• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual State Tournament

Started by pantherwatch05, January 15, 2006, 06:07:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tdn (Tim)

Thursday Night Scores:

Girls:

Fordyce  59  Shongaloo  23
Homer  55   Parker's Chapel  37

Boys:

Waldo  95   Shongaloo  42
Emerson  85   Norphlet  41
Warren  66  Lafayette County  64   in OT
Homer  83   Strong 61

tdn (Tim)

Boys Bracket  entering Friday's Games

Emerson v Doyline  Friday @ 5:40 pm
Warren (already advanced to Saturday's semis)

Junction City v Waldo  Friday @7:50 pm
Eudora  v.  Homer  Friday @8:55

Girls Bracket

Strong v Waldo  Friday @ 6:45 pm
Stephens V. Junction City  Friday @ 3:30 pm

Homer (advanced to saturday's semis already)
Fordyce v. Lafayette County  Friday @ 4:35 pm

chilly gilly

Quote from: tdn (Tim) on January 26, 2006, 10:58:40 pm
Thursday Night Scores:

Girls:

Fordyce 59 Shongaloo 23
Homer 55 Parker's Chapel 37

Boys:

Waldo 95 Shongaloo 42
Emerson 85 Norphlet 41
Warren 66 Lafayette County 64 in OT
Homer 83 Strong 61
How is Homer La. boys team? How do we( EUDORA) stack up against them?

chilly gilly

Quote from: bballfan36 on January 26, 2006, 02:37:48 pm
Coach, why isn't your girls team participating in Dual State (Eudora, that is)?
B.B.36, we got to figure this conference thing out! Right now we are in third place, but could've, & shoud've been in first! Mentally, we got to learn how to win the big ones!We lost to Bearden last night for the second time! Hampton has a great team also!We had our chances at that game! So mentally, we are not ready for a dual state challenge!My girls have to want a championship for themselves! Ive seen us play games that when they decided to win it , no one was going to stop them! I cant put my finger on it, but we will start training more harder than before reguardless what the outcome will be! The show will go on! GOOD LUCK TO THE REST OF THE TEAMS IN THE TOURNEY! GO LADY BADGERS!!!!!!!!

bballfan36

Sounds like you're in a tough conference.  Good luck with the rest of the season!

chilly gilly

Quote from: bballfan36 on January 27, 2006, 11:05:15 am
Sounds like you're in a tough conference. Good luck with the rest of the season!
Thanks a bunch 36! Keep on Keepin' on!

Wilson

Does anyone know how JC did tonight?   Someone earlier said something about JC having a heck of a draw or something to that effect......but if you look at it....JC has to win 3 games in less than 24 hours to win the tourney.    Yeah......thats a great draw ::)

They would have to beat Waldo tonight.......then I think Emerson Saturday morning then whoever on Sat night.........I dont care if the three teams JC would have to play were push overs.....thats still tough.    I dont see JC winning it to be honest.....I would like to see them win it......but with Emerson , Warren, Waldo, and Eudora in the way or possibley in the way.....thats a tough road to hoe.

Sport Fan

Junction won big - did anything they wanted to do with Waldo.  Eudora pulled the 1 pointer out over Homer.  Should be some good boys games tomorrow.

Quote from: Wilson on January 27, 2006, 11:00:28 pm
Does anyone know how JC did tonight?   Someone earlier said something about JC having a heck of a draw or something to that effect......but if you look at it....JC has to win 3 games in less than 24 hours to win the tourney.    Yeah......thats a great draw ::)

They would have to beat Waldo tonight.......then I think Emerson Saturday morning then whoever on Sat night.........I dont care if the three teams JC would have to play were push overs.....thats still tough.    I dont see JC winning it to be honest.....I would like to see them win it......but with Emerson , Warren, Waldo, and Eudora in the way or possibley in the way.....thats a tough road to hoe.

tdn (Tim)

Friday scores:

Girls:
Junction City  54   Stephens  45
Strong  80   Waldo  30

Strong v Junction City @ 11:05 Saturday in the 2nd semi-final game

Fordyce  51   Lafayette County  33

Homer v Fordyce @ 10 am Saturday in the first semi-final game

Boys:

Doyline  58    Emerson  54

Doyline v. Warren @ 1:15 pm Saturday in the 2nd of the boys semi-finals

Junction City  73   Waldo  46
Eudora 57    Homer  56 (I think; I may be off by 1 point each)

Junction City v Eudora in the 1st boys' semi-final game @ 12:10 pm saturday

tdn (Tim)

I think all of the boys' games will be exciting tomorrow.  I won't be online again until the tournament is over tomorrow night but I will not be surprised by whichever boy team claims the title.

Strong should defend their Dual State Title from a year ago.  Fordyce and Homer should be a fun game to watch but I don't see the winner beating Strong.  Maybe we should make the boys' tournament winner play the Strong Girls for an overall champion  ;)

Juice-Man

I'm glad to hear that JC won.  Though I no longer live in JC, the town is still in my heart.  Junction City sports has made me proud these past couple of years.  I can go anywhere in South Arkansas and tell them I'm from JC and they'll reply with "Yea, ya'll beat the crap out of us".

footballfan

Fordyce girls won early Saturday to reach the finals. Strong was beating up on JC girls, so it should be Strong and Fordyce tonight in the finals. I was really impressed with Doyline boys last night. They beat Emerson in all aspects of the game. Talk about quick. Man, No. 5 the guard from Doyline was like a bullet most of the night. Just a side note, when Doyline came out of the lockerroom after the game they all had on blue jackets and ties. They stood out like sore thumbs, but in a very positive way. An impressive team for sure. Junction boys manhandled Waldo. Anderson had another big night but I thought the key was Hopson and New hitting some 3s early on. If they don't hit from the outside Anderson has to shoulder more and more offense. Coach Ron Crawford was there. He was on "Drive Time Sports" and interviewed Anderson for the show. Hawgs Illustrated interviewed Anderson after the game. Eudora and JC boys could be a war.

Wilson

Junction beat Eudora by 11 and will play the winner of Doyline, La and Warren tonight.   Not sure if I will be able to hear that on the radio....the broadcast seems to have gone off the air for some reason.

heathwaldrop

Who is broadcasting the game? We saw the guy sitting up there broadcasting but didn't know what radio station it was.

Also, have all of the games been broadcasted?

Finally, Anderson is every bit as good as I had expected he'd be and better. JC toyed with Eudora before taking the win. I really think that the Dragons are a legit threat to take the state title this season. Anderson has a good enough supporting cast to do that I think.

Strong's girls were interesting to watch. I was expecting a team that could shoot lights out but actually they missed a TON of shots, even point-blank layups. But they're incredibly aggressive, both offensively and defensively, and draw a lot of fouls. THey're very hard-nosed, very quick, smart with the ball and hit their free throws.

doniarebel64

93.3 is doing all the games. The gym was built in 1953 and hosted it's first Dual State in 1954.  As for the quote from Rida4Life about Junction City being classless, I not sure why that is, but whatever.
Dual State is the oldest boys and girls tournament in the nation. I know what was in the Eldo paper Monday and we informed them they were wrong. The two tournaments they mention started out crowning only boys champions.
You don't last 75 years being classless.

Wilson

January 28, 2006, 09:02:44 pm #65 Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 09:06:04 pm by Wilson
I am listening to the Doyline/Eudora consolation game and man it sounds like a barn burner...may go to a second OT.....speaking of hot temps......I bet it is a hot mo fo in there right now.......with it raining outside.....I bet the humidity is baaaaaaaad in there right now too...lol

By the time JC and Warren get done they may have some folks fall out from the heat in there.......

wow Eudora just hit a 3 at the buzzer to win in OT.......you just cant beat this tourney.   Some of the best ball of the year is played down here on the Ark/La line.

doniarebel64

Junction City 26
Warren  23      Halftime

doniarebel64

Junction City   41
Warren     35         Start of 4th quarter

Wilson

sound like they are gonna press JC from here on out.

heathwaldrop

Wish the radio commentators were better.

heathwaldrop

Awful, awful, awful radio commentators. No idea what happened at the end of the game because the "color man" (I use that term loosely) goes "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" after Anderson turned the ball over with just seconds to go and Warren took it to the other end.

doniarebel64

Sounds wild right now. Radio guys saying three seconds left.  They put 1 second on the clock. Interesting

doniarebel64

Warren  54
Junction City 52  Final
Congrats Lumberjacks

heathwaldrop

January 28, 2006, 10:29:06 pm #73 Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 10:49:19 pm by heathwaldrop
Wow, Warren pulls it off. Got to give the 'Jacks credit for winning in such a hostile environment. JC didn't get enough scoring output out of its players other than Anderson, but still probably should have won it but for the turnover on the inbounds pass.

tdn (Tim)

Here is a score wrap-up:

Girls:
Fordyce  61  Homer  51
Strong 61   JC  30
Homer  89   JC  60   For 3rd and 4th place
Strong  65   Fordyce  45    Çhampionship

Boys:

JC   68   Eudora  57
Warren 72  Doyline  65
Eudora  72  Doyline 70 in OT.  Eudora hit a 3 at the buzzer to win 3rd place.
Warren  54  JC  52.  Championship

Warren stole an inbounds pass and hit the winning bucket with about 2 seconds left.  Fouled on the shot.  The Time keeper did not stop the clock.  After much delay, 1 second was placed on the clock and Warren made the freethrow to go up 2.  Last second effort failed and Warren escaped with the 1 point victory and repeated as Dual State Boys' Champions.

Juice-Man

Aww, that sux.  That would've been the first time in I think ever that JC would've won dual state.

amehr36

Theyve won like 5 or 6 times..just not in a LONG time...im still mad...was a good game though.

heathwaldrop

Eight times, more than any other team in the history of the tournament. Just hasn't happened since 1992, when I was a junior.

That was back when Jerome Godfrey and Dennis Malone were players, I do believe.

Favorite memory of Dual State was that next year when we trailed the whole championship game, often by double digits. We were down by 10 with a minute and a half to go. Godfrey gets it on our end and nails a three. We get a steal, Godfrey takes it and hits one from NBA range. Now we're down by four with about 30 seconds left. Get the ball back fairly quickly, the other team is aware of Godfrey by that point and comes way out on the floor to double-team him. He shoots a 28 footer over the two defenders, we call timeout and are down by one.

It was at that point that the cute girl beside me throws her arms around me and we're celebrating in the bleachers.

We still could have won it after we got the ball back again under the other goal with about eight seconds left, but a desperation shot in the lane didn't fall.

Great night though.

amehr36

I know ill remember this game for a while...Congrats Warren.  The game before was a dandy too...Eudora apparently lost as they missed a 3 as time expired in OT, but apparently their coach had called a time out with 2.7 seconds to go.  On the inbounds a guy jacks up a 3 from the corner and it goes in at the buzzer. 

Wilson

Does anyone know how many of the 52 that JC scroed were Anderson's?   It sounded like he scored 40 of them.... ;)

And I too remember Chump going off in the last 10 seconds against Stephens Heath.....it seemed like every time he got the ball and shot it.....it was from further out than the shot before.....the whole crowed would go.......whoooooooooooo.......oooooooooppppp......as the thing went in.......would almost scrape the ceiling as it arced to the hoop.    That was as loud as I have ever heard that gym........that was one heck of a game man.

tdn (Tim)

James had 29 Points in the final game

heathwaldrop

QuoteAnd I too remember Chump going off in the last 10 seconds against Stephens Heath.....it seemed like every time he got the ball and shot it.....it was from further out than the shot before.....the whole crowed would go.......whoooooooooooo.......oooooooooppppp......as the thing went in.......would almost scrape the ceiling as it arced to the hoop. That was as loud as I have ever heard that gym........that was one heck of a game man.

That was the greatest come-from-behind victory that ALMOST was.

Juice-Man

My favorite memory was when Eric Cowser did a tomahawk dunk.  I forgot who they were playing.  Cowser was a little guy and never said much but he made up for his lack of speech with vertical leap.

footballfan

I'll tell on one of our Fearless Friday regulars. Keo Noble had come off a great football season then joined the basketball team. Keo was (don't get mad if my numbers are off!) about 6-foot and 205 or so. During Dual State he made a steal at halfcourt, went in and made a monster dunk. The place went absolutely wild. About 10 seconds later he made another steal at halfcourt, again went in for the dunk, but this time his fatigue got the best of him and he didn't quite pull off the slam. Great athlete and great effort, however.

Juice-Man

LOL!!!  I couldn't see Keo's big ol' sweaty butt dunking anything but oreos into milk.  ;)

You know I'm messing with ya pimpin.  Please don't beat my head in.  ;D

jay2000

best memory of dual st.

freshman gerrod henderson (louisiana tech) of haynesville had not played all year due to grades. in his first game, 0-13 haynesville beat #1 seed norphlet. gerrod had 50 points, hitting 3s from all over the court and very deep. the rest of the tournament was packed with people wanting to see him play.

heathwaldrop

Wilson

I figure that was somewhere around 94-96.....in that area.....Henderson went on to play 4 years at La Tech.....that was after sitting a year for grades.....and I think he graduated somewhere along 99 or 2000 from Tech.    That kid was instant offense.......just add a basketball and a couple of goals .     Not much for defense other than trying to block every shot he saw.     Henderson was a pure "scorer"......not sure if I ever saw him pass the ball....lol........was a lot of outlet passes to him and then that was it till he shot....

Anderson is on par with Henderson as a scorer........but he is a better defender and assist man.    Trys to keep his teamates involved so they cant just play those gadget defenses on him all the time.    Henderson signed with Iowa State originaly along with Marcus Fizer out of Arcadia, La.......this was back when Tim Floyd was still the coach at Iowa St.......   Henderson garnerd alot of attention nationaly till they realized his grades were gonna keep him back for a year or so.   Tech was more than happy to sign him and wait for his grades to get better.

footballfan

Henderson actually played at Iowa State for at least a year before transferring to Louisiana Tech. I remember during Dual State that he launched 3's from anywhere inside the halfcourt line. And I mean anywhere. At the end of the first half in one game he made one from in front of the scorer's table. Everyone in the gym knew he would take the last shot and still nobody could do anything with him. Henderson would definately be on the "All-Time Dual State Team" in my book.

Wilson

February 12, 2006, 02:34:45 pm #89 Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 06:34:52 am by Wilson
Oh my dear scribe I beg to differ ;)

http://www.latechsports.com/basketball-alltimescores.php

Look at the last 3 years that are on that list and then when done checking them...go up and click on the 01-02 link........(I had my years off that he was at Tech).....

here are his years and averages at Tech

98/99  9.4   ppg
99/00  18.4 ppg
00/01  18.4 ppg
01/02  17.3 ppg

He may have gone up there.....but I was living in Monroe at the time and I could swear that when he didnt have his grades Floyd pulled his schollie and Tech took him as a prop 48.   His first year he played he was a Soph.....but after his Sr season he got another year of eligibility back cause he graduated in 4 years.   That actually would have been impossible seeing as he would have had to sit out his first year at Tech once coming from Iowa St.....and you cant have a redshirt year if you don't have the grades.   Which in essence would have had him sitting out till his JR year if he had transfered from one D1 school to another.   Most big schools back did not waste a schollie on a prop 48 since it would burn one of their allotted schollies......schools like Tech and ULM can take that chance cause the rewards down the road of having a player they should not be able to get, outweigh not having a full allotment of schollies for one year.

But yes...he should definately be on the all time Dual state team......I figure it would be a 6 man team....you need someone coming off the bench...........hmmm...that gets me to thinking......

Karl Malone Summerfield  (La Tech, Utah Jazz, La Lakers)
Benny Anders Bernice  (Houston Phi Slamma Jamma)
Gerald Honeycutt Grambling Lab (Tulane, Milwaukee Bucks)
Bobby Joe Dougles Marion (Averaged 50+ points a game his Sr season)  (NLU blew out his knee)
Gerard Henderson Haynesville (La Tech)
Teddy Gipson Farmerville (Arkansas)
Antonio Meeking  Farmerville (La Tech)
Cornelius Frazier  JC (La Tech)
Dennis Malone JC (SW Texas St)

I hear tell of a guy named Glen Salters from Lisbon that won a Olympic gold medal  but he was before my time....

heathwaldrop

Didn't Jonathan Modica (Smackover) also play in Dual State? Also Antario Glover (Stephens) probably was the single most dominant player in the tournament during the stretch that he played in it, which was the late '90s through the early zeroes.

And I'd have to put James Anderson on that list as well.

Wilson

I didnt personaly see Glover play....so that is why I didnt include him.......Modica while a prolific scorer and can score with anyone on this list.....to me...he just didnt play defense.   Every time I saw him play his defense was passive at best and always looked to be leaning or even cheating twords his goal when the other team would shoot....looking for a long down court pass for a easy layup or dunk.    The others I listed either won a Dual State title or just showed a "overall" game.  Offense, defense, rebounding.....that sorta thing.     Like I said I like pookie and think he was one heck of a player......just my opinion and everyone's got one.     

I didnt put Anderson on the list because he is not done yet......kinda like putting Brett Favre in the football hall of fame and he is still playing......I feel sure he would be on my all time team once he is done.

Dragon#40

Quote from: footballfan on February 06, 2006, 03:56:03 pm
I'll tell on one of our Fearless Friday regulars. Keo Noble had come off a great football season then joined the basketball team. Keo was (don't get mad if my numbers are off!) about 6-foot and 205 or so. During Dual State he made a steal at halfcourt, went in and made a monster dunk. The place went absolutely wild. About 10 seconds later he made another steal at halfcourt, again went in for the dunk, but this time his fatigue got the best of him and he didn't quite pull off the slam. Great athlete and great effort, however.

You didn't have to tell about the miss footballfan. Chamillionaire , getting up to the rim was easy, it was making the dunk that was the hard part. I always wanted to make sure that everyone knew it was a real dunk and not a drop the ball in and pull on the rim thing.LOL

On that All Dual State Team, there was a guy from Bernice named Larry Nelson that was better than some on the list, also Campti had a few players that could have been on there, they only scored over 100 pts. just about every time they came.

Juice-Man

Some more Dual State greats would be Willis Reed and Joe Simpson (Bernice).

Wilson

Yeah.......Willis was pretty good ;)

But like I said I was pretty much talking about players I saw play......and Keo....Nelson was good.....but I pretty much talked about players who were on teams that won the tourney and that certain player showed out during their run to the championship.......or they went on to have great individual accomplishments after high school.   Nelson didn't do anything beyond high school as for as I know.   The kids from Campti were pretty good .......but I think they just had great teams.........cause as far as I know none of them did anything beyond high school either.   The Bobby Joe Douglas guy.....if any of you had seen him you would say he was the best "high school" basketball player you had ever seen.    This kid averaged over 50 points a game as a Sr in high school..........50 Freaking Points a Game!!!    I still have a hard time comprehending that.    I remember watching a game at Dual State where they were playing Mt Holly or one of the local teams and it seemed like every time down the court it was one pass to Bobby.....one shot and it was in.   He didn't seem to ever miss.......Of course I was like 9 or 10 years old and things sometimes seem like that to a kid.     That was back when I lived 40 yards from the south entrance of the gym and if there was 60 games played there during the week I probably saw 55 of them.   Man I loved those days.   When the tourney would start at 1 in the afternoon and there were 25+ boys teams and 25+ girls teams in the tourney.    If you won the tourney back then you really didn't win it........you survived it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas