• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback Basketball 2016-2017

Started by WPWells, November 12, 2016, 09:49:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

zebradynasty

Quote from: SackAttack on February 17, 2017, 03:22:23 pm
So who is to blame for the poor recruiting and player evaluations that left the gaping holes?

Mike same as EVERY coach that has ever coached basketball at Fayettville. Just not a place that will consistently attract top talent every year. There will always be holes sometimes they'll get bigger if players transfer, quit or go pro.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 17, 2017, 11:11:17 pm
Mike same as EVERY coach that has ever coached basketball at Fayettville. Just not a place that will consistently attract top talent every year. There will always be holes sometimes they'll get bigger if players transfer, quit or go pro.
your exactly right.. and that goes for all of the SEC except Kentucky and Florida, Florida is a hotspot and Kentucky just has Cal, it's overall just not a good basketball conference..

DerekOxford

February 18, 2017, 07:56:53 am #402 Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:24:42 am by DerekOxford
Need a big crowd tonight and the Hogs need to WIN the game with it.

Hogs haven't won a game in front of a crowd of over 18,000 since the LSU game in 2014 when they brought back the Final Four teams. It's time to show up and show out.

bdubyab60

OM has been playing well I'm expecting a tough game.

bdubyab60

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 18, 2017, 12:32:55 am
your exactly right.. and that goes for all of the SEC except Kentucky and Florida, Florida is a hotspot and Kentucky just has Cal, it's overall just not a good basketball conference..
Im not sure that Florida reloads like Kentucky does. But I would say that those schools expect those players to leave. Cal knows how many one and dones he has.

But there is no reason the should not be able to keep a roster of 7-8 deep SEC caliber players on a regular basis. Then not be forced to fill 7-8 spots in one year with transfers jucos. We are a good enough to program to get good players. Now there is nothing wrong with getting jucos if those are the players we are wanting.

ricepig

Quote from: DerekOxford on February 18, 2017, 07:56:53 am
Need a big crowd tonight and the Hogs need to WIN the game with it.

Hogs haven't won a game in front of a crowd of over 18,000 since the LSU game in 2014 when they brought back the Final Four teams. It's time to show up and show out.

It'll have to be a decent walk up crowd from the baseball game to accomplish that, lots of upper level tickets two days ago. And of course, the students overflowing to the upper deck.

beach bum

A must win at 5 today! This next two are must wins to reach that much better looking 10-5 SEC record. I have no earthly idea how an average team like Ole Miss has had this much success at Bud Walton, but they are 5-1 in our building the last six times we have faced them at the Bud.

Truthfully

Quote from: beach bum on February 18, 2017, 12:58:50 pm
A must win at 5 today! This next two are must wins to reach that much better looking 10-5 SEC record. I have no earthly idea how an average team like Ole Miss has had this much success at Bud Walton, but they are 5-1 in our building the last six times we have faced them at the Bud.
Well their crowds at BWA when playing Ole Miss have not been that great, mainly with us having an average team in recent years ... This year we can still be way above average with some home victories and it will take a LARGE 16,000 -18,000 plus crowd to intimidate Ole Miss. A large fan base will determine if the U of A gets into the NCAA T... Win all home games and we are "in" for sure, even with a Florida loss.
:-\

bdubyab60

AirWarren

Putting the hurt on em.

Love seeing Bobby portis on the sideline showing pride.

AirWarren

This is how we expected this team to play.

beach bum

Get a win Tuesday now and we really would have to blow things at that point....

Lumberjackfan1978

Good win for the hogs.playing good right now.

AirWarren

TAMU. Toss up
Auburn. Win
Florida. Loss.
UGA. Win.

Possible finish of:
23-8. Wins against TAMU, auburn, UGA
22-9. Wins against auburn and UGA
20-11. All losses.
21-10. One win.
24-7. Final four game sweep.

Be nice to be 24-7 heading into the SEC tourney.

ricepig

South Carolina going down to Candy they seem to have hit the wall.

bdubyab60

Could possibly move up to the 3 seed in conference depending on how things play out.

If we can just keep this effort for the rest of the season

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 19, 2017, 08:28:50 am
Could possibly move up to the 3 seed in conference depending on how things play out.

If we can just keep this effort for the rest of the season
if we win Wednesday and SCar loses to Florida then we tied and we have the tie breaker

LRRandy

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on February 18, 2017, 08:27:39 pm
Good win for the hogs.playing good right now.
they sure looked like a tourney team these last few games.

beach bum

Bracketology was updated today by Joe Lunardi and he has us at a 9 seed.... I hope we finish strong and get up to a 7 seed or even end up a 10 or 11 seed before we were in that 8/9 game. 10 and 11 seeds have history having going further than the 8/9 who then plays the 1 seed.

AirWarren

fbhound

Ho Hum... Not clicking that well on all cylinders. Guards too slow the last 8 minutes. Moses NOT able to compete with the three 6'10" guys of A&M. Hannah seems "off" tonight. All in all, this close at half-time means we are in trouble before a quite, unenergetic home crowd. Come on Hog fans!!
The first 5-6 minutes of second half will set the tone for us hopefully. Gotta be aggressive!!! HERE is where coaching kicks in at half-time in the locker room... We shall see!

beach bum

Barford sure is one of those guys I wouldn't be able to stand if he played for another team... but man am I glad he is on our team. He plays with an edge for sure.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on February 22, 2017, 09:21:07 pm
Barford sure is one of those guys I wouldn't be able to stand if he played for another team... but man am I glad he is on our team. He plays with an edge for sure.

We need that edge.

We need more kids like him on the football team.

beach bum

They threw up a stat of how bad we outscore people in the 2nd half compared to the football team. It is night and day. And I really think next year since Hannahs graduates I can see Macon and Barford getting just the green light to do what they want. If they both improved their jumper over the off season they could be a scary duo next year.

AirWarren

21-7 (10-5)

Can't ask for much more this time of year.

bdubyab60

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on February 22, 2017, 09:27:15 pm
They threw up a stat of how bad we outscore people in the 2nd half compared to the football team. It is night and day. And I really think next year since Hannahs graduates I can see Macon and Barford getting just the green light to do what they want. If they both improved their jumper over the off season they could be a scary duo next year.

Along with the next recruiting class, we MIGHT be a dangerous team.

beach bum

Win 2 of the next 3 and we are in no matter what happens at the SEC tourney. The bubble is just so weak when you see 12 and 13 loss teams on Lunardi's "first 4 out".... Saturday at Auburn should be a win, but it won't be a cake walk by any means. We all remember losing at Mizzou like it was yesterday.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on February 22, 2017, 09:34:51 pm
Win 2 of the next 3 and we are in no matter what happens at the SEC tourney. The bubble is just so weak when you see 12 and 13 loss teams on Lunardi's "first 4 out".... Saturday at Auburn should be a win, but it won't be a cake walk by any means. We all remember losing at Mizzou like it was yesterday.

Be nice to finish 23-7.

Romeo

When Barford, Hannahs and Macon are all on point this is a tough team to beat.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on February 22, 2017, 10:10:29 pm
When Barford, Hannahs and Macon are all on point this is a tough team to beat.

And when trey and manny come to play, same thing.

HSFBF

I just do not know why we can not play well in the first half and get ahead and keep pulling ahead before we relax. The "standard" way we usually play in the first 10-15 minutes is relaxed, un-energized and taking a BIG chance on a good team staying close or being ahead and giving them momentum to carry on into the 2nd half. The situation of letting a team play us too close, like last night, COULD come back to haunt us if we make just 2-3 mistakes in the closing minutes and/or start missing shots/free throws and fouling out.  :-[

Texas A&M had FIVE guys play 30-37 minutes! Unheard of! They had a shallow bench and only 3 more played. U of A had 8 guys play 18-28 minutes and 3 more filled in too.. and we could NOT wear A and M down til VERY late.. And A&M had the tallest guys we have faced all year and still often beat us back down the court and made shots within a few seconds MANY times. Thank goodness the "team" came alive the final 3-4 minutes and played some defense and made some shots. But, what happens if we are out of sync the last 3-4 minutes?? Lose to someone like Alabama on Saturday?  We need a high 8-9 NCAA T spot to have a chance to win a couple of games, like in the old days. With inspired play, we might could reach past the regionals!   Fingers will be crossed Saturday like they were last night!!  ;D

ricepig

zebradynasty

Auburn at home will be tough if they are hitting threes! I hope we don't do a lot of trapping and just make sure we keep a man on a shooter. We give up wide open 3's....I doubt we win.

HSFBF

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2017, 03:20:02 pm
Auburn on Saturday.
TU, my mistake, yes Auburn.... At least it "starts" with an A !!! LOL  ;)
Auburn should be easy but you still gotta play the game. Wonder if Malzahn will be interviewed by Pat Bradley and say a big "hello" to his friends back in Arkansas?  ;)

ricepig

Quote from: HSFBF on February 23, 2017, 04:36:54 pm
TU, my mistake, yes Auburn.... At least it "starts" with an A !!! LOL  ;)
Auburn should be easy but you still gotta play the game. Wonder if Malzahn will be interviewed by Pat Bradley and say a big "hello" to his friends back in Arkansas?  ;)

Lol, we don't play "easy" games any more, we'll be down a minimum of 10-12 at some point in the first half!

AirWarren

BannerMountainMan

Never got down after the first 5 minutes and kept it up!! Woo Pig and now we are a lock..now we just playing for seeding

BannerMountainMan

Wednesday night game is one of the biggest games in a while..hype wise for Arky

Lumberjackfan1978

Hogs really playing a lot better ball now

fbhound

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on February 26, 2017, 09:31:32 pm
Hogs really playing a lot better ball now
Despite losing Hannahs, Kingsley and Watkins, those players left over plus great talent coming in, there should be some top 20 rankings for the Hogs next year, maybe even top 15. I hope the rankings THIS week will at least have the Hogs in "Others Listed" category! LOL
Florida?  Well, it's doubtful U of A can win down there but we must keep it CLOSE to not lose a lot of RPI ranking and get a good NCAA slot. Oh, and we should at least have ONE win in the SEC tournament to make things "look good".  I think we are 'in' unless we lose at Florida and the last home game and in the SEC tournament's first game. 3 losses in a row "could" make things interesting.

bdubyab60

I agree. We can lose to FL and be ok. The game needs to be close though, cant get destroyed, even on the road. 3 straight losses wont look good need to take care of business at home against UGA. 2-2 the rest of the way and we may still be in. A win at FL could lock the door for us getting in.

LRRandy

This team has been fun to watch. I hope they continue to peek and play their best ball over the next 4 weeks. A few wins in the NCAA tournament would be really exciting.

AirWarren

Where are the projecting us to play?

bdubyab60

I think someone had us in Tulsa but not sure.

Romeo

This Arkansas team is much different from the team that played Florida in Dec. This team trusts each other more.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on February 27, 2017, 02:33:57 pm
This Arkansas team is much different from the team that played Florida in Dec. This team trusts each other more.

Man. I love seeing barford driving to the rim like he has been doing. I like his aggression.

LRRandy

Quote from: AirWarren on February 27, 2017, 03:21:53 pm
Man. I love seeing barford driving to the rim like he has been doing. I like his aggression.
my son was home this weekend ( he attends UofA) and we watched the game together. I told him I thought Barford was the type of player that could take over and have a team ride him to a couple tourney wins. Not that there aren't other players and he would have to. Not my point. Just that he has a will to get to the basket and finish that not all players have but most elite players do.

Truthfully

Quote from: LRRandy on February 27, 2017, 05:48:49 pm
I thought Barford was the type of player that could take over and have a team ride him to a couple tourney wins.Just that he has a will to get to the basket and finish that not all players have but most elite players do.
Hannahs does a LOT of that too, he can forget the 3 and then drive the lanes etc. Look at the game that he single handedly took over the last 5 minutes and scored like 13 points to help us win when we were behind 15 points!!  He does NOT stand around. Goes for the rebounds too. And claps for the good things OTHER teammates do on the court. We will miss him next year. The team loves his attitude I am told.
Go Hogs...

AirWarren

Quote from: LRRandy on February 27, 2017, 05:48:49 pm
my son was home this weekend ( he attends UofA) and we watched the game together. I told him I thought Barford was the type of player that could take over and have a team ride him to a couple tourney wins. Not that there aren't other players and he would have to. Not my point. Just that he has a will to get to the basket and finish that not all players have but most elite players do.

Barford has that rollin with Nolan street attitude. We have been missing that for a long time. I like that get in your face and disrupt the court type kid.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas