• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question?

Started by BannerMountainMan, February 09, 2017, 09:06:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BannerMountainMan

February 09, 2017, 09:06:23 pm Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 09:09:26 pm by BannerMountainMan
I will have finished my basic classes after this semester and planning on transferring to UCA, I have always thought about teaching math while coaching, but then a pretty high up person told me that most math won't work because they need you more than just the PE/Health degree, I'm still sticking with math but I just need input on which one is better to do in this day and age? Science is always an option also! Thank you!

OverPrivileged

If you like math great.  I would also get certified in PE/health.  PE is what most coaches have so many of the jobs are PE.  Having another certification is great though. 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: vegasbobcat on February 09, 2017, 09:15:34 pm
If you like math great.  I would also get certified in PE/health.  PE is what most coaches have so many of the jobs are PE.  Having another certification is great though.
I have heard you can get certifications by just taking a test on certain things right? Because how long does it usually take to get through a whole PE/Health certification?

gamecocks8584

I am a coach with a PE/Health degree. I would get certified in Math/Science/History also with PE/Health. Most PE/Health jobs go to older coaches or coaches of the big sports. If u have a certification in a core subject ur job search want last long. If u are just PE/Health it will be a struggle these days.

OverPrivileged

once you are certified in one area, you may take the Praxis exam to get certified in other areas.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: vegasbobcat on February 13, 2017, 09:44:21 am
once you are certified in one area, you may take the Praxis exam to get certified in other areas.
thats the answer I have been looking for but nobody would give it to me

slowntheMUD

Unless you have a pretty good understanding of anatomy, physiology and body mechanics or are just a great test taker, it will be difficult to test out in PE.

OB11

Quote from: slowntheMUD on February 15, 2017, 01:08:31 pm
Unless you have a pretty good understanding of anatomy, physiology and body mechanics or are just a great test taker, it will be difficult to test out in PE.

I know PE majors that took either their Praxis 1 or Praxis 2 multiple times and still did not pass it until the 8th or 9th try (and some that never did pass it and decided to go do something else).  Testing out in other subjects for some is next to impossible.  With that being said...I know quite a few as well that have tested out in multiple subjects.  Depends on how well you can sit for the test and if you have a working knowledge of the subject you're trying to test out of.  There is no way I would sit for a test that I had no clue about just to try and get a certification.  Those tests are designed for people who actually majored in the content area. 

OverPrivileged

Quote from: OB11 on February 15, 2017, 01:23:42 pm
I know PE majors that took either their Praxis 1 or Praxis 2 multiple times and still did not pass it until the 8th or 9th try (and some that never did pass it and decided to go do something else).  Testing out in other subjects for some is next to impossible.  With that being said...I know quite a few as well that have tested out in multiple subjects.  Depends on how well you can sit for the test and if you have a working knowledge of the subject you're trying to test out of.  There is no way I would sit for a test that I had no clue about just to try and get a certification.  Those tests are designed for people who actually majored in the content area.

If they majored in PE they shouldnt have to take that test 8 or 9 times.  Most people I know pass the Praxis exam in their subject area in two tries.

AirItOut21

Quote from: vegasbobcat on February 16, 2017, 07:54:26 am
If they majored in PE they shouldnt have to take that test 8 or 9 times.  Most people I know pass the Praxis exam in their subject area in two tries.

The PLT praxis exam and the first Praxis 1 exam are the ones that give people the most trouble.

OverPrivileged

Praxis 1 is general knowledge...every college grad should pass it.  Principles of Learning and Teaching is a little harder.

OB11

Quote from: vegasbobcat on February 16, 2017, 10:42:28 am
Praxis 1 is general knowledge...every college grad should pass it.  Principles of Learning and Teaching is a little harder.

I guess I should have been a little more specific.  I know guys that took the PLT and or Writing part of the Praxis 1 up to TEN times and still not pass it. 

I totally agree with you.  It should take two times max to pass those tests. 

OverPrivileged

Yeah, I know a few people who have spent years trying to pass the tests...and they are graduates of the UA masters programs and can't pass the exams.  not sure what that says...

OB11

Quote from: vegasbobcat on February 16, 2017, 10:55:06 am
Yeah, I know a few people who have spent years trying to pass the tests...and they are graduates of the UA masters programs and can't pass the exams.  not sure what that says...

I have never been a believer in the terms "good" or "bad" test takers like some people say.  But this makes me question that sometimes.

Dayton Kitchens

Ironically,  it has been my experience that the Praxis II exam for coaching certification is one of the most difficult.   Because they have questions for EVERYTHING.

I'll freely admit that I didn't know the proper sequence of motions in swimming using the breaststroke or what muscle groups were best worked in Yoga.

Actual questions.

AirItOut21

Quote from: vegasbobcat on February 16, 2017, 10:42:28 am

You have to pass the praxis 1 to get into a teachers program. There are a lot of people who can't pass that test and have to change their major.

Made

Check to make sure that all degrees can test over, it seems like at one point in time certain areas couldn't "test out" of other areas. I was told that a PE degree can test out of anything, but I feel like math, English, Special ed, and Foreign language couldn't. Just check to see which route is better if that is what you are wanting to do.

OB11

Quote from: Made on February 17, 2017, 10:12:39 am
Check to make sure that all degrees can test over, it seems like at one point in time certain areas couldn't "test out" of other areas. I was told that a PE degree can test out of anything, but I feel like math, English, Special ed, and Foreign language couldn't. Just check to see which route is better if that is what you are wanting to do.

I think that has to do with the grade level.  The way it was explained to me, you can only test up or down from your grade level.  All PE is K-12 so you can test into any other grade level.  If you're degree is secondary only I think you can only test down to mid-level, not all the way down to Elementary and vice versa.  Hope that makes sense. 

Dayton Kitchens

As part of the Praxis II for Art the test taker must bring an original piece of artwork that they created and submit it along with the regular portion of the test.

bbishop

I can tell you at North Little Rock High most of the Coaches teach Social Studies or science.  Head Varsity Football and Basketball only have PE.  We just lost a coach who taught Environmental Science.  I know we have a few assistants who teach health.  I would recommend getting certified in more than PE/Health. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas