• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual State Tournament

Started by pantherwatch05, January 15, 2006, 06:07:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pantherwatch05

Does anyone have game schedules yet?

shane22

DUAL STATE - 2006
I         
MONDAY            
      Time   BIG   Teams
1      4:00   G   Waldo vs Summerfield
2      5:05   B   Stephens vs Summerfield
3      6:10   G   Homer vs Emerson
4      7:15   B   Minden vs LaFayette Co.
5      8:20   G   Strong vs Taylor
TUESDAY                        
6      6:00   G   Parkers Chapel vs Warren
7      7:10   B   Warren vs Parkers Chapel
WEDNESDAY         
8      3:30   G   Stephens vs Doyline
9      4:35   G   LaFayette Co. vs Norphlet
10      5:40   B   Eudora vs Fordyce
] 1      6:45   G   Junction City vs Spearsville
12      7:50   B   Junction City vs Spearsville
13      8:55   B   Doyline vs Winner #2
Thursday            
14      3:30   G   Fordyce vs Shongaloo
15      4:35   B   Waldo vs Shor:galoo
l6      5:40   G   Winner #3 vs Winner #6
17      6:45   B   Emerser: vs Nelphlel
l8      7:50   8   Winner #7 vs Winner #4
19      8:55   B   Strong vs Homer
FRIDAY            
20      3:30   G   Winner #8 vs Winner #11
21      4:35   G   Winner #14 vs Winner #9
22      5:40   B   Winner #17 vs Winner #13
23      6:45   G   Winner #5 vs Winner #1
24      7:50   B   Winner #12 vs Winner #15
25      8:55   B   Winner #10 vs Winner #19
Saturday MORNING      
26      10:00   G   Winner #16 vs Winner #21
27      11:05   G   Winner #23 vs Winner #20
.:..             
28      12:10   B   Winner #24 vs Winner #25
29      1 :15   B   Winner #22 vs Winner #18
Saturday         
~o      5:00   G   Loser #27 vs Loser #26
31      6:10   G   Wlnner#27 vs \Vinner #26
32      7:15   B   Loser #29 vs Loser #28
33      8:20   B   Winner #29 vs Winner #28

pantherwatch05

Thanks for posting the game schedule.  I am looking forward to catching some of the games. JC always puts on a great tournament and usually has some memorable games. Just wish they had a larger gym with better seating. It feels like I'm in a barn sitting on a haystack. No offense. I'm sure that's what makes for the great atmosphere. :)
Does anyone know of any future plans for a new gym?
I hope someone will be posting game results.

tdn (Tim)

January 16, 2006, 05:34:08 pm #3 Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:29:21 pm by tdn (Tim)
No immediate plans for a New Gym.  Voters didn't pass the millage last time it was on the ballot to fund a new one so who knows when there will be a new one.  The Gym actually has one of the larger seating capacities in the area but it was built back in the 20's or 30's I think.  It will definitely be hot no matter what the outside temps and since the construction of the new Jr. High, parking will be difficult like last year.  Just hope the rain is gone by next week.

Here are links to scanned brackets from the ElDorado News-Times

Boys Bracket

Girls Bracket

chilly gilly

Best 1st round matchup-------- Eudora vs. Fordyce! An old 8AAA rivalry!

CoachBates

Anyone know when the coaches might be getting their brackets?

heathwaldrop

January 17, 2006, 10:00:03 am #6 Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:04:41 am by heathwaldrop
Quote from: tdn (Tim) on January 16, 2006, 05:34:08 pm
The Gym actually has one of the larger seating capacities in the area but it was built back in the 20's or 30's I think.

As I recall it was built in the early '60s. When I was in school everybody still was calling it the "New Gym," as opposed to the Old Gym, which had been built in the early '20s and was attached to the junior-high building. We used it as a kind of cafeteria. It was the dump to end all dumps. I haven't been to the alma mater in a couple or three years but the last time that I was there, it was still in tact and being used.

I always hated the JC gym, too. Those teams that aren't used to playing there probably hate it even more. There isn't even room for an inbounds pass along the edges, and when things get rocking during Dual State the players are always tripping over the feet of spectators. I'll never forget seeing official timeouts called because some brat had cut across one corner of the floor, dropping Frito chili pie the entire way. Clean-up crew!

It does have a deceptively-large capacity, but a lot of it is bad seating because of those big metal support poles that always seem to be in the way. The extreme corners are so far away from the playing surface and at such an awkward angle that you can't see much if you sit there, either.

What I suggested years ago was that they knock out that bottom row. That would do wonders. Right now the players have to sit there and fight for a position with fans on their own benches.

Yes, the arrangement does add to the atmosphere of the tournament, but a good facility would be more likely to bring in better teams. Another thing would be moving the date of the tournament. Many teams simply can't play in Dual State because they're already in the thick of conference play by mid January.

I realize that neither of these things ever will happen, but it's interesting to consider.

chilly gilly

Quote from: CoachBates on January 17, 2006, 09:32:08 am
Anyone know when the coaches might be getting their brackets?
We got ours last week coach! GO EUDORA!

pantherwatch05

Quote from: heathwaldrop on January 17, 2006, 10:00:03 am

I always hated the JC gym, too. Those teams that aren't used to playing there probably hate it even more. There isn't even room for an inbounds pass along the edges, and when things get rocking during Dual State the players are always tripping over the feet of spectators. I'll never forget seeing official timeouts called because some brat had cut across one corner of the floor, dropping Frito chili pie the entire way. Clean-up crew!

It does have a deceptively-large capacity, but a lot of it is bad seating because of those big metal support poles that always seem to be in the way. The extreme corners are so far away from the playing surface and at such an awkward angle that you can't see much if you sit there, either.

Man, you nailed it on that!  Ah, the memories. I can hardly wait.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: pantherwatch06 on January 17, 2006, 11:52:41 am
Man, you nailed it on that! Ah, the memories. I can hardly wait.

Just calling it the way it is.

But, all of that said, some of my best memories of high school are from that gym and that tournament. It's the oldest tourney in Arkansas as well as the most elite.

Rida4Life

I wouldn't call it the most elite.....I'd call it more like the JC classic where it really doesn't matter how good everyone else is JC will get the best draw in the tournament......more class from a bunch of classless people.

tdn (Tim)

I stand corrected on when the gym was built ... wonder why they used those blasted metal poles in the 60's -- that is why I thought it was older.... that and mixing the gae of the tournament.

Dual State is celebrating it's 75th anniversary this year.

As for the gym, I have been to games at many schools and most small schools have the same issues as JC with "no room" around the floor.  Some have their lowest seats elevated so the players have a wall running beside the court but most have virtually no room between the floor and the stands and most have much less seating capacity.  I'd love to see JC have a new gym as would the faculty.  Let's face it, it is hard to have shooting practice with just 2 goals available and 15 or 16 players trying to shoot.  Maybe someone can donate a few million to build a gym at JC similar to Magnolias :)

As for brackets, I got mine last week at PC.  They had them available at the Junior County Tournament finals but didn't have enough supply for the demand.

As for JC getting an easy draw every year, I doubt it.  Every year it seems the quarterfinals, semi-finals and finals are all very close games which indicates the seeding is doing its job.  When was the last time JC made it to the finals?  It's been a while I think.

tdn (Tim)

Quote from: chilly gilly on January 17, 2006, 09:00:48 am
Best 1st round matchup-------- Eudora vs. Fordyce! An old 8AAA rivalry!

Both teams were really good last year.  Anyone know how they are doing this year?  Didn't Eudora have a tall athletic player last year or am I thinking of one of the other teams?  If I recall, they had a player that was ejected for 2 technicals so he was ineligible the next game.  Is he back?  If so, Eudora should be very good

heathwaldrop

Quote from: Rida4Life on January 18, 2006, 08:39:47 am
I wouldn't call it the most elite.....

Then what would you call the most elite? When the King Cotton Classic died, the Dual State Tournament got that moniker by default.

I'd call it more like the JC classic where it really doesn't matter how good everyone else is JC will get the best draw in the tournament......

News flash: It's Junction City's tournament. Try to name another tournament in which the host gets a bad draw. Doesn't happen in any sport, anywhere.

If you're good, you should perform well regardless of the draw. Complaining about the draw basically is and admission that your team really isn't that good.

heathwaldrop

Quote from: tdn (Tim) on January 18, 2006, 12:05:07 pm
Both teams were really good last year. Anyone know how they are doing this year?

Eudora must be doing pretty well. I saw somewhere where the ADG had Eudora ranked second, and that just blew my mind. I saw the Badgers play once this year and didn't know that they were supposed to be so good. Hamburg handled them fairly easily during a holiday tournament. Not a blowout or anything, but never trailed in the game either.

As for the tall kid, I think you must be thinking about another team because nobody for Eudora was over maybe 6-3.

I haven't seen Fordyce this year but I've heard that the Redbugs aren't nearly as good as typical Fordyce teams have been in the past.

redbug30

fordyce is better than last year and will beat eudora

heathwaldrop

Quote from: jackson30 on January 19, 2006, 11:53:35 am
fordyce is better than last year and will beat eudora

Not from what I've heard and don't hold your breath.

Juice-Man

Somebody told me that ESPN was gonna be there Saturday.  Don't know though.

footballfan

" I wouldn't call it the most elite.....I'd call it more like the JC classic where it really doesn't matter how good everyone else is JC will get the best draw in the tournament......more class from a bunch of classless people."

Yeah, that's why they aren't seeded No. 1 or No. 2. Get over yourself.

tdn (Tim)

Quote from: Chamillionaire on January 20, 2006, 07:23:56 pm
Somebody told me that ESPN was gonna be there Saturday.  Don't know though.

Well Channel 3 out of Shreveport will be there some.  First I heard of your rumor though.

First game at 4 pm tomorrow.  Looks like some good games this week.  Strong girls have to be favored in the girls bracket but I haven't a clue who should be favored in the boy's

Wilson

in the boys I think any or 5 or 6 teams can get on a roll and win it.   The boys bracket is tough....where as it might be a forgone conclusion that Strong will win the girls....who knows who will win the boys.   Should be a good week of ball.

tdn (Tim)

Wilson   You and I agree.  Interesting article in today's News-Times about some of the teams.  There are always teams that surprise (better or worse) and the boys games Friday and Saturday are usually tight games that either team could win.

Any idea who the Homer's Ladies Coach is (ie her maiden name?)  I figure she is someone I should know being from Emerson. 

Rida4Life

JC won't play a decent team until the semifinals....... ;D  Not that they need a cushy draw like that....Anderson could just about win the tournament by himself....

tdn (Tim)

Rida4Life   Never seen a tournament set up for the best teams to play each other the first round.  Normal formatting is that the best team is pair against the supposedly worse team, the second best team is paired against the supposedly second worse team, and so forth with the idea that by the semi-finals you have the 4 best teams playing.  A Tournament like Dual State is a little more difficult since you try to avoid teams from the same conference playing early and the fact that it is difficult sometimes to know which team is better unless there has been head to head competition.  And the seeding is done at least a week (sometimes earlier) before the tournament.  A team may be "hot" all of sudden or "cold" but it is too late to alter the brackets.  Should Eudora be seeded above JC?  Above Warren?  Above Emerson?

As it is, the best 4 teams should face each other in the semi's on Friday and trhat is the goal of any bracket for any tournament except a classic where the draws are predetermined.

As it is

heathwaldrop

Has it been confirmed yet that Eudora will compete?

tdn (Tim)

January 23, 2006, 09:57:11 pm #25 Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:19:48 am by tdn (Tim)
Monday's Scores:

Waldo  27   Summerfield  26   Girls' Game 1
Summerfield 65   Stephens 58   Boys' game 1
Homer  63   Emerson  43   Girls' Game 2
Lafayette County 76   Minden 72   in OT  Boys' game 2
Strong 57   Taylor 21  after Strong built a Strong 43 - 5 halftime lead in the Girls' final game of the night. 

Lord Infamous™

Quote from: heathwaldrop on January 17, 2006, 10:00:03 am
Quote from: tdn (Tim) on January 16, 2006, 05:34:08 pm
The Gym actually has one of the larger seating capacities in the area but it was built back in the 20's or 30's I think.

As I recall it was built in the early '60s. When I was in school everybody still was calling it the "New Gym," as opposed to the Old Gym, which had been built in the early '20s and was attached to the junior-high building. We used it as a kind of cafeteria. It was the dump to end all dumps. I haven't been to the alma mater in a couple or three years but the last time that I was there, it was still in tact and being used.

What I suggested years ago was that they knock out that bottom row. That would do wonders. Right now the players have to sit there and fight for a position with fans on their own benches.

Yes, the arrangement does add to the atmosphere of the tournament, but a good facility would be more likely to bring in better teams. Another thing would be moving the date of the tournament. Many teams simply can't play in Dual State because they're already in the thick of conference play by mid January.

I realize that neither of these things ever will happen, but it's interesting to consider.
I graduated in 2003 and everybody called it the New Gym.

orion

The Strong girls final score was 57-21. They led 43-5 at the half. The starters, obviously, didn't touch the floor in the second half.

tdn (Tim)

Orion   I had updated my previous post before seeing yours.  I left as the 2nd Q began

Tonight's games:
PC v. Warren at 6 (G) and
PC v. Warren at 7:10 (B)

and that is it.  2 games only tonight at Dual State

heathwaldrop

Quote from: Lord Infamous™ on January 23, 2006, 10:35:24 pm

They've been calling it that for a really long time.

I graduated 10 years before you did. What I'd like to know is how many coats of paint are in the Old Gym, if there still is an old gym at all.

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

Hey, I was just wondering--who all is planning on being there tonite? I'm putting some serious thought into driving up there from Ruston to watch the boys play.  Any Warren folk or Fearless folk planning on attending? 

Also, what is Warren's record for the year?  I haven't been able to keep up with them as well this year as the past.  I know they've got 4 or 5 losses, but didn't think they had more than that.  Any answers would be appreciated.

Also, Warren will be looking to defend their Dual State Tournament Title. 

heathwaldrop

Kyle, hold off until this weekend and me and Eddie likely will be there (Saturday afternoon). I'm assuming that Warren's boys still will be playing by then.

chilly gilly

Quote from: heathwaldrop on January 23, 2006, 03:29:44 pm
Has it been confirmed yet that Eudora will compete?
NO DIGGITY NO DOUBT EUDORA WILL BE THERE!!!!!!    5:30 VS. THE DYCE!!!!!

tdn (Tim)

Tuesday's Scores:

Parker's Chapel  46    Warren  18   Girls

Warren 52   Parker's Chapel  39   Boys.

PC Girls advance to play Homer on Thursday

Warren advances to play LaFayette County also on Thursday

pantherwatch05

Is Warren boys coach the former coach at Strong?

heathwaldrop

Quote from: pantherwatch06 on January 24, 2006, 09:42:45 pm
Is Warren boys coach the former coach at Strong?

Yep, also the father of Warren's best player, A.J. Avery.

redbug30

fordyce will be at dual state saturday

Lord Infamous™

Quote from: heathwaldrop on January 24, 2006, 11:13:21 am
Quote from: Lord Infamous™ on January 23, 2006, 10:35:24 pm

They've been calling it that for a really long time.

I graduated 10 years before you did. What I'd like to know is how many coats of paint are in the Old Gym, if there still is an old gym at all.
They just built a new Jr. high building and gym type thing to use for breaks and lunch if its real cold or raining, I beleive they are planning on tearing down the old jr. high building and gym to make the new parking lot because they built all the new stuff on the old parking lot

topknotch11

tdn (Tim)

Wedbesday Game Scores:

Girls:

Stephens 50    Doyline 19
Lafayette County  43   Norphlet  37
Junction City 73   Spearsville  37

Boys:
Eudora  58   Fordyce  44
Junction City  74   Spearsville  62
Doyline  57   Summerville  40

topknotch11

tdn (Tim)

Quarter-final Brackets:

Boys:

Emerson or Norphlet (Play Thursday)  Vs.  Doyline    Friday @  5:40 pm
Warren  Vs.  Lafayette County   Thursday @ 7:50 pm

Junction City Vs. Waldo or Shongaloo (play Thursday)   Friday @ 7:50 pm
Eudora Vs.  Strong or Homer (play Thursday)   Friday @ 8:55 pm

Girls

Strong vs. Waldo    Friday @ 6:45 pm
Stephens vs. Junction City   Friday @ 3:30 pm

Homer Vs. Parker's Chapel   Thursday @ 5:40 pm
Fordyce or Shongaloo (play Thursday) Vs. Lafayette County   Friday @ 4:35 pm

topknotch11

Is strong pretty good this year?

topknotch11

I know my boy #25 David Green had a big game who else had a good gamr for Eudora. Fordyce was said to have some highflyers, who had the most dunks between the teams?

heathwaldrop

As I said in another post, this is a down year for Fordyce from all that I've heard.

chilly gilly

Quote from: topknotch11 on January 26, 2006, 12:27:10 am
E-Town in tha BUILDING.

YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!! STILL TRYING TO IMPROVE THOUGH!!!!!!

chilly gilly

Quote from: topknotch11 on January 26, 2006, 12:36:23 am
I know my boy #25 David Green had a big game who else had a good gamr for Eudora. Fordyce was said to have some highflyers, who had the most dunks between the teams?
NO DUNKS DAWG! JUST GOOD FUNDAMENTAL BASKETBALL, & A HELLUVA 2-3 ZONE THAT FORCED THE DYCE TO TAKE THE OUTSIDE SHOTS. THEY DIDNT MAKE THEM , & WE CAPITALIZED OFF OF IT! THE GUYS LISTENED VERY WELL, AND EXECUTED THE OFFENSE REAL GOOD! OUR PRESS OFFENSE WAS DEVASTATING! WE SCORED EVERYTIME THEY PRESSED! GOOD JOB BADGERS! KEEP IMPROVING!

bballfan36

No offense, but when you post, could you please take your cap locks off?  It would be much easier to read - thanks!   ;D

chilly gilly

Quote from: bballfan36 on January 26, 2006, 11:34:28 am
No offense, but when you post, could you please take your cap locks off? It would be much easier to read - thanks! ;D
NO PROBLEM 36! HAVE A GREAT DAY!

bballfan36

Coach, why isn't your girls team participating in Dual State (Eudora, that is)?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas