• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Doug Nichols Named As HSU Head Men's Basketball Coach

Started by R. A.™, March 29, 2011, 03:00:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

R. A.™

Henderson State Director of Athletics Kale Gober named Doug Nichols as the Reddies' new men's basketball coach. Nichols becomes the 27th head coach for the Reddies in the 99-year history of the program.
"This is an opportunity of a lifetime for me," said Nichols.  "Every coach dreams of becoming a head coach one day, and I could not be more excited about the opportunity that the committee has afforded me."
"The interview process is a grueling, time-consuming process, but when the end product is Doug Nichols it makes it well worth it," said Gober. "We looked at over 125 resumes and Coach Nichols displayed every characteristic the committee desired.  We couldn't be more confident about our selection." 
Nichols comes to Henderson after spending the past season at Arkansas Tech serving as the Wonder Boys' top assistant coach. He helped guide Tech to a Gulf South Conference West Division title, a NCAA South Regional Semifinal appearance and a 25-6 overall record.
"I am excited about the opportunity to build on the rich tradition that Henderson State Basketball is," Nichols added. "We have a long way to go, but I am eager to begin the process of building the program, and doing it in a way that will make all constituents of HSU proud."
Prior to his stint at Arkansas Tech, Nichols served as an assistant coach on Danny Kasper's staff at Stephen F. Austin during the 2009-10 season, and one year (2008-09) as an assistant coach on Todd Neighbors' staff at Angelina College in Lufkin, Texas.
While with Angelina College, he served as the as the program's recruiting coordinator and academic success coordinator.
Nichols began his collegiate coaching career as a graduate assistant at SFA in 2006. He spent two seasons with the Lumberjacks in that capacity and had a hand in all aspects of the program.
His primary responsibilities included scouting, player evaluation, film exchange, travel planning, academic support and academic advising, along with the maintenance of the recruiting database. While serving as a graduate assistant, the Lumberjacks won the 2008 Southland Conference Championship and made it to the first round of the NIT tournament.
Before going to SFA, Nichols worked as an athletic assistant for basketball operations with the men's program at Texas A&M University serving under former current Texas Tech Head Coach Billy Gillispie. 
Nichols has experience working with basketball camps, serving as the director and operator of the South Texas All-Star Basketball Camp. 
Nichols earned a Bachelor of Sports Management from Texas A&M in 2005, as well as earning his Master's of Education from Stephen F. Austin in 2007.
Nichols is a native of Corpus Christi, Texas where he attended Ray High School and lettered three years in basketball earning All-District honors.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas