for his development of existing players, he does do a good job there, but you can't just pretend that he hasn't had the benefit of "move-ins" who he hasn't had to develop, and that he's made talent where there was none

Dentist, you can't just bring that stuff back up! She was the reason our girls were "Stout" for 2 more years!

dentist15

Quote from: AlumniLights on February 27, 2017, 10:48:11 am
Dentist, you can't just bring that stuff back up! She was the reason our girls were "Stout" for 2 more years!

Haha, touche.

YC

February 27, 2017, 11:17:55 am #85 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:08:17 pm by YC
Quote from: ChucktownTiger on February 27, 2017, 09:14:19 am
Why was it so important to you that the opposing team came out and prayed with you? The answer is no....win or lose they wouldn't be there.

Yes, why is it so important to conduct the post game prayer at center court and expect the opponent to do likewise? Why not just go to your bench area post game and conduct your prayer there or perhaps even better wait until you go to your dressing room?  If an opponent chooses to not participate that's their right to do so. It was most likely a good idea for the team not to participate. As stated in earlier post, with all the shoving, mouthing, and taunting going on during the game tempers were very short.

All this would be downright funny if it were not so sad and embarrassing. I'm a Christian and pray several times daily. I do my praying in privacy—just I and The Lord—except when asked to deliver the prayer during worship services or meal time prayers. I try to follow the instructions Jesus gave on prayer we find in Matt 6: 5-6.

The Charleston fans made a huge mistake by retailing. I know it's difficult to remain silent when your kids are booed unmercifully after said prayer and again when they were presented with the runner-up trophy. The Charleston fans should not have done likewise when Lamar was presented theirs.

The officiating was horrid and that most likely attributed to that sad state of affairs. The basketball assigner (basketball and football have different assigners) for this area was in attendance (I know because I saw him). I have to wonder how he graded that group of officials.  Knowing who that assigner is I think I know the answer.

macadoshis

I've got zero problem with move ins.  You can't blame a kid for wanting to play for a tradition rich winning program and a Coach that is a winner.  Especially if you're a talented athlete and you want to play with other kids of equal talent.   Yes the coach benefits from having all this talent on one team but that's not their fault. Other schools don't have to like it but it is what it is. 

dentist15

February 27, 2017, 02:02:43 pm #87 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:05:36 pm by dentist15
Quote from: macadoshis on February 27, 2017, 01:51:16 pm
I've got zero problem with move ins.  You can't blame a kid for wanting to play for a tradition rich winning program and a Coach that is a winner.  Especially if you're a talented athlete and you want to play with other kids of equal talent.   Yes the coach benefits from having all this talent on one team but that's not their fault. Other schools don't have to like it but it is what it is.

I agree, it doesn't bother me at all either, as like you said "it is what it is" and "school choice" is the rule (I transferred my junior year, to follow my dad who was a coach, even though we didn't live in the district of the school I graduated from). And I agree that it's not the Coach's fault, but don't confuse talent moving in with a coach developing talent (I'm not accusing Ross or anyone, and Ross's W/L speaks for itself anyways, and I fully agree playing on a winning team is attractive....just making a general point) (there are coaches that discourage move-ins/transfers, without the prospective player talking to their current coach first.....just as there are coaches that encourage opposing players to transfer). You just don't see talented players move in/transfer to a larger school where the competition level is better very often, its usually moving to a smaller school or a school within the classification that has more talent where it is easier to win....

AlumniLights

It seems everyone wants to raise all kinds of heck when the team gets a transfer, and it brings them success. I like the post. Who wouldn't want to go to a smaller school, or better school within their division to achieve success. I mean, lets think about it, would a kid that went to Hartford and was a good ball player want to get beat on game after game, or just go down the road and play for Branham when they were stout? The same can be said for Greenwood/Charleston. If a kid is not getting the time he wants on the field, and wants to be a stud, Charleston's a short drive. I've seen Hackett football players take their talents to Greenwood, and become amazing athletes. Sure he would have been a stud at Hackett, but lets be realistic here...Dentist, i'm sure your move also benefited you, it is just fortunate you got to follow pops! Had you just transferred without said reason, people would have been up in arms about it.

RTF

You could argue.. is it actually making you better to transfer from a bigger school, where you do not get any playing time, to a smaller school? I would say Playing with kids that are better than you and competing against them would make you better if you are truly that competitive.

AlumniLights

True statement RTF, depends on what kind of fella you are. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

BigMan15

Quote from: RTF on February 27, 2017, 04:01:40 pm
You could argue.. is it actually making you better to transfer from a bigger school, where you do not get any playing time, to a smaller school? I would say Playing with kids that are better than you and competing against them would make you better if you are truly that competitive.
+1

dentist15

February 27, 2017, 05:56:14 pm #92 Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:03:48 pm by dentist15
Quote from: AlumniLights on February 27, 2017, 03:56:05 pm
It seems everyone wants to raise all kinds of heck when the team gets a transfer, and it brings them success. I like the post. Who wouldn't want to go to a smaller school, or better school within their division to achieve success. I mean, lets think about it, would a kid that went to Hartford and was a good ball player want to get beat on game after game, or just go down the road and play for Branham when they were stout? The same can be said for Greenwood/Charleston. If a kid is not getting the time he wants on the field, and wants to be a stud, Charleston's a short drive. I've seen Hackett football players take their talents to Greenwood, and become amazing athletes. Sure he would have been a stud at Hackett, but lets be realistic here...Dentist, i'm sure your move also benefited you, it is just fortunate you got to follow pops! Had you just transferred without said reason, people would have been up in arms about it.

Alumni, all good points that I can't argue with. It makes sense for the players, at weak schools at least, to transfer to a stronger school (PV to Alma, Hackett to Greenwood, etc) makes sense to me. But I agree with RTF, in essence of his post, when it comes to transferring to schools that are at the same competitive level or lower than a player's current school, in that it kinda flys in the face of "wanting to compete against the best and be the best you can" and tends to come off more as "let me set the difficulty level to normal or easy, and beat the game that way"......as for me, yeah I did get lucky with the terms of my transfer, but I was only a decent player, on my good days, so I doubt anybody would've kicked up much fuss even if I didn't have a legitimate reason for my transfer 😎. But your underlying point was still spot on.

xadboy

If your a "stud" you should be able to play anywhere and still be a "stud". Not talking about transfers just talent in your sport.

TRgators11

Quote from: YC on February 27, 2017, 11:17:55 am
Yes, why is it so important to conduct the post game prayer at center court and expect the opponent to do likewise? Why not just go to your bench area post game and conduct your prayer there or perhaps even better wait until you go to your dressing room?  If an opponent chooses to not participate that's their right to do so. It was most likely a good idea for the team not to participate. As stated in earlier post, with all the shoving, mouthing, and taunting going on during the game tempers were very short.

All this would be downright funny if it were not so sad and embarrassing. I'm a Christian and pray several times daily. I do my praying in privacy—just I and The Lord—except when asked to deliver the prayer during worship services or meal time prayers. I try to follow the instructions Jesus gave on prayer we find in Matt 6: 5-6.

The Charleston fans made a huge mistake by retailing. I know it's difficult to remain silent when your kids are booed unmercifully after said prayer and again when they were presented with the runner-up trophy. The Charleston fans should not have done likewise when Lamar was presented theirs.

The officiating was horrid and that most likely attributed to that sad state of affairs. The basketball assigner (basketball and football have different assigners) for this area was in attendance (I know because I saw him). I have to wonder how he graded that group of officials.  Knowing who that assigner is I think I know the answer.

who's the assigner???

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas