• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

State Tournament locations

Started by Tasteofswine, January 07, 2017, 12:03:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tasteofswine

Bids for the state tournament sites were to be submitted by January 5, with a committee selecting the sites on the 12th. Does anyone know of any schools that bid to host a state tournament?

mijally

You don't need a committee you need an auctioneer. The tournaments are for sale. Cash rules. What school administration wants it bad enough? That's who is getting it and were gonna find out who it is.

chaoslord

Usually the document is posted by now. I reached out to them and left a message asking when they'll post it, see if that makes them realize people care about it.

HorseFeathers

State, May 11-13

Class 7A: Fort Smith Schools (Northside & Southside)

Class 6A: Siloam Springs

Class 5A: Harrison, Valley View

Class 4A: Central Arkansas Christian (at Burns Park), Batesville Southside

State Finals, May 19-20

Fayetteville (at University of Arkansas)

razorback

January 10, 2017, 11:10:05 am #4 Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 11:58:33 am by razorback
Hopefully the 4a selects CAC to host in central Arkansas this year.  Harrison put on a great tournament last year and this is by no way a knock against them or Southside Batesville.  It would just be nice to be closer to home for us south Ark teams for sure.  Good luck to everyone this season, hopefully see you all in Little Rock in May.  Let's go JACKS!!

mijally

Are these the finalists or co-hosts?

VHSCoach2

January 10, 2017, 02:05:58 pm #6 Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:13:07 pm by VHSCoach2
Quote from: mijally on January 10, 2017, 12:46:31 pm
Are these the finalists or co-hosts?

Finalists.  Selections for 5A and 4A will be made on Thursday.  For 7A it seems to be a joint bid for the Fort Smith schools, and for 6A Siloam Springs was the only school to put in a bid.

chaoslord

As always, I hope Harrison hosts the 5A tournament but I am glad to see VV bid for it. More bids is a good reflection of how the sport is growing

chaoslord

January 12, 2017, 06:41:11 pm #8 Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:43:50 pm by chaoslord
7a - Ft Smith
6a - Siloam Springs
5 a - Valley View
4a - Batesville Southside
Finals - U of A

Interesting that both LR and Harrison are passed up. NWA or NEA for all

Sir Alex

Quote from: mijally on January 07, 2017, 10:02:48 pm
You don't need a committee you need an auctioneer. The tournaments are for sale. Cash rules. What school administration wants it bad enough? That's who is getting it and were gonna find out who it is.

They took the lower bid with the 5A.  Most of the time it boils down to where has it not been not who bids the most. Valley View will do a great job with the 5A. They have a AD that cares and a coach that cares even more. 

The Coach

Never been to batesville for soccer. Curious to where they'll play the games? How many have turf etc?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Sir Alex on January 12, 2017, 10:28:40 pm
They took the lower bid with the 5A.  Most of the time it boils down to where has it not been not who bids the most. Valley View will do a great job with the 5A. They have a AD that cares and a coach that cares even more. 

Wait, did you just suggest the AAA didn't award a site based on $$$?

Sir Alex

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 13, 2017, 03:50:02 am
Wait, did you just suggest the AAA didn't award a site based on $$$?

Didn't suggest, stated a fact in this case.  As unbelievable as it sounds it is true.

mijally

Quote from: Sir Alex on January 12, 2017, 10:28:40 pm
I have no issues with where it's at. Will the games be held at Valley View's home field or a neutral location in the area?

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: The Coach on January 12, 2017, 10:29:27 pm
Never been to batesville for soccer. Curious to where they'll play the games? How many have turf etc?

Their field at Southside is a turf field. I'm not 100% sure on whether or not they have a good soccer complex in Batesville or if they'll use Batesville High School and the Batesville Southside field.

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: mijally on January 13, 2017, 08:48:58 am
I have no issues with where it's at. Will the games be held at Valley View's home field or a neutral location in the area?

I would assume they're going to have games at Joe Mack Campbell Park. It's a decent soccer complex and I don't know of another quality location in the vicinity of Valley View. Joe Mack would provide at least 3 or 4 good fields for them to play on as long as Joe Mack prepares for it and takes care of their field leading up to the tournament.

Arbitro

Quote from: ArkansasSportsFan on January 13, 2017, 10:54:35 am
Their field at Southside is a turf field. I'm not 100% sure on whether or not they have a good soccer complex in Batesville or if they'll use Batesville High School and the Batesville Southside field.
Both Southside and Batesville High School have turf fields, but it would be tough to run the 4A tournament on two fields.  The youth soccer program in Batesville appears to have two full-sized grass fields so maybe they intend to use those as well, or work something out with Lyon College.

The Coach

I believe 5A will use just 2 fields at the complex and use nettleton and vv HS fields since they're turf.

The Coach

Quote from: Arbitro on January 13, 2017, 11:15:36 am
Both Southside and Batesville High School have turf fields, but it would be tough to run the 4A tournament on two fields.  The youth soccer program in Batesville appears to have two full-sized grass fields so maybe they intend to use those as well, or work something out with Lyon College.

Yes it would be very hard to run a tourney with just 2. Surely they had it covered before placing a bid.

sevenof400

Quote from: ArkansasSportsFan on January 13, 2017, 10:56:38 am
I would assume they're going to have games at Joe Mack Campbell Park. It's a decent soccer complex and I don't know of another quality location in the vicinity of Valley View. Joe Mack would provide at least 3 or 4 good fields for them to play on as long as Joe Mack prepares for it and takes care of their field leading up to the tournament.

....and it doesn't rain.   

Now to be fair, enough rain will make any field unplayable but Joe Mack has had that problem in the past.  It can turn into a mud hole quickly given the topography.  The turf is usually pretty good though and if the weather cooperates, the complex fields should be good.   

Parking could be an issue because there are no large lots on the complex near the fields - but there are several smaller ones.  I suspect they will have buses park in a remote area.   

MDXPHD

I'm not sure how they are hosting it. I know Batesville and SS have turf and then Lyon College has a nice grass field that they use during their season in the Fall. There are two full size fields at the soccer complex, only one has lights. I haven't seen an organized game played on one of the full size fields yet.

WillC

I would assume that Batesville and Batesville Southside worked something out, since they are two separate school districts. I'm sure the Batesville complex and Huser Field at Lyon will be used as well. Speaking from a Lyon athlete perspective, they tend to be picky about loaning out their field. I doubt they would turn down the tournament, though.

MDXPHD

Quote from: WillC on January 27, 2017, 12:27:52 am
I would assume that Batesville and Batesville Southside worked something out, since they are two separate school districts. I'm sure the Batesville complex and Huser Field at Lyon will be used as well. Speaking from a Lyon athlete perspective, they tend to be picky about loaning out their field. I doubt they would turn down the tournament, though.

Tournament makes it easier on their budget to recruit some in state players. I agree, they shouldn't turn that down. I'm sure Brookshire realizes that.

The City has a new complex, but there were some problems with the larger fields. Maybe they corrected them, so they can use at least one. From a fan's perspective, games at 4 locations would not be ideal.

WillC

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 30, 2017, 09:02:09 am
Tournament makes it easier on their budget to recruit some in state players. I agree, they shouldn't turn that down. I'm sure Brookshire realizes that.

The City has a new complex, but there were some problems with the larger fields. Maybe they corrected them, so they can use at least one. From a fan's perspective, games at 4 locations would not be ideal.
Interestingly, Brookshire's been out since the summer.  It's now Chris Bocanegra.

MDXPHD

Quote from: WillC on February 08, 2017, 02:28:48 pm
Interestingly, Brookshire's been out since the summer.  It's now Chris Bocanegra.

My apologies. I didn't realize he stepped down and bocanegra made the switch from the women's team. My point still stands though. I'm not sure why this has sparked your interest.

WillC

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 10, 2017, 01:10:16 am
My apologies. I didn't realize he stepped down and bocanegra made the switch from the women's team. My point still stands though. I'm not sure why this has sparked your interest.

I don't disagree with your point, and I meant no animosity by the comment.  Just noting that there are other personalities involved in the decision.  Of course, who the coach is may be irrelevant.  In that case, I should be the one apologizing.  No hard feelings all around.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas