• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Can We Do To Stop The Stupidity In The New Conference Alignments?

Started by NewRecruit, February 03, 2017, 02:20:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: zebra73 on February 07, 2017, 11:58:55 am
Schools having to travel 3 hours to a district tournament. Something is going to have to change. Ridiculous. Not much prosperity on that.

I don't doubt you...But what conference got screwed on that deal?

BoxNOne

zebra73

Then I saw where they are combining the 1A-2A junior district. It going to happen in varsity?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BoxNOne on February 07, 2017, 08:59:45 pm
The 2a-2 goes from EPC to Cotter. That is a long ways.

#fail
Don't the conference's pick their district site though?

Quote from: zebra73 on February 07, 2017, 09:01:33 pm
Then I saw where they are combining the 1A-2A junior district. It going to happen in varsity?

Way I understand it...Jr high is left up to the schools... Which works for the most part cause the big schools have different jr high conference's

zebra73

That would make for a long week!! Need to do the smaller schools like the bigger schools. Play junior high on one night and senior high on another.

ZoneBuster

I just thought of a decent comparison. The NBA has divisions in their 2 conferences. Those divisions are basically pointless other than scheduling ala these blended conferences. There are standings amongst the divisions but all that really matters is how their record compares to others in their conference (in this case how teams do in the conference tourney.) teams may benefit from playing in a weaker division/district but the better teams will rise to the top most of the time.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ZoneBuster on February 12, 2017, 11:30:59 am
I just thought of a decent comparison. The NBA has divisions in their 2 conferences. Those divisions are basically pointless other than scheduling ala these blended conferences. There are standings amongst the divisions but all that really matters is how their record compares to others in their conference (in this case how teams do in the conference tourney.) teams may benefit from playing in a weaker division/district but the better teams will rise to the top most of the time.

If I'm following you correctly...That would work until you have a team loading their schedule with creampuff teams to get a higher seed....It's true that the weak will be eliminated, but it could screw a team that scheduled good competition..And their record isn't as good resulting in a lower seed...

ZoneBuster

It's not perfect but it's an instance where teams are put in a meaningless division/conference. Also where a team can benefit from a weak schedule like the eastern conference.

NewRecruit

Regardless of AAA's intent with this, they have screwed up.  I have seen and heard coaches (who are, or were, friends) in the past few days at each other's throat because of the way they voted in seeding their district.  To be honest, they all had legitimate arguments because none of them played each other.  I hate to see friends get so made at each other because of something that is out of their control because AAA wanted to make changes that were not needed.  i just don't like it!

noties

Quote from: NewRecruit on February 14, 2017, 01:14:55 pm
Regardless of AAA's intent with this, they have screwed up.  I have seen and heard coaches (who are, or were, friends) in the past few days at each other's throat because of the way they voted in seeding their district.  To be honest, they all had legitimate arguments because none of them played each other.  I hate to see friends get so made at each other because of something that is out of their control because AAA wanted to make changes that were not needed.  i just don't like it!

I agree with this. All I can say is I'm glad I'm not a coach and had to vote on tournament seeds like that. Coaches going at it trying to compare apples to oranges over conference seed placement is not a good system.

However, this is the first year. It's no surprise that many are confused or angry over how to seed teams. From a system where seeds are earned to what seems like a free for all is a drastic change. There could be some pros to ranking teams through discussion.. but we'll have to wait and see.

footballfan-tastic

The AAA is like every other organization, politics controls a lot of the decisions made.  To change that you have to get your supporters to be vocal.

NewRecruit

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on February 14, 2017, 07:44:28 pm
The AAA is like every other organization, politics controls a lot of the decisions made.  To change that you have to get your supporters to be vocal.
Or maybe it is just time to clean house at the AAA and start fresh before the state does step in and take over athletics in Arkansas.  I'm sure a lot of people would be in favor of that.

bluegrassboy75

Quote from: NewRecruit on February 15, 2017, 09:36:57 am
Or maybe it is just time to clean house at the AAA and start fresh before the state does step in and take over athletics in Arkansas.  I'm sure a lot of people would be in favor of that.

This was voted on by the school superintendents in every district in the state.  One school proposed it, and the majority voted for it.  You cannot blame the AAA for this, if you don't like it contact your school's administration.  From what I've heard, there aren't any proposals to change it after next year (if I recall correctly, it would have to be proposed and voted on this summer to go into effect the following year). 

BoxNOne

Doesn't say much for superintendents!

Head Lion

The good thing about the new way is our side gets to play the other side to advance. I like those chances a very high % of the time.JMO

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas