• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Coach in 3A

Started by BigMan15, February 21, 2017, 01:12:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMan15

dentist15

February 21, 2017, 01:31:28 pm #1 Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:52:46 pm by dentist15
Depends on how you define success as a coach. Purely the number of championships, total number of wins, how competitive their teams are year-in/year-out, how well they improve the programs that they have been a part of......

That said, I don't know enough 3A coaches to say too much, but Foster at Paris has done a pretty good job of making every program he has coached, competitive for conference/district/regional championships, and trips to state. Won multiple conference/district titles at Lavaca (2A at the time), but had the "misfortune" of being in the same conference as Charleston for the late 90's/early 00's when they had an impressive run of talent, and thus quite a few years of Conf and District runner-ups despite 20+ wins nearly every season during that time. After his "departure" from Lavaca, he took a Harrisburg program that was in a recent slump, and had them competitive and 20+ win seasons before returning to the River Valley to coach at Paris. Paris had been middle of road at best throughout the 2000's, and he now has them having won 2 district titles in a row (two previous seasons, but not this season), and multiple wins in the state tourney, and consistently winning 20+ games a season, or close to it.

BigMan15

I meant this year sorry for the confusion!

dentist15

February 21, 2017, 02:05:15 pm #3 Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:14:40 pm by dentist15
Quote from: BigMan15 on February 21, 2017, 01:55:15 pm
I meant this year sorry for the confusion!

My mistake.....but choosing a best coach for a single season (that is at most 6 months long) at the high school level is somewhat unfair, or at least tough to do. A team could get a move-in or two that makes them a contender, or a good team could have a role player that hits a growth spurt making him/her into an elite player, both of which the coach really has no control over (well maybe the first thing could be under the coach's control, but that is usually viewed poorly lol). Or a really good coach could have a key player get injured, or move away, and that wrecks his teams chances of winning any championships. None of those things really make the coach better or worse, but artificially inflate or deflate a coach's ability, especially over the course of just one season. Just my .02, I'll refrain from any further posts now.

BigMan15

I see what your saying but if you were voting 2016-2017 Coach of the year who is your choose?

dentist15

I'd say Friedel at EC$, as they weren't expected to be as good this year, but have far exceeded expectations (though that is relative at a school like EC$).

Charleston, Paris, Osceola all had lots of returning key players, so not a knock on any of those coaches, but we expected those teams to be right where they are. Those coaches have done a great job maintaining their success from last year (though you could say Paris is down from previous years).

501Arkansas

Osceola Frankie Gathen he got them guys playing great ball. Currently on a 14 game winning streak

Radiotalker

Quote from: 501Arkansas on February 21, 2017, 05:26:20 pm
Osceola Frankie Gathen he got them guys playing great ball. Currently on a 14 game winning streak

That's not correct

Radiotalker

Quote from: dentist15 on February 21, 2017, 04:02:50 pm
I'd say Friedel at EC$, as they weren't expected to be as good this year, but have far exceeded expectations (though that is relative at a school like EC$).

Charleston, Paris, Osceola all had lots of returning key players, so not a knock on any of those coaches, but we expected those teams to be right where they are. Those coaches have done a great job maintaining their success from last year (though you could say Paris is down from previous years).

I would go this direction. I really thought they would drop off after losing top two players. May be the team to beat.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: dentist15 on February 21, 2017, 04:02:50 pm

I seem to remember people predicting that ECS was the team to beat before the season started. If so, I wouldn't think the coach had to do such a remarkable job to get them to where they are.

neds

I don't believe anyone expected ECS to be a serious contender
They lost all, but 1 starter from last year
The young players (9nth graders) have been their big surprise and continues to be their true unknown in the post season

dentist15

Quote from: CoolBreeze on February 21, 2017, 06:11:53 pm
I seem to remember people predicting that ECS was the team to beat before the season started. If so, I wouldn't think the coach had to do such a remarkable job to get them to where they are.

I seem to remember people predicting EC$ would be solid and competitive, but not as good as they had been, as they lost multiple very good players and experience, and were returning one solid player + a transfer + a young team overall.

I also seem to remember people predicting that Charleston and Osceola would be the teams to beat, since they were returning nearly all their key players from state runner-up and state semi-finalist teams, respectively.

Hitman Warrior23

Quote from: BigMan15 on February 21, 2017, 03:44:02 pm
I see what your saying but if you were voting 2016-2017 Coach of the year who is your choose?

Kevin Kyzer at Lamar you knock the move ins so be it (why is he getting them) 1st year at Lamar took Lamar boys further then they ever have been, this year they got a SHOT.   I know some may not like him. But Lamar Boys HAVE NEVER BEEN ON THE MAP THEY ARE NOW!

dentist15

Quote from: Hitman Warrior23 on February 21, 2017, 09:13:44 pm
Kevin Kyzer at Lamar you knock the move ins so be it (why is he getting them) 1st year at Lamar took Lamar boys further then they ever have been, this year they got a SHOT.   I know some may not like him. But Lamar Boys HAVE NEVER BEEN ON THE MAP THEY ARE NOW!

Lamar Boys made it to the second round of the state tournament last year, and I'm fairly certain they've won a district title before (Storms and McCarley I think), so it remains to be seen if he actually takes them farther than they've ever been. Will be disappointing if he doesn't, considering the move-ins.

501Arkansas

Quote from: Radiotalker on February 21, 2017, 05:28:00 pm
That's not correct
Yeah that's correct, osceola haven't lost since December 21st to cave city in the nea tournament

Sick Dog

The coach who wins it all with the kids he has.

Hitman Warrior23

February 21, 2017, 10:23:37 pm #16 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:10:28 am by Hitman Warrior23
Quote from: dentist15 on February 21, 2017, 09:37:31 pm
Lamar Boys made it to the second round of the state tournament last year, and I'm fairly certain they've won a district title before (Storms and McCarley I think), so it remains to be seen if he actually takes them farther than they've ever been. Will be disappointing if he doesn't, considering the move-ins.
I don't think they made the 2nd round of state? Last year I thought was the 1st time.  If they did great.  I'll have to text some people tomorrow to find out.

Hitman Warrior23

Hopefully Saturday evening will be adding Brandon Schluterman to this!

neaguru

Quote from: 501Arkansas on February 21, 2017, 09:40:26 pm
Yeah that's correct, osceola haven't lost since December 21st to cave city in the nea tournament
No that's not correct. Riverside beat Osceola at Osceola. Like 3 weeks ago.

501Arkansas

Quote from: neaguru on February 21, 2017, 10:28:21 pm
No that's not correct. Riverside beat Osceola at Osceola. Like 3 weeks ago.
Riverside beat osceola back in December at riverside by 3. Osceola beat riverside by 10 at osceola .

TheTruth2010

Quote from: dentist15 on February 21, 2017, 09:37:31 pm
They have never won a state game until last year.

NeaBaller21

Quote from: 501Arkansas on February 21, 2017, 11:15:01 pm
Riverside beat osceola back in December at riverside by 3. Osceola beat riverside by 10 at osceola .
I hope you're not an Osceola fan? First Osceola beat Riverside by 10 at Riverside. Riverside beat Osceola by 3 at Osceola. Played for the first time Jan 17th at Rside, then played second time Jan 23rd at Osceola. So what you've been saying is completely false.

870baller15

Riverside beat Osceola at Osceola. Please know what you're talking about before you put it out there and misinform people.

501Arkansas

Oh okay I was just going off maxprep I apologize.

501Arkansas

Osceola had won 9 straight forgot about the Riverside lost. Anyway it goes they are playing great ball.

dentist15

February 22, 2017, 06:58:09 am #25 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:01:44 am by dentist15
Quote from: Hitman Warrior23 on February 21, 2017, 10:23:37 pm
I don't think they made the 2nd round of state? Last year I thought was the 1st if  they did great.  I'll have to text assume people tomorrow to find out.

My mistake. Read your first comment wrong, and did not realize it was Coach Kyzer's second year at Lamar (thought it was his first). I don't follow Lamar closely, but doesn't change the fact I was wrong.

BigMan15

Ive got a couple of coaches in mind

Jesseville who wasnt predicted to be real high this season and they are a tough team this year for sure. Great Coaching for sure!

Also Centerpoint lost a ton of talent last year and could be in the same position as last year.

Lamar you could argue but anybody who brings in three starters from a different school is hard to argue that success is due to Coaching.

You could say Riverside!

You could argue ECS  but their Freshman are better than almost all the srs in 3A.

Head Lion

I dont really know who the best is, but Coach Wimberley is the best fit for the Manila Lions.

BigMan15

Very good Coach I follow him alot mainly because I love how he posts things all the time about his team and players. You can truely tell he loves his job and his players.

dentist15

February 22, 2017, 11:12:44 am #29 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 12:44:57 pm by dentist15
Quote from: BigMan15 on February 22, 2017, 10:35:01 am
Ive got a couple of coaches in mind

Jesseville who wasnt predicted to be real high this season and they are a tough team this year for sure. Great Coaching for sure!

Also Centerpoint lost a ton of talent last year and could be in the same position as last year.

Lamar you could argue but anybody who brings in three starters from a different school is hard to argue that success is due to Coaching.

You could say Riverside!

You could argue ECS  but their Freshman are better than almost all the srs in 3A.

Good point with Jessieville. Coach Lamb has done a good job there for quite a long time, this year is no exception.

ECS - getting freshmen/sophomores adjusted to the speed of the game at the senior high level is tough to do in one season, even for good freshmen/sophomores. Some of that depends on the players themselves and how well they adapt mentally, but its a highlight of good coaching that he, or any coach for that matter, can put young players in the correct position to adjust quickly to the speed of the game, and further to play well.

biglion1985

Yeah you could also make a point for coach wimberly also even though they have had an up and down season he always has them playing as hard they can no matter what

870baller15

I might be a little biased but I loved every second I played for Coach Campbell. I really think he's one of the best.

NeaBaller21

Kinda hard to say he's the best with 0 State titles in his many years of coaching with some of the talent he has had.

jackets101

Clintons coach deserves some recognition on this board.

Head Lion

Who is the coach for Clinton?

870baller15

Quote from: NeaBaller21 on February 23, 2017, 08:42:45 am
Kinda hard to say he's the best with 0 State titles in his many years of coaching with some of the talent he has had.

This is true, I might should have worded my response differently. I just think he's a great coach. Not the best coach but he is a great coach

Rebelfan77

State Championships don't always mean your the best coach! You have to look at morals as well. He is probably the only coach around here that isn't in the recruiting business and has gotten a lot farther than most schools with his won kids. I guarantee if one of the boys needs anything at all Buster would be one of the first people there to help. I think he does have his weakness but he has my vote for one of the best.

redandgray

Quote from: Rebelfan77 on February 23, 2017, 11:52:48 am
State Championships don't always mean your the best coach! You have to look at morals as well. He is probably the only coach around here that isn't in the recruiting business and has gotten a lot farther than most schools with his won kids. I guarantee if one of the boys needs anything at all Buster would be one of the first people there to help. I think he does have his weakness but he has my vote for one of the best.
Only coach that isn't in the recruiting business around here?  That's a ridiculous and dumb statement.

Hitman Warrior23

Quote from: redandgray on February 23, 2017, 12:46:30 pm
Only coach that isn't in the recruiting business around here?  That's a ridiculous and dumb statement.

In his defense he did say Probably is the Only

NeaBaller21

Quote from: Rebelfan77 on February 23, 2017, 11:52:48 am
When I think about best coach, I think about their ability to get the most out of all their players, and most importantly their ability to win. Buster has a great ability to win, so he's definitely in the conversation as one of the best coaches!

Rebelfan77

Care to explain how that is ridiculous and dumb?

RedWolf275

Coach Campbell doesn't recruit but I bet he'd like to see a couple of transfers by next fall!

Head Lion

Manila has a middle school counselor job that come open for next year. Hint hint

redandgray

Its ridiculous and dumb because most of the coaches I know around here don't recruit

Rebelfan77

Didn't say all but the majority have tried .

biglion1985

Tonight made a case for Lee Wimberley to be in the talks to be on of the best coaches

RedWolf275

Don't know about tonight making a case. Manila had VS outmanned bad but Wimberly is a solid coach.

Kraig Crist

Best 3-A Coach is Johnny Taylor. Rings. Wins. Program.

Second is Kelby Drennan. If you want to argue about Drennan consider this: In his 6 years at Marshall they've made 3 regional tournaments and 2 state tournaments. That's more than the previous 40 years combined.

BigMan15

Quote from: Kraig Crist on February 24, 2017, 10:45:27 am
Best 3-A Coach is Johnny Taylor. Rings. Wins. Program.

Second is Kelby Drennan. If you want to argue about Drennan consider this: In his 6 years at Marshall they've made 3 regional tournaments and 2 state tournaments. That's more than the previous 40 years combined.

Johnny Taylor always has his guys buying in! Neat fact about Marshall I didnt know that, very impressive! Although right now Im taking Wimberly for this year!

biglion1985

But you also can't forget to mention Buster Campbell in this discussion

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas