• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congratulations 7A Boys State Champions Bentonville Tigers! Def Har-ber 3-0

Started by sevenof400, May 18, 2014, 09:22:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

Game facts: Saturday, May 24, 12:00 noon
at Fayetteville, University of Arkansas Razorback Field
schedule subject to possible change

Discussion, observation, speculation!

dispossessed

These two faced off less than a week ago with BHS getting the 1-0 win, scoring with less than 6 minutes remaining. After seeing them both several times this season, my observations are:

1. BHS seems to be better organized with a stronger back line.
2. Both are dangerous on the counter attack, with BHS having the edge on the build up to attack. Better MF play.
3. BHS is better in the air.
4. Both coaches have a lot to say.
5. BHS should be a heavy favorite.

I would expect a BHS victory primarily based on their superior defensive play...but HB has a number of weapons and all it takes is one mistake to gain the advantage. Should be an entertaining match.

sevenof400

Har-ber seems to be playing their best soccer of the season.  How many times have we seen a team get on a roll late in the year and make a long run in the tournament?

I have not seen either team play this year so I am just basing this on observations from afar but a run of good play can carry a team a long way.   

Go Postal

Looking over my records from 1998 through 2013...

This is the first time that Har-Ber boys have made it to the Championship game.  They have a chance to get their first State Champs or State Runner-up.  Congratulations on your hard work.

Bentonville boys have 1 State Championships and 1 State Runner-up.

Some Interesting tidbits...
I also noticed that Bentonville girls made it to the Finals game also.
The current Top 5 overall Championship record is as follows:
10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
9 Harrison (6B / 3G)
9 Pulaski Academy (3B / 6G)
6 Bentonville (1B / 5G)
6 Central Arkansas Christian (1B / 5G)

PA girl and Harrison girls are playing against each other in their finals.  Bentonville boys and girls are playing in their finals.  Not sure at this point if CAC girls will make it to the 4A finals yet, due to the semi game will be played tomorrow against a good Valley View team.  But for pronostication,  let's say they do...

1.  If Bentonville boys/girls win, then they will have 8 championships.  Knocking on the back door of Harrison or PA for overall State Champs with 8 wins.
2.  If one of the Bentonville boys/girls teams lose and have 7 championships and possibly still be tied with CAC.
3.  If both of Bentonville boys/girls lose and keep 6 championships, then it depends on what CAC girls do in the finals.

This is IF CAC girls win in the semis.  That is still pending at this point.  If they lose in the semis, then forget about what I said in #2 about CAC, but a Bentonville win will move them up and also in #3, they will still be tied with CAC.

Good Luck to Har-Ber and Bentonville in the Finals!

chaoslord

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 18, 2014, 11:45:50 am
Har-ber seems to be playing their best soccer of the season.  How many times have we seen a team get on a roll late in the year and make a long run in the tournament?

I have not seen either team play this year so I am just basing this on observations from afar but a run of good play can carry a team a long way.

I think this is it exactly. I work primarily the 7A West schools and Bentonville was, imo, the best of them. Har-ber was extremely inconsistent, turning out good performances one week and then not playing up to the same level the next week. However, look at who they have gone through to get here. They are definitely hitting a purple patch (see also, Sunderland at the end of this Premier League season). And in a one-of, winner-takes-all game, it's really hard to go against the team with all the momentum.

That said, they also now have a week off to think about things. Might have been better for Har-Ber to play today, ha.

dispossessed

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 18, 2014, 11:45:50 am

Agreed to a point. Har-Ber stumbled badly down the stretch losing 3 of their last 4 to 7A West foes, including 5-0 to Rogers and 4-2 to Springdale. Also, their path to the semis was comparatively easy playing Cabot and Bryant. The win against Fort Smith NS was definitely impressive, however.

Are they on a roll? Well yes, but against lesser competition that what they will see against BHS. Any team is beatable, but BHS has been very consistent, particularly defensively. Could HB get the win against BHS? Absolutely. They are a talented side, but if I were laying odds...

mightymustangs1

Quote from: Go Postal on May 18, 2014, 04:44:19 pm

This is the first time that Har-Ber boys have made it to the Championship game.  They have a chance to get their first State Champs or State Runner-up.  Congratulations on your hard work.

10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
9 Harrison (6B / 3G)
6 Bentonville (1B / 5G)

PA girl and Harrison girls are playing against each other in their finals.  Bentonville boys and girls are playing in their finals.  Not sure at this point if CAC girls will make it to the 4A finals yet, due to the semi game will be played tomorrow against a good Valley View team.  But for pronostication,  let's say they do...

1.  If Bentonville boys/girls win, then they will have 8 championships.  Knocking on the back door of Harrison or PA for overall State Champs with 8 wins.
2.  If one of the Bentonville boys/girls teams lose and have 7 championships and possibly still be tied with CAC.
3.  If both of Bentonville boys/girls lose and keep 6 championships, then it depends on what CAC girls do in the finals.

This is IF CAC girls win in the semis.  That is still pending at this point.  If they lose in the semis, then forget about what I said in #2 about CAC, but a Bentonville win will move them up and also in #3, they will still be tied with CAC.

CAC boys are in the semis also.

Hornet-Hawg

Quote from: dispossessed on May 18, 2014, 05:50:41 pm

Agreed to a point. Har-Ber stumbled badly down the stretch losing 3 of their last 4 to 7A West foes, including 5-0 to Rogers and 4-2 to Springdale. Also, their path to the semis was comparatively easy playing Cabot and Bryant. The win against Fort Smith NS was definitely impressive, however.

Are they on a roll? Well yes, but against lesser competition that what they will see against BHS. Any team is beatable, but BHS has been very consistent, particularly defensively. Could HB get the win against BHS? Absolutely. They are a talented side, but if I were laying odds...

Their path to the semis was comparatively easy?  Round 1:  Har-Ber beats Cabot while Bentonville gets a bye.  I would have to say that degree of difficulty goes to Har-Ber.  Round 2:  Har-Ber beats Bryant while Bentonville beats Rogers.  Since Bryant beat Rogers this season, I think I would also give round 2 to Har-Ber.  They followed that up by beating the defending state champs.  I agree that Bentonville will be tough to beat but don't try and sell Har-Ber short.

dispossessed

Please re-read my post. As stated, Har-Ber is a good side and I have seen both sides play several times this season. BHS earned their bye by going undefeated in the 7A West which is exponentially more difficult than winning 3 games in the 7A Tournament. Har-Ber got rocked in the last half of conference play, and their play has been inconsistent, where BHS has not.

Selling Har-Ber short? Hardly. But considering all things, the odds would favor BHS. That said, odds don't win matches and it all comes down to the final. May the best team on that given day, win.

Hornet-Hawg

May 19, 2014, 08:39:52 am #9 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:42:02 am by Hornet-Hawg
I did read the post and what you said was "their path to the semis was comparatively easy playing Cabot and Bryant."  I thought you were only referring to the playoffs.  Certainly going undefeated in the 7A West is tougher than winning 3 games in the tournament (or winning games in the South, East, or Central).  I know our starters were only used to averaging about 40 or 50 minutes a game before hitting the mercy rule in conference.  We were sucking wind when we got close to the 100th minute against Har-Ber!  I would have put money on Northside in the semi-final but Har-Ber pulled it out.  Like you say, odds don't win matches.  I just hope it is a good game to watch.  I plan to be there!

dispossessed

Yes, you and me both would have been a few dollars poorer. The Northside match was a big surprise, but Har-Ber found a way and that's great. Doesn't look like I will make the final. Should be two sides going 110%. Enjoy!

Go Postal

I just found out that 4A Valley View girls beat CAC in the semis.  Bentonville boys/girls have a great opportunity to move up in the overall Championship standings.

Go Postal

Quote from: Go Postal on May 18, 2014, 04:44:19 pm

10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
9 Harrison (6B / 3G)
6 Bentonville (1B / 5G)

PA girla and Harrison girls are playing against each other in their finals.  Bentonville boys and girls are playing in their finals.  Not sure at this point if CAC girls will make it to the 4A finals yet, due to the semi game will be played tomorrow against a good Valley View team.  But for pronostication,  let's say they do...

Shoot, I just saw that CAC boys are going into the 4A Finals.  Replace CAC boys with CAC girls.  Good Luck to Bentonville boys/girls to up their overall State standings!

catinthehat

I Work with an HBHS soccer parent - went to see them play a little this year. Awesome goalie. And they seem hungry for the title. Came so close last year. I think this is their year. It's amazing how desire can manifest itself in any sport! We'll see, but pulling for Har-Ber.

VHSCoach2

May 24, 2014, 12:46:50 pm #14 Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:47:03 pm by VHSCoach2
Final: Bentonville 3(41', 60', 78'), Har-Ber 0.

Note: the goal at 41' was an own-goal.

Har-Ber used a strategy that I've never seen in high school soccer before. They brought their keeper up for all kicks and left the goal open.

dispossessed

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 24, 2014, 12:46:50 pm

Har-Ber used a strategy that I've never seen in high school soccer before. They brought their keeper up for all kicks and left the goal open.

Har-Ber's keeper, O'Brien, also kicked for their football team, and has a strong leg. I guess they thought that they could gain an advantage with his leg and then cover the net with their defense until he got back. I would guess that there was a point, say midfield, where his teammates took FKs and he stayed in goal, correct? 

Congrats to the Tigers. Based on last year's results, I think they came in under the radar a little bit, but had a dominant season, with one of the best back lines and keeper combinations that I've seen in awhile. Not sure how many clean sheets they had this year, but they were tough to breakdown defensively. Well done, BHS!

VHSCoach2

Quote from: dispossessed on May 24, 2014, 06:21:51 pm
Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 24, 2014, 12:46:50 pm

Har-Ber's keeper, O'Brien, also kicked for their football team, and has a strong leg. I guess they thought that they could gain an advantage with his leg and then cover the net with their defense until he got back. I would guess that there was a point, say midfield, where his teammates took FKs and he stayed in goal, correct? 

Congrats to the Tigers. Based on last year's results, I think they came in under the radar a little bit, but had a dominant season, with one of the best back lines and keeper combinations that I've seen in awhile. Not sure how many clean sheets they had this year, but they were tough to breakdown defensively. Well done, BHS!

On the contrary, O'Brien took all the free kicks.

With three minutes remaining in the match, he was even all the way up the field trying to score off of a corner kick sent in by his teammate.

dispossessed

OK. The match was basically out of reach at that point. Late in matches you'll often see keepers come up and play as a field player. At that point, there's not much left to lose.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas