• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weather/Possible Delay/Rescheduling(Thursday Start Now)

Started by HorseFeathers, March 02, 2014, 12:30:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Seeing on the 3a board that ice is beginning to accumulate on the ground and roads in harrison. . . Can anybody confirm this?

WG07

Main roads are getting covered here, but they aren't that bad yet. Side-roads though..slick

HorseFeathers

Ya talked to a guy who has family up there. And he said it was pouring sleet in harrison. . . .could be an interesting week for the people running the tournament. . .

Bergman1820

March 02, 2014, 03:10:37 pm #3 Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:06:09 pm by vstigerz
I live here in Harrison about 3 miles from the college. I'm going to say area schools closed Monday and Tuesday. With Bergman and Valley Springs having school on Saturday.

Batman44

Not what I wanted to see/hear.

Bergman1820

Quote from: Batman44 on March 02, 2014, 03:49:40 pm
Not what I wanted to see/hear.

Yes I'm sorry to say it. My daughter's first Pee-Wee game was scheduled for Monday. I had the perfect work schedule and game schedule so it all worked perfectly. Forget it now.

oldfireguy

We're continuing to have sleet/snow falling in the Harrison area. updated forcast is for this to be over around 3:00 am tomorrow morning.
Here's a link to current road conditions for those travelling. Site is maintained by Arkansas Highway department and is usually updated every 2 to 4 hours.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/road/text.htm

HorseFeathers

Roads are covered here in pope county. . . Not real slick yet though. Temperature has fallen twenty degrees since rain started falling

doubledribble

Not good, not good at all. 

HorseFeathers

Well Don't know about up north(I know around noon the ground was covered with Ice in Marshall and was snowing at that point)...but here in Hector, the driving is down to keep 'er between the ditches if you have to get out....I never slipped between Russellville and Hector...but it's going to get pretty bad tonight I figure...

TheOfficial

Roads horrible here in Harrison.  News is saying we could have 4-8 inches of total accumulation by Monday morning.  Temps very cold so no melting til probably Tuesday afternoon.

Brian G

AAA will release info for all classes at noon.

oldfireguy

from tournament facebook page, just posted:

The AAA director just informed me that the tournament is being delayed and it will now begin on Wednesday. Everything is being backed up 1 day with the semi finals being played on Sunday. New times will be posted for the games being played on Saturday and Sunday. We will post the new brackets here when we receive them from the AAA.

CRHS4LIFE

Quote from: oldfireguy on March 03, 2014, 10:24:22 am
from tournament facebook page, just posted:

The AAA director just informed me that the tournament is being delayed and it will now begin on Wednesday. Everything is being backed up 1 day with the semi finals being played on Sunday. New times will be posted for the games being played on Saturday and Sunday. We will post the new brackets here when we receive them from the AAA.
What is the likelihood that they bump it back 2 days? Starting the tournament on Thursday or perhaps the games earlier than 1pm on each day?

Brian G

TheOfficial

As bad as roads are around the state I would be very surprised if they play on Wednesday.  I'm betting they start on Thursday.

CRHS4LIFE

That is what I was expecting would happen. Too much ice vs. snow for them to start tomorrow.

ballmember

It would not be smart to start on Wednesday, I mean it would not be safe!!  Unable to stand up on much of this.    I am aware how concerned the AAA is about money so that might also help to postpone til Thursday.  However, all decisions are made in Little Rock.   

HorseFeathers

At a point other things come into play in this decision. Is the host gym available next week? If not who's got plan b?  Also if you back it up far enough that you run into state finals scheduling problems. . . What's the alternate site? Barton  again?  Also have to take into account rounding up volunteers to work the games in the concession stands etc . . . . Guessing with all this bad luck this year they'll put state down south again next year. .

Mr. Basketball

It really doesn't matter where state tournaments are located in the state.  If the schools can't get there due to weather issues, the tournament will be delayed north or south.

ballmember

I would like to think other factors come into play.  but I think we all know who makes that decision.    state finals do not start til Thursday.   Hope the majority of players and people are considered in this .   Kids have worked a long time for a lot of people not to be able to see them in the state tourney.   I would not want to drive a bus and be responsible for others. 

CRHS4LIFE

AAA just tweeted all games start on Thursday now. Times are still in check. Games will be played Thurs, Friday, Saturday, Monday and Semi's on Tuesday.

#1kirbytrojanfan

I would hope that they would keep Sunday on the schedule? Some of us parents have taken vacation days and can't be there to see kids play?

CRHS4LIFE

I empathize with you, I would like to see it on Sunday too. The new bracket comes out within an hour, but the following was the tweet released by the AAA:

"6A, 5A, 3A, 2A, & 1A will play games on Thur, Fri, Sat, Mon & Tues."

Googlymoogly

yeah, what happened to Sunday games? what's the point of taking a whole day off in the middle of it now?

CRHS4LIFE

I think they are trying to respect the blue laws of Sunday.

Googlymoogly

there are no blue laws! That's just dumb

CRHS4LIFE

No, but they are NOT going to play on Sunday's if they don't have to. Remember, revenue. This is a state that goes to Church lol.

Googlymoogly

actually on second thought, having a day off in the middle of it doesn't sound bad to me since I will be there every minute of the tournament anyway. It's just going to cost some people more money, that's all

CRHS4LIFE

Either way, that is my only guess why it went from being played on Sunday to extended into Tuesday.

ballmember

They were not respectin any blue laws before they made this decision a few minutes ago.  Had games scheduled on Sunday.  I believe in Church;  should have local folks have a basketball church, like they do at many horse sales-cowboy church.  I know the state cant do this but the locals could.     We probably have too many Superintendents involved in this decision.     

CRHS4LIFE

Like I mentioned above, they were PROBABLY only going to do it if they had too. Now that they are starting two days behind, they are still playing in to next week even if they played on Sunday...the whole point of playing on Sunday to begin with was to avoid that. They don't want to still be in play-offs when they are releasing the dates/times of the Championship at the Summit.

**My opinion. Can't state that as the fact.**

Googlymoogly

With this schedule now, I think the finals should be Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

#1kirbytrojanfan

They could have kept the Sunday games and made it semis on Monday. So now parents are spending money on a motel for a day for nothing?

Googlymoogly

Quote from: #1kirbytrojanfan on March 04, 2014, 01:36:33 pm
They could have kept the Sunday games and made it semis on Monday. So now parents are spending money on a motel for a day for nothing?
That was exactly my point. I live in Harrison and the college is only 4 miles from my house so it's not a big deal to me. But for those who are traveling from a long way..... Kirby, for instance.... they will be paying a lot more money

CRHS4LIFE

Like I mentioned above, they were PROBABLY only going to do it if they had too. Now that they are starting two days behind, they are still playing in to next week even if they played on Sunday...the whole point of playing on Sunday to begin with was to avoid that. They don't want to still be in play-offs when they are releasing the dates/times of the Championship at the Summit.

**My opinion. Can't state that as the fact.**

Brian G

The coaches meeting and times for the finals will not be known until Tuesday.

Still plans for finals to begin on Thursday.

Catfish

Batman44

Quote from: CRHS4LIFE on March 04, 2014, 01:16:33 pm
I empathize with you, I would like to see it on Sunday too. The new bracket comes out within an hour, but the following was the tweet released by the AAA:

Catfish

Quote from: Batman44 on March 04, 2014, 02:07:52 pm
Quote from: CRHS4LIFE on March 04, 2014, 01:16:33 pm

So anytime I'm guessing?

Brian G

Quote from: Catfish on March 04, 2014, 02:01:50 pm
When is it suppose to be released??
When it's done.

You got see it's not as easy as picking times.

Hang tight.

Googlymoogly

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas