• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WMS

Started by bleudog, October 25, 2016, 01:14:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

Coach Venny Slocombe

How about making it a landfill... ;D

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 25, 2016, 02:07:13 pm
How about making it a landfill... ;D

More parking for the golf course?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 25, 2016, 08:36:57 pm
More parking for the golf course?
Anything but a place for Arkansas to play. I do like the idea of the high school CG's being played there...I would hate to see that change...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on October 25, 2016, 09:04:56 pm
Anything but a place for Arkansas to play. I do like the idea of the high school CG's being played there...I would hate to see that change...

the only thing good is that it's centrally located in Little Rock

VHSCoach2

I mean, it is the home for both the men and women Little Rock Rangers of the National Premier and National Women's Premier Soccer Leagues.  And as mentioned above, it is the home for the high school football championship games.  If (more likely when) the University of Arkansas decides to not return to War Memorial, there will still be sporting events going on there.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on October 25, 2016, 09:55:53 pm
I mean, it is the home for both the men and women Little Rock Rangers of the National Premier and National Women's Premier Soccer Leagues.  And as mentioned above, it is the home for the high school football championship games.  If (more likely when) the University of Arkansas decides to not return to War Memorial, there will still be sporting events going on there.

When did we get cursed(I kid) with pro(semi pro?) Soccer in little Rock?

beach bum

We can schedule Wyoming Tech next year in the Rock. That will surely bring all of south and east Arkansas fans to watch the Hogs at the Rock in that beautiful stadium.....

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on October 25, 2016, 10:42:44 pm
We can schedule Wyoming Tech next year in the Rock. That will surely bring all of south and east Arkansas fans to watch the Hogs at the Rock in that beautiful stadium.....

Didn't it fail to sell out for the last SEC game there too?

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 25, 2016, 10:52:21 pm
Didn't it fail to sell out for the last SEC game there too?

I did not know that. Was that when Nick Chubb went bonkers on us as a freshman?

VHSCoach2

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 25, 2016, 10:02:57 pm
When did we get cursed(I kid) with pro(semi pro?) Soccer in little Rock?

Semi-pro is correct, and Spring 2016 was the Rangers' first season for the men's team.  The women's team will be put together and their inaugural season will be Spring 2017.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on October 25, 2016, 10:54:07 pm
I did not know that. Was that when Nick Chubb went bonkers on us as a freshman?

Ah....that one was a sell out...the year before we played Mississippi st there and something like 10k tickets went unsold

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 26, 2016, 07:33:28 am
Ah....that one was a sell out...the year before we played Mississippi st there and something like 10k tickets went unsold

I remember that game. I had the terrible honor of watching that in person. Miss State and us were awful that year and I seriously was in disbelief I was actually watching 2 SEC teams we both looked so bad. I went to OT and the wind was howling and cold. Worst sports experience I ever paid for haha.

Redwolves8526

I have a potentially dumb question...why was WMS built in the first place?

ricepig

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 26, 2016, 02:33:09 pm
I have a potentially dumb question...why was WMS built in the first place?

"War Memorial Stadium was originally built as a tribute to Arkansans who had given their lives in the service of their country during the two great World Wars. It has grown, over time, as a living tribute to all Arkansans who have served and paid the ultimate price for their country. Military personnel have been honored over the years through programs, tributes and monuments. The Sturgis Plaza opened in 2008 on the Westside of the stadium as a place of remembrance and reflection. The plaza was the centerpiece of the celebration of War Memorial Stadium's 60th anniversary and re-dedication."

http://www.wmstadium.com

Lions84

October 26, 2016, 02:59:12 pm #15 Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:22:39 pm by Lions84
The Old Gray Lady needs several million dollars in upgrades and such to make it a honorable monument to the fighting men and woman of Ark who died in service of our nation.

Remember the public school children of our state did a penny campain to complete the funding for the orginal building.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: ricepig on October 26, 2016, 02:43:04 pm
"War Memorial Stadium was originally built as a tribute to Arkansans who had given their lives in the service of their country during the two great World Wars. It has grown, over time, as a living tribute to all Arkansans who have served and paid the ultimate price for their country. Military personnel have been honored over the years through programs, tributes and monuments. The Sturgis Plaza opened in 2008 on the Westside of the stadium as a place of remembrance and reflection. The plaza was the centerpiece of the celebration of War Memorial Stadium's 60th anniversary and re-dedication."

http://www.wmstadium.com

Nice. Thanks RP.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas