• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pine Bluff High School "Respect or No Respect"

Started by TheESPNGuy, November 09, 2016, 10:12:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: TheESPNGuy on November 10, 2016, 09:50:57 am
I'm only curious of the response from those like yourself whom seem to really not know much about the Zebras or keep up with them or their 6A conference as to why you think the way that you do. I get your point fully about the coverage differences across the state except the comment about "look to the PB Commercial for your respect". There is no distraught at all about the purpose of this post. It's simply in a way an opinion poll. I'm one of those guys in large part because I cover sports for a living that likes to know what people really think. It's not like I'm using this information for a story or anything its simple blogging/communicating lol. Now I see all of this in this way. I'm one of those guys where regardless of location I keep up with all teams that have been successful over a period of time and in this case I favor keeping up with the 7A & 6A conferences in Arkansas in larger part because of the level of competition but I'm not bias towards any team even with me being a Pine Bluff High alum. I call a spade a spade when I see it. Now because of one of your statements above I can tell you probably don't keep up with the 6A Teams much outside of maybe Greenwood because you asked a question about not being sure about which 7A teams the Z's have played recently. I know the history in terms of schedules of all the 6A & 7A members. I'm sure you're very knowledgeable about all the teams the 7A West and Greenwood have played in recent years (I could be assuming) but that's my point. Pine Bluff High has been perhaps one of the Top 5 Football Programs year in and year out in the state over the past 8 years but even you don't pay them much attention. WHY??? So it goes back to my original question "Respect or No Respect". I'm wondering with that much success why don't they catch people like you or others attention like Bentonville, Fayetteville, Greenwood, etc do regardless of location in the state. Now in no way am I begging for you or anyone respect at all but if good football is being played by a team year in and year why not look more into them as a fan of good football just like the other schools mentioned above from Northwest Arkansas. You get what I'm saying and I'm not saying that in a negative way?   

Lol, I'm from Jonesboro, never been to GW, again you take a few comments on a message board and formulate an opinion. I've been around 6A sports from the beginning, so don't think you are going to give me some lecture on it.

Also, what makes you think I care about any other team? Why don't you do a little research, and it would have been crystal clear to you, my allegiance. Good luck on your research, I fail to see this "lack of respect", but by all means, beat that drum.

TheESPNGuy

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2016, 10:01:04 am
Lol, I'm from Jonesboro, never been to GW, again you take a few comments on a message board and formulate an opinion. I've been around 6A sports from the beginning, so don't think you are going to give me some lecture on it.

Also, what makes you think I care about any other team? Why don't you do a little research, and it would have been crystal clear to you, my allegiance. Good luck on your research, I fail to see this "lack of respect", but by all means, beat that drum.

I used you as a character example to see my point of where I'm coming from. I just so happened to put you in a position as if you were a person from lets say NWA with that mindset. This entire thing is nothing more than opinion. Jonesboro huh??? I can really tell now why you seem to come across the way that you do lol. It's all love regardless bro

Oldbadger

Most posters on this board have a team they support and follow.  You will find me following Benton and Arkadelphia.  I keep up with PB only when it is germane to those teams.  Others, I am sure, do the same.  Pine Bluff posters do that for PB.  So, just because we don't jump on here and shout the virtues of PB football doesn't mean any disrespect.  We just support our teams.  You will find most posters on here know what they are talking about.  One or two may act like jerks sometimes, but only because they can hide behind a keyboard.  I have met several posters on here and have sent PMs to many of them when I feel like what I want to say shouldn't be for general consumption.  All in all, they are well-informed and good people.  I repeat however, respect or disrespect cannot be determined here, but you can get a good bit of info on Arkansas football.

ricepig

Quote from: TheESPNGuy on November 10, 2016, 10:20:37 am
I used you as a character example to see my point of where I'm coming from. I just so happened to put you in a position as if you were a person from lets say NWA with that mindset. This entire thing is nothing more than opinion. Jonesboro huh??? I can really tell now why you seem to come across the way that you do lol. It's all love regardless bro

1-0 baby, lol. I'm glad PB is in our conference, it adds to it. I'm not sure they will stay if the next enrollment cycle stays the same with Texarkana dropping to 5A, but I know a lot more on PB than you would think.

I'll add something to your discussion, lots of people wrote PB off after the long dry period between titles, during that period, Fay, Bentonville, and GW were winning. I really don't keep up with 5A and below, so I couldn't comment on schools there that would have led the discussion.

Wildcat Football

No one respects PB more than me.  I said last year's team was one of the best of all time. I am an ED and Benton fan, yet I was at last year's WM final and rooting for the Z's, and it was fun!  Now, I do know their fans are passionate and only negative is the dogpound sitting on visitors side and taunting visitor fans, sort of. I love their passion towards their team and player's talent. It's what makes HS football fun. I am also a fan of Coach BB and his family.  PB has the best concession food too, outside the stadium in the food trucks.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Oldbadger on November 10, 2016, 10:28:10 am
Most posters on this board have a team they support and follow.  You will find me following Benton and Arkadelphia.  I keep up with PB only when it is germane to those teams.  Others, I am sure, do the same.  Pine Bluff posters do that for PB.  So, just because we don't jump on here and shout the virtues of PB football doesn't mean any disrespect.  We just support our teams.  You will find most posters on here know what they are talking about.  One or two may act like jerks sometimes, but only because they can hide behind a keyboard.  I have met several posters on here and have sent PMs to many of them when I feel like what I want to say shouldn't be for general consumption.  All in all, they are well-informed and good people.  I repeat however, respect or disrespect cannot be determined here, but you can get a good bit of info on Arkansas football.

+1

I think this sums up best. GW is my alma mater( along with my wife) and where at least 2 of my kids will graduate with one being a former player, the other a trainer, and the last maybe another future Bulldog in 8 years or so.  So, obviously my views are towards GW as it's mostly what I know. However, for HS knowledge, I do watch the highlights on tv on Fearless Friday along with following certain posters on the board for info. Most are just passionate about their teams. Some are really good sources for info, while some are just here to troll people. Also, I like to pay attention to the local teams in my area.

I can see a little of what you mean in the being successful, but yet feeling overshadowed to some degree. 

As far as comparing GW to PB historically, GW is really just a blip on the radar. Any one with any knowledge at all should realize that. I do feel like GW under Peacock first and now mostly Jones has made them relevant from a state perspective and that success I believe has generally translated into respect statewide, I think. PB should not feel disrespected though in anyway. It's special to win one, let alone win multiple titles in consecutive years and PB has given themselves the chance a lot.

itsslim

November 10, 2016, 01:17:22 pm #56 Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:19:14 pm by itsslim
Ok enough of the BS, everyone skating around this issue, a lot of the posters on here have "some" respect for PBHS football program, but this forum is not a gauge of media attention. Not bashing either. The major media outlets are in NWA closer to the Razorbacks and in LR. Teams below LR rarely get coverage. Be it so most schools below LR are 6A and below. Most 7A schools are there in NWA and get the most respect. I won't say they don't respect PB, they just don't cover them or publicize them like I feel they should. PB lost 17 starters from last years team 9 of those guys signed to play college football, 2 signed to play college baseball, so 11 signees!! That's a nice accomplishment for any school!!!And also the big issue PBHS is a minority school now, and just being honest with the crime issues and decline in the economy no one really wants to come and cover the Zebras. Some will hate this post and hate me too. But I'm just speaking my mind. Some will say I don't know what I'm talking about and that's fine too, but like i said I haven't missed a zebra game since 2007. I was there when they ended the streak in Greenwood. I mean even the basketball team has been in the state championship game in back to back years, right with the football team. Still no love from the "big wigs". The schools in NWA have ties to the U of A and are in close proximity to the university. PBHS is in close proximity to UAPB, what media outlet covers them? It is what it is!! And it's the ZPOUND, why would they be zebras sitting in a dog pound?

Wildcat Football

I think your points are valid coming from an older white male.  I did think KATV and the other LR channels covered PB football pretty extensively last year and the preseason.  I do think it is convenient for some LR outlet stations to cover teams like Cabot, Conway, Bryant, and Benton....but PB is only 35-40 minutes down the road too.  And, I did notice this year the Dem-Gazette has a weekly section devoted to just UAPB football.  PB has phenomenal tradition and history.  I did not know what it would feel like sitting in middle of PB fans during the state championship game last year, but afterwards felt proud of the team and their fans, and happy for the team as 6A South rep.  I can't speak for all of us, but I do see your points. Thanks for the correction on the Z-Pound too, duly noted.

Oldbadger

November 10, 2016, 01:46:42 pm #58 Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 01:49:24 pm by Oldbadger
So, if I understand what you are saying "itsslim", it is the press that is being disrespectful.  Well, it seems that the man who started this string might just be able to help.  However, if you look at the lousy way the Demo/Gaz covers most high school football anymore, it leaves a lot to be desired.  Rarely anything about Arkadelphia. But, you know, with over two hundred teams in the state, hard to cover them all and make everyone happy.  Just have to depend on you hometown paper it seems.

itsslim

Yea two valid points, not saying they disrespect pb, but I honestly think they overlook the southern region altogether. The democrat does do a UAPB article. Thanks for understanding guys. Perfect example Kamron Mays Hunt some of you may or may not know him, lived in pb two years ago, now he plays football, basketball, and baseball for Bentonville High, for the past two years. This kid has been all over the news media in NWA. His mom moved him there for this very reason. More exposure and media attention. It's working, if you google him you will see. He is actually a better baseball player. Here in pb he was known but ONLY here in PB. It makes a difference.

ricepig

Quote from: itsslim on November 10, 2016, 01:17:22 pm
Ok enough of the BS, everyone skating around this issue, a lot of the posters on here have "some" respect for PBHS football program, but this forum is not a gauge of media attention. Not bashing either. The major media outlets are in NWA closer to the Razorbacks and in LR. Teams below LR rarely get coverage. Be it so most schools below LR are 6A and below. Most 7A schools are there in NWA and get the most respect. I won't say they don't respect PB, they just don't cover them or publicize them like I feel they should. PB lost 17 starters from last years team 9 of those guys signed to play college football, 2 signed to play college baseball, so 11 signees!! That's a nice accomplishment for any school!!!And also the big issue PBHS is a minority school now, and just being honest with the crime issues and decline in the economy no one really wants to come and cover the Zebras. Some will hate this post and hate me too. But I'm just speaking my mind. Some will say I don't know what I'm talking about and that's fine too, but like i said I haven't missed a zebra game since 2007. I was there when they ended the streak in Greenwood. I mean even the basketball team has been in the state championship game in back to back years, right with the football team. Still no love from the "big wigs". The schools in NWA have ties to the U of A and are in close proximity to the university. PBHS is in close proximity to UAPB, what media outlet covers them? It is what it is!! And it's the ZPOUND, why would they be zebras sitting in a dog pound?

The major media outlets in the state are in LR, LR-PB is #56, NWA#100.
http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

itsslim

Pr8hd

Newspapers are dying out though, I know most newspapers have had a huge fall out in staff which means less coverage or less people to cover the areas. Most schools around here get better coverage than they did in the past, but I know those guys are having to do more with less these days.

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 10, 2016, 04:50:10 pm
Newspapers are dying out though, I know most newspapers have had a huge fall out in staff which means less coverage or less people to cover the areas. Most schools around here get better coverage than they did in the past, but I know those guys are having to do more with less these days.

No doubt, but the schools in NWA generally have a beat reporter, or someone who is at their games. The LR guys just pick and choose what's an attractive game within about 30-40 miles of LR. I'm sure the Ft. Smith/GW/Alma/VB schools get someone from the SWT. The Jonesboro schools have someone who covers them, or the larger ones do.

Pr8hd

Quote from: ricepig on November 10, 2016, 04:56:04 pm
No doubt, but the schools in NWA generally have a beat reporter, or someone who is at their games. The LR guys just pick and choose what's an attractive game within about 30-40 miles of LR. I'm sure the Ft. Smith/GW/Alma/VB schools get someone from the SWT. The Jonesboro schools have someone who covers them, or the larger ones do.

The Times Record used to have a writer assigned to each school, but that is long gone now. I think they have 2-3 guys tops now in the way of sportswriters. Leland Barclay covers GW alot and does an excellent job, as does Kevin Taylor. They all do a good job, but I think they are pretty overworked trying to get to everything. I read it online more than anything nowadays. I can read about most any team in the state that way. It's not all in one nice collective though. 

itsslim

Yea u all are correct. At this PBHS game holla back later

mtindian42

bulldogger15

Quote from: 2000ZEBRA on November 10, 2016, 08:41:24 am
I'm new to this Forum but I think alot of 7A schools are scared to play 6A schools and Pine Bluff is one they are scared of. Our tradition is the strongest in the state but alot of schools don't understand, so as we continue to win then they have no reason not to give us our respect. We deserve it
Wrong.... Watch the Greenwood Bulldogs when they play Pine Bluff in a couple weeks and see how "scared" they are of the Zebras. The Zebras have earned the Bulldogs respect on the field several times, but the Bulldogs won't be "scared" one bit.

Get realz....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

November 15, 2016, 08:32:16 am #69 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:36:19 am by CARDINAL PRIDE!!!
Quote from: bulldogger15 on November 15, 2016, 08:22:29 am
Wrong.... Watch the Greenwood Bulldogs when they play Pine Bluff in a couple weeks and see how "scared" they are of the Zebras. The Zebras have earned the Bulldogs respect on the field several times, but the Bulldogs won't be "scared" one bit.

Get realz....

GO BULLDOGS!!!

There is no Zebra team that is scared of Greenwood, the Z's taking the playoffs one game at a time first off Searcy and if you all are lucky to win Friday I will see you in Greenwood. Now Pine Bluff respect Greenwood but heck you'll respect Pine Bluff too unless Greenwood wants to play a disrepectful game next week and that's not the game Greenwood wants to play. Greenwood is good don't take my statement out of content I respect their abilities but Pine Bluff is not one of the south teams that you not just go beat on and be up two scores and give up Pine Bluff have too pride.  It's not a rival game if the same team keeps winning Bullcrapper15!!! LOL!!!

bulldogger15

Come on Cardinal Parade, "It's not a rival game if the same team keeps winning"?

Go ask Alma if their last 12 losses to Greenwood have kept the rivalry sidelined? I'm sure Alma is looking for a way out now, but it's been fun smashing the Airedales year after year after they dominated the Bulldogs for so long. Greenwood didn't run either.

FS Southside and FS Northside have gotten their fair amount of spankings from the Bulldogs of late as well.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

protegewill

Quote from: itsslim on November 10, 2016, 01:17:22 pm

+3

PrivateLesson

One positive is that the Greenwood and Pinebluff game will be covered.   Anyone who knows football and the reputation of the program and coaches, knows that PB is a very good championship program.   I don't think anyone questions that.   It probably falls like others have mentioned to the location.   Best of luck to PB! 

Wildcat_Booster

November 25, 2016, 06:58:17 am #73 Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:02:27 am by Wildcat_Booster
Quote from: TheESPNGuy on November 09, 2016, 09:31:43 pm
One of the reasons why I asked Respect or No Respect is because Pine Bluff High doesn't get much or hardly any exposure in the Nothwest Arkansas area which in large part makes it rough for people across the state particular in that area to really understand what kind of program the Zebras have. People in that area are so loaded with 7A teams that I honestly feel they look down on the rest of the state in terms of competition. Pine Bluff High finished in the MaxPrep Top 100 last year going undefeated (13-0) with victories over 7A teams Fort Smith Northside (our longest active rival) & North Little Rock as well as a victory of 6A power Greenwood. The lack of exposure in that area and because of the great distance really plays apart when it comes to people respecting the program or even keeping up with them. In the past the Z's have also played Fayetteville, Fort Smith Southside, & Bentonville back in the old 5A set up. So I think you can better understand the post now and what I am asking.
[/quote

I think it's El Dorado that doesn't get the respect not PB. PB has too many state titles from the 70's and 80's and now this decade not to have the respect. El Dorado won 3 in a row, 09-10-11 and again in 13. 4 in 6 years is mighty impressive. Scott Reed has taken the Cats to a different level not just wins and losses but accountability on and off the field.

Topdog1

Quote from: itsslim on November 09, 2016, 07:03:21 pm
My bad for not joining fearless Friday the day it opened!!! Because I didn't I'm not a fan lol!! Ok 👌🏾

Been reading posts for years.  1st one right here where I actually post.  Greenwood is a 1/5 of the population and 200 less students than Pine Bluff.  Does that deserve some respect when competing against bigger schools?

Coach Venny Slocombe

PB and GW are both schools that deserve ALOT of respect. PB has a rich history of going to and winning state championships. GW didn't really become a major player until Peacock won that first state championship and then the hiring of Rick Jones. PB has been rich in tradition for years now. ZD has it posted on his sig line of how many SC's and CC's they have won. I think all fans respect PB and their athletes...
But where I really believe that PB get's no respect in the state of Arkansas is from the UofA. That school has had some major talent over the years that Arkansas didn't even look at. Now, don't ask me to name them all because I can't. ZD and a couple others probably can. JMO... ;)

Maybe it's a south thing with the UofA because we have had players not only from PB...but look at some of the Warren players that went to Tennessee and as of late Kenneth Dixon who is now playing with the Ravens...crazy...

Topdog1

Quote from: Topdog1 on November 25, 2016, 08:40:58 am
Been reading posts for years.  1st one right here where I actually post.  Greenwood is a 1/5 of the population and 200 less students than Pine Bluff.  Does that deserve some respect when competing against bigger schools?

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20161125/football-greenwood-pine-bluff-no-strangers-in-postseason
Nothing to do with post, but good article.

The Zebra Successor

November 25, 2016, 10:42:35 am #77 Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:44:40 am by The Zebra Successor
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 25, 2016, 09:47:57 am
PB and GW are both schools that deserve ALOT of respect. PB has a rich history of going to and winning state championships. GW didn't really become a major player until Peacock won that first state championship and then the hiring of Rick Jones. PB has been rich in tradition for years now. ZD has it posted on his sig line of how many SC's and CC's they have won. I think all fans respect PB and their athletes...
But where I really believe that PB get's no respect in the state of Arkansas is from the UofA. That school has had some major talent over the years that Arkansas didn't even look at. Now, don't ask me to name them all because I can't. ZD and a couple others probably can. JMO... ;)

Maybe it's a south thing with the UofA because we have had players not only from PB...but look at some of the Warren players that went to Tennessee and as of late Kenneth Dixon who is now playing with the Ravens...crazy...
.    Thats my whole reason of posting on here to prove that point all along U of A doesn't come PBHS..They will recruit around PB but not in PB .. They will have a need at LB next year .. Do u think they will be looking for any  Senior LB in state... I believe yes.... Do you think if the LB has been a 3 year starter and went  to 3 state championship games in a row will they recruit him.. I believe yes.. Now if that player has went to HS and graduated at any school in Arkansas..would U of A give him the opportunity to play..I say no ... My reasoning behind this is from a school with as much history as the Razorbacks in all sports and i do mean all  in sports .. Why the U of A dont come to Pine Bluff High School. i believe if they really set any biased opinions and factors of every prenotion they have for not recruiting aside (even grades because the U of A is not Ivy leauge believe it or not) they will be a national title contenders year in and out

ricepig

Quote from: The Zebra Successor on November 25, 2016, 10:42:35 am
.    Thats my whole reason of posting on here to prove that point all along U of A doesn't come PBHS..They will recruit around PB but not in PB .. They will have a need at LB next year .. Do u think they will be looking for any  Senior LB in state... I believe yes.... Do you think if the LB has been a 3 year starter and went  to 3 state championship games in a row will they recruit him.. I believe yes.. Now if that player has went to HS and graduated at any school in Arkansas..would U of A give him the opportunity to play..I say no ... My reasoning behind this is from a school with as much history as the Razorbacks in all sports and i do mean all  in sports .. Why the U of A dont come to Pine Bluff High School. i believe if they really set any biased opinions and factors of every prenotion they have for not recruiting aside (even grades because the U of A is not Ivy leauge believe it or not) they will be a national title contenders year in and out

Name the kids that had P5 offers and played there in the last 10, 15 years, that the UofA didn't offer.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 25, 2016, 09:47:57 am

Well said Coach. Hopefully, it will change since they do have a Dollarway, WH, and WC player on their roster now.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on November 25, 2016, 11:15:54 am
Name the kids that had P5 offers and played there in the last 10, 15 years, that the UofA didn't offer.

Not really a fair comparison since the UA offers in-state kids all the time that don't hold P-5 offers.

I think the point is the ONLY time UA recruits PBH is when we have the best player in the state otherwise its very obvious they lack concern. Did Drew Morgan have any P-5 offers? What about his brother that was invited to walk on? Not hating cause it's worked out great for both kids and the UA. But I can tell you now IF the only time UA shows interest in a PBH athlete is when he's the best in the state...the attitude here will continue to be, "I can do better than the UA".

itsslim

The Zebra Successor

December 15, 2016, 09:38:40 am #82 Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:52:46 am by The Zebra Successor
Quote from: ricepig on November 25, 2016, 11:15:54 am

Sorry for responding late and Congratulations to Russellville Cyclones for the State title
. OK this is not every player these are the ones I know about.
'98 Demoine Adams- Nebraska *NFL,CFL
'99 Johnathon Chisim - Rice
'00 Mark Bradley -Oklahoma * NFL
'02 Scott Wesley - Army
'02 Justin Bass- Louisiana Tech
'04 Colin Pelton- SMU
'04 Martell Mallett -Bowling Green *NFL, CFL 2009 ROY
'05 David Johnson- Ark St * NFL
'09 Claude Johnson- Ark St (offers from Tenn)
'11 Joseph Treadwell - Louisiana Monroe
'14 Austin Mcgee- Pudue
'16 John Tate- Memphis
'16 David Beasley-La Tech

Honarable Mentions
'31 Don Hutson- Alabama NFL(charter member of pro football hall of fame)
'16 Ladarius Skelton - (Landers Award winner)
'81 Danny Bradley-Oklahoma (big 8 opy) (Big 8 MVP)
'85 Eric Mitchell-Oklahoma(parade h.s All American)
'88 Willie Roaf- La Tech NFL (pro football hall of fame)
'90 Basil Shabazz - UAPB (Considered the best high school athlete in Arkansas History )
'93 Torri hunter- MLB (MLB future hall of fame)

ricepig

Quote from: The Zebra Successor on December 15, 2016, 09:38:40 am
Sorry for responding late and Congratulations to Russellville Cyclones for the State title
. OK this is not every player these are the ones I know about.
'98 Demoine Adams- Nebraska *NFL,CFL
'99 Johnathon Chisim - Rice
'00 Mark Bradley -Oklahoma * NFL
'02 Scott Wesley - Army
'02 Justin Bass- Louisiana Tech
'04 Colin Pelton- SMU
'04 Martell Mallett -Bowling Green *NFL, CFL 2009 ROY
'05 David Johnson- Ark St * NFL
'09 Claude Johnson- Ark St (offers from Tenn)
'11 Joseph Treadwell - Louisiana Monroe
'14 Austin Mcgee- Pudue
'16 John Tate- Memphis
'16 David Beasley-La Tech

Honarable Mentions
'31 Don Hutson- Alabama NFL(charter member of pro football hall of fame)
'16 Ladarius Skelton - (Landers Award winner)
'81 Danny Bradley-Oklahoma (big 8 opy) (Big 8 MVP)
'85 Eric Mitchell-Oklahoma(parade h.s All American)
'88 Willie Roaf- La Tech NFL (pro football hall of fame)
'90 Basil Shabazz - UAPB (Considered the best high school athlete in Arkansas History )
'93 Torri hunter- Peperdine MLB future hall of fame

You do know what a P5 school is? McGhee to Purdue, where he didn't last a semester/year, is the only one in my 15 year window.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 09:54:11 am
You do know what a P5 school is? McGhee to Purdue, where he didn't last a semester/year, is the only one in my 15 year window.

The point is that nothing has changed UA has NEVER recruited PBH hard going back over 30 years. Yet PB still produces athletes capable of playing in the NFL but not at UA.

The Zebra Successor

I didn't want to play your game with your rules .. Because it wouldn't show the fact that throughout the history . That U of A don't give Pine Bluff High football players a fair shot. Even though we are 2nd most in wins in the state.  So what its not a P5 school. Its D1 and one of those D1 schools ULM embarrassed Arkansas at home one year which a PBHS alum was on that squad. Oh and bash the kid for not playing at Purdue the whole year they had from what I heard 5 Kickers on the team. Who does that ?? You do I guess. I don't care what they did after they signed a kid from the bluff from high school . My motto is if you can make it out of Pine Bluff you can make it anywhere in the world.

The Zebra Successor

Arkansas not getting athletes from Pine bluff High is liking to Miami not getting players from the worst parts of Miami, Fl

ricepig

Quote from: The Zebra Successor on December 15, 2016, 10:32:04 am
I didn't want to play your game with your rules .. Because it wouldn't show the fact that throughout the history . That U of A don't give Pine Bluff High football players a fair shot. Even though we are 2nd most in wins in the state.  So what its not a P5 school. Its D1 and one of those D1 schools ULM embarrassed Arkansas at home one year which a PBHS alum was on that squad. Oh and bash the kid for not playing at Purdue the whole year they had from what I heard 5 Kickers on the team. Who does that ?? You do I guess. I don't care what they did after they signed a kid from the bluff from high school . My motto is if you can make it out of Pine Bluff you can make it anywhere in the world.

The UofA has signed kids from Dollarway and White Hall, so I don't think they have a problem with players from Pine Bluff, correct?

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 15, 2016, 10:27:30 am
The point is that nothing has changed UA has NEVER recruited PBH hard going back over 30 years. Yet PB still produces athletes capable of playing in the NFL but not at UA.

So, congratulate the young men and be happy for them. There's guys that play in the NAIA that play in the NFL, the NFL will find you anywhere.

Oldbadger

Pardon my ignorance, I guess I'm too old school, but, what is a P5 school?

ricepig

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 15, 2016, 10:55:19 am
Pardon my ignorance, I guess I'm too old school, but, what is a P5 school?

Power 5 conference, ACC, SEC, Big 1G, Big 12, and PAC 12.

zebradynasty

December 15, 2016, 11:34:46 am #91 Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:46:07 am by zebradynasty
Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 10:51:02 am
The UofA has signed kids from Dollarway and White Hall, so I don't think they have a problem with players from Pine Bluff, correct?

It's not the city of Pine Bluff UA seem to have an issue with it's PINE BLUFF HIGH. I can go back 30 years plus and UA has recruited and signed kids from Dollaryway and Chapel. However, UA has missed on several kids from other schools here in Pine Bluff as well over the years. Bottom line for a school/state that historically always been short on producing athletes it would just makes sense that it would focus recruiting on the areas that produce them.

Oldbadger

Thanks, ricepig.  It sounds logical, but I had no idea! 

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 15, 2016, 11:34:46 am
It's not the city of Pine Bluff UA seem to have an issue with it's PINE BLUFF HIGH. I can go back 30 years plus and UA has recruited and signed kids from Dollaryway and Chapel. However, UA has missed on several kids from other schools here in Pine Bluff as well over the years. Bottom line for a school/state that historically always been short on producing athletes it would just makes sense that it would focus recruiting on the areas that produce them.

Every college misses kids every year, that's life. Why would the university purposely avoid PBHS athletes? Hindsight is 20/20, correct?

zebradynasty

December 15, 2016, 12:03:17 pm #94 Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:06:49 pm by zebradynasty
Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 11:49:58 am
Every college misses kids every year, that's life. Why would the university purposely avoid PBHS athletes? Hindsight is 20/20, correct?

Don't know but name another school in Arkansas that produced 7 kids that played in the NFL and none played for the UA?

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 15, 2016, 12:03:17 pm
Don't know but name another school in Arkansas that produced 7 kids that played in the NFL and none played for the UA?

I don't care about the NFL. How many were Prop 48 signees when the SEC wouldn't admit them? Again, to me, those that played/play at a P5 are the ones applicable.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 12:29:07 pm
I don't care about the NFL. How many were Prop 48 signees when the SEC wouldn't admit them? Again, to me, those that played/play at a P5 are the ones applicable.

Some of these kids UA missed from PBH were prior to inactment of Prop 48. The ones listed by ZSucessor all went on to play for D-1 schools so Prop 48 wasn't an issue.

The fact of them playing in the NFL is of no concern to you, shows a lack understanding or refusal to understand the problem. If UA stood for BAMA then yeah you're right losing a few kids over 30 years that had NFL abilities not a concern. But for a program that has/is struggling at nearly every position due to a lack of talent...that kind of attitude is why 7-5 is great season for Arkansas!

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 15, 2016, 02:07:55 pm
Some of these kids UA missed from PBH were prior to inactment of Prop 48. The ones listed by ZSucessor all went on to play for D-1 schools so Prop 48 wasn't an issue.

The fact of them playing in the NFL is of no concern to you, shows a lack understanding or refusal to understand the problem. If UA stood for BAMA then yeah you're right losing a few kids over 30 years that had NFL abilities not a concern. But for a program that has/is struggling at nearly every position due to a lack of talent...that kind of attitude is why 7-5 is great season for Arkansas!

Wrong, some conferences allowed Prop 48's, some didn't. I told you earlier the NFL finds guys in the NAIA, or even the grocery store, that's a different story. I guess you can tell me which kids will make the NFL, and which won't? I guess we should just sign PB's SR class, assuming they qualify, lol?

The Zebra Successor

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 02:41:28 pm
Wrong, some conferences allowed Prop 48's, some didn't. I told you earlier the NFL finds guys in the NAIA, or even the grocery store, that's a different story. I guess you can tell me which kids will make the NFL, and which won't? I guess we should just sign PB's SR class, assuming they qualify, lol?

No you don't have to sign all PB's SR class just the best period no matter even if the played at Pine bluff High. . But if you ask me who they can start with from PB thats easy try courting Keshawn Whaley. The best LB in the state.. 3 yr starter, 2 state titles , 6'1 225lb 4.5 40y dash

The Zebra Successor

December 15, 2016, 03:32:34 pm #99 Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 03:37:21 pm by The Zebra Successor
Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2016, 02:41:28 pm

And if they don't qualify help them get in the University and take the remedial courses so they can qualify to play the next year... Let them get tutored with some of your athletes  because they will be playing alongside them.. Its not like you giving them a scholarship.. So help them out with financial aid..Its a lot you can do instead of saying not qualified ... This goes for all the athletes not just PB's

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas