• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fayetteville Open (filled - Billy Dawson)

Started by Brian G, January 04, 2017, 06:46:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iknewthemwhen

College coaches are looking for athletes, and multi sport may mean talented athlete.  However, not many high schoolers go on to play any sport in college at any level.  So, why is that?  Are they not good enough, did they not prepare themselves to make it to the next level.  I know kids who fall into both categories.  Some who might have gone on to the next level but they lacked, size, speed, strength because they did not train, they played.  They did not grow their skills, increase their speed, build their bodies.   Unfortunately for those kids, there were some who did and the colleges take those.

I understand your view of let em play and enjoy HS, I just think if you want to be a winner, prepare to be a winner and thats a lot of work and a lot of commitment.  Not very many kids are just good enough to do it all and go on to the next level without the work.  For those teams that could be champions if every kid did the most they could to get there, those who did not buy in held them back. IMO!

ricepig

Well, we've completely sidetracked this thread, but that's not unusual. I doubt the reason you didn't win the state championship was because there were multi-sport kids, but who knows?

Iknewthemwhen

You might be right, but you might not.  I'm looking at it from a be the best you can be point of view.  All the post I ever see on here about how you fix a program, win, win a championship, include dedication, commitment buying in to a vision, so I'm talking about real commitment and that means giving up personal time and making the sacrifice that being a committed multi sport athlete means.

Oldbadger

Which sport would not benefit from going to the weight room year round?  I keep hearing posters complaining about having to do off-season weight training and I can't think of a negative for that.

Iknewthemwhen

There is no negative for weight training.

ricepig

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 09:58:07 pm
You might be right, but you might not.  I'm looking at it from a be the best you can be point of view.  All the post I ever see on here about how you fix a program, win, win a championship, include dedication, commitment buying in to a vision, so I'm talking about real commitment and that means giving up personal time and making the sacrifice that being a committed multi sport athlete means.

Good luck with that, lol.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/lacrosse/recruiting-road/story/_/id/7057666/coaches-recognize-competitiveness-players-play-multiple-sports

nuttinbuthogs

Interesting viewpoints expressed here.  I think the pressure put on teams and coaches in particular to win drives the need for off season activity.  If players do not participate and that is seen as OK, then expectations for programs should be revisited. Coaches have it tough on both ends it seems.

ricepig

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 11, 2017, 10:07:08 am
Interesting viewpoints expressed here.  I think the pressure put on teams and coaches in particular to win drives the need for off season activity.  If players do not participate and that is seen as OK, then expectations for programs should be revisited. Coaches have it tough on both ends it seems.

I think the players should participate in off season, I don't think that was ever questioned, I also think that kids that wish to play multiple sports be allowed. If they can't maintain there starting roles on either, then the next man up will get the opportunity, but denying a high school kid the chance to enjoy his high school years is ridiculous.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: ricepig on January 11, 2017, 10:44:48 am
I think the players should participate in off season, I don't think that was ever questioned, I also think that kids that wish to play multiple sports be allowed. If they can't maintain there starting roles on either, then the next man up will get the opportunity, but denying a high school kid the chance to enjoy his high school years is ridiculous.

Agree with that! I do see how some kids might try to neglect the hard and tedious job of off season training and that should be stressed to all. 

OLDSCHOOL82

I don't think denying kids a chance to be a multi sport athlete happens very often.  But I also agree, if you play football, offseason weights/speed training/conditioning is key.  It is also key in all other sports and it should be done, regardless of the season as it is good for health, good to set a healthy lifestyle routine, and will help the other sports.  All college/pro sports have insane off season programs.  It just takes some juggling with time.

nuttinbuthogs

The key concept is, dedication, commitment, sacrifice as the route to success.  I hear that's what athletics is supposed to teach?

theoleballcoach

So was there any talk about who might be the next coach?

TigerHawg

game on

Iknewthemwhen

Couple of schools that are looking to replace 1st year HC's out of OK, Fayetteville and Lake Hamilton.  Do you think they will stay in state this go round?

nuttinbuthogs

Thats kinda funny that two Oklahoma coaches bailed after less than a year. 

hogalum05

Would they give Mahan a chance? Might have a lack of HC experience but certainly is no stranger to success. Gotten a lot of hardware throughout the years.

DerekOxford

Quote from: hogalum05 on January 13, 2017, 08:00:41 pm
Would they give Mahan a chance? Might have a lack of HC experience but certainly is no stranger to success. Gotten a lot of hardware throughout the years.

His HC experience was at Mountain Home, where he had next to nothing talent-wise. At Fayetteville, talent is plentiful and you're the only one-school town in the area. They could do a lot worse than promoting Benji.

Brian G

I hear interest is incredible.

I expect a sitting high school head coach with a winning resume or even college to be the leading candidates.

ricepig

Quote from: B.G. on January 14, 2017, 08:39:10 am
I hear interest is incredible.

I expect a sitting high school head coach with a winning resume or even college to be the leading candidates.

Gus!

Jimbo Morphis

R. A.™

has the list been made public yet?

Iknewthemwhen

I hear they are going about this very carefully, the short term of the previous guy has them being cautious.  I'm sure they don't want another quick rehire.  Expect a proven coach.

theoleballcoach

I think Blankenship is a proven coach. Guy made a decision for his family. I'm sure if they could get a hire like that in July, the list in January is out of this world. I am surprised that some media hasn't released the list of applicants though.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: theoleballcoach on January 16, 2017, 09:49:59 pm
I think Blankenship is a proven coach. Guy made a decision for his family. I'm sure if they could get a hire like that in July, the list in January is out of this world. I am surprised that some media hasn't released the list of applicants though.

Wasn't suggesting he was not a proven coach, just that they would go after another proven coach as opposed to an assistant or an OC,DC.  I also think they will try to make sure he plans to be around for a good while.  Another early departure will make those that do the picking look bad.

Iknewthemwhen

My only question about Blankenship is why he did not know that his family was not going to move close to him.  Maybe he didn't know Fayetteville was in Arkansas?

Brian G

The expectation was that BB would be at FHS for several years.

It just changed is all and I think it happened quickly.

whippersnapper

Or maybe Mrs. Blankenship didnt realize how much she would miss her kids and grandkids? Sometimes people forget coaches have wives to take into account as well.

Iknewthemwhen

Things do happen and for whatever reason he left, my point really is that I bet Fayetteville decision makers probably don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

GotInfo?

I could be wrong, but I don't see them hiring a coordinator unless they are from the college level.  This is one of the top jobs in the state, at one of the biggest schools in the state.  It will be an acting HC with a very good record.  I just hope that they keep it in state.

Pat Swilling

I gotta agree with GotInfo.  this job needs to remain in state.  Lot of great Coaches in Ark who could lead this team.

airitout

Quote from: GotInfo? on January 17, 2017, 09:40:01 am
I could be wrong, but I don't see them hiring a coordinator unless they are from the college level.  This is one of the top jobs in the state, at one of the biggest schools in the state.  It will be an acting HC with a very good record.  I just hope that they keep it in state.

why would a coordinator be a bad choice?

Grizzlyfan

Getting a guy like Blankenship was a grand slam, world series winning hire.  It will be next to impossible to duplicate.  The only thing close might be Jones. 

nuttinbuthogs

There are certainly some fine coaches out there and even some in Arkansas, you know we don't always have to go out of state, but getting the guy that is going to come in and stay is a big deal right now.  Not many coaches are going to fail at Fayetteville.  First of all the staff, which will do most of the coaching, is excellent.  The talent is going to be available and it appears they have an excellent budget.

Okieback

Quote from: Oldbadger on January 10, 2017, 11:00:40 pm
Which sport would not benefit from going to the weight room year round?  I keep hearing posters complaining about having to do off-season weight training and I can't think of a negative for that.

Agree, sadly there are still coaches out there that do not believe in the weight room, nor do they want to take the time to learn.  And some believe or not, actually coach football

Okieback

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 13, 2017, 04:22:38 pm
Thats kinda funny that two Oklahoma coaches bailed after less than a year.

Mutual in the Lake, and saying Coach Blankenship bailed, is just flat wrong.

Okieback

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 17, 2017, 11:04:00 am
Getting a guy like Blankenship was a grand slam, world series winning hire.  It will be next to impossible to duplicate.  The only thing close might be Jones.

Agree

theoleballcoach

Dawson seems to win everywhere he goes too. I say if it is instate it is one of those two guys or Bolding from PB, or it's out of state.

Baitshop

Fayetteville is a one school town...how about Barry Lunney Sr. ?

ricepig

Quote from: Baitshop on January 17, 2017, 04:39:56 pm
Fayetteville is a one school town...how about Barry Lunney Sr. ?

And in a couple of years, they hook up again????

theoleballcoach

Word from the players is a choice should be made by Thursday night. Good quick hire.

Brian G

I do believe they have their man.  Just wading through the paperwork.

I do think Wed-Fri is the timeline.

Pat Swilling

sportsguy80

I have heard the same as far as timeline for naming the new head coach. I saw one well known coach earlier this week and he may be the guy. One thing I do know is that it will be an in-state hire unless something drastically changes.

Iknewthemwhen

In state is good.  Would be nice to hire from the staff, I hear that's a 50/50 possibility. Will not confirm, but say its is possible.

Brian G

Not going to be internal unless some major change in philosophy occurred.

nuttinbuthogs

In a coaches philosophy or in the admins philosophy?

Brian G

Admin as far as what kind of experience they are seeking.

nuttinbuthogs

Is it about experience or scheme and philosophy?  If Mahan were to get the nod, what offense and defense would the bulldogs most likely be running?

Brian G

I'm saying they appear to be seeking a proven consistent big time winner if it's a sitting high school coach.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas