• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Har-Ber vs. Fayetteville

Started by HarBer Dad, October 16, 2016, 03:03:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HarBer Dad

It has become pretty obvious that in the 7A West there are only three games that really matter and two have already been played.  Time for #3:  Rematch of last years conference championship game (HB win) and state championship game (Fville win).  Can we expect another thriller like last years conference game, or mistake filled whoopin like the state championship?

Brian G

I'd make Har-Ber the slight favorite.

sportsguy80

Should be another good one. My question is what happens if there is a 3 way tie at the end of the regular season?

Rob Van Winkle

They go by point differential up to 13 points/game.

TNT_15

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 17, 2016, 12:20:06 pm
They go by point differential up to 13 points/game.
Figure these three plus NLR are final four. Playoffs will make lots of blowouts till finial four unless Cabot or North side can make some noise

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: TNT_15 on October 18, 2016, 12:46:14 am
Figure these three plus NLR are final four. Playoffs will make lots of blowouts till finial four unless Cabot or North side can make some noise

Cabot and NS are not in the same class as the top 4. Top 4 should dominate until the semis then it will be some slugfests. NLR is the best, most balanced team IMO.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 18, 2016, 11:16:48 am
Cabot and NS are not in the same class as the top 4. Top 4 should dominate until the semis then it will be some slugfests. NLR is the best, most balanced team IMO.
Ok help me out here. Will 2 of the top 3 from the West meet before the semis or does it depend on who wins the round before?

Rob Van Winkle

W1 and W3 would meet in the semis on one side and W2 and C1 would meet on the other side.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 18, 2016, 01:50:17 pm
W1 and W3 would meet in the semis on one side and W2 and C1 would meet on the other side.
Ok thanks. Now back to the 3 way tie breaker, do the overall records play a factor or just conference?

AT

Quote from: sportsguy80 on October 18, 2016, 07:51:22 pm
Ok thanks. Now back to the 3 way tie breaker, do the overall records play a factor or just conference?

If it's a perfect triangle, sportsguy80, for instance Bentonville beat Fayetteville, Fayetteville beat Har-Ber, Har-Ber beat Bentonville, then it comes down to tiebreaker points. If you don't know what tiebreaker points are, those are the points you get for every conference victory based off your margin of victory up to 13 points (this is to discourage running up the score).

When it comes down to the perfect triangle tiebreaker points, the top seed is decided like so: (It's easier for me to do with an example)

At the end of the year:

Fayetteville - 78 tiebreaker points (6-1 in conference)
Bentonville - 77 tiebreaker points (6-1 in conference)
Har-Ber - 76 tiebreaker points (6-1 in conference)

In this case, Har-Ber has the lowest amount of tiebreaker points, thus you eliminate them from the top seed and it comes down to head to head between Fayetteville and Bentonville. Bentonville beat Fayetteville, so Bentonville gets the 1 seed.

Then since you have Fayetteville and Har-Ber left, you go to head to head with them and Fayetteville beat Har-Ber so Fayetteville is the 2 seed. Making Har-Ber the 3 seed.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 18, 2016, 08:04:05 pm
If it's a perfect triangle, sportsguy80, for instance Bentonville beat Fayetteville, Fayetteville beat Har-Ber, Har-Ber beat Bentonville, then it comes down to tiebreaker points. If you don't know what tiebreaker points are, those are the points you get for every conference victory based off your margin of victory up to 13 points (this is to discourage running up the score).

When it comes down to the perfect triangle tiebreaker points, the top seed is decided like so: (It's easier for me to do with an example)

At the end of the year:

Fayetteville - 78 tiebreaker points (6-1 in conference)
Bentonville - 77 tiebreaker points (6-1 in conference)
Har-Ber - 76 tiebreaker points (6-1 in conference)

In this case, Har-Ber has the lowest amount of tiebreaker points, thus you eliminate them from the top seed and it comes down to head to head between Fayetteville and Bentonville. Bentonville beat Fayetteville, so Bentonville gets the 1 seed.

Then since you have Fayetteville and Har-Ber left, you go to head to head with them and Fayetteville beat Har-Ber so Fayetteville is the 2 seed. Making Har-Ber the 3 seed.
Ok thanks for clearing that up.

HarBer Dad

Best I can determine here is what the 7A seeding scenarios look like.
Assume that HB FV BV all beat other 5 teams in conference by max allowed 13 points so we are just considering spread for the three games between HB, FV and BV.
1. HB wins Friday: (1) HB (2) BV (3) FV as determined by conf record
2. FV wins Friday by two points or less.
    HB +13 pt spread vs BV
    BV +  3 pt spread vs FV
    FV +  2 pt spread vs HB
    HB & BV head to head = HB #1 seed then...
    BV & FV head to head = BV # 2 seed, FV #3
3. FV wins Friday by three points or more
    HB & FV  head to head = FV #1 seed then...
    HB & BV head to head = HB #2 seed, BV #3

Clear as mud ;)

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: HarBer Dad on October 19, 2016, 11:57:13 am
Best I can determine here is what the 7A seeding scenarios look like.
Assume that HB FV BV all beat other 5 teams in conference by max allowed 13 points so we are just considering spread for the three games between HB, FV and BV.
1. HB wins Friday: (1) HB (2) BV (3) FV as determined by conf record
2. FV wins Friday by two points or less.
    HB +13 pt spread vs BV
    BV +  3 pt spread vs FV
    FV +  2 pt spread vs HB
    HB & BV head to head = HB #1 seed then...
    BV & FV head to head = BV # 2 seed, FV #3
3. FV wins Friday by three points or more
    HB & FV  head to head = FV #1 seed then...
    HB & BV head to head = HB #2 seed, BV #3

Clear as mud ;)
Only way HB doesn't get the 1 seed is if FV beats them by 13+. Then both HB and FV would have 78 points and FV would own the tiebreaker with head to head over HB. I am making an assumption that all 3 teams get the 13 points in their final 2 games. FV wins by 4 or more they will be 2 seed, 3 or less they will be 3 seed.

sportsguy80

Thanks a lot guys. I have a bit more perspective on this Friday's game now. At this point of the season, I wonder what is the top priority for both teams especially Fayetteville. You want your team to keep getting better and win at the same time. Both teams will be big time playoff threats but it sure is nice to play at home during post season.

HarBer Dad

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 19, 2016, 12:09:26 pm
Only way HB doesn't get the 1 seed is if FV beats them by 13+. Then both HB and FV would have 78 points and FV would own the tiebreaker with head to head over HB. I am making an assumption that all 3 teams get the 13 points in their final 2 games. FV wins by 4 or more they will be 2 seed, 3 or less they will be 3 seed.

It's my understanding that the point spread is only used to eliminate one of the three teams (lowest spread).  The #1 seed is then determined by the head to head match up of the two teams w highest spread.  The #2 seed is then determined by head to head match up of the remaining two teams.

It could all be real simple if HB wins Friday.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: HarBer Dad on October 19, 2016, 12:54:50 pm
It's my understanding that the point spread is only used to eliminate one of the three teams (lowest spread).  The #1 seed is then determined by the head to head match up of the two teams w highest spread.  The #2 seed is then determined by head to head match up of the remaining two teams.

It could all be real simple if HB wins Friday.
HB Dad you may be right about the tiebreaker. Hopefully HB wins and we don't have to find out!!!

Yellowcake

Grizzlyfan

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 21, 2016, 10:40:50 am
But what about Har-Ber
They fast, they big, they dirty..... plus they fast......

sportsguy80

Wow didn't see this coming. Fayetteville looked very good.

Brian G

Yellowcake

Shocker it was not just a win, but a pasting.

Brian G

FHS controls the #1 seed by winning out.

RyanLR

What in the world happened to Har-Ber?

Sect103

Fayetteville stopped the run. It was that simple.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Sect103 on October 22, 2016, 05:45:08 am
Fayetteville stopped the run. It was that simple.
Best description of the game. Hard to win when you are one dimensional. FV exposed that big time.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 22, 2016, 08:36:44 am
Best description of the game. Hard to win when you are one dimensional. FV exposed that big time.
Yeah I tend agree. I think I would have put the backup in a bit earlier. The passing game was nonexistent. Fayetteville had some huge turnovers in the first half but HB couldn't capitalize.

DerekOxford

Quote from: sportsguy80 on October 22, 2016, 09:16:21 am
Yeah I tend agree. I think I would have put the backup in a bit earlier. The passing game was nonexistent. Fayetteville had some huge turnovers in the first half but HB couldn't capitalize.

Good point. Hinton's fumble on the goal line and then Rock's fumble deep in HB territory killed two scoring opportunities. FHS probably should've been up 14-0 or 21-0 at half.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas