• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

House Bill 1474

Started by arthurhawgerelli, February 13, 2017, 02:53:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurhawgerelli

House Bill 1474 would authorize home-schooled students to participate in interscholastic activities of public schools of a district in which the student does not reside.

This is just a proposed law.  It has not been approved, and is still in the form of a bill.

This is a very bad bill.  If home-schoolers can choose which team to play for, why can't everybody?  If I live in Russellville and want my children to play for Morrilton, I have the choice to seek a legal transfer (which has specific criteria I will have to follow before my child could participate in a district outside of my residential school district) or I could move.  The home schooler should have to follow the same rules.

I'm not opposed to home schoolers participating in interscholastic activities, but you can't treat these children differently when it comes to interscholastic competition. 

Head Lion

businesstron

If a parent chooses to take their child out of a public school to home school then that child has almost no right to play for that public school in my opinion even if they are paying taxes in that district. 

It would be unfair. How would you determine if a student is eligible?  The kids that attending the public school are being graded by teachers while the home schooled students are be graded by their parents.  Just not fair at all. I thought some home schoolers had their own little groups they could play in. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: businesstron on February 13, 2017, 05:45:19 pm
If a parent chooses to take their child out of a public school to home school then that child has almost no right to play for that public school in my opinion even if they are paying taxes in that district. 

It would be unfair. How would you determine if a student is eligible?  The kids that attending the public school are being graded by teachers while the home schooled students are be graded by their parents.  Just not fair at all. I thought some home schoolers had their own little groups they could play in. 

Some do in the "Metro" areas...the Ft Smith Homeshool Patriots have played in a couple tournaments with public schools this year...

Lumberjackfan1978

Home schoolers shouldn't be allowed to play.they chose home school they gave up the right to play sports in a public school if you wanna play then go to a public or private school

BLUEBLOOD

If they are allowed to participate, it should be with the same rules/regs as everyone else.  They play for the district they reside in or apply for a legal transfer (which includes no extracurricular activities for a calendar year). 

I'm all for letting them participate, but can't get special treatment.

cuckoobird

I don't think they should be allowed to participate in public school activities. They chose not to be a part of the system and it should include everything a system has to offer. Allowing them to pick and choose is ludicrous

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: cuckoobird on February 14, 2017, 02:07:46 pm
I don't think they should be allowed to participate in public school activities. They chose not to be a part of the system and it should include everything a system has to offer. Allowing them to pick and choose is ludicrous
agreed +1

WillC

Many homeschool groups have athletic teams.  If they do not offer the sport of your liking, enroll in a public (or private, even) school that does.  It's not like small school students that want to play soccer get to join the neighboring big school's soccer team.

OB11

I've got no problem with home-schooled students participating in extra-curricular activities as long as they are doing it at the school in the district that they live in.  Giving them the option to go wherever they want regardless of district lines is not right in my opinion.

ricepig

Who sponsored the bill, they must need a player, lol?

riccoar

I say go for it.  However, MUST play in district they reside in.

ricepig

Quote from: riccoar on February 15, 2017, 10:25:45 am
I say go for it.  However, MUST play in district they reside in.

They already can, Jonesboro had a homeschool kid play basketball a few years ago.

jyd2205

Can you imagine the recruiting that would go. 

cuckoobird

I know Dewitt has a cheerleader who is home schooled but if I'm not mistaken she has to have a few hours each week of actual class time

beach bum

Get em Cuckoobird. I totally agree. The idea of picking what team they want to play for is a bad idea. Let's have Little Timmy get driven by mom to a great program for practice each day in the afternoon of a school that might be 40 miles away because they are good is a bad idea.

sevenof400

Then it would be fair to exempt them from paying taxes that go to public schools?

cuckoobird

Why? We don't exempt people with no children from paying taxes. That may be your worst argument ever 7

beach bum

Quote from: sevenof400 linktopic=150993.msg3455810#msg3455810 date=1487194005
Then it would be fair to exempt them from paying taxes that go to public schools?

If you live in the wrong place those property taxes can be a hefty price to pay...... Luckily, not so much where I am at and the small property. But, there are some people paying crazy amounts in property taxes out there. It is a good thing, but just definitely can be a lot for sure.

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on February 15, 2017, 03:31:03 pm
Why? We don't exempt people with no children from paying taxes. That may be your worst argument ever 7

That actually is a fair point there... It really hasn't crossed my mind that way before but makes sense. Not saying I agree and I know you don't want that either, but that is a pretty good point you just made.

BLUEBLOOD

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 15, 2017, 03:26:45 pm

If a public school student chooses to transfer to a school in another district, their parents still pay taxes in the district in which they live/own property.  Not a good argument.

Chester A. Arthur

So, if this bill were to become law, and I had a son who lived in district X but I wanted him to play sports in district Y - If he were ineligible (by residence rules) in district Y, all I'd have to do was pull him from district X, "home school" him, then "choose" to play sports in district Y?

That's a tremendous loophole. And it's nuts.

ricepig

Quote from: Chester A. Arthur on February 15, 2017, 10:19:48 pm
So, if this bill were to become law, and I had a son who lived in district X but I wanted him to play sports in district Y - If he were ineligible (by residence rules) in district Y, all I'd have to do was pull him from district X, "home school" him, then "choose" to play sports in district Y?

That's a tremendous loophole. And it's nuts.

There's already a criteria for meeting the home school requirement to play sports, you can't simply pull them out and play.

Made

How would this play into numbers for classification? do they add 10, 25 per home school kid on the team? that would keep the hypothetical 2a school from picking up lets say 3-4 players that are home schooled and make a hypothetical run in the playoffs to the state championship game, only to get beat of course, because one of those kids is the best athlete in that classification....

Eddie Goodson

While not taking a position for or against all this, I think it should be noted that the home school child's parents do have to pay all the expenses involved in that child playing the sport.

arthurhawgerelli

I talked with a legislator and somebody from the AAEA.  This bill basically gives home school athletes the same right as public school students who choose to transfer out of district.  They  have to sit a year, but are allowed to play on JV teams during the sit time.  Not sure if it exactly matches the private rule of having to sit a year no matter what if transferring after 7th grade.  Public school students have to sit a year if they transfer after 10th grade starts.

Might not be that bad of a bill after all.  Keeps things the same as those not homeschooling, basically.

beach bum

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 23, 2017, 03:03:03 pm
I talked with a legislator and somebody from the AAEA.  This bill basically gives home school athletes the same right as public school students who choose to transfer out of district.  They  have to sit a year, but are allowed to play on JV teams during the sit time.  Not sure if it exactly matches the private rule of having to sit a year no matter what if transferring after 7th grade.  Public school students have to sit a year if they transfer after 10th grade starts.

Might not be that bad of a bill after all.  Keeps things the same as those not homeschooling, basically.

What you described is not the same whatsoever as kids that transfer to another school. Kids that transfer actually sit in a classroom with their peers for 7 hours a day. A home schooler will just show up at 2 pm everyday. That is not the same at all. The transfer student actually physically goes to the school they transfer too.

cuckoobird

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: beach bum on February 23, 2017, 05:43:13 pm
What you described is not the same whatsoever as kids that transfer to another school. Kids that transfer actually sit in a classroom with their peers for 7 hours a day. A home schooler will just show up at 2 pm everyday. That is not the same at all. The transfer student actually physically goes to the school they transfer too.
exactly home schoolers should forget about sports if they don't want to participate in class with their peers

sevenof400

February 25, 2017, 08:57:56 am #29 Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:01:53 am by sevenof400
Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on February 25, 2017, 12:06:55 am
exactly home schoolers should forget about sports if they don't want to participate in class with their peers

Why?  These families are paying tax dollars, they should have the ability to use the resources their tax dollars fund.     

The sentiment you expressed is one of the many sentiments that are without merit when it comes to this topic and yes, it really irritates me to no end.  Have you been in a classroom lately?  I am there every day and I can see the rot (and justification) for many families to choose home schooling. Feckless administrations who salivate like Pavlovian canines when you mention money tie the hands of teachers in dealing with children who bring nothing but disruption to the classroom.  In allowing far too many kids to remain in the classroom (when they should be expelled or sent to an alternative school), a caustic atmosphere has been created in the classroom (and our schools) - mostly from the desire to not lose a few dollars of state funding.   

Those families choosing home schooling who are doing so to provide a better education for their children AND because school districts cannot and will not instill discipline in their students are making a noble choice.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 25, 2017, 08:57:56 am
Why?  These families are paying tax dollars, they should have the ability to use the resources their tax dollars fund.     

The sentiment you expressed is one of the many sentiments that are without merit when it comes to this topic and yes, it really irritates me to no end.  Have you been in a classroom lately?  I am there every day and I can see the rot (and justification) for many families to choose home schooling. Feckless administrations who salivate like Pavlovian canines when you mention money tie the hands of teachers in dealing with children who bring nothing but disruption to the classroom.  In allowing far too many kids to remain in the classroom (when they should be expelled or sent to an alternative school), a caustic atmosphere has been created in the classroom (and our schools) - mostly from the desire to not lose a few dollars of state funding.   

Those families choosing home schooling who are doing so to provide a better education for their children AND because school districts cannot and will not instill discipline in their students are making a noble choice.

My only connection to schools these days is watching high school sports and volunteer work at quiz bowl tournaments..... I don't disagree with home school kids being able to participate in sports, but it should have to be within the school district they live. What would be stopping a star athlete at, say vilonia, withdrawing from his school to home school, and transfer to Greenbrier without moving? I may have misunderstood something on this but it sounds like that's the intent of this bill....Let home school kids play whereever they choose...

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 25, 2017, 08:57:56 am

I know how bad the classrooms are.All I'm saying is if the kids don't sit in the classroom they shouldn't get to play sports with the kids who do have to tolerate it just my opinion

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: beach bum on February 23, 2017, 05:43:13 pm

I understand your frustration.  I am a public school administrator.  I will say that every once in a while, there are parents who homeschool their children, and they do an outstanding job.  The vast majority (I would say as much as 80 per cent of those I have dealt with) have only gotten mad at a teacher, administrator, or coach and pulled their child out and basically done nothing with them. Since they recently worked a deal out where homeschooled children can compete, I'm seeing the same thing.  There are a few whose homeschooled child comes to practice willing to work hard, make sacrifices, etc., and the parents are very supportive of the coach and team.  The vast majority are spoiled, clueless on how teamwork takes place, and the parents have an incredible chip on their shoulder.

Having said this, I stand by my statement that this bill doesn't bother me as much as it did when I thought it merely opened the door for a homeschooled child to go wherever their parents wanted with immediate eligibility.  This just isn't the case. 

Lions84

Nothing like the Tim Tebow rule.

Jack1990

HB1474 passed the House today.

beach bum

March 01, 2017, 07:04:55 pm #35 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:11:47 pm by beach bum
Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 25, 2017, 09:23:30 am
My only connection to schools these days is watching high school sports and volunteer work at quiz bowl tournaments.....

Quiz Bowl is good stuff... That is a +1 for you for volunteering there! And I agree spot on with your whole post entirely about home school kids and sports. I say let them play in the district they live, but a giant can of worms will be opened letting them choose.

beach bum

Quote from: Jack1990 on March 01, 2017, 05:45:00 pm
HB1474 passed the House today.

More legislation that does not benefit the majority of society, and only a tiny group of people yet they pass it anyway. This does not help 95% + of kids at all and gives home school kids an advantage actually.

beach bum

March 01, 2017, 07:25:12 pm #37 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:41:47 pm by beach bum
Here is some food for thought that you guys with kids I would like to hear your input with the whole transfer students and home school students. I do not have kids, but if I did what would be my determining factor of where I lived would be the community I sent my kids to school. I would even drive whatever distance I had to for work knowing my kids went to a school in a community I loved. I bet a lot of you guys feel this way about your community and was probably a factor in why you all live where you do because you like it so much there? I am not a fan of picking and choosing like this. I think this trend will continue even more so giving certain people benefits above what their peers are getting. I am not naive to the fact that sometimes economics make it where a family simply can not live in their "dream place" and I do understand that part. But there are still so many great "working class" communities out there for sure. Most of us live there or at least grew up in those types of communities.

ricepig

Quote from: beach bum on March 01, 2017, 07:18:38 pm
More legislation that does not benefit the majority of society, and only a tiny group of people yet they pass it anyway. This does not help 95% + of kids at all and gives home school kids an advantage actually.

Home school kids already had the option of playing for the district they lived in, this just gives them the same option as every other kid who wishes to transfer.

beach bum

March 01, 2017, 07:48:10 pm #39 Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:53:41 pm by beach bum
Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 07:44:27 pm
Home school kids already had the option of playing for the district they lived in, this just gives them the same option as every other kid who wishes to transfer.

Except for the fact that the kid that transfers actually sits in the classroom of the school they transfer too... switching teams for sports for a home schooler is not transferring. It is not the same thing at all. The kid that transfers actually physically attends a new school. The home schooler just switches sports teams.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on March 01, 2017, 07:48:10 pm
Except for the fact that the kid that transfers actually sits in the classroom of the school they transfer too... switching teams for sports for a home schooler is not transferring. It is not the same thing at all. The kid that transfers actually physically attends a new school. The home schooler just switches sports teams.

Can't wait for all the new "home-schooled" kids to show up on rosters....

ricepig

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 01, 2017, 08:03:40 pm
Can't wait for all the new "home-schooled" kids to show up on rosters....

Home schooled kids have been eligible for several years, nothing new here.

ricepig

Your complaint is with them being eligible at all, this bill isn't that, apples and oranges.

Lumberjackfan1978

+1 exactly

jyd2205

I like the thought of home school kids playing. I do not like it they get to choice where to play. What is to keep kids and parents getting together to home school there kids and all go play somewhere totally different than there district.

ricepig

Quote from: jyd2205 on March 02, 2017, 10:09:13 am
I like the thought of home school kids playing. I do not like it they get to choice where to play. What is to keep kids and parents getting together to home school there kids and all go play somewhere totally different than there district.

Most aren't willing to sit out a year.

OB11

Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 01:51:12 pm
Most aren't willing to sit out a year.

This may have been addressed already, but if a home-school family makes a bonafide move into a district do they still have to sit out a year?  Even though they continue to home-school?

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ricepig on March 01, 2017, 08:31:57 pm
Home schooled kids have been eligible for several years, nothing new here.
This is very new.  AAA rules call for a bona fide change of residence in order to transfer for a traditional student. Or sit out a year. Apparently it requires nothing for a home school student.  The legislature had no business in this issue.

ricepig

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on March 02, 2017, 02:53:06 pm
This is very new.  AAA rules call for a bona fide change of residence in order to transfer for a traditional student. Or sit out a year. Apparently it requires nothing for a home school student.  The legislature had no business in this issue.

So, you're saying home schooled children shouldn't have been required to sit out a year for transferring?

beach bum

March 02, 2017, 04:22:25 pm #49 Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:42:29 pm by beach bum
Quote from: ricepig on March 02, 2017, 04:07:50 pm
So, you're saying home schooled children shouldn't have been required to sit out a year for transferring?

You know what he is saying, but you just argue for the sake of arguing. He is saying they should only be playing in the district they reside if they are not choosing to physically attend school like the rest of society.  Deciding a new team to show up to at 2 pm for practice is not like kids transferring and you know it too. But continue to argue for the fun of it. I am fine with people wanting out of "the system" but do not pick and choose what parts of the system you want to be apart of. They apparently do like the system when it benefits them if people start using this rule. What is the difference then in a kid living in and attending Valley View, but wants to show up at 2 o'clock for practice at Jonesboro High? Under this law a home school kid in the Valley View district can now do that. What makes the home school kid any better than the public school kid to get that option? Stop playing naive please...because each scenario would be the same. At least transfer students spend 6-7 hours a day with their new population and can actually call themselves a student at their new school.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas