• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top CFB programs of AP poll era

Started by LRRandy, August 02, 2016, 04:52:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

I've always thought it in my mind and felt it in my heart but now the Associated Press confirms it with facts. Go Buckeyes!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/08/02/ohio-state-tops-aps-all-time-top-100/87961104/

WPWells

LRRandy

Facts are facts. The formula is based on times ranked, times ranked #1,and championships. While there are teams with more national championships than tOhio State the consistency of being ranked and ranked high ( most times ranked #1 ) makes them the #1 team in the History of the AP poll.

Curious, I thought Arkansas won a national championship. Was it not an AP championship?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: LRRandy on August 02, 2016, 07:04:04 pm
Facts are facts. The formula is based on times ranked, times ranked #1,and championships. While there are teams with more national championships than tOhio State the consistency of being ranked and ranked high ( most times ranked #1 ) makes them the #1 team in the History of the AP poll.

Curious, I thought Arkansas won a national championship. Was it not an AP championship?

Az far as the AP is concerned Arkansas's championship doesn't exist, the claimed national title was awarded by the football writers association of america

sevenof400

Quote from: LRRandy on August 02, 2016, 04:52:39 pm
I've always thought it in my mind and felt it in my heart but now the Associated Press confirms it with facts. Go Buckeyes!!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/08/02/ohio-state-tops-aps-all-time-top-100/87961104/

I see USA is printing Onion stories now....

LRRandy

Quote from: HorseFeathers on August 02, 2016, 07:12:33 pm
Az far as the AP is concerned Arkansas's championship doesn't exist, the claimed national title was awarded by the football writers association of america
got it. I knew they had the '64 championship.

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on August 02, 2016, 07:53:26 pm
I see USA is printing Onion stories now....
haha, no way. That's the AP man.  ;D

Lionheart88

Quote from: LRRandy on August 02, 2016, 08:35:57 pm
got it. I knew they had the '64 championship.
Yeah, the AP awarded it to Bama before the bowls.  Then they lost to texas in the Orange Bowl.  Arkansas went undefeated, including beating Nebraska 10-7 in the Cotton Bowl (and outscored opponents by an average of 21-6 that year).

LRRandy

August 03, 2016, 04:28:29 pm #8 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:30:45 pm by LRRandy
Quote from: Lionheart88 on August 03, 2016, 02:41:30 pm
Yeah, the AP awarded it to Bama before the bowls.  Then they lost to texas in the Orange Bowl.  Arkansas went undefeated, including beating Nebraska 10-7 in the Cotton Bowl (and outscored opponents by an average of 21-6 that year).
it goes to show the importance of how bowls are viewed now versus then. To vote before the last games for the best teams in the country are played reflects the exhibition status of those games then. Now they are a critical component  to how a national championship is won.
    The number of bowls today versus then is staggering as well. I understand today the majority of the bowls are an advertising money grab for ESPN but back then only conference champions went to bowls for the most part. The B1G didn't allow second place finishers to go to bowls until 1973 or 1974. Xichigan went something like 27-2-1 over a three season period and didn't go to a bowl in any of those seasons. Crazy to think about that.

mtindian42

Go Bucks!!! #1 of all time...🎉🎉🎉

mtindian42

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas