• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoff scenarios

Started by ricepig, October 29, 2016, 09:37:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

October 29, 2016, 09:37:31 am Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:26:36 pm by ricepig
Looks like both conference championships and seeds will be up for grabs this Thursday and Friday. According to FF, all of the East schools play on Thursday night, with the West playing on Friday night.

In the East, Jonesboro will finish as the #1 seed with a win, but a loss and wins by WM and Marion would throw them to the #4 seed in a 3-way tie breaker with those two schools. PB would get the #1. Mt. Home and Searcy have the #5 and #6 locked up.

The West is GW's with a win, but a loss puts it in a 2-way, and more than likely 3-way tie, which would be the perfect time, and thus come down to points. The West's 4,5,6 will be based on the outcomes of Friday's games.

I'm sure someone will correct where I've gone wrong, as the AAA and it's tie breaking rules are too long to read all of them, lol. Anyway, good luck to everyone!

The Future

This week's games:
Greenwood should beat Lake Hamilton
Benton will beat Sheridan
El Dorado and Texarkana might be interesting
Russellville will mudstomp Siloam

The final standings should be
Greenwood 7-0
Russellville 6-1
Lake Hamilton 5-2
Benton 4-3
El Dorado 3-4
Texarkana 2-5
Outside Playoffs
Siloam 1-6
Sheridan 0-7

If Lake Hamilton beats Greenwood, the threeway tie between Greenwood, Russellville, and Lake Hamilton will go down to points. As of last night:
Greenwood has 68 points
Russellville has 65
Lake Hamilton has 42

Russellville will score a lot on Siloam, so there's 13 added to Russellville's 65 making 78. If Lake Hamilton wins by the most points possible, 42 plus 13 is 55. Even if both Greenwood and Russellville both gained 0 points this next game, Lake Hamilton still won't be able to pass them. So this would mean Russellville will be 1st, followed by Greenwood and Lake Hamilton will still be 3rd. In the end, the Wolves just didn't score enough in their other wins to help their chances of a higher seed.

Another possible, yet almost improbable, scenario sees both Greenwood and Russellville lose. Greenwood and Lake Hamilton will both be 6-1 but Lake Hamilton will be 1st seed due to head to head. Greenwood will take second and Russellville third at 5-2.

So the top 3 seeds will either be Greenwood, Russellville, Lake Hamilton or Russellville, Greenwood, Lake Hamilton.

Benton's loss to Lake Hamilton guaranteed them the 4th seed. I just don't see anyway Sheridan pulls the upset. Yes they might be playing good and Benton is coming off 2 straight losses. But Benton wins easily by 3 scores.

If Texarkana happens to beat El Dorado, that would put Texarkana at the 5th spot and El Dorado falls to 6th.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

Future, don't count the chicks before they hatch. LH will not be a pushover. I think they give GW all they want.

thescout

Don't think LH has a chance at the # 1 seed...even if they win and create a 3 way tie, it goes to points first..lowest total is put in 3rd place..then it goes to head to head..which would put Greenwood 1 since they beat R'ville

bulldogger15

Quote from: 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT on October 29, 2016, 12:01:11 pm
Future, don't count the chicks before they hatch. LH will not be a pushover. I think they give GW all they want.
Greenwood won't be beat. 10-0 regular season and well on their way to 13-0.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

admorris24

Benton is a dangerous 4 seed if they don't turn the ball over.  Can score points and pretty good defense

Jeep71

ricepig

Quote from: admorris24 on October 29, 2016, 02:16:34 pm
Benton is a dangerous 4 seed if they don't turn the ball over.  Can score points and pretty good defense

The same could be said of Jonesboro or Marion, if they're the #4 seed from the East. It appears that it could be an interesting run to WMS. It seems everyone has liabilities, with GW having the fewest.

Austin.Sutton

Wouldn't Searcy be the 6 seed from the East.

ricepig

Quote from: Austin.Sutton on October 29, 2016, 05:42:19 pm
Wouldn't Searcy be the 6 seed from the East.

Yes, that's suppose to be #5 and #6, thanks, I'll correct it.

ricepig

Well, as B.G. addressed above, it doesn't appear that all the East games are on Thursday as the schedules on FF showed, but, Jonesboro -Marion is.

maxswine

Quote from: thescout on October 29, 2016, 12:09:49 pm
Don't think LH has a chance at the # 1 seed...even if they win and create a 3 way tie, it goes to points first..lowest total is put in 3rd place..then it goes to head to head..which would put Greenwood 1 since they beat R'ville

Lake Hamilton can get a 1 seed if they beat Greenwood and Russellville loses to Siloam.

ricepig

Quote from: maxswine on October 30, 2016, 09:41:12 am

Lake Hamilton can get a 1 seed if they beat Greenwood and Russellville loses to Siloam.

I hope we(Jonesboro) get to see someone new. The last two years it was Alma and PB, before that, I think it was LH and El Do, before that Texarkana. Call me crazy, but I want to play GW or Russellville/Benton.

Valleysports

Quote from: ricepig on October 30, 2016, 10:04:49 am
I hope we(Jonesboro) get to see someone new. The last two years it was Alma and PB, before that, I think it was LH and El Do, before that Texarkana. Call me crazy, but I want to play GW or Russellville/Benton.

If you go to a Jonesboro/Russellville game, maybe I'll meet you there.  Seem's like you should owe me a steak dinner or something over the last 7-10 yrs, don't it?

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on October 30, 2016, 11:21:45 am
If you go to a Jonesboro/Russellville game, maybe I'll meet you there.  Seem's like you should owe me a steak dinner or something over the last 7-10 yrs, don't it?

You plan on flying up to it? Sounds good if it works out that way, it'll depend on your attitude between now and then on  whether you get Western Sizzlin, or 501.      ;D

The Future

Quote from: ricepig on October 30, 2016, 10:04:49 am

Greenwood would like some new meat as well. Greenwood's playoff teams the last 4 years have been
2012 Hall, Parkview, Eldorado, Pine Bluff
2013 Fair, Parkview, Pine Bluff
2014 Eldorado
2015 Marion, Benton, Pine Bluff

Greenwood and Jonesboro at the Rock will be one we all can enjoy.

Pr8hd

Quote from: maxswine on October 30, 2016, 09:41:12 am

Don't see Russ losing to SS at all being in the cards, they are not a good team this year.

bulldogger15

Quote from: The Future on October 30, 2016, 12:04:18 pm
Greenwood would like some new meat as well. Greenwood's playoff teams the last 4 years have been
2012 Hall, Parkview, Eldorado, Pine Bluff
2013 Fair, Parkview, Pine Bluff
2014 Eldorado
2015 Marion, Benton, Pine Bluff

Greenwood and Jonesboro at the Rock will be one we all can enjoy.
Especially Greenwood!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

If Jonesboro don't take care of Marion they will get the pleasure of seeing Greenwood in the semis not the Rock

bulldogger15

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on October 30, 2016, 10:10:04 pm
If Jonesboro don't take care of Marion they will get the pleasure of seeing Greenwood in the semis not the Rock
Won't matter Cardinal Pride. Jonesboro will still get BLASTED by the Greenwood Bulldogs!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

sportsguy80

Any takes on Marion? I hear they are much improved from a couple of years ago. Recently, I saw they played PB close.

Pr8hd

Question on the LH/Benton game and not to take away anything from LH winning. LH has been a Jeckell and Hyde sort of this year especially early on in the season, but kudos form them on the win.

Maybe the Benton faithful can offer some insight.  Did Benton just come out flat after the GW loss ? I was also wondering how healthy Benton was because it looked like Benton's QB and the RB #4 (that did well against GW) were both dinged up by end of the GW games, esp. #4.

It's going to be interesting how this all shakes out on the brackets after Friday.

zebradynasty

October 31, 2016, 10:32:18 am #22 Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:37:00 am by zebradynasty
Quote from: sportsguy80 on October 31, 2016, 10:17:28 am
Any takes on Marion? I hear they are much improved from a couple of years ago. Recently, I saw they played PB close.

They have some skill at WR, was not particularly impressed with their RB as a runner but dangerous in the open field. The QB has a cannon not very mobile. They are better along the OL/DL than I expected. Team speed is pretty good. Not the typical Marion team and that's a good thing.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Marion is go be spoiler in the playoffs this year in 6A they are very athletic and physical defense has speed across the board

The Future

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on October 31, 2016, 10:36:01 am
Marion is go be spoiler in the playoffs this year in 6A they are very athletic and physical defense has speed across the board

Well if by spoiler you mean making it to the second round, then yes thats what they will do. Looking like Marion will be the 4th seed and will meet El Dorado. And if they make it past the Cats, Greenwood awaits.

Edit: If Texarkana happens to beat El Dorado Friday, then Texarkana takes the 5th seed and wil play Marion the first round. But still the same, if they happen to advance, Greenwood will put an end to their season

PrivateLesson

I think Russellville could possibly make it to WMS.   They are Rollin'

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

Quote from: The Future on October 31, 2016, 10:46:23 am
Well if by spoiler you mean making it to the second round, then yes thats what they will do. Looking like Marion will be the 4th seed and will meet El Dorado. And if they make it past the Cats, Greenwood awaits.

Edit: If Texarkana happens to beat El Dorado Friday, then Texarkana takes the 5th seed and wil play Marion the first round. But still the same, if they happen to advance, Greenwood will put an end to their season

Is this year Greenwood team better than last years squad?

The Future

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on October 31, 2016, 12:10:14 pm
Is this year Greenwood team better than last years squad?

Hmmm quite honestly I don't know. Its really all opinion. But stats are facts. I"d have to go back and check some stats.

Last season, we had 2 new QBs but we had returning great WRs, linemen, and a RB. This year our QBs have improved, but since we are playing a lot of sophomores, the experience level is down.
Defense wise, our line is good. I don't know about better than last year, but it definitely ain't bad. Our secondary has improved.

Both teams after week 9 were 9-0. So recordwise, they are equal.

Ill get back with you and post some stats. Most everything is opinionated. But stats are facts

The Future

Ok here's just some quick stats that are kinda general but cover everything. Thanks to greenwoodogpound.com for the info.

*Stats for 2015 cover all 13 games but 2016 only cover 9.

Offense
2015-
Passing: 2,857 yards 26 TDs 5 int 68%
Rushing: 490 att 3,257 yards 49 TDs
Recieving: 198 cat 2,875 yards 26 TDs

2016-
Passing: 2038 yards 19 TDs 3 int 65%
Rush: 358 att 1,896 yards 27 TDs
Receiving: 149 cat 2,038 yards 19 TDs

So looking here, the passing game is just about even. The 2015 squad threw for almost 3,000 yards with some veteran WRs. 9 games into the season, we are already past 2,000. We average in the 200s per game. So if we keep that up and make it to WMS, thats 4 more games with 200+ yards. Thats 800 yards plus the 2,000 we already have. So we will at least tie last year's. Same with the TDs and Int. We just need 7 more to get 26 TDs and I'm almost willing to bet money that with Lake Hamilton left, as well as the teams we will potentiall meet/will meet in the playoffs (El Dorado, Pine Bluff, Russellville, Jonesboro) that surely we will throw 2 more picks. Or not. It could just show how our QBs have improved at smarter ball throwing and placement.
We also rush for about the same as we pass. In the 200s. So if we keep that up as well, thatll only be 2,600 yards compared to last year's over 3,000. But last year, we had a great RB in Jordan Green who carried most of the load. We also had Martin, Wood, and Hood rushing too. This year, we are mainly using Wood and Jones as our RBs with our 2 QBs doing a good chunk of running themselves. Its debatable which rush squad is better, but stat wise, the 2015 team was better.
Our WRs this year have been outstanding. Most of which are sophomores. Experience goes to last year's group and we had our 1 go to playmaker in Padilla who carried most of the load. This year hasn't shown a 1 go to guy but plenty are stepping up and in the next 2 years, we could be seeing some great WR talent.

Defense
Again, we are only 9 games into this season compared to all 13 from last, but last season showed 22 sacks to this year's 7. The secondary though has improved from 6 ints all  last year to already 9, basically that's 1 a game. So thats not bad.

Misc
Both teams after week 9 were/are 9-0. 6 games however have been common opponents. Northside, Southside, Alma, Benton, Siloam, and Russellville. With potentially Pine Bluff added to that.

This year's offense has put up 390 points in 9 games and our defense has gave up 164, with plenty being in the 4th. Mostly due to back ups being in.
Last year's offense scored 573 points and D gave up 212, with only 28 being in the 4th.

I'm sure there's more info that can be put in. This was just a quick look and copy.

ricepig

Quote from: The Future on October 31, 2016, 12:29:24 pm
Hmmm quite honestly I don't know. Its really all opinion. But stats are facts. I"d have to go back and check some stats.

Last season, we had 2 new QBs but we had returning great WRs, linemen, and a RB. This year our QBs have improved, but since we are playing a lot of sophomores, the experience level is down.
Defense wise, our line is good. I don't know about better than last year, but it definitely ain't bad. Our secondary has improved.

Both teams after week 9 were 9-0. So recordwise, they are equal.

Ill get back with you and post some stats. Most everything is opinionated. But stats are facts

Stats only show what happened in a given year, so they aren't really comparable to the two teams. I'm sure opinions are welcomed, lol.

admorris24

After playing GW this year and last, I would say GW's 2015 squad is much better than this years after mercy ruling us(Benton) last year in the playoffs.  This years team is very good don't get me wrong, but last years team had an edge to them that I did not see 2 weeks ago.  Last years team had a killer instinct and this years team seemed like it struggled a bit to put us away, especially in the red zone.

Wildcat Football

October 31, 2016, 04:07:15 pm #31 Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:11:50 am by Wildcat Football
Quote from: Pr8hd on October 31, 2016, 10:28:52 am
Question on the LH/Benton game and not to take away anything from LH winning. LH has been a Jeckell and Hyde sort of this year especially early on in the season, but kudos form them on the win.

Maybe the Benton faithful can offer some insight.  Did Benton just come out flat after the GW loss ? I was also wondering how healthy Benton was because it looked like Benton's QB and the RB #4 (that did well against GW) were both dinged up by end of the GW games, esp. #4.

It's going to be interesting how this all shakes out on the brackets after Friday.
Yes, #4 is dinged up but should be okay.  QB threw pick 6 (2nd or 3rd of year doesn't look off very well), WR fumbled, and another quick score led to 21-0 LH lead in first quarter.  Turnovers and penalties killed Benton, plus had short FG to tie game for OT, but snap was muffled since 1st team holder was on sideline with injury. Take nothing away from LH, they found a way to win with miracle 4th and long play pass which hung in air (duck pass) WR dove to catch between 2 defenders. Then run to score final TD, winners find a way to win and losers find a way to lose...Benton is very talented but lack discipline and mental toughness.  For the most part, Benton will be healthy for playoff run but not sure which team shows up.  The offensive play calls are very predictable for Benton too, first year OC from Bauxite. For whatever reason, they don't throw much to big receivers #88 & #9 down field, both catch ball extremely well.  Offense is mostly screens #4 & #22 and hand-off to RB. So, if you have aggressive corners and decent LB corps, all you are defending is 2-3 plays.

Oldbadger

Benton had 516 total yards against LH last Friday to LH 288.  So, offensively they did well, just the two turnovers that put us 21 to 0 behind in the first quarter.  For the most part LH was kept bottled up but a couple of big plays kept them it it.  Tough to play from behind.  A really good game, would have been better had my team won.lol

Oldbadger

You know Wildcat Football, what is really pathetic is when you think a team only has 2 or 3 plays and you still can't defend against them.  I assume you are an Eldo fan and I wonder how you know so much about Benton football.  But knowing those 2 or 3 plays and still losing 41 to 9 is what is pathetic!

admorris24

Well said OB, knowing and stopping our "3" plays proved to be difficult for ED the past 3 years.

sportsguy80

Quote from: admorris24 on October 31, 2016, 03:24:51 pm
After playing GW this year and last, I would say GW's 2015 squad is much better than this years after mercy ruling us(Benton) last year in the playoffs.  This years team is very good don't get me wrong, but last years team had an edge to them that I did not see 2 weeks ago.  Last years team had a killer instinct and this years team seemed like it struggled a bit to put us away, especially in the red zone.
I agree with you. I saw last year's team in the finals and saw this year's team earlier in a scrimmage. GW's defense was very good last year with an impressive front. The offense looks a tad bit better this year mainly due to more experienced qbs and the young wrs stepping up. In my opinion, this year's team may not be as good but I think they have enough to win it all especially since PB isn't as good and the other teams have to prove themselves.

Oldbadger

My feelings are that this year's team is good but not as good as last year's.  Offensively or defensively.  Last years team was a "take no prisoner's" type.  This one is, "lets take one or two" maybe they won't notice.lol

Pr8hd

October 31, 2016, 08:34:16 pm #37 Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:56:41 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Oldbadger on October 31, 2016, 07:49:47 pm
My feelings are that this year's team is good but not as good as last year's.  Offensively or defensively.  Last years team was a "take no prisoner's" type.  This one is, "lets take one or two" maybe they won't notice.lol

I'd say this years team is better talent wise top to bottom. It's deeper. They are younger as lots of sophomores are starting and contributing perhaps more than I can ever remember for sure recently and maybe ever under CRJ. They make mistakes as a result of the youth that lets some teams stay in in the game like Benton or Russellville. 3 things missed the most off last years team...no real deep threat/big play guy really like they had in Padilla (#89), no Grant Morgan(#15) - who spearhead defense but extremely versatile guy like his brother just not the big play threat as much,  and they lost their FG kicker who transferred to Owasso.  The kicking game has been a little suspect at times as a result.

They are MUCH deeper at receiver and secondary. The O line is bigger and still consistent. The D line is anchored by a stud who returned from last year and is back next year.  The RB (Wood) is better because he has stayed healthy and has a better understanding of his assignments. He's also a Jr and will return next year. RB was a better in 2015. You also have the same two QB's back (one being a Jr) who provide some 1-2 punch and wrinkles. Benton got bounced by Hales last year all game long, this year they made a concerted effort to keep the same from happening and did a good job on him.To me, that was the one difference between this year and last- plus no monsoon rain storm.

The one thing I would agree on is the edginess of the team for sure. They played with a chip on their shoulder based on what happened in 2014 and the disappointment of being so close in 2013. They also played with a lot of heart, far more than the 2014 group (which was my oldest son's).  As a group, that 2015 group was one of the least successful classes earlier on in Jr high and younger football. They played extremely well last year though, probably above what was expected. They also were the first class that graduated since 2004 (Jones first) that graduated with no championship in any of their varsity years. So, for a decade every kid that went thru GW as a player left with at least 1 state ring- many left with multiple rings.  So, they fell a game shy of continuing that streak that I know they wanted to not be the one to snap that. This years class would make the second in a row to leave without at least 1 ring/championship in football if they fall short. This is why their team theme is FINISH this year.

Despite the 2015 class leaving with no ring, their combined record in varsity was 31-6 for 3 years which is not too shabby to at 84% win clip, they were part of a 50 game win streak, and their senior season ended at the Rock. Anytime, your season ends there you can't be too disappointed because you gave yourself a chance and they accomplished what they wanted and that was to return to the Rock. They fell a TD short to a great/talented PB team who was the defending champs.

Every class in GW is special, some may be a little more memorable than others, but they almost always leave an impression.   

FYI:
2014 class record was 33-5  w/1 state championship   87% winning%
2013 class record was 40-1  w/2 state championships  98% winning%
2012 class record was 40-2  w/3 state championships  95% winning%

I am making sure my and my family's Dec. 3rd is free to go see them (GW) finish this year hopefully. The next step is Friday though against LH, take care of that and they accomplish  CRJ's Goal #2 (Win Conference/Secure #1 Seed). 

Valleysports

Every thread becomes a Greenwood Program Guide.  lol.  Well at least you love your Wildcats or bird dogs - I forgot...  Green Giants?   ???

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Valleysports on November 01, 2016, 07:31:41 am
Every thread becomes a Greenwood Program Guide.
LOL!!!  😂😂😂 

Wildcat Football

Quote from: admorris24 on October 31, 2016, 03:24:51 pm
Last year's GW team was much better.  This year's team is good, but like you said I think they lack playmakers like Morgan and Padilla on the 2015 team.  Hey, GW is nothing but a bunch of winners so they can make it all the way, but they are not more athletic than Jonesboro, Marion, PB, Russellville, or WM. Unfortunately, they have the best coach in the state.

Wildcat Football

November 01, 2016, 09:35:53 am #41 Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:19:01 am by Wildcat Football
Quote from: Oldbadger on October 31, 2016, 05:14:09 pm
You know Wildcat Football, what is really pathetic is when you think a team only has 2 or 3 plays and you still can't defend against them.  I assume you are an Eldo fan and I wonder how you know so much about Benton football.  But knowing those 2 or 3 plays and still losing 41 to 9 is what is pathetic!
I have Benton ties and root for them every Friday.  I also have El Do ties and they are my primary team.  Of course, they have more than 2-3 plays, scheme-wise they have 2-3 plays but run variations off of screens, bubbles, waggles, you know... the dink-dunk stuff.  I am just frustrated because I know the talent on the team but lack the mental edge that GW, PA, and Nashville Scrapper possess.  Believe me, I am pulling for them to make a run, but you will see that more turnovers and penalties will be there undoing. We had a 4th and 6 and throw 2 yards behind line of scrimmage late in the game on a screen. If RB Hunter gets the first down game over, instead he gets tackled 3 yards short.  I watch every game on HUDL and the offense is just too darn predictable.  Why not throw just 7 yards to big receivers on curl route and get the first down and win the game?  If Jones at GW had Benton's talent, it would be really scary.  Take a closer look at HUDL film on GW, they all look the same, average size and speed, but scheme wise they execute and are very disciplined on both sides of the ball...translation great coaches!  I do admire great coaching..Dawson at Russellville is another fine example. Do you not notice that Benton wins the games they should win except LH, and do very poorly in big games? It all comes down to good coaching. Those who get players to play beyond themselves is the deal, so really admire what Marion is doing too.  I also underestimated LH, I am starting to think the new coach is pretty good from Oklahoma.

Wildcat Football

Someone help me understand tie-breakers, if a team beats you head to head and you both finish with same conference record at year end, who gets better seed, the team that won head-head, or does it go to team with higher tiebreaker points accumulated by margin of victory during the conference games?

ricepig

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 01, 2016, 10:14:51 am
Someone help me understand tie-breakers, if a team beats you head to head and you both finish with same conference record at year end, who gets better seed, the team that won head-head, or does it go to team with higher tiebreaker points accumulated by margin of victory during the conference games?

Head to head always decides ties, whenever possible. If you have a perfect 3 way tie, then you would use points to eliminate one team, and then use head to head with the two remaining teams.

Wildcat Football

Quote from: ricepig on November 01, 2016, 10:20:50 am
Head to head always decides ties, whenever possible. If you have a perfect 3 way tie, then you would use points to eliminate one team, and then use head to head with the two remaining teams.
Thanks that makes sense now with the 3 way tie scenario.

Pr8hd

November 01, 2016, 10:30:18 am #45 Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:34:15 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 01, 2016, 09:25:44 am
... they are not more athletic than Jonesboro, Marion, PB, Russellville, or WM. Unfortunately, they have the best coach in the state.

GW's M.O. has never been to overwhelm with size or talent. They seldom are the most talented team, but they are certainly not devoid of talented players that know their roles, responsibilities, and play with heart. When they do get an exceptionally talented (college level) player or two, they are even that more difficult to deal with. It's sort of like giving a sniper an extra bullet.

admorris24

Quote from: Pr8hd on October 31, 2016, 10:28:52 am

Benton did come out a little flat in my opinion.  LH had a pick 6 on first offensive series then returned a fumble to the Benton 8 on the 3rd series, so turnovers were the main difference for LH early success.  Benton had 33-29 lead late in the 4th qtr, but we did not convert a 4th and short.  LH completed a 4th and 5 hail mary with 1:00 to play to extend their drive and then scored on next play.  Benton had chance to send game in OT with fg, but holder bobbled snap as regular holder was out with an injury.  If you look at stats, Benton dominated by doubling LH in total offense, but turnovers were the difference. #4 and #1 are the 2 big injuries for Benton this week against Sheridan as neither finished the LH game.

admorris24

Quote from: Wildcat Football on November 01, 2016, 09:35:53 am
I have Benton ties and root for them every Friday.  I also have El Do ties and they are my primary team.  Of course, they have more than 2-3 plays, scheme-wise they have 2-3 plays but run variations off of screens, bubbles, waggles, you know... the dink-dunk stuff.  I am just frustrated because I know the talent on the team but lack the mental edge that GW, PA, and Nashville Scrapper possess.  Believe me, I am pulling for them to make a run, but you will see that more turnovers and penalties will be there undoing. We had a 4th and 6 and throw 2 yards behind line of scrimmage late in the game on a screen. If RB Hunter gets the first down game over, instead he gets tackled 3 yards short.  I watch every game on HUDL and the offense is just too darn predictable.  Why not throw just 7 yards to big receivers on curl route and get the first down and win the game?  If Jones at GW had Benton's talent, it would be really scary.  Take a closer look at HUDL film on GW, they all look the same, average size and speed, but scheme wise they execute and are very disciplined on both sides of the ball...translation great coaches!  I do admire great coaching..Dawson at Russellville is another fine example. Do you not notice that Benton wins the games they should win except LH, and do very poorly in big games? It all comes down to good coaching. Those who get players to play beyond themselves is the deal, so really admire what Marion is doing too.  I also underestimated LH, I am starting to think the new coach is pretty good from Oklahoma.

I don't think our problem this year is coaching or scheme or even discipline, which has been a problem in the past.  The problem has been turnovers.  In Benton's four losses, we have turned the ball over 14 times.  Benton is as good as any team in the state talent wise if they do not turn over the ball.

Valleysports

Greenwood is a public school with recruiting privilege like a private school, right?  Learned that from the many threads on players choosing to go to Greenwood (vs Southside) for the football program.  I'm all for going to the best program, athletics or academics.  Did it myself to play 5A Texas.  j

Wildcat Football

November 01, 2016, 11:46:41 am #49 Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:16:53 am by Wildcat Football
Quote from: admorris24 on November 01, 2016, 11:39:31 am
I don't think our problem this year is coaching or scheme or even discipline, which has been a problem in the past.  The problem has been turnovers.  In Benton's four losses, we have turned the ball over 14 times.  Benton is as good as any team in the state talent wise if they do not turn over the ball.
So if not coaching, why does Benton lose all the big games?  Do turnovers translate into not fixing during weekday practices? See the pattern....on the 4th and 6, we did not throw out or curl, instead screen which we ran all game and it came up 3 short, play-called was the one I knew would be called before the snap.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas