• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AND THEN THERE WERE 4

Started by TheESPNGuy, November 20, 2016, 10:42:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WHO DO YOU HAVE WINNING IT ALL???

Pine Bluff High
7 (23.3%)
Russellville High
7 (23.3%)
Greenwood High
15 (50%)
Benton High
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: November 24, 2016, 10:42:15 am

TheESPNGuy

November 20, 2016, 10:42:15 am Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:01:15 am by TheESPNGuy
The Final Four in the 6A playoffs are set. So I've decided to do a small piece & break down this weeks 6A Big 4 Showdown.

http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/BOrL7FJtEea-8KA2nzwbTA/BOrMEFJtEea-8KA2nzwbTA/football-fall-16/2016-centennial-bank-state-football-playoffs--2016-6a-football-state-bracket--.htm

Lets start with the Benton vs Russellville Matchup

Benton: This team lead by Head Coach Brad Harris through out the 2016 season has shown that it has what it takes to challenge any team in 6A. The Panthers are currently (8-4) on the season. Of those 4 L's on Benton's schedule 3 were on the road against pretty talented teams.
Benton 7 @ Bryant 10
Benton 24 @ Russellville 45
Benton 25 @ Greenwood 41
Benton 33 - Lake Hamilton 36

In 2014 the Benton Panthers went 11-1-1, earned a outright 6A South Championship, and found themselves playing for a 6A State Football Championship at War Memorial Stadium. Unfortunately the Panthers fell way short on the big stage falling 10-51 against a very talented Pine Bluff High team whom in which Benton beat in the last game of the regular season to earn the 6A South Crown. Benton entered the 2016 6A playoffs as the #4 Seed out of the 6A West and they seem to be playing their best football of the year as they have picked up two playoffs victories with one of those coming against Jonesboro (9-2) the #1 Seed out of the 6A East.
Benton 42 - Mountain Home 21
Benton 56 @ Jonesboro 52

Russellville: Here is a team lead by Head Coach Billy Dawson that has played just about the best football across the 6A landscape this year. The Cyclones (10-1) fell just short of a perfect 2016 regular season record with a 24-27 lost to the Greenwood Bulldogs. Other than that one blemish on their record the Cyclones haven't had much trouble winning. Russellville entered the 2016 6A Playoffs as the #2 Seed out of the 6A West. Coming off a bye week the Cyclones picked up where they left off by winning in convincing fashion 34-7 against the #3 Seed out of the 6A East West Memphis. Something worth noting is Russellville has never won a State Championship in football in school history. Is this the year they're finally able to get it done?

Benton and Russellville have only met four times on the gridiron since 2004 with Benton leading the series 3-1. Russellville defeated Benton earlier this season 45-24. This game should be a pretty hard fought battle but as for me I think the Cyclones are the real deal this year and I am going with Russellville in this one! Sorry Benton fans.

Last but not least the Pine Bluff vs Greenwood Matchup

Greenwood: What more is there to say about this program lead by Head Coach Rick Jones? Greenwood High (11-0) has no doubt been one of the most dominate football programs in the state of Arkansas year in and year out. Up until this point the Bulldogs have only lost 1 game in the past two seasons going (23-1). Ironically that one lost came to the hands of Pine Bluff High in the 2015 6A State Championship by the score of 21-28. The Bulldogs are currently the #1 Seed out of the 6A West with convincing victories over its opponents all season. As dominate as the Bulldogs have been they haven't won a State Title since 2012 when they defeated Pine Bluff High 51-44 in War Memorial.

Pine Bluff High: The Zebras (8-2) with out a doubt are one of the best football programs in the United States with a total of 23 State Football Titles. Of those 23 titles the Z's have won back to back titles in the 2014 & 2015 seasons. As it stands right now they are the team to beat in class 6A no matter how you look at it. This team lead by Head Coach Bobby Bolding has reached the 6A State Football Championship Game 5 out of the past 7 years which is actually remarkable. Currently over the past 2 seasons the Zebras are (21-2) and they are the #2 Seed out of the 6A East in the 2016 6A Playoffs. The Z's lost two close games on the road this year.
Pine Bluff 27 @ Cabot 28
Pine Bluff 34 @ Jonesboro 41

Greenwood and Pine Bluff have only met 3 times with 2 of those meetings being in Little Rock for a 6A State Football  Championship on the line in which they have split (1-1). Pine Bluff leads the all-time series with Greenwood (2-1). The Zebras are one of the few teams in the state of Arkansas that have actually went to Greenwood and walked away with a victory. This is a match up of arguably two of the best high school football programs in the state of Arkansas especially in 6A. Better believe its going to be a very very very physical game. In terms of my choice on the winner I'm going to roll with the Pine Bluff High Zebras in a very tight one! I'm sure I'll be hearing from the Bulldog fans as they're going to disagree but I feel the Z's will make one or two better plays than Greenwood as they continue their quest for a 3rd straight 6A Championship.   

My Prediction!
2016 6A State Championship Game: Russellville vs Pine Bluff

Be sure to vote & please do give your insight.

Oldbadger

My prediction will be that Benton and Greenwood will be in the state finals at War Memorial.  When Benton played Russellville earlier in the year, they were without two of their starting defensive men.  One a line backer and the other a lineman.  Then we gifted Russellville three TDs in the first quarter.  My feeling is that, not only is Benton playing their best football, but having their entire defensive unit back and not giving away gifts to a team that doesn't need it, Benton can get the win.  I understand that these are two very good teams, so, whoever makes the least mistakes will win.  I'm thinking the winner will be Benton.

As far as Greenwood/Pine Bluff.  They each always are well coached and seem to be able to come up with very good athletes.  I'm thinking Greenwood has the better athletes this year.  Pine Bluff isn't as good this year as the last two, when they were stocked with great players.  They still have some good ones but I believe Greenwood has more at all positions.  I have to admit, however, that all I know of Pine Bluff is what I have read, not having seen them personally.  But, they have been beaten twice this year by Cabot and Jonesboro.  Even thought those are good teams, last years PB team would not have lost to them, especially Cabot.  So, I have to go with Greenwood in this one.

In any case this weekend there will be some good football and I plan to be at Russellville to watch one.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 20, 2016, 11:13:03 am
My prediction will be that Benton and Greenwood will be in the state finals at War Memorial.  When Benton played Russellville earlier in the year, they were without two of their starting defensive men.  One a line backer and the other a lineman.  Then we gifted Russellville three TDs in the first quarter.  My feeling is that, not only is Benton playing their best football, but having their entire defensive unit back and not giving away gifts to a team that doesn't need it, Benton can get the win.  I understand that these are two very good teams, so, whoever makes the least mistakes will win.  I'm thinking the winner will be Benton.

As far as Greenwood/Pine Bluff.  They each always are well coached and seem to be able to come up with very good athletes.  I'm thinking Greenwood has the better athletes this year.  Pine Bluff isn't as good this year as the last two, when they were stocked with great players.  They still have some good ones but I believe Greenwood has more at all positions.  I have to admit, however, that all I know of Pine Bluff is what I have read, not having seen them personally.  But, they have been beaten twice this year by Cabot and Jonesboro.  Even thought those are good teams, last years PB team would not have lost to them, especially Cabot.  So, I have to go with Greenwood in this one.

In any case this weekend there will be some good football and I plan to be at Russellville to watch one.
+1  He is one wise oldbadger!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

itsslim

Pine Bluff also won state in 93' '94 and '95, lets not forget these seniors already have 2 rings, trying to repeat history by winning their 3rd. It's gonna be tough but winning never is. Simeon Blair transferred to PBHS to win a state Champinship, his farther made the move to put him in this position. These young men won't be denied. It's not a lot of positive in PB, this is an outlet for a lot of them. The only way out. PB will 3 peat folks........

bulldogger15

Quote from: itsslim on November 20, 2016, 06:38:50 pm
Pine Bluff also won state in 93' '94 and '95, lets not forget these seniors already have 2 rings, trying to repeat history by winning their 3rd. It's gonna be tough but winning never is. Simeon Blair transferred to PBHS to win a state Champinship, his farther made the move to put him in this position. These young men won't be denied. It's not a lot of positive in PB, this is an outlet for a lot of them. The only way out. PB will 3 peat folks........
There goes the neighborhood. Slim speaks...

GO BULLDOGS!!!

itsslim

Lol win a championship then u can post something until then shut up

beach bum

Benton and Russellville will be epic....

Walter

Quote from: TheESPNGuy on November 20, 2016, 10:42:15 am
Of those 4 L's on Benton's schedule 3 were on the road against pretty talented teams.

Not that it matters the Salt bowl was at a neutral stadium, War Memorial. It was Bryant's turn to be listed as home team.

Wildcat Football

Russellville will be supercharged and pumped for this game, which may lead to a blowout or being so anxious they make critical mistakes. My gut tells me Dawson will have them in the right state of mind.  This game is a tough to call for me.  Benton has to rise to the occassion and minimize the big plays, which were in abundance at JB - expecting Russellville to go deep early.  The team that controls field position early will set the tone.  I thought the first game if Benton removes spotting them 3 TD's on turnovers, it was a fairly even game - especially in the second half.  Not many expect Benton to win this game aside from the loyalists, so this underdog role could work in their favor.  The home team has the advantage and usually gets the calls from the officials.  I hope the officials don't determine the outcome of this game.  Let the kids play! Defense wins championships too, Cyclones advantage.  Benton has to rise up, their defense has played well but inconsistent at times.  Again, who wants it the most at this stage.

Valleysports

I can assure you Russellville hasn't gotten the home team calls lately!  The AAA refs sent to Russellville lately, have made some very blatant mistakes against Russellville.  Dawson even offered to hold a midfield officiating class, last week, apparently they didn't want to participate.

Wildcat Football

I hear you it is a mixed bag at times.  The crew that worked Mountain Home game at Benton was the best I've ever seen.  I hope that crew works the game.  You could tell they were in command and confident the whole game.  The lead ref was about 6'6.  They were fair and accurate on all calls, best I could tell.  We've all been the beneficiary of bad calls, but admire them for what they do nonetheless taking the time to participate in high school sports.  I've been in games when there were blanant calls because they didn't like the coach, but this was a basketball game.

Pr8hd

I overheard a guy at a restaurant not too long ago who was evidently a local official. Anyway, I was not eavesdropping, but he was there with several buddies drinking, they were a little loud and enjoying themselves. The topic got on football and local athletics then GW somehow and the consensus was they hated their football team (obviously a bunch of Alma and SS alums- not kidding here as heard one say as much).  The "official" went on to say not only did he hate officiating games there, but he hated CRJ and said he was a pain in the rear to deal with. Then, he proceeded to tell a story how GW was up a few scores on a team in the playoffs and he demanded a measurement on a 4th down and to paraphrase him "gave them the business". It struck me as funny, but probably the truth as CRJ is very detail oriented and known to drop a few "Good Gosh A Friday"s when things aren't done right. He's not one to cuss so that's his substitute go to cuss phrase.

I think it's all part of the job though as an official in that one team is gong to be pleased and the other not so much with most every call or action you do or don't do. I know several guys that are officials and I am not envious of them at all. As fans, we get upset at bad or no calls and definitely don't question the favorable calls that go for our respective teams. It's a tough gig and they are only human, so if a coach rubs them wrong or something else it would be hard to remain impartial, but by and large these guys do and they normally do a solid job.   

PA Dad

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 23, 2016, 10:36:25 am
I overheard a guy at a restaurant not too long ago who was evidently a local official. Anyway, I was not eavesdropping, but he was there with several buddies drinking, they were a little loud and enjoying themselves. The topic got on football and local athletics then GW somehow and the consensus was they hated their football team (obviously a bunch of Alma and SS alums- not kidding here as heard one say as much).  The "official" went on to say not only did he hate officiating games there, but he hated CRJ and said he was a pain in the rear to deal with. Then, he proceeded to tell a story how GW was up a few scores on a team in the playoffs and he demanded a measurement on a 4th down and to paraphrase him "gave them the business". It struck me as funny, but probably the truth as CRJ is very detail oriented and known to drop a few "Good Gosh A Friday"s when things aren't done right. He's not one to cuss so that's his substitute go to cuss phrase.

I think it's all part of the job though as an official in that one team is gong to be pleased and the other not so much with most every call or action you do or don't do. I know several guys that are officials and I am not envious of them at all. As fans, we get upset at bad or no calls and definitely don't question the favorable calls that go for our respective teams. It's a tough gig and they are only human, so if a coach rubs them wrong or something else it would be hard to remain impartial, but by and large these guys do and they normally do a solid job.   

+1.  One of my pet peeves is fans booing the officials.  Sure, they make mistakes but for the most part they do a good job.  I don't think they are consciously tying to favor one team over another.  And, if the fans think it is an easy job, maybe they should try to do it.

I'm not an official and never have been.  But I admire the job they do for little pay.  They do it because they love the game.  Give them some respect.

Pr8hd

Quote from: PA Dad on November 23, 2016, 10:49:30 am
And, if the fans think it is an easy job, maybe they should try to do it.
+1
It's easy to forget this and the same could be said of the volunteer youth coaches of various sports. You are not going to make every parent happy all the time plus the "pay" is even more lousy.   

Actually, it's pretty true regarding officiating that a penalty could literally be called both ways on most every play of a game. The players or coaches are not flawless so not sure why we expect an official to be. I think we just hold them to higher standards then we hold ourselves.   

Oldbadger

Gonna let FF go for a couple of days.  All you FF  posters I hope and pray you all have a great Thanksgiving!

maxswine

Pr8hd

Quote from: maxswine on November 23, 2016, 05:02:38 pm

and

+1 Max, those are awesome, never seen them -thanks for sharing!!     :D

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas