• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Super bowl 50

Started by mtindian42, February 07, 2016, 08:03:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bleudog

February 09, 2016, 10:49:59 am #50 Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 11:15:28 am by bleudog
Quote from: Breitontime on February 08, 2016, 06:37:02 pm
Quote from: Lionheart88 on February 08, 2016, 03:14:26 pm
Fun, fun game as a Broncos fan who enjoys defensive football.  Also, good grief does Newton need a lesson in "act like you've been there before".
Like this?

Something Manning has been known to blow off after he loses.

But look at Manning's post game super bowl press conference from two years ago when Seattle beat Denver 43-8.

I'm not sure why they decided to waste 2:12 minutes of showing Manning walking the halls to get there, but once the press conference starts, it's an example of how a professional presents and conducts himself when the outcome wasn't what they'd hoped.

HorseFeathers

Some people handle losses differentky....not like he went out and torched some cars, he walked out of a press conference....big deal....

Lions84

It was one of the better games I watched since I love dominate D.

bleudog

Quote from: HF on February 09, 2016, 11:42:33 am
Some people handle losses differentky....not like he went out and torched some cars, he walked out of a press conference....big deal....

HF, there is improvement from the NFC Championship game, at least he took the Gatorade rag off his head during the National Anthem.

Now if he would just take that head condom off for a few minutes and learn where his right hand is supposed to go.............

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bleudog on February 09, 2016, 12:01:09 pm
Quote from: HF on February 09, 2016, 11:42:33 am

HF, there is improvement from the NFC Championship game, at least he took the Gatorade rag off his head during the National Anthem.

Now if he would just take that head condom off for a few minutes and learn where his right hand is supposed to go.............

Alright you got me there...cause I agree with that

nuttinbuthogs

Newton seems to be a front runner, shines when it goes his way doesn't do too well when it doesn't.  I cannot see defending his actions at the game or the post game press conference.  Some have said he is young, his feeling were hurt and so on.  Well, maybe so but he still ought to behave with some class.  Should he not be held to a pretty high standard? 

fastdrop

I didn't watch a single minute of the game. First time ever....... since I didn't have any fantasy players playing it meant nothing to me.  ;D

nuttinbuthogs

So you are not a football fan?

fastdrop

Yep, just didn't care for the match up so I decided to mow my yard instead.

dc24

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on February 08, 2016, 08:28:37 am
I called this at the beginning of the season, if anyone cares and/or remembers.

But seriously, has anyone ever seen a better defense than that?

I would throw 2013 Seahawks defense into that mix.  I think some people would make the argument for 2001 Ravens.

My case for the Seahawks is that the 2013 Denver offense was widely considered to be one of the best of all-time and Seattle absolutely obliterated them in Super Bowl 48.  That said, Von Miller is probably better than any player on Seattle's defense that year, except maybe Sherman or Bennett.  But I'd take Seattle's defensive backfield that year over Denver's this year.  Linebackers are a push, and Seattle's pass rush was great that year, but probably have to go with Denver's in that category.  Run stopping, probably about the same as well.

All in all though, it's pretty rare to see defenses dominate a game so much in today's football, but I do think the two-week break is advantageous for defenses.

It should be noted though that Carolina did outgain Denver by more than 100 yards, if they could have held on to the ball and not missed a field goal, could have very well been a different outcome, but Denver forced the turnovers they forced, no doubt about that.

As for Cam, I think too many people judge him over the whole Auburn scandal, especially fans in the south and of other SEC teams.  I've seen Manning and Brady yell and cuss out teammates and coaches and that is worse to me than anything I've seen Newton do since he became a pro.  I won't lose any sleep over any of his actions.

bdubyab60

Well Cam had a presser yesterday. Said he walked off stage because he is a sore loser. Anyone who excepts losing is a loser. Well Cam you lost. Sounds like a baby to me and something you get from a highschool kid.

I still think he could have handled himself like the other hundreds of players that have lost a Super Bowl. Instead he left his teammates to answer those questions. QB is supposed to be your leader.

He also answered questions about the fumble. At least 4 minutes left and only down 6 when it happened. I'm sure most have seen the video. His excuse, I was in a bad position and I felt I could have gotten injured. Again sounds like a guy that let his teammates down to me.

I dont have a problem with his dancing, his cockiness as much as some other folks. Could he tame it back sure, some other players as well. But if you are going to be like that you have to handle yourself and be just as confident when you lose. Don't sit there like a baby that got your rattle taken away.

I mean seriously. You are a grown man and a PROFESSIONAL football player. Might wanna act like it

chaoslord

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 10, 2016, 07:29:57 am
Well Cam had a presser yesterday. Said he walked off stage because he is a sore loser. Anyone who excepts losing is a loser. Well Cam you lost. Sounds like a baby to me and something you get from a highschool kid.

Vince Lombardi pioneered the quote he used. I wouldn't call Lombardi some highschool kid, personally.

bdubyab60

Quote from: chaoslord on February 10, 2016, 09:26:41 am
Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 10, 2016, 07:29:57 am

Vince Lombardi pioneered the quote he used. I wouldn't call Lombardi some highschool kid, personally.
Actions speak louder than words. How he acted is what's in question. And I bet Lombardi never acted like Cam did.

Rulesman

Lombardi would have kicked him in the butt,

chaoslord

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 10, 2016, 01:11:35 pm
Actions speak louder than words. How he acted is what's in question. And I bet Lombardi never acted like Cam did.

You were criticizing his defense of his actions in the part I quoted. You said what Cam said was childish. I was pointing out one of the legends of the game believed the same thing as what Cam said and I doubt you would say that Lombardi was childish to say that anyone who accepts losing is a loser.

I know few will share my opinion but I'm fine with what Cam did since he congratulated Peyton on the field and he paid respect to the Denver defense before he left the interview. Had he walked off the field without shaking anyone's hand? I'd have a huge problem with that. However, I'm not the biggest fan of the media circus around the game so if he doesn't sit there and play ball with some idiot reporters that's fine with me. He showed sportsmanship to the opponents who actually beat him on the field and that is what I care about.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: dc24 on February 10, 2016, 02:11:18 am

I would throw 2013 Seahawks defense into that mix.  I think some people would make the argument for 2001 Ravens.

My case for the Seahawks is that the 2013 Denver offense was widely considered to be one of the best of all-time and Seattle absolutely obliterated them in Super Bowl 48.  That said, Von Miller is probably better than any player on Seattle's defense that year, except maybe Sherman or Bennett.  But I'd take Seattle's defensive backfield that year over Denver's this year.  Linebackers are a push, and Seattle's pass rush was great that year, but probably have to go with Denver's in that category.  Run stopping, probably about the same as well.

All in all though, it's pretty rare to see defenses dominate a game so much in today's football, but I do think the two-week break is advantageous for defenses.

It should be noted though that Carolina did outgain Denver by more than 100 yards, if they could have held on to the ball and not missed a field goal, could have very well been a different outcome, but Denver forced the turnovers they forced, no doubt about that.

As for Cam, I think too many people judge him over the whole Auburn scandal, especially fans in the south and of other SEC teams.  I've seen Manning and Brady yell and cuss out teammates and coaches and that is worse to me than anything I've seen Newton do since he became a pro.  I won't lose any sleep over any of his actions.

Did you not think Cam's offense appeared just as unstoppable as Denver in 13?

I'll agree with most of what you said though. As far as secondaries, it is Chris Harris Jr, Aqib Talib, TJ Ward, and Darian Stewart vs Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor. Don't know if we have ever seen any secondary in history that can match up with those two.

RATTLER43

Steelers Blount, Shell, Edwards, and Wagner.

http://www.steelersuk.com/history/seventies/1976%20defense.html

dc24

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on February 10, 2016, 02:23:42 pm
Quote from: dc24 on February 10, 2016, 02:11:18 am

Did you not think Cam's offense appeared just as unstoppable as Denver in 13?

I'll agree with most of what you said though. As far as secondaries, it is Chris Harris Jr, Aqib Talib, TJ Ward, and Darian Stewart vs Sherman, Earl Thomas, and Kam Chancellor. Don't know if we have ever seen any secondary in history that can match up with those two.

I disagree on Carolina's offense, wasn't a believer in them all season.  Cam is great, Ted Ginn had a breakout year, Stewart is good, and Olson may be the best TE not named Gronkowski, but as a whole, I just think they were a solid bunch.  If Seattle could have managed a better start, or even something as simple as recovering the fumble on Carolina's first drive, I believe Seattle would have ended their season.  They didn't do anything in the second half and have gone cold at other times.  As good as Cam is, his QB rating against Seattle in his career is around 30, maybe lower.  Take out the fourth quarter in Seattle this year and first half of the playoff game, it's around 14 or 15.  Seattle has attacked Cam the same way Denver did the past few years.  Excellent team speed, solid run defense, and a pass rush to disrupt him, but Seattle couldn't get a pass rush for whatever reason in the playoff game and gave up the big run at the beginning.

That said, yeah they looked unstoppable and I didn't think they would lose the way they did.  I thought Carolina would win, but Denver would keep it very close because of defense.  Just didn't think their offense would score enough, which kind of happened because the defense scored one TD and set up the other one, but Carolina couldn't do much at all.

Yeah, I'm sure there were some older secondaries that can match up, but from my days watching football, these are two of the best, and it makes it all the more impressive because the game is geared towards offenses nowadays in a way it wasn't back then.  Teams are much better at throwing the football too.

Longfellow

Here is an oft-neglected fact on Carolina's offense: Ted Ginn had the highest drop percentage in the league among qualified players. At one point, he was dropping 54% of the catchable passes thrown to him. That's not exactly WR1 material

nuttinbuthogs

Cam has talent.  I would however question some of the components of his character.  Team player? when things are going good, things going bad: cry and wine and complain.  We know he has a few questionable moments in his past maybe he should work harder on his image in a positive way.  It didn't look good to act like a petulant child at the post game or in his interview a few days later where he claimed he was a bad loser.  Really?  I bet most people are, particularly pro athletes.  It is not a question of liking or disliking losing, it is about handling a disappointment in a mature way. Like it or not he does have a certain responsibility to appear at an interview and answer questions as a representative of his team and the NFL.  He gets an enormous paycheck from those organizations, fueled by ticket and product sales.  He owes the organization and the fans the time.   I've seen way too many athletes sit down and talk about losing and how they hate it but do it with some class, class is the question.   I think that is what some dont like about Cam, its all about Cam and he doesn't show much class in how he represents himself or the game.  What I don't understand is why people defend his bad behavior? Grow up, become one of the great ones or continue to act like a baby and be known as a guy with talent who doesn't know how to conduct himself. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas