• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Public vs Private Schools Pile (Past/Present/Future/All Classes)

Started by MDXPHD, December 17, 2015, 03:12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 20, 2015, 06:42:25 am
Quote from: PA Dad on December 19, 2015, 11:04:34 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 19, 2015, 10:07:04 pm
I know of several posters on this board who have named kids that transferred in from another district to play football, but the posts always get deleted. The problem I have with a private school is that they try to act like boosters or others don't try to recruit some of the top athletes.  I'm absolutely not saying it doesn't happen at public schools, because it does all of the time. I just don't see why private schools have to deny it.

Sure, kids come in from other districts and play football.  The issue is why.  For example, our best defensive lineman transferred in as a freshman or sophomore.  His dad is a colonel in the Air Force and was transferred to LRAFB.  Is that recruiting?  Is it cheating?

I heard Kelley called Obama and had him transfer the dad there...maybe it's true or maybe it's a rumor. I believe it.

Now you're learning how powerful PA's recruiting influence really is!

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: the voice on December 20, 2015, 09:42:13 am
I have no ax to grind , you are the one who is trying to convince others that it's simply hard work more than what anyone else does. I don't know the team players names. I'm speaking from others called facts on a previous thread. You were nothing like me , I'm not a hater , I simply get tired of people acting like its nothing but hard work separating PA from other schools, I certainly don't hate anyone, this run will end , sooner than some think. As for the d1 players it was in thread and it mentioned names and previous classes.

It's easy to stand back and say they hate us because we win. Wrong , most don't hate , they are against you for your brash comments,  pounding a team to mercy rule when game was long decided, thinking it's perfectly acceptable to run score to 35 because that's when sportsmanship rule kicks in.  To blare music out over the speakers at a game while destorying all pride a team has in the process of being up 40 points.

I have relatives in private schools right now and I support them completely. I do not hate PA , I certainly don't have the respect for them I did years ago. I understand your choice to send your daughters there. As for apologizing for being a fan , well not anymore, that says enough.

Keep looking down at us public schools who haven't figured out how to work as hard you guys. Someday maybe if try harder we can. My team is 2-1 against KK at pa , but we have to learn how to work harder to be able to be on that level. Maybe some day. Let me know next you're coming to practice to see if we aren't working as hard , I'd like to see you
You've mentioned the music twice but I don't know what that means. PA plays music before the game, at half and usually late in the 4th quarter. Did they play something offensive when you were there?

PA Dad

December 20, 2015, 12:49:35 pm #102 Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:51:25 pm by PA Dad
For those who are really interested, here is the AAA rule regarding financial aid:

"M. Tuition and Financial Aid Procedures. If tuition is charged, it must be paid by parent, legal
guardian, or other family member. If a parent, guardian, or other family member secures a loan for payment of tuition, it must remain an obligation of the parents, guardian, or other family member to repay the principal and interest in full with no exceptions. Financial aid will be allowed under the following conditions:
1. Financial aid may only be awarded on the basis of need. Proof of need must be filed in the AAA office on forms approved by the Executive Director. In order to determine the basis for need, all schools awarding financial aid shall use one of the following agencies: Financial Aid Independent Review, Financial Aid for School Tuition, Private School Aid Service, School and Student Service for Financial Aid, Tuition Aid Data Services, and FACTS Grant in Aid Agency. The use of any unapproved agency renders the student ineligible.
2. Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation, scholarship, or similar program that is established and/or administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial aid.
3. Schools shall remove any student from athletic eligibility whose accounts with the school are 60 days overdue.
All records pertaining to financial aid or tuition assistance shall be open to the AAA upon its request. Each school shall be responsible for securing necessary authorization to allow the AAA to review or audit such records.
N. In addition, nonpublic member schools providing financial assistance programs for athletes shall present to the Executive Director of the AAA by October 1 of each year the following documents: Financial Aid For Non-public School Athletes and Financial Aid Form Supplemental List. Nonpublic member schools must also submit to the AAA a Student-Athlete Financial Aid Report Form for fall sports by December 7 of each year and a Student-Athlete Financial Aid Report Form for winter and spring sports by May 8 of each year."

PA uses the School and Student Service for Financial Aid.

This rule is on page 45 of the AAA Handbook.

AirWarren

What if a wealthy alum or booster opts to pay for a kid to attend there?

PA Dad

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 19, 2015, 10:05:13 pm
So some third party with no connection to the school just tells the school "these 12 kids get discounts of 20%" and the school say "oh, ok, sure." and goes along with it?  Why?  That doesn't make any sense.  The school has to have something to do with setting criteria.  Why else would the school have them running their discount program?

I've looked at this some more and here's how I think it works.

I posted the AAA rule above.  Financial assistance can be awarded based only on need.  The school cannot determine the amount of need - the school must use one of the organizations designated by the AAA to make that determination.  That organization determines the maximum that can be provided based on need.  PA can then award the maximum amount, a lesser amount, or none at all.

And, PA must provide the AAA reports regarding athletes who receive financial aid.

I think the rule is designed to allow athletes to receive aid just like non athletes do, but to also insure that athletes are not treated more favorably than non athletes.

PA Dad

Quote from: AirWarren on December 20, 2015, 12:58:55 pm

The first sentence of the rule prohibits that.

Could it happen despite the rule?  Sure it could.  Is there any evidence that it is happening or has happened?  Not to my knowledge.

And, if you or anyone else has evidence that PA is breaking or has broken the rule, please get it to me.  I will personally report it to the AAA and will post the date and time when I will do so.

AirWarren

You seem to be an honest guy pa dad. I like that.

the voice

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 20, 2015, 11:47:52 am
I have no ax to grind , you are the one who is trying to convince others that it's simply hard work more than what anyone else does. I don't know the team players names. I'm speaking from others called facts on a previous thread. You were nothing like me , I'm not a hater , I simply get tired of people acting like its nothing but hard work separating PA from other schools, I certainly don't hate anyone, this run will end , sooner than some think. As for the d1 players it was in thread and it mentioned names and previous classes.

It's easy to stand back and say they hate us because we win. Wrong , most don't hate , they are against you for your brash comments,  pounding a team to mercy rule when game was long decided, thinking it's perfectly acceptable to run score to 35 because that's when sportsmanship rule kicks in.  To blare music out over the speakers at a game while destorying all pride a team has in the process of being up 40 points.

I have relatives in private schools right now and I support them completely. I do not hate PA , I certainly don't have the respect for them I did years ago. I understand your choice to send your daughters there. As for apologizing for being a fan , well not anymore, that says enough.

Keep looking down at us public schools who haven't figured out how to work as hard you guys. Someday maybe if try harder we can. My team is 2-1 against KK at pa , but we have to learn how to work harder to be able to be on that level. Maybe some day. Let me know next you're coming to practice to see if we aren't working as hard , I'd like to see you
You've mentioned the music twice but I don't know what that means. PA plays music before the game, at half and usually late in the 4th quarter. Did they play something offensive when you were there?

Yeah they did , during the game , I know it was reported because it was against the rules to do it at those times. Perhaps they've changed since then , but they played it during the game .

PA Dad

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 20, 2015, 01:55:08 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on December 20, 2015, 01:41:20 pm

Thanks.

Don't let him fool you. He always says what you want to hear. He's a politician, and not the Trump kind.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 20, 2015, 02:13:06 pm

Thanks.

Don't let him fool you. He always says what you want to hear. He's a politician, and not the Trump kind.

I don't know if that's a compliment or a complaint.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 20, 2015, 01:54:08 pm
Quote from: Red Devil Alum on December 20, 2015, 11:47:52 am

Yeah they did , during the game , I know it was reported because it was against the rules to do it at those times. Perhaps they've changed since then , but they played it during the game .

I have never heard music played over the PA system during a game.  The PA band plays, but no recorded music is played over the speaker system.

the voice

Like I said , perhaps they got in trouble for it. I can assure you they did , the last time we were there.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 20, 2015, 02:28:11 pm
Like I said , perhaps they got in trouble for it. I can assure you they did , the last time we were there.

Maybe, but it must have been a long time ago.

I don't think music can be played over the PA system at any time during the game.  The bands can play anytime as long as the ball is not inside the 20 yard line.  That rule is routinely ignored by most bands.

the voice

2013 the last time y'all lost at home. Ask anyone from Morrilton who was there. It happened.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 20, 2015, 02:39:35 pm
2013 the last time y'all lost at home. Ask anyone from Morrilton who was there. It happened.

I'll take your word for it.

tmycjy

That my whole point I don't like it's like salarship my point is that if a kids want to go to your school there family should be able to pay for them to attend that school

Oldbadger

I really don't see a problem with that! I mean, why not?  It is not the schools money.  No different than borrowing the money.   You just don't have to pay it back.

sevenof400

It would not be an issue if there were an equivalent action available in the public school system - but there is not. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 20, 2015, 08:39:07 pm

It would not be an issue if there were an equivalent action available in the public school system - but there is not. 

How about getting to live rent free in a house in recruiting schools district?

AirWarren

Quote from: HF on December 20, 2015, 09:09:13 pm

We all know about the double wide's placed strategically in certain school districts for these purposes. Gives folks that "physical address".

Oldbadger

Quote from: AirWarren on December 20, 2015, 09:20:26 pm

We all know about the double wide's placed strategically in certain school districts for these purposes. Gives folks that "physical address".
It doesn't matter as long as the Coach or some other school personnel had nothing to do with the arrangements. 

Grond

You have obviously been up to the Missouri bootheel! [Northeast Arkansas]

There was a 'situation' last year where a highly talented northeast Arkansas basketball player showed up his senior year at a small Missouri high school.

Sorry guys, but part of the reason I don't get all hot & bothered about all the PA recruiting accusations is that we have all the drama up in northeast Arkansas without a private school. (Oops, sorry, Valley View THINKS they are a private school.)

Lionheart88

What, you've never paid a kid's tuition at the local public school? :P

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Grond on December 20, 2015, 10:18:01 pm

You have obviously been up to the Missouri bootheel! [Northeast Arkansas]

There was a 'situation' last year where a highly talented northeast Arkansas basketball player showed up his senior year at a small Missouri high school.

Sorry guys, but part of the reason I don't get all hot & bothered about all the PA recruiting accusations is that we have all the drama up in northeast Arkansas without a private school. (Oops, sorry, Valley View THINKS they are a private school.)

Haha, I have not. But I have second hand information on a couple that skirt around those pesky transfer rules that way.

Yellowcake

Ah, it's the music. I see now.

I was at that game and have no idea what you are talking about. I think you are just making up stuff. You know, because of all that hate.

Since you can't back up the "PA wins because they had 2-4 D1 players every year" comment, I will give you another chance. Please direct me to any comment where some PA fan on here down-talked the public schools. It's been my impression that folks on here have had honest and open discussions about why PA has been on a successful run. If you see that as down talking, then maybe the problem isn't with the PA posters. It may be, you know, all that hate.

the voice

December 21, 2015, 06:17:03 am #126 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:24:00 am by the voice
Yellow cake you can stir it all you want. I'm done talking to you. I can get plenty of witnesses about the music. Doesn't matter you want to accuse of hate. You're narrow minded and probably never was a part of anything successful until you jumped on the bandwagon there. It wasn't just the music , it was several things. Doesn't matter anymore, this has gone far enough and wasted enough of my time. When will you be attending practice? It takes way more than catching a glimpse of practice while picking up a child from basketball practice and saying that's why they win. As for them playing together in 5th grade , let's do some talking on that as well Let me know we can discuss the rest there

Most PA posters and I have had good discussion, I could go and find names of the players other the two or three I know , to put them here thread gets deleted. But you're a new poster and unaware. Second you are one of the PA posters that most dislike. I'll leave the others alone they're bound to show up sooner or later.

So just let me know when and we can finish this discussion, yellow,
Being as you're practically accusing me of lying. We have much to discuss

MDXPHD

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 21, 2015, 12:03:03 am
Ah, it's the music. I see now.

I was at that game and have no idea what you are talking about. I think you are just making up stuff. You know, because of all that hate.

Since you can't back up the "PA wins because they had 2-4 D1 players every year" comment, I will give you another chance. Please direct me to any comment where some PA fan on here down-talked the public schools. It's been my impression that folks on here have had honest and open discussions about why PA has been on a successful run. If you see that as down talking, then maybe the problem isn't with the PA posters. It may be, you know, all that hate.

And you can deny they have 2-4 d-1 players each year? Surely you can't.

Quote from: PA Dad on December 20, 2015, 02:18:39 pm
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 20, 2015, 02:13:06 pm

Thanks.

I don't know if that's a compliment or a complaint.

Lol, it might have been a mixture of both. But, not being the Trump kind can only be taken as a compliment.

MDXPHD

Somebody asked about the most dominant programs, I think it was Grond. So, lets do it.

Greenwood and Junction City have 6 state championships since 01.
Bentonville and Charleston have 5.
Fayetteville, ElDo, and Nashville have 4.
Warren has 3.

These 8 teams have won 37 out of the 80 possible championships since 01. That's 8 teams out of the 210 schools that have won 46 percent of the championships. That would be 3 percent of the public schools that have won almost half of the state championships.

Add in the privates to that and you get 12 teams making up 64 percent of the titles. That's insane.

MDXPHD

PA awarded 132 scholarships in grades 7-12. Out of those, 86 play sports.

Grond

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 21, 2015, 09:02:38 am
Somebody asked about the most dominant programs, I think it was Grond. So, lets do it.

Greenwood and Junction City have 6 state championships since 01.
Bentonville and Charleston have 5.
Fayetteville, ElDo, and Nashville have 4.
Warren has 3.

These 8 teams have won 37 out of the 80 possible championships since 01. That's 8 teams out of the 210 schools that have won 46 percent of the championships. That would be 3 percent of the public schools that have won almost half of the state championships.

Add in the privates to that and you get 12 teams making up 64 percent of the titles. That's insane.

Thank you. Interesting data, there are some successful programs!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 21, 2015, 09:32:09 am

Most kids at PA are in extracurricular activities, including sports.  I would guess that percentage is in line with all students.

Where are the numbers you cite available?

Grond

How are the "scholarships" defined? Are they based on need, or other factors?

Good work. +1   ;)

the voice

What is the enrollment for 7-12? I guess you could maybe just say what is the percentage on scholarship? Also maybe a PA person could say if they do partial ones as well. Just curious

MDXPHD

December 21, 2015, 10:14:45 am #134 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:19:38 am by MDXPHD
I will answer some more questions later (guess I better work at least some today), but what is interesting to me, and to prove that there is something about a private school and athletes, is that PA produces d-1 players almost every single year. They have an enrollment of roughly 104 students per grade. They produce as many d-1 athletes, if not more, than a school like Bentonville (who is the most successful program in the largest classification). Bentonville has almost 1000 kids per grade level.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 19, 2015, 10:12:23 pm

See my explanation above.  I'll be interested to see what information you get.  I believe that about 90% of students who get financial assistance at PA do not participate in athletics.

This was a little off, wouldn't you say?

Oldbadger

This scenario:  A junior in some high school in the state.  Doesn't matter which one, just that they haven't been successful in the last 10 years, so, he, and his father, are afraid he won't get noticed by colleges at the next level. He is 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighs about 220.  Currently playing QB.  He had a decent year but his team went 2-8 and didn't make the playoffs. In talking with other football parents he laments this to them.  One suggests, "he ought to go to (such and such_) private school.  They have won several state championships and several of their players went on to play at the D1 level.  So his Dad talks to the principal of that school and he enrolls there.  He pays his own way.  Anything wrong with this?  The only thing I see is, he can't do that at any public school in the state.  This is what is bad about the private school vs. the public.  By the way, this is a fictitious player, so I'm not asking for a friend.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 21, 2015, 11:14:11 am
This scenario:  A junior in some high school in the state.  Doesn't matter which one, just that they haven't been successful in the last 10 years, so, he, and his father, are afraid he won't get noticed by colleges at the next level. He is 6 feet 4 inches tall and weighs about 220.  Currently playing QB.  He had a decent year but his team went 2-8 and didn't make the playoffs. In talking with other football parents he laments this to them.  One suggests, "he ought to go to (such and such_) private school.  They have won several state championships and several of their players went on to play at the D1 level.  So his Dad talks to the principal of that school and he enrolls there.  He pays his own way.  Anything wrong with this?  The only thing I see is, he can't do that at any public school in the state.  This is what is bad about the private school vs. the public.  By the way, this is a fictitious player, so I'm not asking for a friend.

He can't do that at the private school unless he moves within their radius, correct? Otherwise, he would have to sit out one full calendar year.

Grond

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 21, 2015, 11:14:11 am

It is a lot EASIER to move kids from public school to public school than you make it sound in your statement. Let me run through the various examples that happen in northeast Arkansas.

SCHOOL CHOICE
For a time, the Greene County Tech football and basketball programs were doing pretty well. The result was an exodus of players from Paragould to GCT. (And we now have GCT band kids transferring to Paragould because of the accomplishments of the Paragould Pride band.)

LIVE WITH MOM, DAD, ...... OR GRANDMA
If you think people flock to winning programs, then just watch them RUN from losing football programs!

At Paragould, we had a Batesville kid that spent 1 week with Paragould football, and went back to live with Grandma in Batesville! (I don't blame him.)

We had our second best receiver decide he was fed up, and transferred to Brookland mid-season. This was done by transferring the kid's address to his mother (parents divorced), who lived in Brookland (4A school).

Parents are going to get their kids where they want them.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 21, 2015, 11:11:38 am
Quote from: PA Dad on December 19, 2015, 10:12:23 pm

See my explanation above.  I'll be interested to see what information you get.  I believe that about 90% of students who get financial assistance at PA do not participate in athletics.

This was a little off, wouldn't you say?

I was way off.

I'd like to see the numbers broken down by sport.  I still think that very few football players receive financial aid.  But, I may be way off on that too.

sevenof400

FWIW: There is / are also M to M transfers and magnet school transfers available in the public schools.

gameoflife

Recruitment, in high school?  Surely not!

PA Dad

Do your numbers break it down by grade and by sport?  I'd really like to see the number of football players who receive financial aid.

PA Dad

Quote from: Grond on December 21, 2015, 09:39:59 am

How are the "scholarships" defined? Are they based on need, or other factors?

Good work. +1   ;)

All scholarships are based on need. And I assume scholarship means any financial assistance.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on December 21, 2015, 09:42:22 am

What is the enrollment for 7-12? I guess you could maybe just say what is the percentage on scholarship? Also maybe a PA person could say if they do partial ones as well. Just curious

As I understand it, a scholarship is defined as any financial aid.  PA does partial scholarships, i.e., part of the tuition is waived.  And PA cannot, under AAA rules, give a student more financial aid than is warranted by the student's family's finances.  That need is determined by a third party.  The third party must come from a list furnished by the AAA.

the voice

Quote from: PA Dad on December 21, 2015, 12:40:21 pm

As I understand it, a scholarship is defined as any financial aid.  PA does partial scholarships, i.e., part of the tuition is waived.  And PA cannot, under AAA rules, give a student more financial aid than is warranted by the student's family's finances.  That need is determined by a third party.  The third party must come from a list furnished by the AAA.
I kinda figured, thanks
The school choice will affect public schools in the coming years as it becomes more popular. I hope it doesn't turn into a mess with kids leaving because of differences in coaches. If that starts it could get ugly.

Bayou Bully

Who fills out the paperwork to be submitted to the third party? More than one way to skin a cat...

PA Dad

Quote from: Bayou Bully on December 21, 2015, 03:25:10 pm

Who fills out the paperwork to be submitted to the third party? More than one way to skin a cat...

I assume the parents furnish the financial information upon which the decision is made.  I don't know who else could do that.  I also assume that the third party requires verification of income by looking at tax returns, etc.  But, I don't know for sure how it is done.

Bayou Bully

So you assume the school in no way helps this process? Seems very unlikely since they benefit financially.

MDXPHD

December 21, 2015, 04:34:51 pm #149 Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:38:40 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: PA Dad on December 21, 2015, 12:33:18 pm

Do your numbers break it down by grade and by sport?  I'd really like to see the number of football players who receive financial aid.

The numbers are broken down by grade, but not by sport, unfortunately. I was interested in that as well.

Also, we mentioned he academic standards making it harder to get in. Out of the 52 student applications, 46 were accepted and 6 were denied admission.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas